Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkway

Quote from: ilguercio on August 12, 2013, 06:16:21 PM
Sure?

yeah
if u look image above
its 100% crop

i can blow it up print size 1 meter size and it will still be perfect looking photo

i see no point from now in full frame cameras at all...

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: igouroum on August 12, 2013, 12:15:42 PM
Here's a clip I shot yesterday afternoon. Shot with a Tamron 17-55 and the Latest (or one of the latest) Tragic Builds.
If only we weren't limited to 892p in full-sensor mode :(

Cheers!   

Great job Igouroum Wow!!! that video is awesome it really shows the potiential of the 50D.  Keep shooting and posting new video, by the way what was your workflow?

igouroum

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 12, 2013, 06:31:04 PM
Great job Igouroum Wow!!! that video is awesome it really shows the potiential of the 50D.  Keep shooting and posting new video, by the way what was your workflow?

Thanks! My workflow was very inefficient for this particular edit. ACR -> TIFF -> Final Cut X. Looking for a program to compile those TIFFs into a 422 video.. Any suggestions?
Also, I noticed ACR isn't very multicore optimised.. I'm rocking an 8-core 2006 Mac Pro, and it only seemed to use bout 50% of each core for the export even while reading and writing to an SSD, so yeah.. Kind of frustrating :P

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: igouroum on August 12, 2013, 08:21:37 PM
Thanks! My workflow was very inefficient for this particular edit. ACR -> TIFF -> Final Cut X. Looking for a program to compile those TIFFs into a 422 video.. Any suggestions?
Also, I noticed ACR isn't very multicore optimised.. I'm rocking an 8-core 2006 Mac Pro, and it only seemed to use bout 50% of each core for the export even while reading and writing to an SSD, so yeah.. Kind of frustrating :P

Yeah you can compile them using Quicktime 7 Pro.. it compiles them as ProRes 422 and it's pretty quick also.  Yeah ACR is kind of slow processing, but I'm gonna try to see if I'm getting the same thing.  By way what version of ACR are you using?

igouroum

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 12, 2013, 08:52:54 PM
Yeah you can compile them using Quicktime 7 Pro.. it compiles them as ProRes 422 and it's pretty quick also.  Yeah ACR is kind of slow processing, but I'm gonna try to see if I'm getting the same thing.  By way what version of ACR are you using?

The one that comes with Photoshop CS6.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: igouroum on August 12, 2013, 09:02:58 PM
The one that comes with Photoshop CS6.

Ok Cool.. but do check out Quicktime 7 Pro to compile your tiffs it's pretty fast..

1%

Well not to pee on the 50D but 600D+ and esp 6D (hopefully 70D, stay away from M/650D) upped the quality quite a bit. I have all these so I can compare and I've taken them out to shoot with.

The AF/exposure/etc is all faster on 6D and even 600D. ISO performance too. I also think we've caught canon in another 1/2 truth... max analog ISO for 50D is 1250 .. for 6D its 6400. Maybe ML thinking its 1600 is causing the green shadows... I know pink/green? highlight come from gain, ie. using ISO 50. Not sure if the numerical value is just a placeholder or actually used in post processing.

Full frame also really effects your lenses and DOF/FOV/etc. You don't *need* it but its nice to have.

Silkway

The thing is, I never consider canon cameras for stills.
But i was looking towards Nikon new full frame line up.
Because of it's superb low noise in high ISO.

But canons are all good this days because of magic lantern.

Only thing compact flash card must be instead of sd card.

That's why i still look for 5d mark 3 but thats not the stills photo reason at all...

I mean to say - with dual ISO on canon i dont need to buy full frame nikon for stills.

But with magic lantern on 5d mark 3 it is of course has a lots of advantages, however if just compared without magic lantern full frame solutions - now canon 50d is just as good for me and better.

p.s. canon full frame top level 1dx doesnt have magic lantern. isnt it? so good comparison with 50d and its new dual iso capability then...

Silkway

btw i have a question

there is 1080p compressed H.264 video at 30 fps on canon 50d
and there is a bitrate compression choices such as 1x,2x,3x

how does this show up in mb/sec?
is there any comparison with other DSLR videos?

or for example Panasonic GH3?

Silkway

Quote from: 1% on August 13, 2013, 01:48:33 AM
Maybe ML thinking its 1600 is causing the green shadows... I know pink/green? highlight come from gain, ie. using ISO 50. Not sure if the numerical value is just a placeholder or actually used in post processing.

oh yeah indeed!
there is a green stuff going on on canon 50d dual iso...

and i dont know if it is suitable hmm...

in some way its not so bad of course

but would be nice to see the solution...

araucaria

I will post some comparsions of 50d dual iso vs d7000,d300,d800 for you, but I will wait until it's more tested.

And honestly, the 50d is pretty bad at stills, it has a nasty filter (very soft) so it doesn't even stand up against 12mp cameras and the ISO performance is also not up to the task when compared to any modern camera (apsc,fullframe,m43,etc...).

1%

Its not THAT bad but from taking it along I am def. cock blocked by performance on fast moving shots and low light... I wouldn't want to do an event with this camera. I do notice a bit of softness too compared to the higher models. When did this thing come out tho, 5-6 years ago?

The dual feature needs testing for sure, I wouldn't jump into production with it just yet. ESP since the converter is a little bit new. I'm just happy its ported atm and somewhat functioning. Its not going to be green forever.

goldenchild9to5

@1% no matter what happens with the Dual ISO for video, the advances you have made so far are just plain awesome with Tragic 5 @Andy600 thank you as well Andy for compiling.  I don't know if it's only me, or not but I've notice a slight improvement in noise using Tragic 5, Davinci seems to handle footage better.  Got a serious video shoot coming up this month and I'm jumping all in with my beloved 50D will keep you guy's posted.  On the hunt for another 50D body  8), Let the hunting begin...

D.L. Watson

So, I'm loving the Tragic Build. Great work there guys.

Also, pulled out that cheap nifty fifty to check it's sharpness at 3x crop mode. Absolutely sharp. What a great lens! This is a still from 2K footage at 3x crop. Of course, I used my Flatz Preset to render out a DNxHD and grade in resolve. No post sharpening added. You can download that here: www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

Click the image to see in full res
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Silkway

Quote from: araucaria on August 13, 2013, 03:52:10 AM
I will post some comparsions of 50d dual iso vs d7000,d300,d800 for you, but I will wait until it's more tested.

And honestly, the 50d is pretty bad at stills, it has a nasty filter (very soft) so it doesn't even stand up against 12mp cameras and the ISO performance is also not up to the task when compared to any modern camera (apsc,fullframe,m43,etc...).

yeah i dont need to see such comparisons coz i shoot myself with d7000 and 50d on daily basis

and i know that 50d is pretty awful in low light at high iso for stills
also not very sharp but kinda soft images compared to nikon d7000 (d800 same pixel density).

but
i like the picture coming from canon 50d, i like its unique and kinda juicy fat look
compared to flat digital and tack sharp look from nikon

thats why i was considering shooting on 50d stills even on awful noisy 1600 iso

but now with dual iso i can shoot 50d and make post processing and add noise reduction to raw images
and i get that nice and fat pictures i want, but with hell less noise on high iso

it is that much good, that really there is not much difference from it and full frame camera images at the end

but only problem is this green shadow and highlights
when this is done, then pretty much it is going to be the killer of all cameras ever...

Silkway

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 13, 2013, 09:30:16 AM
So, I'm loving the Tragic Build. Great work there guys.

Also, pulled out that cheap nifty fifty to check it's sharpness at 3x crop mode. Absolutely sharp. What a great lens! This is a still from 2K footage at 3x crop. Of course, I used my Flatz Preset to render out a DNxHD and grade in resolve. No post sharpening added. You can download that here: www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

Click the image to see in full res
hey can u explane this thing? im interested
what is flatz preset? is it just to make flat unsaturared picture for color grading?
i know u apply it in adobe camera raw in after effects import of dng files
but do you need to apply it to every frame or to sequence?

and why my after effects doesnt have output formats such ad DNxHD
maybe i have to update it?

and what is it unique about da vinci and why use it?
i mean can u suggest after effects plug in alternative to work with your flatz preset

also i cant even export to prores 4444 or anything...

my adobe cs6 is kinda empty...

this is what ive got after using your preset
btw this i did on 640 by 240 resolution raw on canon 50d on iso 1600 or so...
coz i wanted to test raw video on old compact flash card from kingston
it is speed around 6 mb/sec  24fps
compared to my other card which is lexar x1000 55 mb/sec
that can record something around 1585 by 900 or more

not so bad for 6 mb/sec 24fps raw recording isnt it?

Silkway

hey people what iso you shoot raw video on canon 50d?

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 13, 2013, 01:48:33 AM
Well not to pee on the 50D but 600D+ and esp 6D (hopefully 70D, stay away from M/650D) upped the quality quite a bit. I have all these so I can compare and I've taken them out to shoot with.

The AF/exposure/etc is all faster on 6D and even 600D. ISO performance too. I also think we've caught canon in another 1/2 truth... max analog ISO for 50D is 1250 .. for 6D its 6400. Maybe ML thinking its 1600 is causing the green shadows... I know pink/green? highlight come from gain, ie. using ISO 50. Not sure if the numerical value is just a placeholder or actually used in post processing.

Full frame also really effects your lenses and DOF/FOV/etc. You don't *need* it but its nice to have.

So the 50D is actually 200 - 1250 ISO  ??? everything else is digitally amplified?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Silkway

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 01:06:23 PM
So the 50D is actually 200 - 1250 ISO  ??? everything else is digitally amplified?

to me that is just sufficient
and for most pro photographers

if ISO 1250 going to give look of ISO 200 with dual iso upgrade on canon 50d
it is just as good as what high end full frame sensors are giving
or even better than that

shooting ISO 1250 (or 1600) is okay
and if i get picture as if i shot on ISO 200

thats all i need from stills...

Andy600

Quote from: Silkway on August 13, 2013, 01:14:54 PM
to me that is just sufficient
and for most pro photographers

if ISO 1250 going to give look of ISO 200 with dual iso upgrade on canon 50d
it is just as good as what high end full frame sensors are giving
or even better than that

shooting ISO 1250 (or 1600) is okay
and if i get picture as if i shot on ISO 200

thats all i need from stills...

Good for you :) I know a lot of pros who would disagree with that. For ISO and DR, the 50D is inferior to most Rebels and certainly inferior to the newer cameras but it's still good for the money. TBH I just saw some footage from the Digital Bolex and IMO the 50D easily matches it.... probably betters it.

I highlighted the ISO range not for dual ISO but for raw video (although it will have relevance to Dual ISO too) because if this is the case it will be better to shoot within the ISO limitations of the camera and increase/decrease exposure etc in post. It's all about getting the best SNR and DR from the sensor no matter what it's specific limitations are. Digitally amplifying ISO in-camera can be inferior to doing it in an image editing app AFIK.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Silkway

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 01:26:27 PM
Good for you :) I know a lot of pros who would disagree with that. For ISO and DR, the 50D is inferior to most Rebels and certainly inferior to the newer cameras but it's still good for the money. TBH I just saw some footage from the Digital Bolex and IMO the 50D easily matches it.... probably betters it.

I highlighted the ISO range not for dual ISO but for raw video (although it will have relevance to Dual ISO too) because if this is the case it will be better to shoot within the ISO limitations of the camera and increase/decrease exposure etc in post. It's all about getting the best SNR and DR from the sensor no matter what it's specific limitations are. Digitally amplifying ISO in-camera can be inferior to doing it in an image editing app AFIK.

yeah but woops...

i shot this in dual iso 200-800 ("within limitations")
and still green cast is there...

and yeah this is 100% crop of the raw file processed in dual iso with noise reduction applied

i dont know why, but i just like the way it looks.
all the rebels and even canon full frame cameras such as 5d mark 3 doesnt give this look...
this is fat juicy look from 1dx, 1dc cameras... and kinda shadow blur. canon 50d stills looks warm and professional to me

P.S. sorry for dual post - i hate it too. i accidently did it coz click "quote" instead of "modify" and couln't delete so just modified it.

Andy600

@Silkway - The green cast is there probably for the reasons 1% described earlier. Dual ISO on the 50D is a 'work in progress'.

For raw video, the 50D certainly does have a 'look' to it. I like it. I love the 5d3's raw video and the 7D is looking like it could be great too.

Silkway

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 01:37:22 PM
@Silkway - The green cast is there probably for the reasons 1% described earlier. Dual ISO on the 50D is a 'work in progress'.

For raw video, the 50D certainly does have a 'look' to it. I like it. I love the 5d3's raw video and the 7D is looking like it could be great too.

Yeah it has a look in stills as well. A different thing probably, but also unique and fancy.

Yeah i thought 1% said that the reason of green cast is going beyond limits of actual ISO ability of canon 50d.
If thats not the case, looking forward to know what is the reason...