50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiskfan

Quote from: Andy600 on September 18, 2013, 09:36:06 PM
Suddenly there are lots of new 50D users :)

Yes, I just got mine just because of that I found this cool thing. :)
(and a little bit for the reason that I got hold of a cheap 120-300 2.8 Sigma for Canon)

Mkolaj

I know I shouldn't post stupid tests, but I do have a question. I see a little flickering on the left, I like that very much (looks more like film frames with subtle exposure differences). I would like to have control over that, because in well lit scenes, nothing like that happens.

Do we know what causes it? So one could use it as an effect?

menoc

Quote from: Mkolaj on September 18, 2013, 10:12:42 PM

I know I shouldn't post stupid tests, but I do have a question. I see a little flickering on the left, I like that very much (looks more like film frames with subtle exposure differences). I would like to have control over that, because in well lit scenes, nothing like that happens.

Is this h.264 or RAW? . . . You may have the auto Exposure setting "ON" . . .

joaomoutinho

Quote from: Andy600 on September 18, 2013, 08:47:33 PM
What build are you using? If it's the latest Tragic Lantern with MLV and RAW recording, make sure only one is in use.

Have you disabled everything in the Canon menu (HTP, Noise Reduction etc etc) and selected a Jpeg setting (not raw)?

How long have you had the 50D and what's it's shutter count? (see debug menu)

I get Benchmark crashes occasionally but not had any problems recording EVER.

P.s. your pics are tiny. I can't make out any info. If you upload more please make them larger but keep them under 900px wide to keep within forum rules. You can also save screenshots using ML ;)

Everything is of and Jpeg is the set of the image... I got my 50D used and it has 54K shuttercount.

Should I debug the camera trying different settings? Thank you for the advice!!

Asiertxu

Hi Mkolaj!
The reason of that flickering effect that you get is produced because you (probably...) have
the "focus peaking" feature activated!...and you are recording IN H264, NOT RAW, isn,t it?
I´ve noticed that effect myself on mine!
Try to film without this feature to see the effect!
Cheers...
Asier.

Mkolaj

This is RAW, I extracted DNG's with RAWanizer and corrected them in AE. I will try to disable focus peaking, but it is disabled while recording.

araucaria

Quote from: Mkolaj on September 19, 2013, 09:17:58 AM
This is RAW, I extracted DNG's with RAWanizer and corrected them in AE. I will try to disable focus peaking, but it is disabled while recording.
Probably the ACR flickering, don't use shadow recovery or highlight recovery.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7571.0

Asiertxu

QuoteThis is RAW, I extracted DNG's with RAWanizer and corrected them in AE. I will try to disable focus peaking, but it is disabled while recording.

It is not focus peaking that is causing that fickering in your footage then ...
It sould be what araucaria is telling you.
Cheers...
Asier.

LEVISDAVIS

ACR will absolutely produce/introduce flickering. I'd stay away from using fill light and highlight recovery whenever possible.

Also, I too have actually taken a very similar shot as what you posted. Interestingly enough, when exporting from ACR and using .psd I noticed that there was a great deal of additional artifacts implemented into the image. It looked like there was a heat wave in the out-of-focus BG.

If you don't believe me try rendering out say like 1 second of video using .psd and then render out the same 1 second of video using .tif (make sure to use .tif and not .TIF). Kind of a cool thing, right? But, definitely a definitive process that has to be discovered by shooting a great deal of situations and circumstances... So keep on shooting and enjoy.
Levi S. Davis

LEVISDAVIS

After a couple weeks of testing the prototype 50D VAF the one thing that stands out the most about this filter is the ability to push the RAW image in post. When aliasing and moiré occurs in your footage the post-production color correction process has a limitation. That is why I decided to acquire a VAF from Mosaic Engineering. Interestingly, what I wasn't expecting to come about, at least so dramatically, was the range of colors that the 50D could handle with the VAF in place.

The 50D aliasing issue causes post-production color correction limitations.  It's a factor that must be configured into the color correction process. However, with the limitation seemingly removed, especially during close-ups & mid shots, the images derived from the 50D become far more capable in post-production processes.

For example, when color correcting footage without the VAF I find that my scopes rest in the 50 - 70% legal television chroma-value range before the image proves qualities of aliasing, moiré, and false color. With the VAF in place I regular find myself beyond television chroma-value limits and the image appears to want to go even further without breakdowns in skin tones and other artifacts. This is a very positive attribute that is only derived from a camera that has a lot of flexibility. So as a result, you know, the prototype 50D VAF is proving very valuable to the workflow.

Not to say that everything is totally perfect. There are some additional issues with the filter that need to be addressed. Currently, parfocal lensing is not possible. The VAF negates the user's ability to zoom in on a subject, adjust focus, zoom out from the subject and maintain focus throughout the entire focal distance. However, that is not an issue with prime lensing. I am currently in the process of speaking with Mosaic Engineering to address the filter's performance.

If you follow the link you will be directed to download sample DNG images as well as video footage. You'll notice that the filter eliminates about 85 - 90 percent of the moiré and aliasing in the chroma channels. The luma channels appear to hold aliasing and moiré but the percentage is about 93 - 97 percent eliminated.

https://copy.com/IOqlwsmWUi8i

So what do you think? Would 92 - 100 percent moiré elimination actually take away from detail & texture? Is 100% moiré and aliasing elimination a better solution because the shooter would never have to worry about when and when not to use filters to block moiré and aliasing? Or, would you prefer more texture and detail with the chance of moiré and aliasing in the image?

More or less that is what I'm thinking about the filter right now. The right thing to do will be to post another response after addressing this with Mosaic Engineering. I presume we all want to know just how much of an impact the VAF can make, right? Until then, thanks for reading and enjoy your time.
Levi S. Davis

Andy600

NEW TRAGIC LANTERN BUILD FOR 50D

I've uploaded a new build of Tragic Lantern for the 50D.

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

This update features:

Proportional fonts - looks nice! :) (new fonts folder)
Dot-tune and Silent Pics are now modules - remember to load them from the modules menu if you use them.
mlv_rec appears as 'RAW Video (MLV)' in the movie menu. Remember to only have one raw module enabled at any time and MLV is still experimental.
Numerous other fixes, tweaks and module info pages with forum links.

For more detailed information about updates check out the code commits for eveything upto and including this build: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/commits/all

If you experience module linking errors (you shouldn't btw) make sure your modules folder does not contain any older modules. I recommend deleting your current modules folder before updating to this new build.

To install simply copy the contents of the zip to your CF card.

Thanks to 1% for his 50D work and to a1ex, g3gg0 and others for continuing to develop our wonderful Magic Lantern! :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

maxotics

Awesome Andy600!  THANKS!

However, when I went into crop mode it didn't shoot crop. (1600x900 16:9) Or it did, but didn't frame correctly in the preview screen.  My subject's head filled the entire screen, but the RAW files shows his head all the way to the right.    Is "ML Gray" the best setting for preview?  Thanks.  And THANKS again! 

Andy600

Quote from: maxotics on September 20, 2013, 01:09:33 AM
Awesome Andy600!  THANKS!

However, when I went into crop mode it didn't shoot crop. (1600x900 16:9) Or it did, but didn't frame correctly in the preview screen.  My subject's head filled the entire screen, but the RAW files shows his head all the way to the right.    Is "ML Gray" the best setting for preview?  Thanks.  And THANKS again!

Set zoombox to 5xcenter setting. Press the joystick once in non-crop mode and again in crop mode. AFAIK It works as it did previously.

Preview setting is whatever works best for you ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

maxotics

I couldn't figure out the Zoombox setting (okay, I had a beer), but pressing the joystick as you suggested did the trick.  Thanks again, Andy!  Looks really nice and I just want to say again, your posting of stable builds is worth a lot! 

As I've offered elsewhere.  I have a 50D and an EOS-M.  If you need anything tested let me know through PM etc.

artiswar

Any tips here for desqueezing DNGs before pulling them into Resolve? Or possibly desqueezing in Resolve 10? This would make anamorphic much easier.

Edit: Should've googled. For future reference: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/19768#19782

Andy600

Resolve has 2x anamorphic settings. If you need 1.33x, 1.5x or 1.7x you can do it in ACR or Raw Therapee.

artiswar

Quote from: Andy600 on September 20, 2013, 02:33:17 AM
Resolve has 2x anamorphic settings. If you need 1.33x, 1.5x or 1.7x you can do it in ACR or Raw Therapee.

Thanks Andy. Your post and my edit were seconds apart!

thorstone137

Hey Guys.. I've been having a blast with my 50d raw footage. Thanks again!

First, I've just installed the latest Tragic Lantern from Andy600 and I'm using the Komputer Bay 1000x 32gb card.

That said, I'm having a hard time getting a resolution beyond 1920 wide.. I was hoping that by altering my aspect ratio to something like 2.5:1 I could get 1920 wide and beyond and still get 6+sec shots..

Any clues or ideas.. Is there another build I should use?

50Deezil

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on September 19, 2013, 11:15:12 PM
After a couple weeks of testing the prototype 50D VAF the one thing that stands out the most about this filter is the ability to push the RAW image in post. When aliasing and moiré occurs in your footage the post-production color correction process has a limitation. That is why I decided to acquire a VAF from Mosaic Engineering. Interestingly, what I wasn't expecting to come about, at least so dramatically, was the range of colors that the 50D could handle with the VAF in place.

The 50D aliasing issue causes post-production color correction limitations.  It's a factor that must be configured into the color correction process. However, with the limitation seemingly removed, especially during close-ups & mid shots, the images derived from the 50D become far more capable in post-production processes.

For example, when color correcting footage without the VAF I find that my scopes rest in the 50 - 70% legal television chroma-value range before the image proves qualities of aliasing, moiré, and false color. With the VAF in place I regular find myself beyond television chroma-value limits and the image appears to want to go even further without breakdowns in skin tones and other artifacts. This is a very positive attribute that is only derived from a camera that has a lot of flexibility. So as a result, you know, the prototype 50D VAF is proving very valuable to the workflow.

Not to say that everything is totally perfect. There are some additional issues with the filter that need to be addressed. Currently, parfocal lensing is not possible. The VAF negates the user's ability to zoom in on a subject, adjust focus, zoom out from the subject and maintain focus throughout the entire focal distance. However, that is not an issue with prime lensing. I am currently in the process of speaking with Mosaic Engineering to address the filter's performance.

If you follow the link you will be directed to download sample DNG images as well as video footage. You'll notice that the filter eliminates about 85 - 90 percent of the moiré and aliasing in the chroma channels. The luma channels appear to hold aliasing and moiré but the percentage is about 93 - 97 percent eliminated.

https://copy.com/IOqlwsmWUi8i

So what do you think? Would 92 - 100 percent moiré elimination actually take away from detail & texture? Is 100% moiré and aliasing elimination a better solution because the shooter would never have to worry about when and when not to use filters to block moiré and aliasing? Or, would you prefer more texture and detail with the chance of moiré and aliasing in the image?

More or less that is what I'm thinking about the filter right now. The right thing to do will be to post another response after addressing this with Mosaic Engineering. I presume we all want to know just how much of an impact the VAF can make, right? Until then, thanks for reading and enjoy your time.

Thanks for this thorough review and samples.  I think so far it's pretty good.  It's hard to say if just a bit more of an aggressive filter in order to get rid of the Moire even more would be too much.  I think right now it would be adequate the way it is for most situations, but some people really want to get rid of the colored Moire more than anything.  IMO the detail still looks adequate and i'm sure with a bit of sharpening the image would be great.

Do you know if they're going to tweak their formula just a bit more or leave it as is?

PhilK

Many thanks for the feedback on this Levi!

I've not got time to dive into the files before work (thanks though) but how close to Production quality is it do you think?

1%

All picture taking things appear broken today, don't let it surprise you. I think its from silent pic becoming a module. Tested on 6D/7D/600D

akumiszcza

Quote from: Andy600 on September 20, 2013, 12:39:41 AM
NEW TRAGIC LANTERN BUILD FOR 50D

I've uploaded a new build of Tragic Lantern for the 50D.

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Great! I've been waiting for this build. But not because of the things you've mentioned, but auto ettr/dual iso link (I hope it's included). See: AETTR + DUAL ISO: The Ultimate Automated Perfect Image Exposure-Beginners'Guide
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8322.msg76355#msg76355

Auto snap and always on modes don't work on nightlies, but work on tragic lantern. I can't wait to test the new build on the weekend. Thanks!

Andy600

IMPORTANT

The last build (Sept20th which is now deleted) had a small bug that may have affected photo functions.

Download the fixed one: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

akumiszcza

In last TL build (corrected) if I try to load script.mo all modules fail to load with Err - Linking failed.

a1ex

The build maintainers should probably try the modules before publishing them ;)