50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermac

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 29, 2013, 10:21:33 AM
Totally wrong again. If you frame the same size object, the dof is the same at all focal lengths. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Way off topic at the mo, but this explains it quite well,

"Cropping an image and enlarging to the same size final image as an uncropped image taken under the same conditions is equivalent to using a smaller format under the same conditions, so the cropped image has less DOF. (Stroebel 1976, 134, 136–37)".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field#Factors_affecting_depth_of_field

savale

Since I like a shallow dof myself I prefer non crop mode. But sometimes the moire / aliasing effects are a bit annoying... On the other hand: I am very curious to see some 1920 /1080 crop mode clips with a very wide lens (8mm - 10mm). Anyone here got a wide lens to shoot some footage?

araucaria

I have a 12mm and focusing is hard in sunlight (the dof is very broad at 12mm f4) so even in when you zoom in 10x youre never sure unless you have a magnification lens (which I don't). Usually when you focus a lens you will see the "pop" of getting into focus, but when you are at 12mm you need very good viewing conditions to see that. Maybe with an autofocus lens this is not such an issue, mine is a nikon 12-24mm fit onto an adapater. I get 48mm equivalent with that, the equivalent f stop (don't read it if you don't like it) is f16 so everything is in focus or slightly in focus unless you are focusing to infinity and have something 50cm away.

Monti

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 29, 2013, 10:21:33 AM
Totally wrong again. If you frame the same size object, the dof is the same at all focal lengths. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

dont mess with this up dude
yiou just confuse yourself
im making real test to show the thing

Andy600

"Circle of confusion"  - yep! that describes this subject nicely  ;D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dsManning

Quote from: robertgl on August 29, 2013, 05:24:50 AM
Well I started testing my cam and the komputerbay 32gb CF card got corrupted. It's on its way back for a refund..
I wasn't expecting these cards to be so fragile..  What card readers do you use?

I'm still using the same card for awhile now.  Using Transcend USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF8K)  Moves my ~30GB footage from Card to SSD over USB 3.0 in about 4 minutes tops.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056TYRMW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sidenote; Loving DualISO http://flic.kr/p/fE6KrJ
And Auto Exposure http://flic.kr/p/fEjWBG

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 02:30:44 PM
"Circle of confusion"  - yep! that describes this subject nicely  ;D

okay i done test
results as i expected
will post soon

Monti

Quote from: dsManning on August 29, 2013, 02:42:01 PM
And Auto Exposure http://flic.kr/p/fEjWBG

teach me auto expo plz

ps seems like those komputerbay cards crashing like wallnuts

maybe i should better stick with my lexar x1000 cards

okay here is depth of field test on crop modes raw video with canon 50d
first normal mode then x5 and then x10

i dont know what happen why the framing isnt same
also no VR so shaky video

watch in HD or Full HD resolution

i know this test sucks
but to me i can see what is going about

later i make photo test that is more obvious
that on crop 5x and crop 10x the depth of field becomes wide like table

bzhwindtalker

Hey man wow great test so usefull really.. all that talk about composition for this haha! seems like you where drunk and on acids when you shot this man.

Btw I don't know where you found that komputarbay cards were bad, I shot 400gb+ on two 32gb without a single issue. As for the issue a few pages back, the poster probably could have recovered his card. There is a lot that can happen and corrupt a card/flash memory disck but it can be fixed most of the times with the rigth partitionning/formatting tools.
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Monti

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on August 29, 2013, 05:59:04 PM
Hey man wow great test so usefull really.. all that talk about composition for this haha! seems like you where drunk and on acids when you shot this man.

Btw I don't know where you found that komputarbay cards were bad, I shot 400gb+ on two 32gb without a single issue. As for the issue a few pages back, the poster probably could have recovered his card. There is a lot that can happen and corrupt a card/flash memory disck but it can be fixed most of the times with the rigth partitionning/formatting tools.

talking about compositions
i just checked it and it looks alright
(the rule of thirds is on the place and other rules of composition too)

there is camera shake coz i didnt use tripod and its manual nikon focus with no image stabilization prime lens 50 mm f1.8 - hard to pull focus with one hand and hold camera with other hand if u know what i mean

especially when this crop mode makes it 250 mm and 500 mm with no stabilization
that is another reason why you dont want to use crop mode while recording motion picture

ps i dont mind crashed and fixed komputerbay cards
i just dont want my footage to be lost during this crashes

Andy600

@Monti - A little tip. If you don't have a tripod, rig or stabilizer put the camera on a cushion and put that on something solid. This will reduce movement and still allow you some degree of tilt and pan. For handheld you can also use your camera strap - by putting it around your neck or body and pulling it taught. It won't eliminate movement but will reduce shake a little. 
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 06:42:34 PM
@Monti - A little tip. If you don't have a tripod, rig or stabilizer put the camera on a cushion and put that on something solid. This will reduce movement and still allow you some degree of tilt and pan. For handheld you can also use your camera strap - by putting it around your neck or body and pulling it taught. It won't eliminate movement but will reduce shake a little.

yeah nice tips
but if i want smooth paning i have a better solution

i just dont use it for crap video tests and keep for serious work)
also i like my shaky style it fits to war songs like in war movies of 1945 year

ps and i have all kind of rigs and stuff too

dlrpgmsvc

@Monti : your test is not correct. You are progressively going away from subject (the Matchbox) by lens or by crop factor or by 50D phisically (not important). You have to test at the same framing the normal, the 5x and the 10x, so that the Matchbox occupy the same area on the sensor. It is obvious that more you go away from Matchbox and the more you have DOF. Can you redo the test in this way ? Only in this way we can judge
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Monti

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 29, 2013, 06:51:31 PM
@Monti : your test is not correct. You are progressively going away from subject (the Matchbox) by lens or by 50D phisically (not important). You have to test at the same framing the normal, the 5x and the 10x, so that the Matchbox occupy the same area on the sensor. It is obvious that more you go away from Matchbox and the more you have DOF. Can you redo the test in this way ? Only in this way we can judge

yeah i noticed that and im going to redo a matchbox in frame test on photo mode another time

but what you can not see then is scale of depth of field magnification
in here its kinda shows that the difference noticeable on wider area or so...
coz i started with matchbox and then realised that next DOP is just too wide for that frame
so need to make framing wider to get other details in frame
simple matchbox wont show much here and there

so i better start from table test from beginning

rawmania

Hey Monti
A lot of noice on this forum
May you take a brake for a while or take from courses?
muchas gracias

Monti

Quote from: rawmania on August 29, 2013, 07:13:39 PM
Hey Monti
A lot of noice on this forum
May you take a brake for a while or take from courses?
muchas gracias

no way
im excited now

maybe when i get bored then i leave

but thanks for your compliment to say that im most active poster here
i hear this on every forum and community i pass by during my life

i like to bring something into somewhere

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 03:43:46 PM
teach me auto expo plz

ps seems like those komputerbay cards crashing like wallnuts

maybe i should better stick with my lexar x1000 cards

okay here is depth of field test on crop modes raw video with canon 50d
first normal mode then x5 and then x10

i dont know what happen why the framing isnt same
also no VR so shaky video

watch in HD or Full HD resolution

i know this test sucks
but to me i can see what is going about

later i make photo test that is more obvious
that on crop 5x and crop 10x the depth of field becomes wide like table

The DOF changes because you are changing your camera to subject distance!

Seriously, monti or silkway or whatever you prefer to be called, your comments on here are making me think you're just a troll.

This used to be a helpful and polite forum but lately it's turned into dvxuser, such a shame.

Monti

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 29, 2013, 07:49:59 PM
The DOF changes because you are changing your camera to subject distance!

Seriously, monti or silkway or whatever you prefer to be called, your comments on here are making me think you're just a troll.

This used to be a helpful and polite forum but lately it's turned into dvxuser, such a shame.

seriously i didnt intend to move from subject
it happened accidently

but even so you can see the difference isnt it?

just its kind of test for intelligence
coz complaining about this is rude

anyway tomorrow i will make another test

maybe problem is that magic lantern doesnt give you exact framing preview in crop mode?

or you know what? im going to make one photo test right now. just give me couple of minutes

updated:

okay test is done
and its going to blow your minds
im going to post it in a second

apdated:

okay here is the test:

Click here for full size review:
http://i036.radikal.ru/1308/87/53761570200d.jpg

for those who still in doubt
here is x10 crop

the 2 crop images are blurry because of camera shake on long focal distance 250-500 mm with no stabilization

OKAY THE DISCUSSION IS OVER
I WAS RIGHT
EVERYONE CORRECT YOUR BELIEFS ABOUT DEPTH OF FIELD IN CROP MODE =)

(This is real test on canon 50d)

menoc

I need a recommendation on the best cheap ultra wide angle (14mm or less) lens to shoot in crop mode . . . under $200 would be nice.

Anybody?

Rewind

Quote from: menoc on August 29, 2013, 09:01:39 PM
I need a recommendation on the best cheap ultra wide angle.

Cheap means at least $400, when talking about wide angle.
For example Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6. I'm using it a lot. Nice glass.

Monti

Quote from: menoc on August 29, 2013, 09:01:39 PM
I need a recommendation on the best cheap ultra wide angle (14mm or less) lens to shoot in crop mode . . . under $200 would be nice.

Anybody?

this is what u are looking for 249$ Rokinon 8 mm f3.5
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769428-REG/Rokinon_FE8M_C_8mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle.html

menoc

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 09:15:20 PM
this is what u are looking for 249$ Rokinon 8 mm f3.5
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769428-REG/Rokinon_FE8M_C_8mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle.html

Interesting . . . but I'd like a non-fish eye lens though. How difficult is it to defish video and what would be the results?

Andy600

Quote from: Rewind on August 29, 2013, 09:06:37 PM

Try to find a good secondhand Tokina 11-16mm.

@Monti - The 8mm is a fisheye lens and will have barrel distortion

menoc

Quote from: Rewind on August 29, 2013, 09:06:37 PM

Well . . . there's got to be a hidden gem out there on ebay that is around $200. . .

Monti

Quote from: menoc on August 29, 2013, 09:25:26 PM
Interesting . . . but I'd like a non-fish eye lens though. How difficult is it to defish video and what would be the results?

first of all when u crop in the lens
you already defish it pretty much

secondly if u dont shoot something very close
then u dont have this perspective distortion that all wide angles giving
like pinnocio long nose etc

so u dont have to do anything about it pretty much