50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkway

Quote from: araucaria on August 14, 2013, 04:58:11 AM
Okay, there have been popping up presets for After Effects/Adobe to get flat pictures, import or render them to 10bit and apply luts or whatever. I've also read people complaining about flickering in ACR.

To avoid this, I have "created" two a camera profiles which give you a very flat picture style and some desaturation. This is just a test as I'm not an expert but I think it works fine (tried out with the 50d raw video with cdng files). I will look into it again when I have some time. Here are the camera profiles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxxj82szbimxn8f/MLfilm%20slight.dcp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yhv4qsquaygs3s/MLfilm%20strong.dcp

You have to put them into c:/users/"your username"/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Afterwards they should appear under the camera calibration tab.

oh this is cool
but can u also add some samples of your final video
and most important your color grading step by step workflow

araucaria

The final look is up to you, with this, adjusting your exposure in  ACR, and then some curve plus some lut in After Effects you can get a quick grade if that's what you are looking for.

johansugarev

Quote from: araucaria on August 14, 2013, 04:58:11 AM
Okay, there have been popping up presets for After Effects/Adobe to get flat pictures, import or render them to 10bit and apply luts or whatever. I've also read people complaining about flickering in ACR.

So far so good, I remember that on LRtimelapse (nice program) there is a general consens to not use highlight recovery, black , white, shadows,etc... because they are not linear but some "secret sauce" which depends on the scene. This doesn't matter to stills (which it was designed for) but when movement comes into play this can actually generate flicker. It does not always happen, but sometimes you get the flickering.

To avoid this, I have "created" two a camera profiles which give you a very flat picture style and some desaturation. This is just a test as I'm not an expert but I think it works fine (tried out with the 50d raw video with cdng files). I will look into it again when I have some time. Here are the camera profiles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxxj82szbimxn8f/MLfilm%20slight.dcp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yhv4qsquaygs3s/MLfilm%20strong.dcp

You have to put them into c:/users/"your username"/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Afterwards they should appear under the camera calibration tab.

Do these profiles include the 50D's noise patterns and other things ACR has specifically profiled for the camera, or are just flat profiles?

araucaria

Quote from: johansugarev on August 14, 2013, 04:24:45 PM
Do these profiles include the 50D's noise patterns and other things ACR has specifically profiled for the camera, or are just flat profiles?
Just flat.

johansugarev

Any way of creating a duplicate of the 50D profile ACR has but without the highlight/shadow voodoo that causes flickering?

johansugarev

Or is it a good idea to use the embeded 50d profile first (i work with cdng from raw magic) to denoise and sharpen, export in dng and run through camera raw again with your profile and adjust the highlight/shadow areas if needed?

Silkway

Yeah, thats why i want mister D.I.Watson to show his grading workflow.
Coz many people do many stuff, but they never do what he did...

araucaria

There is no magic key to grading, watch tutorials and learn...

Molinsky

Quote from: johansugarev on August 14, 2013, 04:55:38 PM
Or is it a good idea to use the embeded 50d profile first (i work with cdng from raw magic) to denoise and sharpen, export in dng and run through camera raw again with your profile and adjust the highlight/shadow areas if needed?

Oh, wait! I didn't know about a 50D profile. My test footages are all super-noisy. Where can I find a way to deal with it? Everyone says something different.

araucaria

You will have to tell us a little bit more about your noisy footage. Anyway, usually, to avoid noise you will try to expose (changing the shutter speed and aperture) to the maximum, and use the lowest iso you can. This will give you the best you can get in terms of noise.
If you are trying to film a concert or anything dark, get another camera.

Molinsky

Quote from: araucaria on August 14, 2013, 06:49:33 PM
You will have to tell us a little bit more about your noisy footage. Anyway, usually, to avoid noise you will try to expose (changing the shutter speed and aperture) to the maximum, and use the lowest iso you can. This will give you the best you can get in terms of noise.
If you are trying to film a concert or anything dark, get another camera.

Well, that sure answers my question. Thanks! Since I'm a day worker, all my test footages had been shot at night. And I exposed to the limit of acceptable, not to the maximum. Looks like it works like the BMCC footage.

D.L. Watson

Playing around with RAW again. This time using the insanely sharp and quite affordable nifty fifty lens.

Workflow:

RAW > ACR > Apply Flatz Preset > Render to DNxHD > Edit & Color Correct/Grade in Premiere
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

fromdecember

@DL Watson    Apology for missing it somewhere, but which 50mm lens are you using?  I have the 50mm EF 1.8 and 50mm fd 1.4

D.L. Watson

Quote from: fromdecember on August 14, 2013, 08:01:37 PM
@DL Watson    Apology for missing it somewhere, but which 50mm lens are you using?  I have the 50mm EF 1.8 and 50mm fd 1.4

The cheap $125 EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

fromdecember

Anyone have suggestions on extra batteries?  Mine dies way to fast.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: fromdecember on August 14, 2013, 11:39:16 PM
Anyone have suggestions on extra batteries?  Mine dies way to fast.

Buy some more and swap them over? Or get a battery grip and stick 2 in it.

I bought a couple of these, cheap and work fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Replacement-Digital-Camera-Battery/dp/B0015YAER4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376519234&sr=8-1&keywords=BP-511

Not sure what you're asking really, there's no magic cure for power consumption...

rockfallfilms

I just had a look at that footage from the Digital Bolex camera that some people mentioned.

Didn't like it at all, could just be the way it was shot but it looked pretty videoish to me. It just doesn't have the same filmic motion cadence that I've come to like with the 50D.

If only we could get Mosaic to make us a filter to take our moire worries away. I never heard back from them, how about anyone else?

araucaria

I doubt they will do a vaf filter for the 50D, if you think of it there might be 1000people maximum using the 50d for raw video, and most of them just to try out raw for a few $. I don't think they would sell more than 100 vaf filters.

Supermac

Quote from: araucaria on August 15, 2013, 01:44:06 AM
I doubt they will do a vaf filter for the 50D, if you think of it there might be 1000people maximum using the 50d for raw video, and most of them just to try out raw for a few $. I don't think they would sell more than 100 vaf filters.

If you get some Cellophane, smear some vaseline on it and put it over the sensor it makes a great VAF filter.

LEVISDAVIS

I've been in direct contact with Mosaic Engineering. In fact, I am sending them a 50D tomorrow so that they can fit and design the new VAF filter!!! This is going to rock!
Levi S. Davis

scrizz

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 15, 2013, 03:31:26 AM
I've been in direct contact with Mosaic Engineering. In fact, I am sending them a 50D tomorrow so that they can fit and design the new VAF filter!!! This is going to rock!

awesome!

PhilK

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 15, 2013, 03:31:26 AM

Great initiative Levis, we should contact them and express interest in buying a filter for the 50D - if there's enough interest for even a single run of them it would be great!

Here's their email address - just de-spam it. contact (then the at sign) mosaicengineering.com, I've sent my enquiry  ;D

shaminkulkarni

Hello
im new here
i have 50d on which i installed ML which is working great ,giving me h264 video but im not getting raw video option.As i searched more i came to knw that there was no modules folder in my ML Folder (on my CF card).So i copied them but still im Not getting M option in my ML option mode
Plz Plz help me

shamin

Andy600

Quote from: shaminkulkarni on August 15, 2013, 08:12:16 AM
Hello
im new here
i have 50d on which i installed ML which is working great ,giving me h264 video but im not getting raw video option.As i searched more i came to knw that there was no modules folder in my ML Folder (on my CF card).So i copied them but still im Not getting M option in my ML option mode
Plz Plz help me

shamin

Welcome Shamin :)

Go here and download the top one: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Overwrite the files on your card and keep the directory structure intact.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

[possible bug] I had a message from a user on Vimeo who has reported that he can't change aperture when 'small hacks' is enabled for raw video (latest Tragic Lantern build). Can anyone confirm this? Try to change aperture with small hacks enabled and disabled. I only have manual lenses so I can't test it myself.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com