50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: menoc on August 29, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
Well . . . there's got to be a hidden gem out there on ebay that is around $200. . .

There might be something vintage. I'll have a think ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 09:28:33 PM
first of all when u crop in the lens
you already defish it pretty much

secondly if u dont shoot something very close
then u dont have this perspective distortion that all wide angles giving
like pinnocio long nose etc

so u dont have to do anything about it pretty much

The 8mm distorts even in crop mode. I've tried it. The Tokina 11-16mm is also a much better lens.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

of coz if u have like 600-700 buck u can get tokina
or get sigma for 400-450 buck

otherwise fisheye rokinon 8 mm is only choise for 249 buck

Andy600

A Tokina for $400 is very much a possibility. The other option is to get an anamorphic. There are a few 2x for around that kind of money and it will give you a wider field of view with cool bokeh and flares. It's actually a much cooler option in my opinion ;)

menoc

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 09:28:33 PM
first of all when u crop in the lens
you already defish it pretty much

secondly if u dont shoot something very close
then u dont have this perspective distortion that all wide angles giving
like pinnocio long nose etc

so u dont have to do anything about it pretty much

I see what you're saying. There will still be some distortion around the edges . . . the price sounds right though.

Monti

Quote from: menoc on August 29, 2013, 09:45:10 PM
I see what you're saying. There will still be some distortion around the edges . . . the price sounds right though.

this is what you going to get on 8 mm rokinon
i love fisheye
im going to buy this one
coz it gives 180 degree view

and normal wide angles only like 110 degree

ps that little distortion u get on crop mode can easily be fixed in program

and for normal things i can use 18 mm nikon lens i have on crop it gives like 85 mm
18 mm is on any kit lenses. like 18-105 from nikon i have

but if u want to get such thing u can buy even cheaper versions like 18-55 mm

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 09:30:38 PM
The 8mm distorts even in crop mode. I've tried it. The Tokina 11-16mm is also a much better lens.

The Tokina looks good Andy. It's as low as $300ish used on Amazon.

Andy600

@menoc - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Iscomorphot-16-2x-Anamorphic-Cinemascope-Lens-/200956832944?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ec9f5ecb0 right on the money and a seriously nice lens for video. You'll be able to shoot over 2.5k 16:9 with this. I would buy it myself if I could.

Pair it with a Helios 44M-2 or an old Nikon 50mm (as both flare) and you'll get pure Hollywood ;)

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 09:36:33 PM
A Tokina for $400 is very much a possibility. The other option is to get an anamorphic. There are a few 2x for around that kind of money and it will give you a wider field of view with cool bokeh and flares. It's actually a much cooler option in my opinion ;)

i want anamorphic lens for canon 50d raw video

do you know which ones are on sale?

i just have no idea about this thing

id like to buy one from amazon.co.uk or some shop
not familiar with ebay things

dlrpgmsvc

There are no solutions for crop mode in order to keep all the features we want (I made a simple compendium) :

[1] Wideangle lens                                                      : FOV enlarged (GOOD) - DOF very deep (BAD) - QUALITY good (GOOD) - Record on narrow spaces (GOOD) - Must defish for large FOV losing resolution (BAD)

[2] Wideangle add-on                                                  : FOV enlarged (GOOD) - DOF very deep (BAD) - QUALITY worse (BAD) - Record on narrow spaces (GOOD) - Must defish for large FOV losing resolution (BAD)

[3] Normal lens + operator step back to take more FOV :  FOV enlarged (GOOD) - DOF very deep (BAD) - QUALITY good (GOOD) - Cannot record on narrow spaces (BAD)

[4] DOF adapter (projection method + macro mode)      : FOV enlarged (GOOD) - DOF shallow (GOOD) - QUALITY horrible (BAD) - Record on narrow spaces (GOOD)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Monti

@dlrpgmsvc

we can actually record in crop mode with shallow depth of field
but it needs huge distance and telephoto kind lens

dlrpgmsvc

I made many in-deep analisys on anamorphic lens: they don't worth the money, at the end of the story. The vertical resolution gain is not worth for our hobby: a wideangle corrected in post is much more viable and with very good results. Anamorphic has so many limitations, also for focus distance limitations, bulkyness, main lens coupling and so on

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 09:54:06 PM
@dlrpgmsvc

we can actually record in crop mode with shallow depth of field
but it needs huge distance and telephoto kind lens

True, so not viable for normal cinema use (big and bulky tripods, optical stabilizers, and great spaces, not viable for indoor use, and so on)

Monti

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 29, 2013, 09:59:13 PM
True, so not viable for normal cinema use (big and bulky tripods, optical stabilizers, and great spaces, not viable for indoor use, and so on)

yeah but good for spy work)

also i see no problem with shooting on 1582xwhatever resolution over 1920xwhatever
its just 20% gain

and 1582 is good enough

if want more why dont go for 4K at once?

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 09:47:00 PM
@menoc - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Iscomorphot-16-2x-Anamorphic-Cinemascope-Lens-/200956832944?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ec9f5ecb0 right on the money and a seriously nice lens for video. You'll be able to shoot over 2.5k 16:9 with this. I would buy it myself if I could.

Pair it with a Helios 44M-2 or an old Nikon 50mm (as both flare) and you'll get pure Hollywood ;)

Yeah . . . now I'm feeling like thrashing my 401k . . lol

rommex

Quote from: rawmania on August 29, 2013, 07:13:39 PM
Hey Monti
A lot of noice on this forum
May you take a brake for a while or take from courses?
muchas gracias

+1

Monti

yeah if anyone wana sell such thing i would like to buy)

updated:

okay dudes
jokes away

i made a serious video test raw canon 50d without camera shake
(i used my special anti shake tool this time)
u going to be suprised to know what is it in few minutes... or hour

Lukas1221

Do you think we will ever be able to shoot 2.5k in camera?

Andy600

Quote from: Lukas1221 on August 29, 2013, 10:50:31 PM
Do you think we will ever be able to shoot 2.5k in camera?

Not on the 50D

50Deezil

Hey guys UWA lenses that aren't fisheye do exist.  The Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 is a rectilinear wide angle.  It's also a good option for Crop Modes.  Better than the Samyang 8mm Fisheye IMO.

There is also a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 which is another nice option. 

50Deezil

I know this will seem like a dumb question but is there a way to LOCK the Shutter at 1/48 on the 50D?

rommex

Quote from: 50Deezil on August 29, 2013, 11:09:26 PM
I know this will seem like a dumb question but is there a way to LOCK the Shutter at 1/48 on the 50D?

MENU Expo> Exp Override

Monti

Quote from: 50Deezil on August 29, 2013, 10:58:39 PM
Hey guys UWA lenses that aren't fisheye do exist.  The Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 is a rectilinear wide angle.  It's also a good option for Crop Modes.  Better than the Samyang 8mm Fisheye IMO.

There is also a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 which is another nice option.

relax i made a test on it
coming in few time

updated:

okay here it is
18 mm f3.5 from Nikon 18-105 lens on crop mode canon 50d gives like 85 mm f16
and this video is shot from distance of 50 cm only.

also if you see focus is able to move here and there
its possible because the distance is small for subject
for simulations of shallow depth of field

that is ISO 3200

anybody knows why video is kinda choppy?
something wrong with frame skipping or shutterspeed  or FPS override or what?

rommex

Hi all, I recently was shooting on BMCC and decided to make comparison of BMCC vs 50D.
So I decided to evaluate the usable DR of both cameras.
This is not a scientific test -- just practical approach.

I was shooting both scenes in a ETTR way (without ETTR module), so that the whites are nearly overexposed.

Then I tried to push the shadows and see how much that can go until you have unacceptable noise (purely in my opinion)

I'm pretty sure that someone can make more sense from these tests, so welcome!

BMCC was shot at ISO 800.

I decided to shoot 50D at ISO 400. On the one hand, I wanted their ISOs somehow to match. On the other hand, ISO 800 of 50D would be too unfair to 50D, being a no low-light king.

The same 17-50 2.8 lens was used.

50D. Shot ETTR. ISO 400. Pushed shadows. No sharpening or noise reduction. ACR 6.0

BMCC. Shot ETTR. ISO 800. Pushed shadows. No sharpening or noise reduction. ACR 6.0

100% Crop: BMCC and 50D - The darkest shadows in the scene and my personal view of acceptable noise.

CONCLUSION: Based on the eyedropper tool info in the shadows I estimate that BMCC is 1 stop wider in its Dynamic Range.

As I said, this is a brief non-scientific test. Don't shoot me based on this. Any reasonable comments are welcome.

And yes, the original RAW files are found here: https://copy.com/oG6C31ghjeJ0

PS Monti, please relax and don't respond to this. You may create your own thread somewhere in the forum and post, post, post... 8)

Monti

Quote from: rommex on August 30, 2013, 12:53:57 AM
Hi all, I recently was shooting on BMCC and decided to make comparison of BMCC vs 50D.

how come u make test on ISO 400 of canon 50d?
watch video above i made on ISO 3200
and thats even without ETTR stuff

but thanks for BMCC raw file

i made it look like it should be
here is 100% crop

and here is full size picture enjoy
http://s54.radikal.ru/i143/1308/8d/a8e845d0e293.jpg

ps
dont make things look ugly people
this cameras are pushing maximum to look good in extreme conditions

whats the point to look for noise on ISO 400-800?

better show how u handle it on ISO 3200