50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: PhilK on September 14, 2013, 07:17:00 AM
Thanks Levi, this looks good for being the first prototype!

One small thing, can you remove the s from the https in your Vimeo link - it will embed in the forum properly then.

HHL

Quote from: Messerjocke on September 14, 2013, 09:21:10 AM
Not true. It runs fine with my ATI HD5670. Allows fluid grading oft ML dng sequences. Playback oft HD sequences reaches ab out 10 to 15 fps. It's a Windows7/64bit box with 8GB ram, i5 quadcore.

Great to hear.  Thanks for sharing.  ...may have to look into getting that card.  Nice and cheap!  Thanks again....

HHL

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on September 13, 2013, 06:57:44 PM
50D Prototype Anti-Aliasing Filter Video Test... Available at...

http://youtu.be/0VLn6GzFpzM

Download DNG images and ProRes 422 video of the prototype 50D anti-aliasing filter from Mosaic Engineering at...
https://copy.com/IOqlwsmWUi8i

Thanks so much for posting LevisDavis!  I'm soooo excited that they are working on this.  I can't wait to buy one!  Have you heard Any expected time frame?

Naif

Super exciting Levi, thanks for testing and posting. Any idea if this will be as openly available as the others? Really hoping to get my hands on one but haven't been able to get any response out of Mosaic.

Messerjocke

I would not go for that card, even if on a budget. GT640 is cheap as well and should perform much better.

Quote from: HHL on September 14, 2013, 02:12:38 PM
Great to hear.  Thanks for sharing.  ...may have to look into getting that card.  Nice and cheap!  Thanks again....

derkiki

@father_v

Nice writeup. I had a shoot recently and used my app "Son of Batch" on a macbook pro to review clips. You can scrub through raw files and make proxies. It's not perfect yet but usable. It was pretty helpful to show the client stuff or to just make sure a tricky shot was in the can. If you're on a mac, check it out:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7266.msg61173#msg61173

derkiki

dogmydog

First test with 50D MLV RAW. Dont mind filmed content, it was just to test the feature.

Lots of corrupted frames. Spanned files joined with FSJoiner, then mlv2dng.exe by gnarr (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0)
DNGs imported into AE CC and exported to DxHD and H264.

Canon 50D
Canon EF-S 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 (no filters)
Transcend 32GB 1000x CF card

Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.Build.2013Sep08\
Crop Mode 3x - 1472x828 16:9 29.97fps
ML Settings:
Auto ETTR: HalfS
Exp Override; 29;970, Exact FPS
MLV RAW ON, GD on
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

Don't record GD on... esp on 50D/7D/5DII. Dialog timers should be off too... slowing them down on 50D isn't enough, it can't even do a burst without a lot of corruption. Canon GUI is all love, stealing write speed and ruining frames.

Andy600

Also, drop your frame rate unless you're really shooting for US TV broadcast and don't use ETTR, set your exposure manually.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on September 14, 2013, 08:01:49 PM
Don't record GD on... esp on 50D/7D/5DII. Dialog timers should be off too... slowing them down on 50D isn't enough, it can't even do a burst without a lot of corruption. Canon GUI is all love, stealing write speed and ruining frames.

Tyvm for the input, 1%! I've recorded with GD on in RAW mode, with no problems so far, but i'll keep that in mind for my next MLV test.
I'll do another one on Monday and post results here :D

Quote from: Andy600 on September 14, 2013, 08:08:37 PM
Also, drop your frame rate unless you're really shooting for US TV broadcast and don't use ETTR, set your exposure manually.

Thank you, Andy! I'm about to do a job shooting heavy machinery on this Wednesday.
I need the 29.97 to capture the movements properly and reduce shutter strobering while I move camera.

Also, about ETTR, pardon my ignorance, but how does it affect the footage since it's not on always on mode?

I appreciate all help and input and apologize in advance for noob questions :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Andy600

@dodmydog - the ETTR module alters shutter speed and subsequently can lead to very staccato motion. I prefer to have manual control over the shutter. You can limit how slow Auto ETTR will let the shutter go but not how high.

For raw video exposure I set my shutter speed manually and use the raw histogram. I tend to choose an aperture depending on the light and the DOF I want to achieve, then use ISO or a variable ND to push/pull exposure until the green channel is starting to clip then pull back maybe 1/2 - 1 stop (ISO). I get good exposure every time using this method.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

You can have GD just better to let the module turn it off while recording. You may or may not get pink framed.

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on September 15, 2013, 07:35:02 PM
You can have GD just better to let the module turn it off while recording. You may or may not get pink framed.

Quote from: Andy600 on September 15, 2013, 05:16:08 PM
@dodmydog - the ETTR module alters shutter speed and subsequently can lead to very staccato motion. I prefer to have manual control over the shutter. You can limit how slow Auto ETTR will let the shutter go but not how high.

For raw video exposure I set my shutter speed manually and use the raw histogram. I tend to choose an aperture depending on the light and the DOF I want to achieve, then use ISO or a variable ND to push/pull exposure until the green channel is starting to clip then pull back maybe 1/2 - 1 stop (ISO). I get good exposure every time using this method.

Turns out I had a bad Transcend 32GB 1000x CF Card ... it died on the weekend during a shoot.
I cant get it recognized not by camera, computer or laptop.

Is there a way of skipping corrupt frames in AE? I'm still extracting DNGs from shots, but i have a feeling i might have some corrupt frames due this $#$@!$$## card :(

As usual, thx for help
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Andy600

Sorry to hear about your card :(

You can just delete any corrupt DNGs before AE import. It should still load as a sequence. Hope the corrupt frames were only at the start or end of your shots.

rommex

I used to work with my Cinema DNGs on Davinci Resolve 9 and graded several projects. After upgrading to R10 all my 50d RAW clips look just black in Resolve. Any ideas to remedy?

joaomoutinho

Hi guys,

I have a problem that is freaking me out!! I have the latest tragiclantern build and I am using mlvraw... There is one thing that I dont understand, is how to control the shutterspeed!! Its annoying because it looks like it is locked in one defenition! Ive tried all buttons and combinations and i can move from    1/34 

There is any thread to explain how this works? or anyone? searched and didnt seem to find an answer... Thank you guys

vprocessing

Hi to all !

I'm discovering RAW with the 50D...AND It is Awesome !!!!!!!!! Never seen something nicer out of a cam...

I had on my 2nd time test shooting 2 problems with the "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file"
First was with a splitted file so I joined them with terminal and it was OK for use with RawMagic
The second is a clip who had "skipped frame"...the 50D just got blocked on the skippinng frame I had to pull out battery.
Then I have a 4,29 .RAW file and a 807ko .R00 file...
I've tried to change the footer with the 4GB one like before on this thread launched by "Shield"...
I just pasted it at the end of the file with Hexfiend...so the file was recognized by RawMagic but it is all purple crazyness !!!!
Am I doing the procedure bad ?
To finish, As I had this skipped frame I wanted to benchmark my Komputerbay x1000 UDMA7 64Go...the 5min benchmark never ends...
The buffer card bench give me results about 43,7MB/s, 40,1MB/s,44,1MB/s, 46,1MB/s (for this value buffer=19371k)
Should I send it back for exchange ?

For all those asking about graphic cards visit netkas.org, also on same subject Blackmagic official support often answer...

Andy600

Quote from: joaomoutinho on September 17, 2013, 08:54:04 PM
Hi guys,

I have a problem that is freaking me out!! I have the latest tragiclantern build and I am using mlvraw... There is one thing that I dont understand, is how to control the shutterspeed!! Its annoying because it looks like it is locked in one defenition! Ive tried all buttons and combinations and i can move from    1/34 

There is any thread to explain how this works? or anyone? searched and didnt seem to find an answer... Thank you guys

You probably have shutter lock on. Check in movie menu > movie tweaks.

If that isn't the problem delete your config files and restart the camera.

Andy600

Quote from: rommex on September 17, 2013, 06:10:19 PM
I used to work with my Cinema DNGs on Davinci Resolve 9 and graded several projects. After upgrading to R10 all my 50d RAW clips look just black in Resolve. Any ideas to remedy?

Try re-saving the project. If the problem persists re-import the footage.

joaomoutinho

Quote from: Andy600 on September 17, 2013, 10:39:57 PM
You probably have shutter lock on. Check in movie menu > movie tweaks.

If that isn't the problem delete your config files and restart the camera.

I dont understand this... Sometimes I manage to change the Shuterspeed value, others I dont. Completely random!! the value that it is locked is not 1/34 but 1/27.3

Really driving me crazy as hell

1%

QuoteI just pasted it at the end of the file with Hexfiend...so the file was recognized by RawMagic but it is all purple crazyness !!!!
Am I doing the procedure bad ?

Record another file at the same resolution and frame rate, take the header from that an change the frame count. Does hexfiend show ascii, because everyone is having problems and getting same results when using it. The headers start with RAWM

menoc

Guys, I know that the 50D and 5D II do not support eXFat file format. Does the 7D support eXFat file format? . . . I don't have one so I couldn't try it, but I am considering getting one.

vprocessing

Hexfiend (I'm on Mac) has a "text encoding" menu where you can choose ASCII(strict7bit).
It works !!!! 1% you're so great !!!!!
Indeed it works partially but it is my fault... I think I miss something...when you say change frame count it is about duration of the .RAW...?
The converted wrong file (4,29GB)  has given the same duration (number of dngs) as the .RAW (1,64GB) that I've taken header from i.e. only 768 dngs from 4,29GB .RAW...
How can I get frame count easely??
My reference file is 1,64GB .RAW file = 768*2,4Mb = 1,87GB DNG folder... ?? my dngs are 1468/824 pix = 2,4Mb
Anyway... I made 4,29/2,4=1865,...
When I tried to have 1865 in hexfiend with 0749...it gave me a 4 785 920 frames in RAWmagic !!!!!!!!! I stopped it when I see strange pics and so I got my 4,91 GB folder with 2012 dngs from 4,29GB.RAW...

I found statman.info that can help for conversion with the same logic as Shield...but not totally...
hexfiend seems NOT to have same logic as Shield for ex
Shield : 9e 08 = 2206 frames  /// Hexfiend 9E08 = -25080 /// Stateman.info 2206 = 89e
Shield : 80 04 =1152 frames  /// Hexfiend 8004 = -32764 /// Stateman.info 1152 = 480

Anyway...NOW you all know I'm a looser/piece of... with math... :o... BUT I HAVE MY FILE !!!!!  8)
But I'm sure this can help others so I took the right to write...
AND AGAIN 1% ! WITH YOUR HELP AND KNOWLEDGE IT WORKED FOR ME !!!! Please send me a poster of you !