50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

A little, if you get banned once I figure you don't do the same thing to get banned again. Waste of emails/proxys.

dlrpgmsvc

When I change the preview mode in RAW video on 50D, Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug19.50D109, whatever I choose the result is Always "ML Grayscale" when viewed on the LV as soon as the "SET" recording button is activated. Do this is normal ?  :-\
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

1%

Its normal if you're in zoom mode. There are 2 grayscales and if GD is off the 2nd one won't work.

OzNimbus

I'm curious as to how stable it is to shoot 50d raw with a cheap EVF.  I really miss the articulating screen of a 60d, and I'm wondering if an EVF would be practical.

Supermac

Quote from: Andy600 on September 03, 2013, 09:25:41 PM

Is that you again Monti?  ::)

You do realize Mods can check your IP right?

Apologies if you're someone else but posting pointless images like this and sarky comments like your first post will likely get you kicked ;)

You have to admit, the toilet paper is a big improvement on the green cat. Just waiting for the red grid lines to explain the rule of thirds again!

Supermac

On a different note, loving the old pc flash cable on the 50d. My 550d is unreliable firing slave cells because of the preflash.

dsManning

Quote from: Supermac on September 05, 2013, 03:12:10 AM
On a different note, loving the old pc flash cable on the 50d. My 550d is unreliable firing slave cells because of the preflash.

In the world of flash photography, this is the first time I've seen someone say they love PC sync.  Hahah most outdated system in digital photography.   Then, even though I curse it every photo shoot, I don't know what I'd do without it for wireless slave.

Anyone test MLV format for USB LiveView output?  About to test.  Yeah, I'm that guy still resisting buying a HDMI monitor to try to use his Android tablet over USB, since I never figured out why raw_rec stopped the output.

Edit:  No go. Was hopeful mlv_rec would solve this strange outlier for the 50D, but sadly it acts the same as raw_rec.  MLV format is pretty great though with take#s and all, takes too big a hit for 1080 recording right now, but is fine for full frame even with a few LV overlays on.

leosouza

Hello guys i was wondering if any1 could help me . I did all the steps and couldnt make it work. Doesnt appear any error, but when i finish all steps i hit the trash button and nothing happens . I am on Lion Imac but i had to use a windows old laptop i had to be able to complete the step that asks for that .exe file . I got a 32 GB Trancend SD . I really want the feature that allows to change WB while recording ! I would appreciate any help ! Thanks in advance !

ultramaze

Hey guys. I have been off the forum for a while now. Whats new? Whats the most recent firmware? Anything cool happen? haha

ruanjiayuan

I been reading warning of very large file. anyone actually know the size of 1 sec footage?
or how long of a footage does a 8 GB CF card fit?

I am talking about the 50D raw video.

Any input is extremely appreciated !

TrueIndigo

ruanjiayuan, it depends on what frame size/aspect ratio you choose, but shooting say largest frame in 1x (non-crop) mode you'll be lucky to get even 3 minutes worth on an 8 GB card. That's not much even just for testing. Ideally, get a fast large card -- check out buying recommendations on the thread since some brands/sizes are better than others (eg. 64 GB 1000x KomputerBay card is better than their 128 GB card). I have a 64 GB card which allows me to shoot approximately 23 minutes of footage. Not much if you are used to H.264 video -- welcome to the wonderful world of raw file sizes! 

LEVISDAVIS

Canon 50D Prototype VAF Filter Update...

Now have a tracking number, though the item has not yet shipped. Here is an except from Mosaic Engineering... "Return shipping of Levi Davis' 50D (...) including rev. 1 prototype VAF-50D. (...) please let us know how it goes! --MAV"

... Will post photos and videos for ML users and Mosaic Engineering review purposes.

I'm concerned with the 50D VAF filter interfering with the communication between the body and Canon AF / IS lensing as well as the ability of the camera to resolve detail. Do you have any additional suggestions that should be considered during this prototype testing phase?
Levi S. Davis

araucaria

Print a test chart with the highest dpi you have available. The filter should work perfectly fine in full sensor mode, and you should do the tests in that mode. For real life tests I would suggest very fine detail in very contrasty situations. Typical are: Trees against the sky, grass against the sky, water (sea,river,etc...) with very small waves and reflection of buildings on it should give terrible moire without the filter, also distant buidlings (sky line),etc...

In 2.5crop mode (5x zoom) you will be able to see how the filter blurs the lines, it's not suited to film that way, if you want crop mode take the filter off.

darko

Exciting news about prototype, :) guys!

Sorry to bump in guys,
I was away from forum a little, have a question if you can help me with.

Current new set up is 2 x 50D and BMCC multi camera set up.

I ll be filming cinemascope 2.39 with all three camera RAW , BMCC will be A camera and 50D'S mounted on Jib and Steady cam and/or slider simultaneously  .

Question is can 50D be activated to record RAW from remote button or any other ways, wish to be able to record  while keeping an eye on 7" monitor on my jib,
not having to go every time on "Action" and play with camera ,apart from focus thing.

Thanks for your help and yes I am 50D supporter ;) long life to ML!

omfgandy

Hello, Ive been reading the forum for a while, I think all the RAW work is awesome!

Im currently hung up on how to record continuous RAW @ 720p

I have installed ML, and then andy600's TL bin.,

I have changed my settings in camera, to 720p RAW recording, but it just gives me 208 Frames, no more, and stops recording.

is it just that I need a faster CF card? or are there other features I need to make sure are on and off with in the menus

Thanks for read! My current card is 200x.

derkiki

Quote from: darko on September 07, 2013, 01:59:45 PM
Exciting news about prototype, :) guys!

Sorry to bump in guys,
I was away from forum a little, have a question if you can help me with.

Current new set up is 2 x 50D and BMCC multi camera set up.

I ll be filming cinemascope 2.39 with all three camera RAW , BMCC will be A camera and 50D'S mounted on Jib and Steady cam and/or slider simultaneously  .

Question is can 50D be activated to record RAW from remote button or any other ways, wish to be able to record  while keeping an eye on 7" monitor on my jib,
not having to go every time on "Action" and play with camera ,apart from focus thing.

Thanks for your help and yes I am 50D supporter ;) long life to ML!

I think you can set recording to start with half shutter, which is remotely triggerable.

rawmania

Quote from: derkiki on September 07, 2013, 04:47:24 PM
I think you can set recording to start with half shutter, which is remotely triggerable.

Do you have an idea how this can be set (from ML Menu or Canon Menu)?

darko

Quote from: derkiki on September 07, 2013, 04:47:24 PM

Great, thank you ,much appreciated.

LEVISDAVIS

Levi S. Davis

Rewind

Da Vinci

Sooo... Some folks say "Film look, I like Andy's film look" well if you mean cinematic look - it isn't. As Till Shweiger movie was cinematic look.

If you mean film look like those shot on old film then it isn't again exactly that look.

For those who want to see what is real film look shot yesterday on Canon 50d raw video here is it:

akumiszcza

"Green Cat Returns"? Any chance to keep offtopic discussion offtopic?

Da Vinci

Quote from: akumiszcza on September 08, 2013, 10:40:29 AM
"Green Cat Returns"? Any chance to keep offtopic discussion offtopic?

offtopic disctussion is complaining of useless users here like you

me doing job about the title of the topic and you?

akumiszcza

Quote from: omfgandy on September 07, 2013, 04:27:10 PM

Im currently hung up on how to record continuous RAW @ 720p

I have installed ML, and then andy600's TL bin.,

I have changed my settings in camera, to 720p RAW recording, but it just gives me 208 Frames, no more, and stops recording.

is it just that I need a faster CF card? or are there other features I need to make sure are on and off with in the menus

Thanks for read! My current card is 200x.

200x card is too slow for raw. You can get more frames by decreasing fps (eg. to 23.976), turning off Global Draw features, turning on some hack settings in ML. But most probably it will be too slow anyway.

akumiszcza

Quote from: rawmania on September 07, 2013, 08:41:54 PM
Do you have an idea how this can be set (from ML Menu or Canon Menu)?

REC key: HalfShutter in movie menu.