50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyle4

Hi there,

I currently use a mkii for dual iso and have cr2hdr mac version, will the same version work for 50D at all? if not is there a mac version as i can only find 50DCR2HDR for windows.

What are adtg_gui.mo, ime_base.mo, ime_rot.mo and ime_std.mo please? not seen these before as iv come from 5Dmkii builds.

Hope you can help,
Cheers.

johansugarev

With the latest (18 august) release of andy's magic lantern compile, (freshly installed on a clean 2.3 installation on a brand new kompoterbay card formatted only once in-camera) I have yet to see how autoexposure works. I enable the module and turn it on in the exposure menu with the camera on M mode. Nothing changes with the behaviour of the camera. Am I missing something?

Andy600

Quote from: Doyle4 on September 10, 2013, 05:19:30 PM
Hi there,

I currently use a mkii for dual iso and have cr2hdr mac version, will the same version work for 50D at all? if not is there a mac version as i can only find 50DCR2HDR for windows.

What are adtg_gui.mo, ime_base.mo, ime_rot.mo and ime_std.mo please? not seen these before as iv come from 5Dmkii builds.

Hope you can help,
Cheers.

The mac version should work. Try it ;)

adtg_gui = for exploring adtg registers. It's a dev tool. You don't need to load it for anything else.
The ime modules work with the .mlv module for inputting text etc.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on September 11, 2013, 01:18:22 AM
With the latest (18 august) release of andy's magic lantern compile, (freshly installed on a clean 2.3 installation on a brand new kompoterbay card formatted only once in-camera) I have yet to see how autoexposure works. I enable the module and turn it on in the exposure menu with the camera on M mode. Nothing changes with the behaviour of the camera. Am I missing something?

Works here  ??? It's for photos. You need to set it up. See the Auto exposure thread for info. I haven't used it much so can't help.

BTW you're 2 releases behind https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

johansugarev

I tried not to fiddle with tragic lantern, but since it works there and there are a lot of exciting stuff, here goes.
It works nice for when someone how can't expose happens to use the camera. I want to configure it so it starts pushing the ISO up only when the lowest shutter speed that I have selected isn't giving it enough light. It sort of does it when I pushed the ISO curve to the right a bit.
So I am giving it a minimum shutter of 1/80, ISO from 100-1600 and aperture wide open all the time and what I want is to keep as low as ISO can go until I run out of light for 1/80 at ISO 100 then jack up the iso for a correct exposure. I am guessing the exposure compensation will work as advertised?

Andy600

New discovery: Digic Focus Peaking + Cartoon Look 1 = better peaking :)

Johansugarev - If you're referring to the auto exposure module it's for photos. It doesn't work in Live View. I don't think what you describe is possible. You need auto ISO with ramping and that, AFAIK, doesn't work on the 50D.

Doyle4

New 50D user here, iv used ML on my mkii many of times and i spotted a difference instantly and that is the mkii has movie viewer for live view, when using the 50D for RAW video time lapses using fps override, if i use 1fps is what being shown one the display how it will look? i have a ND filter if so as it looks very over exposed. Im wanting to do day time time lapses btw.

Cheers in advance.

Doyle4

Quote from: Andy600 on September 11, 2013, 01:29:55 AM
The mac version should work. Try it ;)

adtg_gui = for exploring adtg registers. It's a dev tool. You don't need to load it for anything else.
The ime modules work with the .mlv module for inputting text etc.

Thanks Andy600, ill delete what i dont need then :)

johansugarev

Quote from: Andy600 on September 11, 2013, 02:41:42 AM
New discovery: Digic Focus Peaking + Cartoon Look 1 = better peaking :)

Johansugarev - If you're referring to the auto exposure module it's for photos. It doesn't work in Live View. I don't think what you describe is possible. You need auto ISO with ramping and that, AFAIK, doesn't work on the 50D.
I am not that lost and was talking about regular stills without live view. I figured it out and it suits my needs. Thanks :)

PhilK

Quote from: Doyle4 on September 11, 2013, 02:55:54 AM
New 50D user here, iv used ML on my mkii many of times and i spotted a difference instantly and that is the mkii has movie viewer for live view, when using the 50D for RAW video time lapses using fps override, if i use 1fps is what being shown one the display how it will look? i have a ND filter if so as it looks very over exposed. Im wanting to do day time time lapses btw.

Cheers in advance.

Hi Doyle,

What ND filter are you using?

I've found that an ND8 is fine for 2.5 FPS but at 1 FPS the image is over exposed no matter what I've tried to do to stop everything down.

Have a look at this.

The first part is 2.5 FPS and needed little work to correct the exposure, the last scene is 1 FPS and took some work to bring it back.

Of course an overcast day might be OK with an ND8 - try out an ND16 and see what the results are like, I'll be getting one to try slower framerates.

Cheers
Phil

Doyle4

Its a variable one, not that great to be honest, ND2 to 12 i think it is?

footage looks good, i see what you mean at the end, mine where a lot more exposed, screen was almost white.

Think what i need to do is be able to keep shutter speed @1/50 but manage to keep fps low, i noticed when shooting in h264 it became darker about 3seconds in, with RAW i noticed the DNG's opened over exposed and looked like what was on screen.

simulacro

Quote from: Doyle4 on September 11, 2013, 02:55:54 AM

Cheers in advance.

isn't turning intervalometer and silent pics on at the same time a good idea?

zuzukasuma

Quote from: simulacro on September 11, 2013, 01:09:14 PM

of course it is, you keep your shutter count but resolution is much much lower than normal.
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

Doyle4

Quote from: simulacro on September 11, 2013, 01:09:14 PM

Yeah true! have to test that one! got a 600D instead now as the 50D was dying unfortunately and had to take it back :(

menoc

Has anyone heard of any progress on the Mosaic Engineering VAF filter for the 50D?

zuzukasuma

Quote from: menoc on September 11, 2013, 08:51:42 PM
Has anyone heard of any progress on the Mosaic Engineering VAF filter for the 50D?

this should fit to 50D, since they have the same size of hole in front of the lens. http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/txi/main.html
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

Andy600

Quote from: zuzukasuma on September 11, 2013, 11:32:45 PM
this should fit to 50D, since they have the same size of hole in front of the lens. http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/txi/main.html

It might fit the hole but it won't work because the sensors are different.

There is a prototype VAF for the 50D in the hands of one ML forum member now. We're just waiting for the results ;)

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on September 11, 2013, 11:43:31 PM
It might fit the hole but it won't work because the sensors are different.

There is a prototype VAF for the 50D in the hands of one ML forum member now. We're just waiting for the results ;)

Awsome! Hopefully it won't impact exposure too much. As it is the 50D is not the best when it comes to low light.

LEVISDAVIS

Got the prototype 50D VAF in the mail today. Unfortunately, had to go straight to work... Still there. Anyway, brought the camera to work and was able to take quite a few shots here and there... Will be home in about 3 hours to process footage and upload images to ML Forum. Again though, they are not the original shots that I had planned to shoot with the VAF and 50D.

Will record video tomorrow morning. Plan on a better demonstration of the 50D VAF and proper posts on early Friday morning.

... Thus far...

Appears to be little to no light lose.

No moire and alliasing on Canon LCD screen. The Live View 10x mode image is softer.

The VAF may be adding additional flares from lights - Need to double check - - Noticed this with a Nikon 50mm F 1.4 Non-AI that had a 52mm UV filter. However, the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 has a rear element larger than the VAF filter. Didn't notice this issue with the Tokina 12 - 24!

The VAF looks nearly identicle to the T2i filter. Zuzukasuma may be right. However, I highly doubt it is the same product. Mosaic said that they built this unit specifically for the 50D sensor.

The Tokina 12 - 24 is no longer parfocal. Focus setting are different. It's almost as though the focus setting are reversed. Infinity is now macro and macro is now infinity. Will have to look this over again to confirm, though. I assume that every VAF filter has the same issue.

Finally, the electronic components work with the lens. There are no issues using EF electronic lenses with the 50D VAF.

... Anyway, can't wait to get home and process footage... Will conduct proper tests tomorrow morning with a Test Chart and more appropriate video shots such as a brick wall...

Plan on a video post and ML post on Friday morning... I will be reading posts and comments on ML. Leave some feedback and suggestions... We should share what we think. Mosaic says they want to hear how these tests are working out.

Just so you know, I have watched Mosaic Engineering's video posts on their website and basically plan to do the same tests. This includes post sharpening and non-post sharpening.

Expect images from video posted this morning... Remember, this is the prototype and not the final product...
Levi S. Davis

scrizz

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on September 12, 2013, 05:16:07 AM
Got the prototype 50D VAF in the mail today.

Expect images from video posted this morning... Remember, this is the prototype and not the final product...
awesome!!!!

LEVISDAVIS

Update: Canon 50D Mosaic Engineering VAF prototype...

https://copy.com/weRtPp0O9A0w

Uploaded DNGs in groups of 10. Each sequence is named according to the shot... Was at work all day and had to take a break to make this possible... As a result there is only one comparison shot with the VAF and without. Additionally, there are a number of shots displaying the filter using a Tokina 12 - 24mm lens. I only used 12mm and 24mm. Nothing in between. Looks like I may need to test additional focal lengths as there may or may not be edge-to-edge sharpness depending upon F-Stop and focal length...

Will know more during tomorrow's testing at my studios in Tempe, AZ. Will post more photos and quick video displaying the filter at work. This will be broadcasted on Vimeo & YouTube Friday morning.

Lots of Light! :D

Levi S. Davis

johansugarev

PhilK

Thanks for this Levi, looking forward to the videos!

LEVISDAVIS

The VAF is user installable.

The user pinches the AIF filter with a set of custom made tweezers that come with the VAF filter. Basically, the user places / pinches the VAF filter into the body of the camera.... Takes about 10 seconds to install.
Levi S. Davis

lomka

planning to get canon 50D for raw video (i'm raising money), so i'm here to ask you guys does it worth it? i have some questions
1. is it true that you cant use over 1/120 shutter speed in 24p mode?
2. does ettr work in video mode?
3. does it worth that money to get vaf?
4. can i use manual canon lens?