50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgerstel

50D raw test with sports.
Handheld, so little shaky
Canon 50mm 1.8 lens to experiment DOF. This was needed to prevent moire of building behind the sports facility.
ACR workflow and upscaled to 1080p. Added some sharpening, boost lows and reduced highs, no colour grading.

Andy600

Quote from: jgerstel on August 23, 2013, 09:14:43 PM
50D raw test with sports.
Handheld, so little shaky
Canon 50mm 1.8 lens to experiment DOF. This was needed to prevent moire of building behind the sports facility.
ACR workflow and upscaled to 1080p. Added some sharpening, boost lows and reduced highs, no colour grading.

You really need an ND filter ;)

Fast shutter speeds are ok for sports but I think maybe this is a little too much. Get an ND and you'll have much better control over DOF in daylight.

Good effort though considering it's handheld :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

QuoteDo you have any plan to develop this on 50d?

Yea, I just need to get/make the state diagrams so I know when to grab the raw data.. .works on 5DII so should here... its not identical tho so not super easy :(

kichetof

Quote from: 1% on August 24, 2013, 01:17:05 AM
Yea, I just need to get/make the state diagrams so I know when to grab the raw data.. .works on 5DII so should here... its not identical tho so not super easy :(

Great news!!! Thanks man for your hard work!

Don't hesitate to ask if you want me to test something ;)

Monti

i love you magic lantern people
literally
developers and compilators
you are the best

Andy600

Latest 50D discovery: It's a tough S.O.B.

So I was out shooting yesterday evening and had the camera on a fully extended tripod while I looked for a spare battery. Stupid me hadn't secured one of the tripod legs and a couple of seconds after turning by back the leg collapsed and the tripod toppled over with the 50D taking the full impact on the asphalt. I was horrified but apart from an unstuck LCDVF frame, a few grazes to the body and a scuffed mode dial it was fine. I'm actually glad the camera hit and not the lens. I doubt my 600D would have survived.

Apart from the accident I got some great test footage that has confirmed to me that the 50D is capable of some seriously good looking images and I don't to upgrade anytime soon  8)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 24, 2013, 05:53:54 PM

So I was out shooting yesterday evening and had the camera on a fully extended tripod while I looked for a spare battery. Stupid me hadn't secured one of the tripod legs and a couple of seconds after turning by back the leg collapsed and the tripod toppled over with the 50D taking the full impact on the asphalt. I was horrified but apart from an unstuck LCDVF frame, a few grazes to the body and a scuffed mode dial it was fine. I'm actually glad the camera hit and not the lens. I doubt my 600D would have survived.

Apart from the accident I got some great test footage that has confirmed to me that the 50D is capable of some seriously good looking images and I don't to upgrade anytime soon  8)

ameen man

araucaria

Don't upgrade the camera, upgrade the tripod ^^. Share the footage :D

abpcl

Hey guys, 

I'm new to the forum, but have been watching / reading up on the 50d Raw stuff for a little while.  I decided to register and jump in here to drop a question or two, and to also get more involved with the community!  I found a good deal on a 50d and it should be here mid next week!  I'm excited, but a little uncertain / lost, as I've never shot RAW before, and really only ever used a t3i for video / photo.  I did use ML a good bit, just not the RAW module.  I have done some research and tried to figure out as much as I could before it gets here and I can actually dive in and do some tests of my own. 

I did have a few questions, if someone would be kind enough to answer, or show me a link where I can read for myself. 

I see on the OP of this thread that they got 70 mb/s output on the 50d.  I've also seen tests where this number fluctuates and spikes.  I ordered a Transcend 32 GB 1000x 160 read / 120 write CF card.  Is this fast enough?  What max resolution could I get continuous?  Is there a need to invest in a 1066x Toshiba card @ 150 mb/s? 

I know that 32 GB will go fast, so I'm asking before I make another purchase.

Also, I've seen a lot of raw tests on youtube.  Some look incredible @ default 360p.  Others look cropped and don't seem to be that great of quality.  What are the do's and don'ts here from you experience? 

Any recommended settings / advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!  This post maybe should've went partially in a introduce yourself section, but considering the 50d is relative, I posted here.

Sorry for the small book, I just unloaded.

rockfallfilms

Ouch! I did that with my 550D a couple of years ago, luckily it was on rails and the follow focus took the brunt of it. Horrible feeling watching it fall though!

@abpcl - Most people are using 1000x 64gb Komputerbay cards

LEVISDAVIS

abpcl:

You've got a great card to start out with. You'll be able to record at any resolution the camera can record. The card will last about 9 minutes in a 16x9 aspect ratio when using the full sensor. When in 3X mode the recording times and recording lengths are far less. However, if you're into optimizing you can nearly squeeze out a 1920x1080. However, I presume to say your 32GB card will last about 5 minutes in this setting.

The users have been reporting the do's and don'ts with this camera now since about the beginning of the Raw Module development. Seems the highest priority is ETTR (Exposure to the Right). It's possible to record at ISO 200 (the lowest sensor noise setting) and have a lot of noise in the image if the image isn't exposed properly. It's possible to shoot at an ISO 800 and have less noise than ISO 200 if the image is truly exposed to the right. Basically, you'll probably not want to shoot higher than ISO 800 if you're concerned with lots of noise. Again though, every time you shoot you'll want to expose to the right. What happens is the noise embedded in the video is nearly eliminated when you adjust the contrast, exposure, and highlight recovery options in post.

The camera goes through batteries pretty quick, about an hour at best using a 2200mAh.

The camera will overheat and negate your ability to shoot about 22 fps when shooting in high-heat situations (above 90 - 95 degrees).

If you're using Image Stabilization the only way to activate is by half pressing the shutter release button while recording.

For proper testing of the camera - - make sure not to adjust the color profile. I typically stick to Standard or Neutral. Then I will adjust the contrast up to about 1 or 2 out of 4 and also boost the color saturation to 1 of 4.
It's typically a bad idea to use a profile that acts like a color-correction filter because the sensor only records raw information. Exposing your image to the processed color-picture profile usually results in under exposing the image.  Remember, in post you want to have an image that is exposed to the right. If you're pushing your image to the right in post you're introducing a great deal of artifacts that could have been avoided in production.

The Canon 50D produces a great image. However, take special care when shooting video of sharp lines and finite detail (especially in the distance). The sensor is only capable of resolving so much detail out of a shot. If there is a great deal of detail in your shot I'd shoot off two shots. One of them the way you prefer and the other with a slightly soft image (some people say using a poor quality UV filter works and other's say to simply adjust your focus so that the image is soft.)

That's about it... It's going to take some time to get used to the rhythm... But hang tight and suddenly this ML page will start coming to life. There's tons of great direction and great wisdom on ML.
Levi S. Davis

Monti

you know what?

im using lexar x1000 card 16 gb
and it is enough only for around 4 minutes of raw video
damn it

64 gb komputerbay would be much helpful of coz

also need to at least 2 of them

abpcl

Thanks Levi!  Your post was very informative.  I will definitely keep ETTR a priority when I start testing.  Thanks!

I'm posting 2 links.  And I'd like to know what you think.

In the first video, the guy is shooting a slow card, and shoots at a lower resolution for 1280 x 720p.  However it looks great!!!  But whats going on, @ :34 and :35.  The clarity of the flower snaps @ :35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut02ekKykE4

In this second video, the guy shoots at a higher resolution.  It looks great as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0_Kc6_Jkc

I don't exactly know what questions to ask regarding the difference between these 2 tests, because I'm a noob.  But if my card can record continuous at a higher resolution, wouldn't I always want to shoot at the highest resolution possible?  And then upscale for uploads to youtube?

goldenchild9to5

50D is still alive  8) Yeah your right.. the images are just beautiful, hope we see some of your footage posted soon.

Monti

Quote from: abpcl on August 24, 2013, 11:53:37 PM

In this second video, the guy shoots at a higher resolution.  It looks great as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0_Kc6_Jkc

in the end he says he shoot it in japan
and ISO is 100-6400

so means he did HDR video isnt it

otherwise no chance to get such clear video in night time shoot

doctortran

Hey guys,

I wanted to say thanks SO MUCH for Magic Lantern Raw. It's amazing to shoot such sharp images (when you're not missing focus). Here's an example of me missing focus a lot, and pretending to be a nature cinematographer.

No grade. A bit of CA compensation, but you can still see plenty. Some pretty blown out highlights too which I didn't think about, or remove in post. Lots of warp stabilizer.

https://vimeo.com/73021391
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95jOiBqyPo

fotto

just messing around and can't make file spanning to work on my 50D with 64gb komputerbay card. Allways shuts down after 4gb... Do I miss something?

Monti

Quote from: fotto on August 25, 2013, 02:46:11 PM
just messing around and can't make file spanning to work on my 50D with 64gb komputerbay card. Allways shuts down after 4gb... Do I miss something?

yeah thats problem to me too on lexar 16 gb
it shuts after 1 minute that is 4 gb

but that is limitation of file size on this systems

Monti

Quote from: doctortran on August 25, 2013, 03:41:18 AM
Hey guys,

I wanted to say thanks SO MUCH for Magic Lantern Raw. It's amazing to shoot such sharp images (when you're not missing focus). Here's an example of me missing focus a lot, and pretending to be a nature cinematographer.

No grade. A bit of CA compensation, but you can still see plenty. Some pretty blown out highlights too which I didn't think about, or remove in post. Lots of warp stabilizer.

https://vimeo.com/73021391
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95jOiBqyPo

awesome camera work, awesome compositions, awesome storytelling, awesome editing, awesome music matching

color grade is missing

but how did u make awesome slow motion?

what was your workflow?

p.s. you should get Grammy for that, seriously...

1%

Spanning works here, just tested. It takes 3 shoots to get me to 1920x1038 continuous and I think auto mode isn't returning global draw to on.

Monti

okay dudes
a huge present from me to everyone

i made a zoom comparison video on raw canon 50d

this shows how much helpful is to shoot in crop mode

a simple Nikon 70-300 mm VR ED attached to canon 50d
becomes a 3000 mm super tele zoom Full HD video camera

first i shot in 70 mm and then go to 300 mm
then go to 10x crop mode

so in reality that gives me 112 mm and 480 mm and 3000 mm lens.

watch this in HD or Full HD mode only!

p.s. the resolution sucks for unknown reason from VIMEO site
so i am did it another way and soon i update this link to better one

in other words check this is a frame from the video above and how does it magnify

and this is frame from maximum magnification zoom 3000 mm lens
(they dont even sell such lenses in the world. and they cost like 20.000$ for 800 mm or little more)

the above magnified frame is even increased its resolution to 1920 in crop mode
and the first one was like 1572 in normal mode

Monti

that crazy thing above is good even for a stills photo

its giving around 2 megapixel raw files
(which is more than I ever use to share my photos online or whatever you want to print it like A3+ size clean)

on 3000 mm lens like 24 burst photos per second with no buffer limitations continuously for 1 minute
then another 1 minute and again until your compact flash card is full with this 4 gb 1 minute files

that is double of what canon 1dx can do (12 burst shots per second)
also buffer size is limited for like 100 shots maybe

only there is no VR and also manual focus only

so you need like tripod to use this construction i made

but this is good for wildlife and sports shooting when u dont want to miss any frame

they do this on canon 1D C that cost like 13.000$ for 4K video but that is compessed H.264 video
and it is not a raw files like in here

so this on canon 50d i made a great opening on magic lantern (tragic lantern) thing.

Sniper

Quote from: abpcl on August 24, 2013, 07:15:16 PM
I'm excited, but a little uncertain / lost, as I've never shot RAW before, and really only ever used a t3i for video / photo.  I did use ML a good bit, just not the RAW module.

Well first things first learning ML on the T3i took some getting used to.  Unlearning some of what I learned and figuring out the 50D was a lot more painful.  I was actually going to write a guide and put it in this thread to address some of the early pitfalls.

The first thing for raw is get a Komputerbay 64 gb x1000 card.  They are relatively cheap and they hit the speed targets you need for raw.  Second thing is to make sure you get a 32gb or smaller CF card.  You can't install ML the first time with a 64 GB card.  I just got a 4gb Sandisk card for that purpose.

Next if you want to do 1920x1080p 23.976 fps that only works in cropped mode.  Okay, how do you get to cropped mode?  When you are in live view press the button in the far right upper corner.  It has a little blue magnified glass with a plus in it as a label.  It took me awhile to figure out how to get into this crop mode everyone was talking about.

On the T3i I use the zebras to expose till the highlights are barely clipping or about to clip.  On the 50D I use the histogram and EV value.  I try to get the historgram as far to the right as possible and make the EV value 0 or as close to zero as I can without clipping highlights.

In the raw menu there is a place to turn on ML Grayscale preview.  Use this to line up your shot for 1920x1080.  None of the other modes accurately show the scene in crop mode for me.  Maybe Iim doing something wrong.  Yes the ML Grayscale mode looks horrible but you just need if for framing.  Once you have everything framed up then turn global draw off.  Then press the "set" button to begin recording.  A read out will show you your recording speed.  North of 80 mb/s is where you want to be.  Don't worry if you are a little blow.  A lot of the time it speeds up as you record.  There is also a nifty read out that tells you how many frames have been recorded and how many more frames you can expect to record if current conditions prevail.  As your card speeds up the expected number of frames will increase even as you are recording.

The worst part about 1920x1080 for me isn't the record time.  It's the crop factor.  The crop factor is nice because it eliminates most moire/aliasing.  But it is like the 3x zoom factor on the t3i except you don't have a live picture to help you follow objects/animals/people that you are zoomed in on.

Crop mode on the 50D is butt ugly compared to the 3x zoom on the t3i.  It really makes you appreciate how polished ML is on the t3i.  But when you finally see the results out of the 50D you will know it will always have a spot in your stable.  When I have the time and the scene is appropriate nothing in the price range touches the 50D... Nothing.  Keep in mind if you don't use the ML grayscale preview what is shown in the screen is not an accurate representation of what you will record.  I don't know why.

Quote from: abpcl on August 24, 2013, 07:15:16 PMAlso, I've seen a lot of raw tests on youtube.  Some look incredible @ default 360p.  Others look cropped and don't seem to be that great of quality.  What are the do's and don'ts here from you experience?

Well a lot depends on the original resolution, conversion software, compression codec, and how the operator and Youtube beat up the file.  I've seen, no lie, compressed SD footage demonstrating 50D raw.  Only a psychiatrist can explain that.  1920x1080p 23.976 fps in crop mode looks excellent when processed and  exposed properly.  Using inadequate available light and underexposing ruins even a good thing.  I would rather bump up the ISO than underexpose at a lower ISO.  Beyond that use a fast (f/1.4, f/1.8, or f/2.8 in a zoom) lens to get plenty of light.  A stabilizer such as a monopod, tripod, glidecam (probably useless for crop mode), or shoulder rig improves shots immensely.  I don't understand the plethora of shaky hand held test videos.  I mean set the camera on a table, chair, rock, car hood, etc. if you can't afford or be bothered to buy/borrow/steal a tripod.  Where did these people learn photography/videography?!  They are wasting people's time and bandwidth.

keywords:  Canon 50D, Magic Lantern, raw, tips for beginners, instructions, guide, cropped mode, zoom

doctortran

Quote from: Monti on August 25, 2013, 02:58:01 PM
awesome camera work, awesome compositions, awesome storytelling, awesome editing, awesome music matching

color grade is missing

but how did u make awesome slow motion?

what was your workflow?

p.s. you should get Grammy for that, seriously...

Thanks man!

Slow motion was just warp stabilizer. I don't know how it happened -- it just came out slower.

Workflow was raw2cdng, and lightroom with a jpeg export. Then into gopro studio and used premiere pro for editing. Windows based.

Andy600

I just uploaded the test I was doing when my camera took a nose dive on the pavement. The video is in 2 parts - ungraded and graded. Description in the video.

I've uploaded the 1080p H.264 version (that Vimeo re-encoded to 720p) if anyone wants to see the full resolution video (500MB) we.tl/wKhNyBjCD7

Here are a few 1080p frame grabs from the graded part so you can see the quality: http://imgbox.com/g/IKS6mQOvec