50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrizz

Quote from: 1% on August 25, 2013, 04:42:02 PM
Spanning works here, just tested. It takes 3 shoots to get me to 1920x1038 continuous and I think auto mode isn't returning global draw to on.

whoa, whoa
1920x1038 continuous ?
:o

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 26, 2013, 02:50:50 AM
I just uploaded the test I was doing when my camera took a nose dive on the pavement. The video is in 2 parts - ungraded and graded. Description in the video.

oh yeah
thats canon quality video

i have few questions about it

what is workflow for this smooth frame rate

why there is no color and things are flat

and who is this gorgeous girl =)

btw i found there is no way to upload anything on VIMEO

so i uploaded my previous video to youtube

canon 50d raw video with zoom magnification 112 mm to 3000 mm Nikon lens
you can watch it on this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_rUGH0RCWM

also watch it on HD or Full HD only

Andy600

@Monti

1. A tripod and 180 degree shutter angle (and frame rate conformed to 24p in the NLE)

2. No colour? If you mean why is there less contrast, it's deliberate. I increased the black level a bit to pull up the shadows and give it a more 'film' like look. Film Convert Pro also alters colours to match film stock. I used 'Velvia' for this and played with the colour temperature to get the look I wanted. I was aiming for the cool blues and orange look. The first part of the video is just the DNG files with white balance corrected.

3. The gorgeous girl is my better half. She's very photogenic don't you think? ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 26, 2013, 04:47:34 AM
@Monti

1. A tripod and 180 degree shutter angle (and frame rate conformed to 24p in the NLE)

2. No colour? If you mean why is there less contrast, it's deliberate. I increased the black level a bit to pull up the shadows and give it a more 'film' like look. Film Convert Pro also alters colours to match film stock. I used 'Velvia' for this and played with the colour temperature to get the look I wanted. I was aiming for the cool blues and orange look. The first part of the video is just the DNG files with white balance corrected.

3. The gorgeous girl is my better half. She's very photogenic don't you think? ;)

Sure she is...

about color grading

look what i did with your video

and tell me which one is better?

yeah i mean i can understand when someone want to keep certain colors
but look i didnt change that colors
but they just look better at my edition IMHO

Andy600

@Monti - Of course, you can push the colour in all directions with raw files but I was going for a specific film look without harsh sharpening and overly contrasted skin detail. Watch a few movies ;)

As for which I prefer, I'll stick with my original but thanks for the example :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

however personally i woud personally do this color grading to your footage

or if i want a final fantasy look

any of those look pretty to me

and the one you did looks unfinished and flat

however i agree that for certain areas your look is what has to be there

just for me the subject of raw video on canon 50d asks to be something more than "filmic look"

btw all this examples i did not on raw file
it was just screenshot from vimeo video

so not even jpg

Andy600

Grading is subjective. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes ;)

I prefer to create the look myself based on my own vision of how the shot should look, in the context of the piece. I usually steer clear of preset/instagram/Magic Bullet type looks and just using Film Convert Pro is pushing it for me.

Monti

well im also not using all those crap you mentioned

im just working in photography area mostly

and when we come to subject of getting such awesome video from canon 50d raw

i just question myself

why people push themselve hardly to do magic lantern

and then not using its potencial in post production...

p.s. btw u mentioned a major point why people cant or not doing color grading most of the time

coz its not in their head

coz to draw you have to see it in your head

and if you not artist then there is nothing to follow after

thats the key of why people stuck for something and not going further maybe....

D.L. Watson

I shot a short film over the weekend that I'm calling it Dichotomy. Not only will the short be about the contrast of emotions, but also has been a great example of the dichotomy between H.264 & RAW workflows.

I purposefully shot the film on the fly, handheld, in bad lighting situations, and entirely with an Rokinon 85mm lens.

Ill be releasing a workflow tutorial along with the short when it's released this week. The above screenshot is only a proxy render from the RAW - I can't wait to the grading phase using the actual DNG files.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Andy600

@D.L. Watson - Interesting idea! Looking forward to watching it  :)

Supermac

Quote from: Monti on August 26, 2013, 05:15:50 AM
Sure she is...

about color grading

look what i did with your video

and tell me which one is better?

yeah i mean i can understand when someone want to keep certain colors
but look i didnt change that colors
but they just look better at my edition IMHO

Personally, I like the look of Andy's original picture. Looks more filmic. A bit like Velvia with the magenta and stuff but obviously flattened as Velvia is much more punchy and contrasty (Always thought Velvia was a bit Garish outside of landscape and fashion anyway).

As for Monti's looks, I think the first one might be more of a music video look, second is a bit "walking dead" although might work for a commercial centered around domestic abuse. The third option looks like you've gone mental with Nik colour effects. Definitely Final Fantasy and I'd like to see the video out of curiosity.

Guess the key thing with grading (as with every other creative decision) is to have a direction and a point to doing it, not just because you can. My favorite shot is probably the air ducts, very filmic looking, although the shoes look great too. Hmmm, I'm in the mood for shooting now... Where's my camera.

1%

A customer can ask for any of those, and hopefully pay for the post work. I don't think any is "wrong".  Or they just might want flat.

BTW, raw histos and all that jazz are now working, so you can ETTR with time lapse, etc.

Andy600

Thanks @Supermac - The Airduct shot was a complete fluke. The light was perfect  ::)

I did have a little play in Resolve today for an alternate look (just to try and educate myself a bit) and came up with this:

Grade #2

It was around 16 nodes using power windows and qualifiers. I need to get better at this obviously.

Original

Full size: http://imgbox.com/g/gV925C5RSp

Andy600

@1% - Just had a look at your TL commits. Nice work dude! I'll compile a new build tonight unless you already have one uploaded.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Andy600 on August 26, 2013, 07:14:54 PM
@1% - Just had a look at your TL commits. Nice work dude! I'll compile a new build tonight unless you already have one uploaded.

"photo mode raw for 50d" ? What is this into the details ?  :o
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 26, 2013, 06:54:48 PM
Thanks @Supermac - The Airduct shot was a complete fluke. The light was perfect  ::)

I did have a little play in Resolve today for an alternate look (just to try and educate myself a bit) and came up with this:

Grade #2

It was around 16 nodes using power windows and qualifiers. I need to get better at this obviously.

oh yeah much better)
now you are talking hehe

kichetof

@1% if it's what I think, you're crazy!! And I like this!

Quote from: Andy600 on August 26, 2013, 07:14:54 PM

I'm ready to update :)

dogmydog

Quote from: Andy600 on August 26, 2013, 06:54:48 PM

Grade #2

Original

Very nice pics, Andy! Keep it up! :D

Meanwhile I just had a frustrating experience with my first crop shoot and auto ETTR.
I put the camera on the tripod, config Auto-ETTR to half shutter and shot at 3x crop with ML grayscale preview.

I ended up with a baaaad out of focus result. I tried grain and increasing sharpness but it was helpless.

I don't know what happened. I put the 50D on the tripod, magnified 10x to verify focus and everythin was ok.
One thing i know i did wrong is I left the lenses with AF on.

Any hints on what may have happened ,ppl?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

araucaria

Andy has been very kind and shared some his footage with me so I could show off a very nice and simple filmlike workflow I've set up.
On the samples I have done very little grading, just some basic film look I'm happy with.

flat+saturation+curves+lut

flat

flat

flat

flat

As you can see, no noise reduction, great 50d footage from Andy.

What you need:

my camera profile for Adobe programs:
for normal dng: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkdm3uc4n5x7i26/MLfilm.dcp
for cinema dng: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yhv4qsquaygs3s/MLfilm%20strong.dcp

installation instructions: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg66775#msg66775

Once open in Adobe Camera Raw you will leave everything as it is, go to the camera icon (camera calibration) and if you installed the camera profile correctly you will see the camera profile, select the profile and go back to the main adjustment screen, correct exposure and whiteblance if needed. That's it. (make sure you change the color space to a 16bit color space, you can set that at the bottom line in ACR).

If you are using resolve you will export the secuence as a uncompressed 16bit tiff.
If you are using After effects be sure that you are working at least in 16bit.

Apply the lut.

Download the LUTs:

Juanmelara converted these great print emulation LUTs to a Resolve and After Effects compatible format.

http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download/

download these from the blogpost:
Fujifilm 3510
Fujifilm 3513
Kodak 2383
Kodak 2393

If you want to use Resolve he will explain how to, I will focus on After Effects.

For the Samples above I used Fujifilm 3510, the blue in the shadows is rather strong but I like it a lot.

So once you have your secuence in After effects you will apply the lut, choose the "Apply Color LUT effect" under the "Utility" section. Search for the LUT you want to use (use the ConstClip ones) and voila ther you go, this is your starting point. If you are not happy wiht exposure or whitebalance , interpret the footage in ACR again, (right click on footage, interpret footage, more options)
There you go, now add some curves and turn the darks down a little, maybe change the curve in some color channel, and add some saturation (+20,+30 works for me).

I hope you enjoy this, have fun.

Rember one thing, in both, Resolve and After Effects, the LUT will be you last node or layer, every adjustment should be done under or before the last layer, node.

Monti

yeah baby)

color grading parade started

1%

QuoteOne thing i know i did wrong is I left the lenses with AF on.

When you were doing auto ETTR the lens tried to focus. I moved my AF to AF on because of this.

Yes please, build and post. My internet is sucking today + bitbucket is squirly with uploads.

Andy600

The latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 for the 50D is up: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug27.50D109.zip

Includes several important fixes.

Raw exposure meters now work in photo mode  8)

ETTR and Dual ISO have some new settings to play with.

There is a NEW 'Modified' menu (nice)

I have also included up-to-date raw2dng.exe and cr2hdr.exe for processing your raw videos and Dual ISO images. The folder is inside the zip so move it to your desktop before copying the autoexec.bin and ML folder to your CF card.

As ever, big thanks to 1% for his sterling work on the 50D specific code that is better known as Tragic Lantern! and to a1ex, g3gg0 and other devs for their hard work.

Don't forget. I'm not a dev. I just build this shit  ::)

update: recompiled as new changes were just added

dsManning

As always, amazing work to the devs, but Andy, I've never seen someone stay so on top of fresh builds and uploads for the community as you.  A huge thanks to all.

I was a second shooter for a friend at a wedding recently.  Dual ISO worked like a champ later in the evening for low light party time, but I tried to shoot some 'Silent Pictures' which output to DNG files during Live View, and got some frames that were really weird.  I remember seeing some of this earlier in the thread, but no solution.  Any help on this?  Not all frames came out like this, but it would be nice to shoot like this with full confidence.

A few more frames following the link.

http://imgur.com/a/4Vx1T/#0

dsManning

Quote from: dsManning on August 27, 2013, 02:34:20 AM
As always, amazing work to the devs, but Andy, I've never seen someone stay so on top of fresh builds and uploads for the community as you.  A huge thanks to all.

I was a second shooter for a friend at a wedding recently.  Dual ISO worked like a champ later in the evening for low light party time, but I tried to shoot some 'Silent Pictures' which output to DNG files during Live View, and got some frames that were really weird.  I remember seeing some of this earlier in the thread, but no solution.  Any help on this?  Not all frames came out like this, but it would be nice to shoot like this with full confidence.

It went
3 good frames
1 bad frame (pink lines)
2 good frames
3 bad frames (2 pink lines, 1 green)
2 good frames
2 bad frames (1 green, 1 green & pink lines)
1 good frame
2 bad frames (1 pink lines, 1 green)

over the course of 15 seconds or so. Just uploaded the bad frames as .jpg 700px long egde for the forum.  Can upload the entire .DNG sequence if anyone can help resolve.

A few more frames following the link.

http://imgur.com/a/4Vx1T/#0

Sorry meant to modify, not quote.  Edited in red.

1%

What mode where you shooting in? Zoom? I don't think anyone has been checking the silent pics. Raw video doesn't do this but has different sync, etc.

Ok, I reproduced like this:

FPS to 30.00 + zoom mode + dng burst. This way a shit ton of pics are fucked up.

I disable dialog timers.. gd is on 30fps, no bad pics. I dunno, don't blame me ;)