50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

I don't think it damages anything.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on August 12, 2013, 05:07:43 AM
I don't think it damages anything.

You right haven't heard of any Mark III's being messed up with Dual ISO's.  The literature about Dual ISO is pretty long, still trying to figure my way around it.  When I figure it out I'm going to do a Walk through video, or tutorial about the Dual ISO.  Thank you once again 1% for all your hard work, Woah still excited  8)

jgerstel

Hi is there any Mac version of cr2hdr?

I tried myself with no luck....

studios-mac-pro:dual_iso studio$ gcc cr2hdr.c
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "_save_dng", referenced from:
      _main in ccsnxKis.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
studios-mac-pro:dual_iso studio$ gcc -m32 cr2hdr.c
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "_save_dng", referenced from:
      _main in ccyoodbS.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Supermac

Quote from: 1% on August 12, 2013, 04:28:01 AM
The FOV will be different but the image is still at 12mm f/4, you are just taking a portion of it. So if something was out of focus it remains so, etc.

I was wondering when the Fov/Dof argument over crop mode would pop up. Reducing the sensor size reduces field of view. When you reduce the field of view you have to move away from the subject or use a wider lens to get the same frame. Depth of field is directly related to both focal length and distance from the subject. Less focal length =  more depth of field. More distance between camera and subject = more depth of field. In fact there will be quite a bit more depth of field on crop mode for any given f number. f numbers shouldn't be compared over different formats though as they are only part of the bigger depth of field equation and it gets confusing.

Saying that, it doesn't mean to say we still can't get shallow though. Andy's frame show's just how good crop mode is and getting shallower for that shot wouldn't do anything for the background really. In fact it opens new lens choices for me, I'm quite excited about using wider lenses on anamorphic which would normally vignette like crazy, 35mm Flektogon for example. I'll post some results when I shoot them.

Crop mode is a great option but I think it's a bit unfair calling it crop. It's more like a change of sensor size to a different format. Should call it 2/3 mode or something. 

I hope that wasn't patronizing. Arkanoid's great by the way but I think it ate all my battery power! Looking forward to testing dual iso! :D

Cheers

D.L. Watson

So, Duel ISO is only for photography. It's not a video thing at the moment?
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 12, 2013, 07:18:36 AM
So, Duel ISO is only for photography. It's not a video thing at the moment?

Not video at the moment. There are some problems in LV where dual iso is not applicable, at least for the moment. 1% is working hard on this. Perhaps it's due to the lack of ADTG registers. I offered help on the dual iso thread, we will see!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Rawolution

Hi,

as Ultra fast CF cards are extremely expensive, I bought CF reader for Android devices which looks like this:

http://dx.com/p/6-in-1-otg-card-reader-for-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-p7510-p7500-p7300-p7310-106442

Yes, you can move data directly to smartphone, but this way you save the batteries of 50D because transfering 30GB od data to microSD takes a lot of time.

The problem is there are no tools for playing RAW videos for Android yet afaik.

Anyone got idea how to play/preview RAW videos on Android just like we can with ML plugin in the camera?

igouroum

Here's a clip I shot yesterday afternoon. Shot with a Tamron 17-55 and the Latest (or one of the latest) Tragic Builds.
If only we weren't limited to 892p in full-sensor mode :(

Cheers!   

Rawolution

Quote from: igouroum on August 12, 2013, 12:15:42 PM
Here's a clip I shot yesterday afternoon. Shot with a Tamron 17-55 and the Latest (or one of the latest) Tragic Builds.
If only we weren't limited to 892p in full-sensor mode :(

Cheers!   

nice.

you are not afraid to damage the sensor with direct sunlight?

igouroum

Quote from: Rawolution on August 12, 2013, 12:36:15 PM
nice.

you are not afraid to damage the sensor with direct sunlight?

Not the slightest no :) I just make sure the sensor doesn't get flooded for extended periods of time, and that's about it ;)

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on August 12, 2013, 02:07:35 AM
Mr 1% has done it again! We now have Dual ISO on the 50D  8) \o/ (Tragic Lantern only ATM)

Grab the latest Tragic Lantern build here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Dual ISO only works in photo mode on the 50D so don't shoot in Live View.

Read a1ex's thread for how to use: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg59687#msg59687

You will need the conversion programs which are downloadable via a link in the first post of a1ex's thread. READ AT LEAST THE FIRST POST!!

Don't ask questions about it here. Follow the other thread and READ IT!

All thanks to 1% for the 50D port and a1ex, g3gg0 for this great feature.

p.s. also check whats under the star icon in the menu  ;D

Great news! thanks to 1% & all the devs.

Looking forward to trying this out.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on August 11, 2013, 08:54:23 PM
Yeah, it can be a bit intimidating to post there but it seems like only a few of the users who are a bit obnoxious.

It looks like most shooters with that lens tend to go for a Helios 44:2 because of the flare and I have seen it paired with 35mm lenses on nex5's but you're probably best sticking to a 50mm. I personally wouldn't go the Helios route. It's hard to find a sharp V2 and there are plenty of decent, faster and cheap 50mm lenses out there that can flare. I have a 1974 Nikon F2 that would be ideal and it's sharp wide open.

I'm looking for my first anamorphic lens so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Moller looks like with raw on the 50D.

Thanks for that, I tried it with my Nikon 50mm AFD it it vignetted. Admittedly I was holding the anamorphic in front of the lens so not the most ideal test! I assume that if it vignettes on one 50mm it's going to do so on them all?

I've read a lot about the Helios 44m but like you said, opinions seem to vary. They sell for around £20 on ebay so I guess it might be worth a go to see what kind of copy I get.

Quote from: Supermac on August 11, 2013, 09:46:54 PM
Hi there,

Those old Moller lenses are very tricky to use and not very good really, also very difficult to sell too. Nobody wants them. I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for a small sum? :)

Ha ha, seriously, 50mm-85mm is the best range for a 2x 16mm Anamorphic on a crop sensor. Any less vignettes, any more you start to lose focus. Personally I'd say 50mm maybe a little wide especially with a 39mm rear thread. Helios is popular as 58mm is optimal focal length and has minimal vignetting. They can be pretty sharp but also "characterful". 55mm Takumar is not bad if you can find a sharp one but still vignettes, especially if you have to stop down. Clamp is really important too, you want to be as close to the taking lens as possible. Hope this helps, would love to see the results.

Cheers

Haha, yeah ok how's £5?! I need to fashion up some sort of clamp!

Molinsky

Quote from: johansugarev on August 11, 2013, 05:13:53 PM
You also have to interpret the footage as 24fps in you NLE.

Thanks too, I was getting confused about the fps in my NLE.

1%

It probably won't work for video, there is one register and changeling it doesn't do anything. Either other regs aren't being recorded in the log or it only uses the one and is a lost cause here.

Silkway

that is cool thing indeed!

but im facing trouble of post processing this dual iso files

it just doesnt work

modified

ah no it works fine! it just doesnt pick up underexposed pictures.

Silkway

Quote from: 1% on August 12, 2013, 03:28:25 PM
It probably won't work for video, there is one register and changeling it doesn't do anything. Either other regs aren't being recorded in the log or it only uses the one and is a lost cause here.

oh yeah?

but there is HDR feauture in magic lantern

what is difference between dual iso and expo bracketing raw video shooting?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Silkway on August 12, 2013, 05:22:55 PM
oh yeah?

but there is HDR feauture in magic lantern

what is difference between dual iso and expo bracketing raw video shooting?

With dual iso you can record with no motion problems, while in hdr video you have to pan slowly and record slow moving subjects, or you must record twice the fps speed you need (for example you must record 60fps if you want normal motion recording tolerance) otherwise strange ghost effects arise. On 50D you cannot do 60fps, so only on 550D you can (intended for a camera in the same price range). On the other hand, with dual iso movies, there is a lot of aliasing... very bad... so with some subjects it is almost unusable... surely this mode is not good at all for production purposes

Silkway

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 12, 2013, 05:34:08 PM
With dual iso you can record with no motion problems, while in hdr video you have to pan slowly and record slow moving subjects, or you must record twice the fps speed you need (for example you must record 60fps if you want normal motion recording tolerance) otherwise strange ghost effects arise. On 50D you cannot do 60fps, so only on 550D you can (intended for a camera in the same price range). On the other hand, with dual iso movies, there is a lot of aliasing... very bad... so with some subjects it is almost unusable... surely this mode is not good at all for production purposes

so u mean it really cuts down the fps in hdr mode?
yeah seems like 15 fps max if shot on 30 fps

not much for normal video stream.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Silkway on August 12, 2013, 05:44:11 PM
so u mean it really cuts down the fps in hdr mode?
yeah seems like 15 fps max if shot on 30 fps

not much for normal video stream.

no, simply with 60fps you can record subjects that moves more fast with no ghosting effects, while at 30fps you can record moving subjects that moves half the speed than at 60fps. otherwise ghosting effects appears

Andy600

Dual ISO on the 50D will not work in video mode!  Use it for stills only.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Silkway

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 12, 2013, 05:48:31 PM
no, simply with 60fps you can record subjects that moves more fast with no ghosting effects, while at 30fps you can record moving subjects that moves half the speed than at 60fps. otherwise ghosting effects appears

ah you mean there is exposure ghosting effect?

oh that is not a problem to me)

im happy with hdr video then, even without dual iso

but i like dual iso for stills

because shooting hdr bracketing photos is impossible
that is where real ghosting comes up)

Silkway

this dual iso for canon 50d is amazing!

check this out
a picture shot by me on 6400 iso 100% crop with dual iso from 100 iso

really?

Silkway

i wanted to buy a full frame camera for stills
because i like the low noise on high iso and high shutter speed

but now with this update for canon 50d from tragic lantern
it is just works like canon 1dx top level class full frame camera!

Supermac

No dual iso for video :( oh well, how about that anamorphic preview though, really cool. Any chance of a 1.8 option, a lot of the common 2x anamorphics squeeze at around 1.8.

Cheers

ilguercio

Quote from: Silkway on August 12, 2013, 06:07:40 PM
i wanted to buy a full frame camera for stills
because i like the low noise on high iso and high shutter speed

but now with this update for canon 50d from tragic lantern
it is just works like canon 1dx top level class full frame camera!
Sure?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.