50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tihon

Nice results, and i can kill the moire a little. Try it by yourself using this settings, thanks.  I want to see more tests.)

p.s.: thanks for the dng file
Cinema, cinema, cinema

menoc

Quote from: lomka on September 12, 2013, 08:45:15 PM
planning to get canon 50D for raw video (i'm raising money), so i'm here to ask you guys does it worth it? i have some questions
1. is it true that you cant use over 1/120 shutter speed in 24p mode?
2. does ettr work in video mode?
3. does it worth that money to get vaf?
4. can i use manual canon lens?

Answers:

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.

Nachelsoul

Testing the 50D RAW this summer.

LEVISDAVIS

Received a prototype VAF filter from Mosaic Engineering yesterday afternoon. Went through a couple tests thus far... Feel free to download DNGs of the 50D with the prototype VAF...

https://copy.com/IOqlwsmWUi8i

Thanks. The company producing/inventing/manufacturing the filter is called Mosaic Engineering. They are headquartered in Pennsylvania, USA. The footage is shot in Phoenix, AZ. I am not affiliated with Mosaic Engineering or Magic Lantern other than I'm trying to put the two and two together... In my opinion, this combination is an incredible opportunity to create an appropriate production camera with high-quality imagery and feel-good results.

Enjoy!

...(Rending raw video results in background...) Video samples available soon.
Levi S. Davis

dsManning

Thanks for the updates regarding the new filter.

On another update note, DaVinci Resolve 10 Public Beta is live on the BlackMagic site.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

As always, the Lite version is free.  Haven't tested new features yet, but from the preview a month or so ago, it looks nice!

1%

aaaand still no AMD support on windows.

LEVISDAVIS

Read up that the new Mac Pro is running open GL AMD graphics cards... Wouldn't this warrant a need for AMD support?

Myself, I just lost support for having Mac OSX 10.7... Can't upgrade to 10.8 because of the Mac Pro's build date. Still though it's a 2.66 8 core with 16 GB ram and a 1GB HD5770...
Levi S. Davis

LEVISDAVIS

Davinci Resolve Lite Readme file states * OpenCL support for AMD GPUs on Windows
Levi S. Davis

1%

Davinci resolve lite also says nvidia driver required... I saw no mention of AMD, maybe its buried in there.

Andy600

I think AMD cards are properly supported but I've now got issues with an Nvidia card that has OpenCL. Was working fine on V9 but V10 keeps crashing. Just hope a rollback works :(
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Solved my own problem :)

If anyone else gets OpenCl errors when starting Resolve 10, go to the advanced tab and enter:

LsManager.3.NumGPUs = 1
LsManager.3.GPUMapping = 0
LsManager.3.GPUMappingEnable = 1

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

father_v

Alright a report from the field here - shot a promo on a 50D raw the other day. Apologies if it's a bore but may be handy for any thread stalkers like me planning a shoot!:

First things first - the latest versions are getting incredibly stable given what they're doing. equivalent to the red MX i'd say...

I was shooting on 2 x 32GB Sandisk extreme 60mbs (these were fine for the 50D's sizes up to a point, I was shooting 720p or just above to make sure I wasn't burning through cards at a silly rate) & 1x 64gb 1000x komputerbay. Couple of idiosyncrasies with both of these cards - first the Sandisk wouldn't give an up to date read-out of available space and would 'pop' the camera when full requiring a battery pull. I'm guessing this was because they're slower, but overrall I head less crashes with these than the Komputerbay, which I guess comes from build quality.

I'm wondering if you could chance a 400x transcend, anyone have any experience with this? If I was shooting regularly on the 50D I think a Nexto SSD backup would probably be a good investment - you reallllllly burn through the cards so something to just back something up immediately would be fantastic. Obviously no duplicate so it'd be at your own peril. Any idea if a less hungry (12 bit?) format has progressed any further? Or if this is even possible...

Towards the end of the day, having shot outdoors on a relatively sunny one, I had some problems with overheating setting the framerate back from 30.4 to 22. 10 minute break to cool off fixed this.

Battery's, I had 6 - 4 old & 2 new + a battery grip. I bought the two new ones for this shoot and i'm now of the opinion that anyone suffering quick battery drain has got old, dud batts. The two new lasted virtually all of the first day of shooting & I fired through the old 4 in another 2 hours. Given that I already have the grip i'm going to shoot on eneloop rechargeable AAs next time, should offer a good bit more capacity. Really, you're going to burn through your cards at a 5/1 ratio to your batteries at least so it's not too much of a concern.

Exposure, no problems. I generally shot under 1-2 stops outdoors as I wanted to get the sky in & I trusted id be able to pull what I needed out of the blacks - and you can.

Having no playback...yknow, if you need to show clients rushes on set then this camera's ruled out. Dont bother with DaVinci, it can't deal with CDNG's out of the 50D - I went through after effects and pre-graded every shot which was a long process but actually a godsend when it comes to editing as everything is halfway there. Given it took me 3 days to transcode everything for editing - this camera is for labours of love, where you have time in post. But the aesthetic is absolutely, hands down, unbelievable. I much prefer it to blackmagic & i'd say it's closest aesthetic is Alexa. I really cannot rave about the image quality enough - beautiful.

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on September 13, 2013, 04:43:47 PM
I think AMD cards are properly supported but I've now got issues with an Nvidia card that has OpenCL. Was working fine on V9 but V10 keeps crashing. Just hope a rollback works :(

Yep. It keeps crashing on me too.

Andy600

Quote from: menoc on September 13, 2013, 05:42:08 PM
Yep. It keeps crashing on me too.

Did you try what I wrote above?

1%

It GPFs on me when "loading surface"

Andy600

[OT] Resolve 10's optical flow is pretty damn good! I can do very passable slowmo on 50D footage now  8)

Love that you can set sharpness in the debayer too and it feels like debayering in general has improved quite a bit. Not sure (yet) if it will replace my Rawtherapee workflow but it's very promising.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on September 13, 2013, 06:00:00 PM
It GPFs on me when "loading surface"

Are you using a hardware controller?

Run the CaptureLogs.bat in the Black Magic folder (program files). It will write a zip to your desktop. Look in the zip for ResolveDebug.txt. Might give you some hints.

menoc

Quote from: father_v on September 13, 2013, 05:03:41 PM
Alright a report from the field here - shot a promo on a 50D raw the other day. Apologies if it's a bore but may be handy for any thread stalkers like me planning a shoot!:

First things first - the latest versions are getting incredibly stable given what they're doing. equivalent to the red MX i'd say...

I was shooting on 2 x 32GB Sandisk extreme 60mbs (these were fine for the 50D's sizes up to a point, I was shooting 720p or just above to make sure I wasn't burning through cards at a silly rate) & 1x 64gb 1000x komputerbay. Couple of idiosyncrasies with both of these cards - first the Sandisk wouldn't give an up to date read-out of available space and would 'pop' the camera when full requiring a battery pull. I'm guessing this was because they're slower, but overrall I head less crashes with these than the Komputerbay, which I guess comes from build quality.

I'm wondering if you could chance a 400x transcend, anyone have any experience with this? If I was shooting regularly on the 50D I think a Nexto SSD backup would probably be a good investment - you reallllllly burn through the cards so something to just back something up immediately would be fantastic. Obviously no duplicate so it'd be at your own peril. Any idea if a less hungry (12 bit?) format has progressed any further? Or if this is even possible...

Towards the end of the day, having shot outdoors on a relatively sunny one, I had some problems with overheating setting the framerate back from 30.4 to 22. 10 minute break to cool off fixed this.

Battery's, I had 6 - 4 old & 2 new + a battery grip. I bought the two new ones for this shoot and i'm now of the opinion that anyone suffering quick battery drain has got old, dud batts. The two new lasted virtually all of the first day of shooting & I fired through the old 4 in another 2 hours. Given that I already have the grip i'm going to shoot on eneloop rechargeable AAs next time, should offer a good bit more capacity. Really, you're going to burn through your cards at a 5/1 ratio to your batteries at least so it's not too much of a concern.

Exposure, no problems. I generally shot under 1-2 stops outdoors as I wanted to get the sky in & I trusted id be able to pull what I needed out of the blacks - and you can.

Having no playback...yknow, if you need to show clients rushes on set then this camera's ruled out. Dont bother with DaVinci, it can't deal with CDNG's out of the 50D - I went through after effects and pre-graded every shot which was a long process but actually a godsend when it comes to editing as everything is halfway there. Given it took me 3 days to transcode everything for editing - this camera is for labours of love, where you have time in post. But the aesthetic is absolutely, hands down, unbelievable. I much prefer it to blackmagic & i'd say it's closest aesthetic is Alexa. I really cannot rave about the image quality enough - beautiful.

I wrote something about it in my blog. It's going to get a bit easier . . .
http://theindieshooter.com/2013/09/11/native-cinema-dng-support-for-adobe-premiere-pro-cc-coming-in-october-2013/

LEVISDAVIS

50D Prototype Anti-Aliasing Filter Video Test... Available at...

http://youtu.be/0VLn6GzFpzM

Download DNG images and ProRes 422 video of the prototype 50D anti-aliasing filter from Mosaic Engineering at...
https://copy.com/IOqlwsmWUi8i
Levi S. Davis

Andy600

Thanks for the VAF test Levi. Looks promising.

I'm trying to download a couple of your dngs but they seem way too small and won't open. Are they still uploading? ignore - was a Copy error

araucaria

Resolve 10 is out and the pink dots are gone!!!

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on September 13, 2013, 05:47:20 PM
Did you try what I wrote above?

Yes. But my system is Ancient - 2008 MacPro 1,1, Dual core Intel Xeon, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8

Same as Levi, can't upgrade to 10.8 anymore and have not found a copy of 10.7. My laptop on the other hand is a brand-spanking-new macbook pro - I'll try on that instead.

PhilK

Thanks Levi, this looks good for being the first prototype!

One small thing, can you remove the s from the https in your Vimeo link - it will embed in the forum properly then.

Messerjocke

Quote from: 1% on September 13, 2013, 03:22:21 PM
aaaand still no AMD support on windows.

Not true. It runs fine with my ATI HD5670. Allows fluid grading oft ML dng sequences. Playback oft HD sequences reaches ab out 10 to 15 fps. It's a Windows7/64bit box with 8GB ram, i5 quadcore.

rommex

What do you mean DaVinci doesn't support CDNGs? Maybe you should update your software?