50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgerstel

Hi, yes I compiled myself using your 12 august source. The default windows .exe in the dual_iso thread was causing the " green " issue for 50D and I needed Mac version. So ML developer has fixed it in the code already before my compile, but the mac binary was never out there.

Andy600

Quote from: jgerstel on August 18, 2013, 05:34:56 PM
Hi, yes I compiled myself using your 12 august source. The default windows .exe in the dual_iso thread was causing the " green " issue for 50D and I needed Mac version. So ML developer has fixed it in the code already before my compile, but the mac binary was never out there.

Ok, thanks :)

So, for anyone using Dual ISO on the 50D, I've re-compiled cr2hdr.exe for Windows https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads (Folder includes exif tool and dcraw).

Not sure if this will have any effect on the green issue though.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

jgerstel

Fix confirmed  ::), checked your new windows cr2hdr and green issue is also solved here. :-)

Andy600

Quote from: jgerstel on August 18, 2013, 06:21:30 PM
Fix confirmed  ::), checked your new windows cr2hdr and green issue is also solved here. :-)

Amazeballs!

(disclaimer: This is the one and only time I will ever use that expression)  ;D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 18, 2013, 06:28:56 PM
Amazeballs!

(disclaimer: This is the one and only time I will ever use that expression)  ;D

Amazeballs it is...)

I also tested it - really no green stuff anymore on dual ISO!

so it was not the magic lantern problem but it was a program that converts cr2 to dng

here is test shot on this. however stuff are quite noisy now... seems like previous green was better?

so as i understand
highlights are shot on 200 iso
and shadows on 1600 iso?

Sniper

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 16, 2013, 07:07:40 AM
Got the 50D out in the mail today to reach Mosaic Engineering!

Got plenty of time to think about it... But, what would you consider an appropriate testing procedure for the 50D and the VAF?

The problem as I understand it with Anti aliasing filters is they work best at one resolution.  So which resolution is Mosaic Engineering going to make it for?  I got the 50D to shoot raw.  As I understand it at the moment Full HD raw is currently not available so I will be relegated to using a lower resolution raw for the time being.  Are they going to make a $300 filter for the lower res raw?

green235

Hi Forum, Just sharing my experience recording RAW with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s CF card on a 50d, I was able to get continuous recording at the following resolutions.

1584 x 896 @ 24fps
1584 x 1056 @ 24fps
1920 x 818 @ 24fps in 5x Crop Mode

However, in 1920 x 1080 @ 24fps in 5x Crop mode i was not able to get continuous recording, that's not a big deal as the 1920 x 818 in crop mode suffices my appetite.
For countries where the Komputer Bay 1000x or the Lexar 1000x cards are hard to find the Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s card which is relatively easy to find should do the trick.

Cheers

araucaria

Quote from: Sniper on August 18, 2013, 09:58:16 PM
The problem as I understand it with Anti aliasing filters is they work best at one resolution.  So which resolution is Mosaic Engineering going to make it for?  I got the 50D to shoot raw.  As I understand it at the moment Full HD raw is currently not available so I will be relegated to using a lower resolution raw for the time being.  Are they going to make a $300 filter for the lower res raw?
It has to be design for a specific sensor and should be used in the normal mode (no zoom mode). That's it.

The 50d do have fullhd mode, but it is a zoom mode (3x crop) which reads every single pixel so there is no need for an extra aliasing filter.

As you can see it has nothing to do with resolution.

Sniper

Quote from: araucaria on August 18, 2013, 10:44:43 PM
It has to be design for a specific sensor and should be used in the normal mode (no zoom mode). That's it.

The 50d do have fullhd mode, but it is a zoom mode (3x crop) which reads every single pixel so there is no need for an extra aliasing filter.

As you can see it has nothing to do with resolution.

I have a 600D.  Aliasing is markedly reduced in 3x zoom WITHOUT VAF.  VAT-TXi works on full resolution 1920sx1080.  It does not work on the 720p resolution.

I am seeing a bunch of resolutions for the 50D.  Which ones would work with a theoretical VAF?

johansugarev

If someone were to make a VAF it should be calibrated for the max resolution the 50D can handle - 1584 by 1058. Crop mode does not need a VAF in my opinion.

Andy600

Latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 build (the previous build was an intermediate) plus latest raw2dng.exe and cr2hdr.exe (swap older versions of raw2dng.exe in Windows apps like BATCHelor etc).

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

From now on I will upload the processing apps each time there is a new build so always download the top 2 files.

@jgerstel - Any chance you can compile raw2dng and cr2hdr for Mac? I'm PC based.

araucaria

Quote from: Sniper on August 18, 2013, 11:35:56 PM
I have a 600D.  Aliasing is markedly reduced in 3x zoom WITHOUT VAF.  VAT-TXi works on full resolution 1920sx1080.  It does not work on the 720p resolution.

I am seeing a bunch of resolutions for the 50D.  Which ones would work with a theoretical VAF?
The 50d does not have a 720p mode, there is only Full sensor mode and Crop mode. As I said the crop mode doesn't need a VAF it is the full frame that needs one.
The resolutions you can choose between are nothing but crops out of the full stream. For example, if you choose 1280x720 and you are shooting without zooming in it will be the 1280x720 pixel portion out of the full 1584x1058 stream, but the sensor is still in the same mode, the same lines are skipped, lines that have to be "blurred together" to avoid the aliasing artifacts.

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 18, 2013, 11:55:11 PM
Latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 build (the previous build was an intermediate) plus latest raw2dng.exe and cr2hdr.exe (swap older versions of raw2dng.exe in Windows apps like BATCHelor etc).

From now on I will upload the processing apps each time there is a new build so always download the top 2 files.

it looks like it takes eternity to render one CR2 file with this new programm cr2hdr.exe

but it looks like a hell less noise than previous cr2hdr.exe test i did today

did you change program?

P.S. this are 100% crops from a full image so its like magnification to pixel pixel view

Can only say BRAVO! To Andy600 and all devs and who making this coding...

kichetof

Quote from: Andy600 on August 18, 2013, 11:55:11 PM

@jgerstel - Any chance you can compile raw2dng and cr2hdr for Mac? I'm PC based.

Thank's for this new release! I only tested few minutes.

• raw video works perfectly! (69mb/s on my lexar 16gb 1000x with global draw off)
  • auto ettr works perfectly but only on live view
  • auto exposure seem doesn't works (maybe it's too dark now)

I'll try more tomorrow!
Thanks for your work!

D.L. Watson

I really like the dynamic range and image quality of Duel ISO. Man, I really wish this was possible for video on the 50D.

Not the prettiest of photos, but it really shows off the nice range between highlights and shadows.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

goldenchild9to5

I love my 50D Thank you Team @1% @Andy600 @a1ex for the advances.  Hey guy's just been working diligently on different looks for my upcoming music video I'm so pleased with the results that I've been getting  ;D.  Let me know what you think... 

Shot on Canon 50D with Magic Lantern Raw Hack.
Hack: Tragic 6
Resolution: 1584x586
Global Draw on, Small Hack on, Focus Peaking on, Zebra on, Histogram on, Waveform on..
Lens: super-multi- coated takumar 50mm f1.4 M42
Workflow: RawMagic into Davinci Resolve 9 Color corrected than exported as ProRes 422HQ into Premiere Pro CS6. Filmconvert Plugin on 20% and Grain, than applied additional custom Grain.

TrueIndigo

Sorry ADJ, I missed your post first time around - here's a link to the RAW Therapee documentation page:

http://rawtherapee.com/blog/documentation

I'm making some notes from the manual and then I'll install it and find out what it's like. The website also has a forum which should be able to answer any specific questions you might have. I'd like to know how well it handles batch processing large numbers of images (for video).

kichetof

Quote from: kichetof on August 19, 2013, 01:44:07 AM
Thank's for this new release! I only tested few minutes.

• raw video works perfectly! (69mb/s on my lexar 16gb 1000x with global draw off)
  • auto ettr works perfectly but only on live view
  • auto exposure seem doesn't works (maybe it's too dark now)

I'll try more tomorrow!
Thanks for your work!

Hi,

After some tests everything works well! it was to late yesterday :-)

• - Auto exposure works well with the day light! It was too dark yesterday ;)
  • - Auto ETTR works very well but only on live view (it's not great for timelapses :()
  • - Dual ISO works well but I need to increase EV +1 to obtain a good result (on dark light) (I took some pictures with dual iso 100/1600, iso 100 and iso 1600 and the result seem like iso 100), the noise is very smoothly when you add 1EV to dual iso compared at iso 100 <-- awesome!
  • - Digic focus peaking may be very useful!
  • - Arkanoid is funny !

Thank's all for your works!

Asiertxu

Hey fellows!
I want to try out Dual Iso but I seem to be doing something wrong when processing my Dual Iso pictures.
The images from 50D´s are O.K (two Isos are in all pictures I take in this mode.....) so:
Is there any good information about HOW TO process these pictures?
I´ve tried with  cr2hdr , dcraw and exiftool (Windows XP and 7 wersions...) but nothing seems to happen! :(
Even tried with yout last update Andy600 without sucess!
Some help would be VERY APPRECIATE!
Thanks in advance...
Asier.

Andy600

Quote from: Asiertxu on August 19, 2013, 03:09:39 PM
Hey fellows!
I want to try out Dual Iso but I seem to be doing something wrong when processing my Dual Iso pictures.
The images from 50D´s are O.K (two Isos are in all pictures I take in this mode.....) so:
Is there any good information about HOW TO process these pictures?
I´ve tried with  cr2hdr , dcraw and exiftool (Windows XP and 7 wersions...) but nothing seems to happen! :(
Even tried with yout last update Andy600 without sucess!
Some help would be VERY APPRECIATE!
Thanks in advance...
Asier.

Drag and drop your .cr2 files onto cr2hdr.exe

Molinsky

Quote from: Monti on August 18, 2013, 03:02:34 PM
the thing that surprises me
that there is only 40-100 times downloads for each of the builds

is it just 40 people sticking around over this forum topic?

Yeah, I was very curious about this number. I always thought that the 50D was kind of "winning the world" now.

And my Transcend card never arrives... I think I'll post some tests I made with a 30mb/s "top speed" card. Because it's what I got now.

dogmydog

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 19, 2013, 08:58:05 AM
I love my 50D Thank you Team @1% @Andy600 @a1ex for the advances.  Hey guy's just been working diligently on different looks for my upcoming music video I'm so pleased with the results that I've been getting  ;D.  Let me know what you think... 

Global Draw on, Small Hack on, Focus Peaking on, Zebra on, Histogram on, Waveform on..
Workflow: RawMagic into Davinci Resolve 9 Color corrected than exported as ProRes 422HQ into Premiere Pro CS6. Filmconvert Plugin on 20% and Grain, than applied additional custom Grain.

Amazing quality!
Keep up the good work! :D
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

goldenchild9to5

Thank you @dogmydog appreciate it.. I will  :D

Supermac

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 19, 2013, 08:58:05 AM

SMC 1.4 Takumar legend lens! God that looks good, very filmic, there was a touch of moire/aliasing on the shutters at the end did you do anything specific about that, ie was it worse before. Guess grain helps, I only say because my most recent test is moire crazy and I'm not sure what to do about it. Also why 1584 x 586, were you shooting anamorphic or just cropping to get the look. Great stuff man.

ADJ

Quote from: TrueIndigo on August 19, 2013, 10:32:05 AM
Sorry ADJ, I missed your post first time around - here's a link to the RAW Therapee documentation page:

http://rawtherapee.com/blog/documentation

I'm making some notes from the manual and then I'll install it and find out what it's like. The website also has a forum which should be able to answer any specific questions you might have. I'd like to know how well it handles batch processing large numbers of images (for video).

Hi True Indigo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I saw the documentation before your post. I searched for "sequence" and "dng" in their 105 page document but it didn't return anything useful. I've just looked again and realise "batch" and "command" would have been a better searches.  I thought I'd be more likely to get a sensible answer on here rather than on their forums since everyone shooting raw video is doing much the same thing albeit with different software. I didn't think many people shooting stills would be trying to do what we're doing. Anyway for the record their documentation is better than I first thought so I'll have a read at p91 on batch processing and p95 on the command line. I think I read somewhere that the batch operations are more stable.

Anyway I'm not in a rush. I have dng files but won't do anything serious until my adapters arrive. I'm going to take a leaf out of goldenchild9to5's book and use some old pentax prime lenses I have which are much faster than my canon zooms. One's an M42 and the other is a PK mount.  I took my first real pictures on a pentax s1a many years ago and that didn't even have a light meter of any kind on it. I had to use and old Weston handheld meter. I never thought I'd be using the lenses again but I found them in an old kit bag the other day while I was looking for something else.