Previous topic - Next topic

dsManning

scrizz

araucaria

Quote from: scrizz on August 27, 2013, 04:00:55 AM
did you really have to quote the whole thing? lol
I thought I pressed modify :S

1%

Does anyone get any bad frames with timers disabled? I think best shots is all bad frames since no LV focus data.

derkiki

Quote from: Andy600 on August 27, 2013, 01:33:21 AM
The latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 for the 50D is up: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug27.50D109.zip

Includes several important fixes.
Thanks 1% and Andy600 for the new build! Is there a link where we can see commit changes? Somehow I can't find it on bitbucket.
Cheers

akumiszcza

Quote from: Andy600 on August 27, 2013, 01:33:21 AM
The latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 for the 50D is up: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug27.50D109.zip

Includes several important fixes.

Raw exposure meters now work in photo mode  8)

ETTR and Dual ISO have some new settings to play with.

There is a NEW 'Modified' menu (nice)

Does it mean ETTR works in photo mode or has wider range in LV now? I can't check myself as I'm abroad without computer — some heavy use of Dual ISO and Auto Expose here :)

Andy600

Quote from: derkiki on August 27, 2013, 09:31:50 AM
Thanks 1% and Andy600 for the new build! Is there a link where we can see commit changes? Somehow I can't find it on bitbucket.
Cheers

Only by looking at commits https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/commits/all. There is currently no change log produced.

@akumiszcza - You will need to read the ETTR thread for more information
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

Quote from: akumiszcza on August 27, 2013, 09:46:09 AM
Does it mean ETTR works in photo mode or has wider range in LV now? I can't check myself as I'm abroad without computer — some heavy use of Dual ISO and Auto Expose here :)

basicly ETTR (EXPOSURE TO THE RIGHT)
means all your shots will be exposure compensation up for 1.33 stops
that means your shots will be brighter than normal

but when you normalize it in your programm it give much less noise
than if you shoot normal raw files

rufustfirefly

Are there any 40D builds available, or only 50D? (I'm only asking because of the topic name)
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...
http://jbuchbinder.com/

Monti

Quote from: Supermac on August 26, 2013, 06:26:26 PM
Personally, I like the look of Andy's original picture. Looks more filmic. A bit like Velvia with the magenta and stuff but obviously flattened as Velvia is much more punchy and contrasty (Always thought Velvia was a bit Garish outside of landscape and fashion anyway).

As for Monti's looks, I think the first one might be more of a music video look, second is a bit "walking dead" although might work for a commercial centered around domestic abuse. The third option looks like you've gone mental with Nik colour effects. Definitely Final Fantasy and I'd like to see the video out of curiosity.

Guess the key thing with grading (as with every other creative decision) is to have a direction and a point to doing it, not just because you can. My favorite shot is probably the air ducts, very filmic looking, although the shoes look great too. Hmmm, I'm in the mood for shooting now... Where's my camera.

if you want to know what is filmic look

look at this new movie from germany with Till Shweiger

and yes, i see lots of colors there and its not flat

also for those of you

who didnt learnt composition

check this filmic look camera composition on rule of thirds

it is aimed into the eye section to attract our view there

and yes
when they shot this scene they told to Till Shweiger to hold and not move his head

Andy600

Quote from: rufustfirefly on August 27, 2013, 03:51:11 PM
Are there any 40D builds available, or only 50D? (I'm only asking because of the topic name)

The 40D is not currently supported but @jplxpto is working on porting ML http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1452.msg66726#msg66726

Whether it will ever have raw video capability is another matter. If it does there will likely be limitations to frame size and write speeds because of the smaller pixel count of the sensor and slower CF card slot.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@Monti - I appreciate your input here but perhaps we're starting to stray too far from the intended subject matter of the thread which is raw video on the 50D. The cinematography, color, grading, aesthetics, film and other areas of film making are probably worthy of their own thread (maybe there are similar threads here on the ML forum?).

Incidentally, although you are correct with your observations about contrast, colour, framing etc, there are also many other examples where DPs and colourists will do the exact opposite and go for a low contrast/desaturated look and not stick to the rule of thirds at all. As I said, it's purely subjective and individual but obviously it's good to know the theory and always educate yourself.

You did actually make me think more about my grading TBH. I still like what I did because it fits the mood and look I intended, but also I know I can push myself further and be more creative with colour. It's great that raw video lets us explore these possibilities properly.

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 27, 2013, 04:30:13 PM
@Monti - I appreciate your input here but perhaps we're starting to stray too far from the intended subject matter of the thread which is raw video on the 50D. The cinematography, color, grading, aesthetics, film and other areas of film making are probably worthy of their own thread (maybe there are similar threads here on the ML forum?).

Incidentally, although you are correct with your observations about contrast, colour, framing etc, there are also many other examples where DPs and colourists will do the exact opposite and go for a low contrast/desaturated look and not stick to the rule of thirds at all. As I said, it's purely subjective and individual but obviously it's good to know the theory and always educate yourself.

You did actually make me think more about my grading TBH. I still like what I did because it fits the mood and look I intended, but also I know I can push myself further and be more creative with colour. It's great that raw video lets us explore these possibilities properly.

yeah i went far coz just answered the previous commenter

and also my intention of pushing this subjects is to open up raw video subject
as those who shoot films in hollywood are doing it on raw video as meant to be on canon 50d

so i just highlighted that if someone shooting on magic/tragic lantern raw video
then it makes sense to follow up the highest standarts of cinematography
if people learn basic of their video job then they may make use of all magic/tragic lantern feautures

otherwise targeting on something small makes the limited thoughts on the rest of job

must push forward
and not to stop on something obvious and simple as can be made on anything else

ps i mean developers work hard here and you also complile new features day by day
it is just not fare not to make use of it in post production

@Andy600
your previous color grading photos is not opening anymore
something happen with links

Andy600

@Monti - ah, I can see your point now ;D and think you're right. I think most users who are shooting raw are probably just content with the increased IQ over H.264 but raw video gives us so much more flexibility on the colour side. I'm currently doing an alternate grade on my test footage as an exercise in Resolve. It's looking great but there's a lot more work involved.

re: images. Yes, I noticed my images from imgbox were not showing but a browser cache refresh fixed it.

KahL

PROGRESS UPDATE:
I just shot the opening day of the US Open yesterday with a week old build. There was one instance where I couldn't change the exposure in time to film a gigantic screen, so the RAW filming saved my ass in a major way. I can't thank this team enough.

Soon I'll be releasing another fashion film using the 50D and I've made sure to include your logo in the end credits. This has now become a standard w/ my team when using Magic Lantern software overall :)

Monti

rockfallfilms

Sorry about the huge quotes but I get the impression that Silkway and Monti are the same person or perhaps twins.

Especially if you look at Silkway's last login day/time and Monti's registration day/time.

Quote from: Silkway on August 16, 2013, 06:35:46 PM
of coz i might show when i make something on canon 50d

now i can only show what i did on nikon d7000 which is not this topic discussion)

my green cat was made on 640 by 240 pixel
which is less than my old nokia n86 can do
it is raw video 14 bit color 24 frame per second on 6 mb/sec continuous non stop raw video
on kingston 10 years old compact flash old technology card

3 times less consuming than h.264 codec compressed on Nikon D7000
which is also very very light and compressed video shooter
so i just set a new record of raw shooting with that green cat shot for most less consuming raw shoot) that was fun

to show that the quality is not so bad
when it comes to a memory card speed for continuous shooting on low resolution in raw

also i dont ask shit people for their step by step color grading
i ask from the master of art like D.I.Watson

i said clip above was stupid except for one shot
so to prove you i just made a screen shot of the 2:08 seconds shot of this clip above
check it and judge for yourself.

i didnt measure it

i just chosed a shot that look nice to me
and i just applied a 3 parts on horizontal and vertical
really straight lines and 3 parts

the eye and nose felt just on 2 of key points

and if you remember for a good camera composition
your objects target must be at least close to one of this 4 key points where lines are crossed

and if u ask why? who made this rules?
God made, when he made our eyes and brain
scientists found that human looks on this 4 cross points of the image automatically at first look
starting fromo top left going to top right then bottom left and bottom right

so if u wana attract attention of a viewer place your message there
otherwise it is stupid composition that is not attracting at all.

oh my god
this shot was GOOOD

but the rest is awful

Quote from: Monti on August 27, 2013, 04:03:15 PM
if you want to know what is filmic look

look at this new movie from germany with Till Shweiger

and yes, i see lots of colors there and its not flat

also for those of you

who didnt learnt composition

check this filmic look camera composition on rule of thirds

it is aimed into the eye section to attract our view there

and yes
when they shot this scene they told to Till Shweiger to hold and not move his head

riccardocovino

@KahL:
I didn't expect 50D to be involved in such kind of work, great!
Ususally covering sport events requires continuous recording, how did you manage the storage problem?
I guess You had to stop and change cards/batteries so frequently!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Monti

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 27, 2013, 06:59:12 PM
Sorry about the huge quotes but I get the impression that Silkway and Monti are the same person or perhaps twins.

Especially if you look at Silkway's last login day/time and Monti's registration day/time.

yeah coz the moderator blocked Silkway for being too haarch in critic about others works

scrizz

Quote from: Monti on August 27, 2013, 09:10:48 PM
yeah coz the moderator blocked Silkway for being too haarch in critic about others works

lol

kichetof

Quote from: 1% on August 26, 2013, 06:41:55 PM
BTW, raw histos and all that jazz are now working, so you can ETTR with time lapse, etc.

@1% you are amazing!! Auto-ETTR works well on photo mode! Amazing!!

Thanks a lot for that!

araucaria

Hey I've been doing some shots in crop mode and I wanted to say that if you shoot with 1920 horizontal resolution it's actually a 2.5x crop not a 3x crop.

Andy600

Quote from: araucaria on August 28, 2013, 01:35:54 AM
Hey I've been doing some shots in crop mode and I wanted to say that if you shoot with 1920 horizontal resolution it's actually a 2.5x crop not a 3x crop.

2.475x at 1920p to be precise ;)

2.376x at max 2000px

I didn't actually think about this until you mentioned it  ;D

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on August 28, 2013, 01:51:56 AM
2.475x at 1920p to be precise ;)

2.376x at max 2000px

I didn't actually think about this until you mentioned it  ;D
I was handholding my sankor 16 anamorphic in front of the 50d to try out crop mode, so I thought, 58mm/3= 18,3mm will do fine but I it was full of vignetting, so I just did the math and there it is ;)
Btw, is there a way to center the crop mode center to the sensor center, it's a pain in the ass to guess because in ML hacked preview you can't move the crop window, or it's super super buggy.