50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: Molinsky on August 20, 2013, 03:05:18 AM
So, I don't have to worry about WB anyway?

You should still set correct WB but Raw video and Dual ISO photos are raw so WB can be adjusted in post. UniWB is for setting optimum exposure using RGB meters than actual white balancing which is why UniWB pics often turn out green and need correcting.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: Molinsky on August 20, 2013, 03:09:50 AM
@Andy600

My screen is all messed again. Everything changed back to default after deleting the configuration file. Then I changed the FPS override to 24, exact FPS. The overlay keeps changing as in the video.

Are you using the latest build?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Molinsky

The only builds I used was the ones from August 4th and 12th. I'll download the latest now.

Andy600

Quote from: Molinsky on August 20, 2013, 03:19:05 AM
The only builds I used was the ones from August 4th and 12th. I'll download the latest now.

A lot can happen in a week so it's worth keeping up to date ;) but I don't think your problem is related to the build you are using. It must be something in your settings.

Molinsky

Quote from: Andy600 on August 20, 2013, 03:24:52 AM
A lot can happen in a week so it's worth keeping up to date ;) but I don't think your problem is related to the build you are using. It must be something in your settings.

Well, did everything from scratch. Formatted card, updated to ML 2.3, changed the ML folder and the autoexec.bin with the ones in the build and... everything ok until I change something.

I'll try again tomorrow.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Molinsky on August 20, 2013, 04:36:58 AM
Well, did everything from scratch. Formatted card, updated to ML 2.3, changed the ML folder and the autoexec.bin with the ones in the build and... everything ok until I change something.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Molinsky try this download Andy's Tragic 7 build after you do don't change anything from it, than simply add the 50D firmware in that folder that's it.  That should solve all your problems..

Supermac

Quote from: paulforte on August 20, 2013, 12:41:26 AM
Not sure if the forum is past posting video stills, but I had a great shoot this weekend with my RAW 50D and a Bolex anamorphic lens on a Zeiss 50mm.

http://imgur.com/a/lpE4l#3

Speaking of anamorphic  ;) Is there any chance of an anamorphic preview for the 50D RAW? I for one, would greatly appreciate it!  8)

Bolex looks great, nice ratio and no sign of vignetting too. Very cinematic. Is this the one with 39mm rear thread? What's the filter thread size of the Zeiss 50mm? There's a range of Anamorphic preview's under the display menu on tragic lantern, very useful for framing.

rockfallfilms

I've been thinking of ways to mount my Moller anamorphic lens to my rails and have I've ordered one of these.

http://www.indanc.co.uk/imagecache/3d48c652-5620-433c-8222-9e9600c02873_400x327.jpg

I was going to bolt it to a rail block and then lock it down in front of the taking lens but now I don't think it's going to work because the end of the taking lens is going to move back and forth when focussing.

How have other people mounted their anamorphic's?

(New site looks good)

riccardocovino

This is a test I made to see the difference in quality from Raw to H.264.
With Raw I can get much more detail instead of H.264 compression artifacts (macro-blocking), and also the dynamic range is much wider allowing me to see the wrinkles in the chinese papaer lamp and also the details in the shadow areas.
Thanks to magic lantern for this awesome Raw feature!

You can follow my work on my website:

www.riccardocovino.it
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Andy600

@Riccardo - What ISO did you shoot?

Supermac

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 20, 2013, 12:09:57 PM
I've been thinking of ways to mount my Moller anamorphic lens to my rails and have I've ordered one of these.

http://www.indanc.co.uk/imagecache/3d48c652-5620-433c-8222-9e9600c02873_400x327.jpg

I was going to bolt it to a rail block and then lock it down in front of the taking lens but now I don't think it's going to work because the end of the taking lens is going to move back and forth when focussing.

(New site looks good)

I use a redstan clamp which is custom made for each of my anamorphics and gives a nice thread at the back for me to screw directly onto the taking lens. No problems with focusing but with the chunkier anamorphics you need to bolt onto rods also.

riccardocovino

@Andy600:
I shot at 800 ISO, intentionally under-exposing.
I wanted to saved information on the lamp, and indeed I had them.
You can see here, in this attempt of extreme recovery, that you can see almost every wrinkle of the lamp paper!

Monti

yeah darling
i confirm latest build 19 august works better than 12 august

the frame rate changed from 55 to 67 mb/sec

in crop mode now it can shoot something like 2000 pixel and 1920 pixel with aspect ratio cinemascope
continuous non stop recording around 1 minutes
but this stops when comes to 4 gigabyte file size limit

ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO SURPASS 4 GB filesize limit?

also magic zoom and focus peak works

this is color graded noise reduced sample raw video frame on 1920 pixel in crop mode 3x zoom
yeah quite noisy but its coz crop mode and also high iso low light

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Supermac on August 20, 2013, 02:49:26 PM
I use a redstan clamp which is custom made for each of my anamorphics and gives a nice thread at the back for me to screw directly onto the taking lens. No problems with focusing but with the chunkier anamorphics you need to bolt onto rods also.

Ok fair enough, do you reckon my Moller Anamorphot 32/2x is too chunky to hang off a redstan clamp? I was concerned that the weight might stress the taking lens or the lens mount.

Supermac

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 20, 2013, 03:55:26 PM
Ok fair enough, do you reckon my Moller Anamorphot 32/2x is too chunky to hang off a redstan clamp? I was concerned that the weight might stress the taking lens or the lens mount.
I'd recommend a support and a clamp, without support it will stress the taking lens, especially the focus barrel and it will make ultra difficult focus pulling almost impossible. Lenses bigger or longer than your standard 50mm and you'll definitely need support. My Schneider weighs nearly 2kg and is okay with a 50mm (Can't focus while shooting though). I can still use a longer lens but without support it picks up the slightest wobble.

Monti

Hey people
chill out

my first professional looking music video made by canon 50d and latest tragic lantern from Andy600

watch and learn

paulforte

Quote from: Supermac on August 20, 2013, 11:20:18 AM
Bolex looks great, nice ratio and no sign of vignetting too. Very cinematic. Is this the one with 39mm rear thread? What's the filter thread size of the Zeiss 50mm? There's a range of Anamorphic preview's under the display menu on tragic lantern, very useful for framing.

Tragic Lantern - good to know; I've been using the July 27th build, but I'll take a look around. It's the Bolex Moller Anamorphot 19/8/1.5 which has a 24mm rear thread. This is mine - http://i.imgur.com/RBPNjRr.jpg - I've been using it with the Zeiss 50.. 1.4 which has a 58mm filter thread. BUT, the Zeiss does create a lot of chromatic abberation which I'm a little disappointed with (especially for a $700 lens) so I may experiment with an older Nikon or Canon FD.

paulforte

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 20, 2013, 12:09:57 PM

I also use a Redstan. Works very well for what I have. Solid - http://i.imgur.com/RBPNjRr.jpg

LEVISDAVIS

Seem to be having trouble with TL... Screen overlays such as Histogram and White Frame Boundary are always flickering; sometimes it stops when I activate the ML menu.

HDMI output problem with Unified and TL... HDMI output overlays are offset.

Here are two test examples...

1).TL - - Powered on Camera with the HDMI output connected to monitor and there are offset recording frame boundaries and also flashing overlays.
Results here

2). Unified - - Powered on the camera, activated LV and then plugged in HDMI. Here are the second results...
Results here
Levi S. Davis

riccardocovino

Quote from: Monti on August 20, 2013, 07:39:22 PM
Hey people
chill out

my first professional looking music video made by canon 50d and latest tragic lantern from Andy600

watch and learn

:D
finally a music video and not the usual cats and flowers.. ;)
nice grading, but the Parkinsonian shake of the camera is really disturbing!

Monti

Quote from: riccardocovino on August 20, 2013, 08:16:22 PM
:D
finally a music video and not the usual cats and flowers.. ;)
nice grading, but the Parkinsonian shake of the camera is really disturbing!

this is camera shake that reproducing old world war 2 times
the song says "oh bird dont sing let the soldiers sleep".
and cat goes to sleep at that moment.

i shot it in cyprus

and the idea behind this music clip is
cats were brought in cyprus to fight snakes in past times by humans
and cats were killing snakes and dying for humans
this is historical fact

so my music clip is like putting the real war song from 1945 from russia
to the cyprus cats as if they are the ones who fights the nazi (snakes) =)

fromdecember

I shot someone in front of a green screen for a few tests and used the 3-point light system usually used for chroma keying.  The aperture was open all the way and the subject was a little dark, so I bumped the ISO to about 500 and it was just a little overexposed (by 1 slash whatever that is).  After recording, I dropped it in AE to remove the green screen and it was noisy and tough to get a clean cut.

Any tips on chroma keying with Raw?

riccardocovino

Quote from: Monti on August 20, 2013, 08:26:26 PM
this is camera shake that reproducing old world war 2 times
the song says "oh bird dont sing let the soldiers sleep".
and cat goes to sleep at that moment.

i shot it in cyprus

and the idea behind this music clip is
cats were brought in cyprus to fight snakes in past times by humans
and cats were killing snakes and dying for humans
this is historical fact

so my music clip is like putting the real war song from 1945 from russia
to the cyprus cats as if they are the ones who fights the nazi (snakes) =)

You're crazy, but I appreciate your crazyness!

riccardocovino

Quote from: fromdecember on August 20, 2013, 08:39:31 PM
I shot someone in front of a green screen for a few tests and used the 3-point light system usually used for chroma keying.  The aperture was open all the way and the subject was a little dark, so I bumped the ISO to about 500 and it was just a little overexposed (by 1 slash whatever that is).  After recording, I dropped it in AE to remove the green screen and it was noisy and tough to get a clean cut.

Any tips on chroma keying with Raw?
Chroma keying and 3 point lighting aren't necessarily related.
To achieve a good chroma key the most important thing is to have uniform lighting on the green background.
So, no shadows, no gradients in lighting, no digital noise due to insufficient light.
Never put the character close to the green screen and if you need him to be dark leave enough space behind to allow you to lighten the greenscreen enough.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: paulforte on August 20, 2013, 07:53:28 PM
I also use a Redstan. Works very well for what I have. Solid - http://i.imgur.com/RBPNjRr.jpg

What taking lens have you got in that setup?