50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADJ

Quote from: TrueIndigo on August 16, 2013, 11:31:53 PM
One of the great benefits of raw footage is in the post-production; I am currently using ACR but my next area of exploration will be trying Raw Therapee as an alternative.

I just got my D50 last week and am trying to catch up with all the new stuff. I tried to find some tutorials on Raw Therapee, either on the command line or otherwise but couldn't find much. I rarely buy software for anything but I'm sensing that many people on these forums has spent a fair bit of money on something from Adobe. The only other free alternative I've heard of is UFRaw but again finding good tutorials is something that's eluding me. Please let us know if you find anything useful.

lomka

so i have read many posts and many people were complaining about aliasing and moire is it really that bad or same as the H.264?

kichetof

Quote from: Andy600 on August 17, 2013, 01:31:40 AM
Latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 (Andy600 intermediate build)

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Features a1ex's NEW experimental Digic Focus Peaking which doesn't impact on raw video record time/performance.

3 options currently available: Increased sharpness, Edge and Chroma.

Find it in the display menu.

Plus other minor fixes.

Hello,

Thank you to all the team for your great work on this superb body!
Maybe I missed something with all those testes on all these updates since May! (Thanks Gregory and Andy).

I had fun as a kid with ETTR and intervalometer and I noticed that ETTR only works in live view, is this normal?

Setting in manual mode, iso manual, manual and automatic focus, default settings ETTR (Trigger mode: Always On), with the latest Andy's update (Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug17.50D109-DIGIC_FOCUS_PEAKING).

Thank you all for your work and thank you for all these findings A1ex!

Cheers !
Tof

Edit : I tried a version of ML (magiclantern-Andy600.Build.2013Aug04.50D109) and ETTR work only in live view too.

Edit 2: I tried an other version of ML from Gregory (magiclantern-2013Jul27.50D.109.go.unified.728e571a1276) and this is the same thing. I think is the ETTR module who don't work without live view on the 50D.

Everything works perfectly in raw video <-- live view enabled
Any idea or suggestion?

I forgot to mention that I read and reread the guide: (Auto) ETTR (Exposure to the Right): -- History & Beginners Guide

jamesonblade

Hey guys,

So, I don't know how I did it before, but I had raw video recording working smoothly on my 50D with the 2.3 stable release...

I recently formatted all my cards, and when i reinstalled ML the "M" menu and modules were nowhere to be found. After troubleshooting, the closest I got was installing 2.3 to a card, and then overwriting the EOS_DIGITAL/autoexec.bin and ML/modules files on the card with Andy600's latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 build files-

I got my module menus back and raw video capabilities, but ML kept crashing before I could even try to record.

:'(

Can anyone link me to a self-contained build that has working modules/autoexec.bin so i don't have to rearrange a bunch of crap to get raw_rec working?

I'm really looking forward to trying out a new anamorphic lens.

Thanks all.

johansugarev

you have to replace all folders in ML on your card with the once in the new build. Some would consider this common sense.

jamesonblade

some people are nice.

some people are jackasses.

some people have rigged the enemy base with explosives.

thanks for the info and have a great day!

jhnkng

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to post some footage that I shot a couple of weeks ago while I was out with the family. It was all very impromptu, all hand held with no rig, didn't even have a viewfinder with me (hence the crappy focus!) But I love the look of the 50d, so thanks to the devs who made this possible!

(harustudio is the name of our business, no point in wasting a branding opportunity :)

I shot it on one of the recent Tragic Lantern builds, exported to Prores422 from TIFF sequences made in Lightroom, then cut and graded in Premiere Pro CC. The looks are from the included Lumetri presets, and I really like them. Looks great for things like this.

I've also cobbled together a workflow on OS X that mimics how RAWanizer works, by installing DCRaw and FFMpeg on my computer, then running a shell script in Automator. So my workflow for this has been:

RAWMagic > Batch Create Previews Automator Workflow > Rough edit in Premiere > Basic grade and output from Lightroom > Batch Create Prores422 Automator Workflow > Replace previews, edit, grade and export in Premiere

The batch previews workflow is especially helpful, I can go from downloading a 1 minute sequence to having a viewable preview movie on my laptop in about 5 minutes, so while it's not real time playback, it means I could conceivably watch back a 32gb card's worth of clips in under an hour. It's nowhere near as elegant as RAWanizer, and it's a bit of a mission to get DCRaw and FFMpeg installed in OSX (although I've potentially made it easier now that I've found where I can download the binaries of both those programs. Originally I had to compile them myself), but it works great and I'm in the process of putting together a full step by step tutorial, which I hope will help some of you.

D.L. Watson

Attended a wedding and tested the duel iso for my 50D. Some beautiful dynamic range.

When nighttime hit, I tried to see if I could do something like 800/12800 but even though it was selected, it still defaulted back to 800/1600. Maybe a bug? (I know it would be incredi-noise, but I just wanted to see how bad it would be).
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Asiertxu

@ jhnkng:
Really nice footage from 50D!
I´ve also recorded alot of RAW clips hand held so these are quite shaky...none the less the image quality IS still INCREDIBLE! :)
I´ll try to make a compilation from my best 50D clips an share it here.
So thanks again to 1%, Andy600 and all the ML team that made THIS possible! :)

@ D.L. Watson:
Really cool picture from Dual ISO!
I´ve also tried to make some but when  processing them in cr2hdr, it seems to nothing happen, only an MS-DOS (windows version here...) window that disappears very quckly!.
I have all pictures (*.CR2) in the same root as the cr2hdr.exe is located....
Some help could be nice!
Thanks in advance and cheers...
Asier.

Monti

Quote from: jhnkng on August 18, 2013, 07:03:45 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to post some footage that I shot a couple of weeks ago while I was out with the family. It was all very impromptu, all hand held with no rig, didn't even have a viewfinder with me (hence the crappy focus!) But I love the look of the 50d, so thanks to the devs who made this possible!

(harustudio is the name of our business, no point in wasting a branding opportunity :)

I shot it on one of the recent Tragic Lantern builds, exported to Prores422 from TIFF sequences made in Lightroom, then cut and graded in Premiere Pro CC. The looks are from the included Lumetri presets, and I really like them. Looks great for things like this.

I've also cobbled together a workflow on OS X that mimics how RAWanizer works, by installing DCRaw and FFMpeg on my computer, then running a shell script in Automator. So my workflow for this has been:

RAWMagic > Batch Create Previews Automator Workflow > Rough edit in Premiere > Basic grade and output from Lightroom > Batch Create Prores422 Automator Workflow > Replace previews, edit, grade and export in Premiere

The batch previews workflow is especially helpful, I can go from downloading a 1 minute sequence to having a viewable preview movie on my laptop in about 5 minutes, so while it's not real time playback, it means I could conceivably watch back a 32gb card's worth of clips in under an hour. It's nowhere near as elegant as RAWanizer, and it's a bit of a mission to get DCRaw and FFMpeg installed in OSX (although I've potentially made it easier now that I've found where I can download the binaries of both those programs. Originally I had to compile them myself), but it works great and I'm in the process of putting together a full step by step tutorial, which I hope will help some of you.

Not bad.
Now we can see advantages of canon 50d

Andy600

Quote from: Eran on August 17, 2013, 03:44:08 PM
Thanks for the build Andy600 !

@Andy600 "...you can press the INFO button a few times to get rid of the extra black bars"

But do we need to press the INFO all the time before each shot? I personally as @johansugarev prefer to see the entire frame all the time so it's feel like "bug" to keep pressing it over and over. What do you think?

Although the black bars in TL2.0 are not a 'bug' I kind of agree that the write performance increase is so small that we can probably lose them. I always hit INFO to do it manually anyway.

@1% can this hack be reverted? Also, any luck finding how to reduce contrast in crop mode grayscale preview?

re: aperture 'bug'. It wasn't intentionally fixed in the last build so I'm surprised that some users no longer have that issue and you still do. There must be something in each user's config that affects things. I can't personally test it because all my lenses are manual aperture. I don't even have a kit lens to play with.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

kichetof

@Andy

There are a bug with yours TL latest update. When you record a raw video, when you finished the video by click on SET, the blue light flashed, the red light too and the display turn off. When you click on live view button you return on photo mode and the display on. When you re click on LV, the display turn off. After turn off the body, click on LV works fine the first time and the second time I've an error 99.

The crashlog:
ASSERT: 0
at Stub.c:29, task LVC_AE
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Andy600.Build.2013Aug17.50D109
Mercurial changeset   : 74dac53a5f5e+ (build-bot-2.0) tip
Built on 2013-08-16 22:57:26 UTC by magiclantern@magiclantern-VirtualBox.
Free Memory  : 285K + 3183K

And the log: http://pastebin.com/dbkL5nAi (sorry it's too long to copy here)

I hope it's useful for you!

Thanks a lot !

Edit : don't appear on the previous TL update (august 12th Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600build.2013Aug12.50D109-DUAL-ISO)

Monti

Quote from: kichetof on August 18, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
@Andy

There are a bug with yours TL latest update. When you record a raw video, when you finished the video by click on SET, the blue light flashed, the red light too and the display turn off. When you click on live view button you return on photo mode and the display on. When you re click on LV, the display turn off. After turn off the body, click on LV works fine the first time and the second time I've an error 99.

The crashlog:

Thanks a lot !

good that i didnt install the latest one)

Andy600

Quote from: kichetof on August 18, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
@Andy

The crashlog:

Thanks a lot !

@Kichetof - I can't say I've had the same problem and can't reproduce it on my camera but thanks for posting the log. Maybe one of the devs can have a quick look through to see if there is an obvious problem.

@Monti - Yes, I would advise you to stick to vanilla ML v2.3 and not use any of the new features. It's far too buggy and as you can see there are pages and pages of unhappy users here  ::) - but on a more serious note, if it wasn't for users testing these builds we would never find these bugs/issues/anomalies. The last build is as stable as any of the previous ones AFAIK. It's up to you guys to prove otherwise ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

kichetof

@Andy don't worry I try to reproduce them and I've some difficulty. I go on LV, I set on ML Movie Record, I activate Raw video and I turn raw video on and either it crash before displaying the resolution or it crash after displaying the resolution (the screen freezes).

I'll return on the august 12nd build :-)

Andy600

Quote from: kichetof on August 18, 2013, 01:32:02 PM
@Andy don't worry I try to reproduce them and I've some difficulty. I go on LV, I set on ML Movie Record, I activate Raw video and I turn raw video on and either it crash before displaying the resolution or it crash after displaying the resolution (the screen freezes).

I'll return on the august 12nd build :-)

Did you have the new Digic focus peaking enabled when you had the crashes?

kichetof

Quote from: Andy600 on August 18, 2013, 01:34:53 PM
Did you have the new Digic focus peaking enabled when you had the crashes?

Nope! I activate all the minimum required to test where the bug come. It's seem to come from the raw_rec module. I've a freeze when I enabled it. (Sometimes on the previous build too)

jhnkng

Quote from: Asiertxu on August 18, 2013, 12:19:55 PM
@ jhnkng:
Really nice footage from 50D!
I´ve also recorded alot of RAW clips hand held so these are quite shaky...none the less the image quality IS still INCREDIBLE! :)
I´ll try to make a compilation from my best 50D clips an share it here.
So thanks again to 1%, Andy600 and all the ML team that made THIS possible! :)

Thanks :) I know what you mean with the hand held shots, I didn't think I'd have time to shoot anything so I didn't pack anything besides the camera and a lens!

Quote from: Monti on August 18, 2013, 01:00:19 PM
Not bad.
Now we can see advantages of canon 50d

Thanks mate :)

Andy600

For those who want to stick with Unified code here is the latest Magic Lantern build (includes Digic Focus Peaking, Dual ISO, Auto Exposure etc etc): https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads#download-222424

Monti

Quote from: Andy600 on August 18, 2013, 02:20:24 PM
For those who want to stick with Unified code here is the latest Magic Lantern build (includes Digic Focus Peaking, Dual ISO, Auto Exposure etc etc): https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads#download-222424

oh cool
u doing hard job

but what is unified code?
is it different from tragic lantern?

p.s. im running your 12 august tragic lantern and its so cool

the thing that surprises me
that there is only 40-100 times downloads for each of the builds

is it just 40 people sticking around over this forum topic?

Andy600

Quote from: Monti on August 18, 2013, 03:02:34 PM
oh cool
u doing hard job

but what is unified code?
is it different from tragic lantern?

p.s. im running your 12 august tragic lantern and its so cool

the thing that surprises me
that there is only 40-100 times downloads for each of the builds

is it just 40 people sticking around over this forum topic?

I'm doing the 'easiest' part of the job. The devs do the hard stuff.

The differences between Tragic and Magic have been posted about MANY times in this thread. Use search.

As for amount of 50D users, who knows? I guess some stick to Canon FW, some are on ML2.3 and a few are using Alpha builds of Magic or Tragic. One thing I'm sure of is that users of ML on the 50D have multiplied recently for some reason  ;) 

jgerstel

Hi,

Installed Aug 17 build on my 50D today. I can not reproduce the bug above, so is working fine here. I prefer Tragic TL over ML, because it enables more seconds of recording in 1080p. Test today: avg 41 secs with 1920 x 1080 @ 24 fps. With ML is only a few secs. Also for dual iso: if you are using mac, you can use cr2hdr here:
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/dual_iso/cr2hdr
This also does not have the " green " issue.

BTW congratulations with the new website  8)

Cheers,
Jorgen

rockfallfilms

Quote from: johansugarev on August 17, 2013, 03:03:17 PM
rockfallfilms, can you share your preset?

I'm going to shoot some charts to get a true colour/noise profile off the 50D sensor first, then I'll share it.

By the time I've got it sorted Resolve 10 might be out with its new super duper debayering :)

Andy600

Quote from: jgerstel on August 18, 2013, 03:52:57 PM
Hi,

Installed Aug 17 build on my 50D today. I can not reproduce the bug above, so is working fine here. I prefer Tragic TL over ML, because it enables more seconds of recording in 1080p. Test today: avg 41 secs with 1920 x 1080 @ 24 fps. With ML is only a few secs. Also for dual iso: if you are using mac, you can use cr2hdr here:
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/dual_iso/cr2hdr
This also does not have the " green " issue.

BTW congratulations with the new website  8)

Cheers,
Jorgen

Did you compile cr2hdr.exe yourself and did you change anything to fix the green issue?

Monti

Congratulations with 777 posts)

btw the only thing that kicks me off in canon 50d
(such old and such great camera - thanks to magic/tragic lantern team)

is the shutter sound when you take photos
it really reminds like a toilet tank cover flaps down hehe