50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Supermac on August 19, 2013, 07:20:46 PM
SMC 1.4 Takumar legend lens! God that looks good, very filmic, there was a touch of moire/aliasing on the shutters at the end did you do anything specific about that, ie was it worse before. Guess grain helps, I only say because my most recent test is moire crazy and I'm not sure what to do about it. Also why 1584 x 586, were you shooting anamorphic or just cropping to get the look. Great stuff man.

Thank you Supermac really appreciate your input.. Yeah!!! that SMC 1.4 is a sure winner, but I just ordered a Canon 50mm f1.8 for infinite focusing.  You are definitely right moire and aliasing is definitely a problem, but there are ways around it for example focusing a little softer, depth of field, and finally blurring the Chroma channel in Resolve that's what I did It was way worse than what your seeing in the video.  I almost forgot one last one grading helps a whole lot with aliasing and moire & don't use any sharpening that would make it worse I didn't use any in this video and still came out nice.  I picked that resolution 1. because I wanted to get that aspect ratio while shooting without putting it later in post, and 2nd.  because I didn't have my Komputerbay 64GB 1000X card It went bad I sent it back, waiting for the new one.. was forced to work with what I had a Sandisk 30mb/s 4GB  8) I know what your thinking but it did the trick... To tell you the truth I know nothing about Anamorphic shooting I'm clueless.  All I'm gonna say is that Tragic 6-7 is the way to go even on that card I was able to get more than 15 seconds of footage incredible and with everything else left on just incredible great job Team Magic Lantern. 

goldenchild9to5

@ADJ "I'm going to take a leaf out of goldenchild9to5's book and use some old pentax prime lenses I have which are much faster than my canon zooms"  ;) Yep.. The Pentax Prime Lenses are a must have, great thinking go back dust them off and put them back in your toolkit. 

johansugarev

With the new Magic Lantern build Auto Exposure does not work for me. I enable it and nothing changes.

TrueIndigo

I've been using a 17-50mm Tamron zoom lately, and at f2.8 constant, it's not too bad, but really I'm an old lens fan too. I have two sets of 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses in both Nikon F (AI-S) and Pentax PK. I think the extra clarity when shooting raw (compared to Canon H.264 video) really helps to bring out the character of these older lenses.

LEVISDAVIS

Got a call this morning from Mosaic Engineering. Mosaic Engineering is now creating the first beta 50D VAF. Should be ready within a couple of weeks or so... 

...Will test the VAF and post some video/images here on ML.

Mosaic Engineering stated that a number of shooters have contacted them to purchase the 50D VAF. Again, I'll have a beta version, but they have mentioned that their goal is to produce an alpha 50D VAF... Will know more later.
Levi S. Davis

johansugarev

arrinkiiii

Congratulations ML 50D users for the VAF  :D   less a problem to solve   :D

menoc

Loving the new and improved site. I think it is going to be much easier for the newbies to find their way around installation and downloads. 8)

menoc

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 19, 2013, 10:20:54 PM
Got a call this morning from Mosaic Engineering. Mosaic Engineering is now creating the first beta 50D VAF. Should be ready within a couple of weeks or so... 

...Will test the VAF and post some video/images here on ML.

Mosaic Engineering stated that a number of shooters have contacted them to purchase the 50D VAF. Again, I'll have a beta version, but they have mentioned that their goal is to produce an alpha 50D VAF... Will know more later.

Woooooo Hooooooo!!!!! . . .  :'( So emotional I could cry . . .) 

D.L. Watson

Firstly! Loving the new site. Looks very clean and professional and makes Magic Lantern feel more legitimate then ever before. Great work. Second, I would like to just extend my thanks to the developers of ML and Andy600 for compiling the builds for the 50D. Much appreciated.

Thirdly, Because I keep hearing people say how absurd it is to use a flattening preset on RAW, saying it's no different than using Cinestyle, I decided to do a quick, ungraded comparison. Click images to see in full-res.

Here we have the H.264 with Cinestyle.

And here we have RAW, with the Flatz Preset applied in ACR, rendered to DNxHD.

So...um....yeah. Thanks for playing. :)
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

mjneubrander

Quote from: ADJ on August 19, 2013, 07:40:53 PM
Hi True Indigo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I saw the documentation before your post. I searched for "sequence" and "dng" in their 105 page document but it didn't return anything useful. I've just looked again and realise "batch" and "command" would have been a better searches.  I thought I'd be more likely to get a sensible answer on here rather than on their forums since everyone shooting raw video is doing much the same thing albeit with different software. I didn't think many people shooting stills would be trying to do what we're doing. Anyway for the record their documentation is better than I first thought so I'll have a read at p91 on batch processing and p95 on the command line. I think I read somewhere that the batch operations are more stable.

Anyway I'm not in a rush. I have dng files but won't do anything serious until my adapters arrive. I'm going to take a leaf out of goldenchild9to5's book and use some old pentax prime lenses I have which are much faster than my canon zooms. One's an M42 and the other is a PK mount.  I took my first real pictures on a pentax s1a many years ago and that didn't even have a light meter of any kind on it. I had to use and old Weston handheld meter. I never thought I'd be using the lenses again but I found them in an old kit bag the other day while I was looking for something else.

So I have traveled this road already :) RawTherapee works nicely for batch processing. It is slower than ACR but I like the color handling that can be done with it. I built a batch program which allows you to build a preset in RawTherapee and then select the a preset to use with your raw files. It will allow your to drag and drop a whole directory of raw video, expand them to dng, and then apply presets to each one, after processing it uses ffmbc to make a prores444/yuv444p10 .mov file. Its all batch so feel free to borrow any of the command line code.

The biggest drawback is for some reason in batch mode RawTherapee seems to process white balance, sharpening, and microcontrast on the first file in the sequence horribly wrong your first frame will be unusable.

Your actual batch command might look like
rawtherapee -t -Y -p "%_presetFile%" -o "%CD%" -c "%CD%"

The batch file is going to look for dcraw.exe ffmbc.exe libiconv2.dll libintl3.dll raw2dng.exe regex2.dll and sed.exe in the folder with it. The zips in the linked thread provide those files. Raw2dng.exe is horribly out of date though.

Latest version of the windows based .bat file only I have
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2sc-xLyUSKqQWdPdlFHZjlPaU0/edit?usp=sharing

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5837

menoc

Quote from: jgerstel on August 18, 2013, 03:52:57 PM
Hi,

Installed Aug 17 build on my 50D today. I can not reproduce the bug above, so is working fine here. I prefer Tragic TL over ML, because it enables more seconds of recording in 1080p. Test today: avg 41 secs with 1920 x 1080 @ 24 fps. With ML is only a few secs. Also for dual iso: if you are using mac, you can use cr2hdr here:
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/dual_iso/cr2hdr
This also does not have the " green " issue.

BTW congratulations with the new website  8)

Cheers,
Jorgen

This link does not work on my mac . . .

mjneubrander

Quote from: ADJ on August 17, 2013, 09:40:12 PM
I just got my D50 last week and am trying to catch up with all the new stuff. I tried to find some tutorials on Raw Therapee, either on the command line or otherwise but couldn't find much. I rarely buy software for anything but I'm sensing that many people on these forums has spent a fair bit of money on something from Adobe. The only other free alternative I've heard of is UFRaw but again finding good tutorials is something that's eluding me. Please let us know if you find anything useful.

ADJ and also to trueindigo there are a couple more options in the open source world that I can put out there since I like to experiment to.

Dcraw all platforms - insanely fast minimal options all command line

Photivo all platforms - very detailed and lots of options (eg. 5 types of denoise, 5 types of sharpening, both bayered and debayered methods). When I want the most out of a raw file I use this

Darktable linux mac - great with color with stackable filters (eg. apply the same filter 5x differently each time), my favorite interface besting even LR after setting a few hotkeys, but it does not cache anything kinda slows things down

RawTherapee all platforms - as already mentioned this one is pretty nice

I have been able to do batch processing from command line with all of these except I have not tried with darktable yet. ADJ can you tell me what you use for video editing.

paulforte

Not sure if the forum is past posting video stills, but I had a great shoot this weekend with my RAW 50D and a Bolex anamorphic lens on a Zeiss 50mm.

http://imgur.com/a/lpE4l#3

Speaking of anamorphic  ;) Is there any chance of an anamorphic preview for the 50D RAW? I for one, would greatly appreciate it!  8)

Molinsky

Quote from: menoc on August 19, 2013, 11:18:50 PM
Loving the new and improved site. I think it is going to be much easier for the newbies to find their way around installation and downloads. 8)

Yeah, great surprise today! It's very beautiful.

Molinsky

Hi, guys! I'm having a problem when I'm loading the modules with Tragic Lantern. It's impossible to use with the Global Draw and I don't how to check my histogram anymore.

I tried some builds and the one in this video is the first build with dual iso.

What do I have to do to fix it?

p.s.: sorry about the quality, two hands to record AND manage the 50D.

PR0M3THIANN

Hello. Currently me and my crew have been shooting in the RAW format on the Canon 50d
DSLR Camera, that was allowed by the use of Magic Lantern's Firmware. I have a few inquiries
and would like to know some opinions. Currently we have the following as a prototype workflow;

RAW2DNG> Davinci Resolve,Pro-RES files to Adobe Prmiere>(Adobe link is
being used so there is no rendering back out of after effects to be brought back
into premiere) AFter effects for compositing> back to resolve for final grade>
then xml back to prmiere for final rendering.

Is this workflow even possible? if it is, is it efficient? what other worklfow patterns are inb fact possible or even more efficient?

goldenchild9to5

Welcome to the 50D community.. To tell you truth your workflow seems to be really complicated, I always try to keep it simple.  For example my workflow is RawMagic -> Davinci (Do all my color grading and upscaling in Davinci) -> Export to ProRes 422HQ, or 4444 all depends on the project -> Into Premiere CS6 do all my editing & put the final touches on footage export for delivery voila..

Andy600

@Molinsky - Have you tried deleting your config files?

Also, I noticed in your video that you have UniWB? Is anyone else missing this on the 50D because I don't seem to have it on mine  ???

Edit: Just looked at the code and UniWB was removed by a1ex in June but I think 1% kept it in Tragic Lantern though it looks like it's now disabled in TL too????
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on August 20, 2013, 02:25:12 AM

Also, I noticed in your video that you have UniWB? Is anyone else missing this on the 50D because I don't seem to have it on mine  ???

Yes I'm missing the UniWB on my 50D.  What does it stand for, or what function does it have?

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 20, 2013, 02:50:00 AM
Yes I'm missing the UniWB on my 50D.  What does it stand for, or what function does it have?

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm I'm not sure if it's intentionally removed from Tragic Lantern but it looks that way.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Molinsky

Thank you very much, @Andy600! Everything is normal now.  :D

I found the UniWB by accident. I was checking the RGB from a overexposed white picture and adjusted the white balance by the R/G/B multiplier. While the values differ, setting RGB to 1015, 1015 and 1103 respectively made me find the UniWB.

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 20, 2013, 02:50:00 AM

It stands for "universal white balance". It means, basically, that I don't have to worry about it. My histogram for RAW is as close to reality as possible. I found this answer very good:

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/664/what-is-universal-white-balance-uniwb

Andy600

UniWB was useful when the histogram was only RGB but it's not needed now because we have a raw histogram and zebras (when they are set to raw of course)

Molinsky

So, I don't have to worry about WB anyway?

Molinsky

@Andy600

My screen is all messed again. Everything changed back to default after deleting the configuration file. Then I changed the FPS override to 24, exact FPS. The overlay keeps changing as in the video.