50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monti

im going to test out the ETTR function soon

curious about it kinda

it may give high shutter speed in photo mode without bumping ISO over 800
or maybe we should use it in Dual ISO mode?

then put the shutter speed even higher...

for those who are not familiar with photography -
high shutter speed gives a tack sharp images without blur or washed out

but it needs high ISO (light sensitivity) that usually kills color depth, dynamic range (contrast) and clarity (noise grain comes).

so to shoot on high shutter speed without going bad maybe good to ETTR it instead of high ISO it?
i know some people do shoot on high ISO on raw underexposed (dark) then bringing up image from shadows in program
but with ETTR can be even better

also if high ISO it maybe ETTR saves it kinda too...

1%

I guess center to 5X raw isn't working?

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on August 27, 2013, 12:15:15 AM
When you were doing auto ETTR the lens tried to focus. I moved my AF to AF on because of this.

Yes please, build and post. My internet is sucking today + bitbucket is squirly with uploads.

What do you mean by moving your AF to AF on? Using the switch on the lenses or ML menu?
Ty for the reply, 1%. Big fan of your work :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

I mean take AF off of 1/2 shutter. On 50D you can set it to the AF on button.

Monti

okay i tested ETTR thing

very frustrating experience

the ISO going up and down as it wish
hard to do something

shutter speed goes to 1/15 by itself

dont know which mode to use
should it be manual or apperture priority or what?

but got one good example though

this is it

also tested ETTR with Dual ISO

show it later

1%

ETTR has settings like set lowest shutter from main dial... auto expo has to be set up too... my lens can't do f1.8.

Monti

Quote from: 1% on August 28, 2013, 04:56:09 PM
ETTR has settings like set lowest shutter from main dial... auto expo has to be set up too... my lens can't do f1.8.

oh yeah? i have to learn that...
otherwise really killing

i try to go in function menu but didnt find such tweaks
maybe search later

this is dual iso test on ETTR

rufustfirefly

Quote from: Andy600 on August 27, 2013, 04:13:14 PM
The 40D is not currently supported but @jplxpto is working on porting ML http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1452.msg66726#msg66726

Whether it will ever have raw video capability is another matter. If it does there will likely be limitations to frame size and write speeds because of the smaller pixel count of the sensor and slower CF card slot.

I had built some snapshot builds for the 40D, 50D, and 5D3, which I have available here:

https://bitbucket.org/rufustfirefly/magic-lantern/downloads

The only issue I still have is that I haven't figured out how to modify the stock FIR file to allow loading Magic Lantern on the 40D, and the instructions on the wiki seem to be a little out-of-date.
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...
http://jbuchbinder.com/

LEVISDAVIS

Have same issue in 5X. The CANON image (in 5x mode) is always at the bottom right hand side of the 3x composition.
Levi S. Davis

Monti

Quote from: 1% on August 28, 2013, 04:56:09 PM

oh okay i found that setting for minimum shutter
i set it to 1/130 (1/125) so its cool now
not freaking me with 1/15 anymore

however didnt found how to put ISO there
its coming always on 1600 iso

the auto expo is so complicated
couldnt solve it out

so here is another example i made with new shutter speed

the advantage of this function is hilarious and good
but its need some skills to master it

a1ex

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on August 28, 2013, 06:20:00 AM
I mean take AF off of 1/2 shutter. On 50D you can set it to the AF on button.

Awesome! Tyvm
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Monti

Monti

Quote from: a1ex on August 28, 2013, 10:05:35 PM
Try going outside ;)

the thing is
i try to shoot on 3200 iso

and ETTR brings it to 1600 iso

so not quite sure that the low light is the issue...

a1ex

That's because you gain nothing by going to ISO 3200.

Monti

Quote from: a1ex on August 28, 2013, 11:10:49 PM
That's because you gain nothing by going to ISO 3200.

yeah maybe...

anyway i have to play more with this things

and its really need skills

this is something more difficult than what normal photographers get used to

araucaria

oc_masta

I ended up buying a GH1 recently, but im thinking the 50d would be better in video, here are my reasons apart from the 14bit raw and my question at the end.
1. The GH1 has a smaller sensor, in effect a crop size when using say a 50mm 1.8, compared to the same lens which is great on aps-c size sensor.
2. I'm having to buy a smaller focal length lens with wider aperture to get effective video on the GH1.

Now my question, if anyone could be kind enough to help me out. Could I use the 50d in 1:1 cropped 1920x1080 recording and use a small focal length lens, say 28mm or even a 20mm on it, to increase the FOV of the cropped image to something comparable to the 50d's full sensor recording on a 50mm lens ???

hope that makes sense, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Andy600

Quote from: oc_masta on August 29, 2013, 12:43:30 AM
I ended up buying a GH1 recently, but im thinking the 50d would be better in video, here are my reasons apart from the 14bit raw and my question at the end.
1. The GH1 has a smaller sensor, in effect a crop size when using say a 50mm 1.8, compared to the same lens which is great on aps-c size sensor.
2. I'm having to buy a smaller focal length lens with wider aperture to get effective video on the GH1.

Now my question, if anyone could be kind enough to help me out. Could I use the 50d in 1:1 cropped 1920x1080 recording and use a small focal length lens, say 28mm or even a 20mm on it, to increase the FOV of the cropped image to something comparable to the 50d's full sensor recording on a 50mm lens ???

hope that makes sense, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yes, but you'll need something like a 12mm focal length to get 50mm full-frame equivalent in 1:1

Basically, multiply your lens focal length x4 and you'll be 'roughly' correct when the APS-C and raw crop factors are taken into account

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

Quote from: araucaria on August 28, 2013, 11:59:44 PM
Not maybe, it's actually a fact.

if you mean that analog ISO on canon 50d is 200-1250 and the rest is digital amplified
then we talking about different things...

i will test that thing morning outdoors and share results

until then no point to decide whether it is this or that...

oc_masta

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 12:48:20 AM
Yes, but you'll need something like a 12mm focal length to get 50mm full-frame equivalent in 1:1

Basically, multiply your lens focal length x4 and you'll be 'roughly' correct when the APS-C and raw crop factors are taken into account

Makes me wonder why most people seem to be neglecting the full hd crop mode on here?
Is there a reason why most people are opting to record with the lower resolution, aliasing and moire filled full sensor mode?

Monti

Quote from: oc_masta on August 29, 2013, 12:56:40 AM
Makes me wonder why most people seem to be neglecting the full hd crop mode on here?
Is there a reason why most people are opting to record with the lower resolution, aliasing and moire filled full sensor mode?

yeah i covered that few pages ago

there is huge advantage in crop x10 mode on Nikon 70-300 mm VR ED lens on canon 50d raw full hd video

that is equivalent of 3000 mm lens on full frame camera

that is more than anything exist

great for sports and wildlife and candid shoots far subjects

however there is no VR working
so probably if you use high end canon telephoto lens with VR would make even more sense

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 12:48:20 AM

and thats an idea Andy600!

so 18-35 f1.8 sigma lens comes into the game

first part 18 mm it is going to be 28 mm f2.8 on normal and like 85 mm f 8 on crop x5 mode 200 mm f 16 x10 mode
double it with 35 mm gives you 50 mm f2.8 on normal and 180 mm f 8 on crop x 5 and 400 mm f 16 x10 mode

the second one is more narrow depth of field like twice than first one
coz focal length increase and the f stop remains

@oc_masta
important aspect is depth of field must be narrow for filmic scenes

i suggest also Rokinon (Samyang) fish eye 8 mm f3.5 lens which is around 40 mm and 80 mm on crop x5 and x10
but depth of field really goes off probably...

how you going to manage it with super wide angle lens and slow apperture in crop mode?

oc_masta

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 12:59:09 AM
yeah i covered that few pages ago

there is huge advantage in crop x10 mode on Nikon 70-300 mm VR ED lens on canon 50d raw full hd video

that is equivalent of 3000 mm lens on full frame camera

that is more than anything exist

great for sports and wildlife and candid shoots far subjects

however there is no VR working
so probably if you use high end canon telephoto lens with VR would make even more sense

I actually meant in the opposite sense.
It worried me the zoom was too much in crop mode but that can be worked around grabbing a smaller focal length lens anyway. I see no reason to shoot with the lower resolution full sensor mode? everyone want higher res in full sensor, but its crazy?!? moire aliasing and all that when we can have a perfect picture in crop with the correct lens to make up for the zoom?

oc_masta

Quote from: Monti on August 29, 2013, 01:10:07 AM
@oc_masta
important aspect is depth of field must be narrow for filmic scenes

i suggest also Rokinon (Samyang) fish eye 8 mm f3.5 lens which is around 40 mm and 80 mm on crop x5 and x10
but depth of field really goes off probably...

how you going to manage it with super wide angle lens and slow apperture in crop mode?

wouldn't a very small focal length lens create a very shallow depth of field?