50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

I have it set to Canon preview. The ML one is too slow for me.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 11, 2013, 05:42:07 PM
A question for anamorphic shooters:

I've got one of these lenses, which I haven't used for years. I was going to sell it but figured I might as well try it with the 50D as a way to get more resolution.

Does anybody know what is the widest taking lens I could pair it with? It's got a 39mm rear thread if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

Nice. I'm jealous  >:(

I think you can't go much wider than 50mm but it's probably best to ask on the eoshd forum
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on August 11, 2013, 05:51:03 PM
Nice. I'm jealous  >:(

I think you can't go much wider than 50mm but it's probably best to ask on the eoshd forum

Yeah it's a pretty good copy of the lens too. I found it in a drawer a couple of months ago, forgot I even had it!

I don't find it that friendly over on eoshd, lots of infighting. :) Also if you ask a question you are just told to buy Andrew's buyers guide. I have a 50mm Nikon here so I'll see how it looks on that.

1%

I guess the canon preview black is too crushed then. Not sure which reg brings down the shadows.

Silkway

Quote from: johansugarev on August 11, 2013, 05:13:53 PM
Enable FPS override and push the FUNC button. A menu will popup where you can select your desired fps. Anything below 30 works like a charm. You also have to interpret the footage as 24fps in you NLE.
BTW, what mode of FPS override do you guys choose with RAW? I leave it with low light.

Oh yeah! That worked! Thanks a lot!
Function button... I would never think about it is active in menu)
However i had to change aspect ratio to achieve the continuous shooting to narrower.
For some reason the speed of Lexar x1000 is not fast enough? Just 55 mb/sec Or this is okay?

P.S. Thanks for you guys who made this awesome options! Magic Lantern team and Andy600 build.

Which card do you guys use?

And how does the external recorder such as Atomos Ninja 2 work with Canon 50d?
What is the output format? Is it still RAW or going to be uncompressed ProRes?

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 06:32:54 PM
I guess the canon preview black is too crushed then. Not sure which reg brings down the shadows.

I think it has something to do with 'get_halfshutter_pressed'? I wouldn't know where to look though

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on August 11, 2013, 06:14:06 PM
Yeah it's a pretty good copy of the lens too. I found it in a drawer a couple of months ago, forgot I even had it!

I don't find it that friendly over on eoshd, lots of infighting. :) Also if you ask a question you are just told to buy Andrew's buyers guide. I have a 50mm Nikon here so I'll see how it looks on that.

Yeah, it can be a bit intimidating to post there but it seems like only a few of the users who are a bit obnoxious.

It looks like most shooters with that lens tend to go for a Helios 44:2 because of the flare and I have seen it paired with 35mm lenses on nex5's but you're probably best sticking to a 50mm. I personally wouldn't go the Helios route. It's hard to find a sharp V2 and there are plenty of decent, faster and cheap 50mm lenses out there that can flare. I have a 1974 Nikon F2 that would be ideal and it's sharp wide open.

I'm looking for my first anamorphic lens so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Moller looks like with raw on the 50D.

1%

QuoteI think it has something to do with 'get_halfshutter_pressed'? I wouldn't know where to look though

He sets 3 regs, one is 0, one is FFFFFF and another one is some binary looking value like 01010101.

Real ML raw preview I think happens on 1/2 shutter.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 09:04:07 PM
He sets 3 regs, one is 0, one is FFFFFF and another one is some binary looking value like 01010101.

Real ML raw preview I think happens on 1/2 shutter.

Just a thought but could the previews (especially hacked) and display filters make use of ADTG?

Silkway

also i have question

in crop mode the resolution is dropping down or what?
or it is the lens problems start to appear?

coz i experience like
sharpness and noise grain is smaller in non crop mode

how come the resolution goes up to 2000 in crop mode if it actually kills the image?

Supermac

I've got one of these lenses, which I haven't used for years. I was going to sell it but figured I might as well try it with the 50D as a way to get more resolution.

Does anybody know what is the widest taking lens I could pair it with? It's got a 39mm rear thread if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

Hi there,

Those old Moller lenses are very tricky to use and not very good really, also very difficult to sell too. Nobody wants them. I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for a small sum? :)

Ha ha, seriously, 50mm-85mm is the best range for a 2x 16mm Anamorphic on a crop sensor. Any less vignettes, any more you start to lose focus. Personally I'd say 50mm maybe a little wide especially with a 39mm rear thread. Helios is popular as 58mm is optimal focal length and has minimal vignetting. They can be pretty sharp but also "characterful". 55mm Takumar is not bad if you can find a sharp one but still vignettes, especially if you have to stop down. Clamp is really important too, you want to be as close to the taking lens as possible. Hope this helps, would love to see the results.

Cheers

dogmydog

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 11, 2013, 04:53:48 PM
That's a very nice shot..

I know it is a bit off-topic, but since I'm a 50D Raw Video Shooter, here it comes:

I usually my RAW2DNG DNG's as a sequence to AE CC and grade them in ACR at the time of import. Sometimes, the light changes during the my shot, in the same video clip. So the beginning is ok, but in the rest I would have to push its exposure (for example) up a bit.

My question is: after imported into AE, is it possible to return to ACR controls to grade a specific part of my clip? As many times as I need? Or I can only grade it on the import, and then all I have to work with is the Color Controls of AE itself? Does Resolve allow me to do it? What is the best time to color grading my clips, using ACR?

Also, if I color correct the video color inside AE, do I lose data or is it the same as grading DNGs in ACR?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I didn't know where to put these questions...
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

rommex

Quote from: dogmydog on August 11, 2013, 10:23:10 PM
I know it is a bit off-topic, but since I'm a 50D Raw Video Shooter, here it comes:

I usually my RAW2DNG DNG's as a sequence to AE CC and grade them in ACR at the time of import. Sometimes, the light changes during the my shot, in the same video clip. So the beginning is ok, but in the rest I would have to push its exposure (for example) up a bit.

My question is: after imported into AE, is it possible to return to ACR controls to grade a specific part of my clip? As many times as I need? Or I can only grade it on the import, and then all I have to work with is the Color Controls of AE itself? Does Resolve allow me to do it? What is the best time to color grading my clips, using ACR?

Also, if I color correct the video color inside AE, do I lose data or is it the same as grading DNGs in ACR?

1. I would suggest importing two copies/clones of the same clip with different expo corrections. And then use two different parts from these clones.

2. You don't lose your data of course. The .DNGs stay intact.

rommex

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 06, 2013, 05:12:31 PM
....And no, it's not trying to squeeze wide dynamic range it into a 8-bit (unless that is what you are rendering your files to). I recommend using a DNxHD 4.4.4. 10bit which is 20 times better than what any camera can provide internally.

Obviously, working straight with DNG's will be better, and there is no denying that. But like I've said in the beginning, this is especially for people who want to save space on hard drives and speed up their workflow.

I see your point and I stand corrected in a way )) Please let me know if this DNxHD codec is available free or paid? Thanks

arrinkiiii

Quote from: dogmydog on August 11, 2013, 10:23:10 PM

Yes you can  :D   Just go to -interpret footage- and then the sub-menu and then hit the -options- button and will open again ACR.

50Deezil

Cheers!

The only way you're going to know is to slap it on a few lenses and see.  My guess is probably from 40 to 50mm, but i'd try a 35mm just to see.

Andy600

1% you sir are a genius!!!!  8)

Just seen the new addition and gonna compile. It will surprise a few 50D users I'm sure.

Supermac

Quote from: Andy600 on August 12, 2013, 01:05:56 AM
1% you sir are a genius!!!!  8)

Just seen the new addition and gonna compile. It will surprise a few 50D users I'm sure.

Sounds rather exciting....

Andy600

Mr 1% has done it again! We now have Dual ISO on the 50D  8) \o/ (Tragic Lantern only ATM)

Grab the latest Tragic Lantern build here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Dual ISO only works in photo mode on the 50D so don't shoot in Live View.

Read a1ex's thread for how to use: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg59687#msg59687

You will need the conversion programs which are downloadable via a link in the first post of a1ex's thread. READ AT LEAST THE FIRST POST!!

Don't ask questions about it here. Follow the other thread and READ IT!

All thanks to 1% for the 50D port and a1ex, g3gg0 for this great feature.

p.s. also check whats under the star icon in the menu  ;D

dogmydog

Quote from: rommex on August 11, 2013, 11:27:50 PM
1. I would suggest importing two copies/clones of the same clip with different expo corrections. And then use two different parts from these clones.

2. You don't lose your data of course. The .DNGs stay intact.

Ty Rommex, that helps a lot :D
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dogmydog

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 11, 2013, 11:42:51 PM
Yes you can  :D   Just go to -interpret footage- and then the sub-menu and then hit the -options- button and will open again ACR.

But does that give me ACR on that specific frame I'm trying to correct or on the first DNG of the sequence?
Thx for the help , arrinkiiii!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on August 11, 2013, 05:16:37 PM
The shot I posted above is 3x crop ISO800 at F4 - is that not shallow? I could shoot the same thing again in non-crop and the DOF will be no different. I think the crop vs non-crop argument is more relevant to print resolution. Afterall, there is only a certain amount of pixels on a screen/monitor. Crop mode removes the aliasing/moire problems. Shallower DOF helps with those issues for non-crop modes.
Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
There is real "crop mode" where DOF is screwed up (EOS-M/600D/650D) and the 5X zoom mode where its just less pixel skipping so DOF is the same, you're just shooting through the middle (hopefully) of the lens. Actually it should be better quality since you're using the center and can cut off vignettes/edge distortion/etc.
I've come across this and I don't quite understand it,in general terms, dof depends on focal length and aperture. So if you shoot a 12mm at f4 on 3x crop you will get an fov equivalent 57,6 but the dof will be the same as on the 12mm @ f4 but not the same as a 58mm @ f4 on the full sensor, if I remember it right it would be more like a 58mm @ f12. I don't know what lens you are shooting with (andy) but if there is a shallow depth of field in the shot it's because you are very close to the subject in relation to the background.

So actually it "screwes up" the dof. I would also know how this mode is not a real crop compared to what ever distinct mode there is on the 600d,etc... Just curios ^^.

Regarding anamorphics, I just got a sankor 16c on ebay for 150€ (I know, its not the best deal but it's getting harder to get a decent deal, the sankor still is somehow accesible).
I'm looking for a decent taking lens, I asked on eoshd but..., so I'd like to know if anybody has some experience. I think 58mm 44-2 should be right but if anybody has a better idea I'm starving for suggestions!

Supermac

Quote from: araucaria on August 12, 2013, 04:02:26 AM
I've come across this and I don't quite understand it,in general terms, dof depends on focal length and aperture. So if you shoot a 12mm at f4 on 3x crop you will get an fov equivalent 57,6 but the dof will be the same as on the 12mm @ f4 but not the same as a 58mm @ f4 on the full sensor, if I remember it right it would be more like a 58mm @ f12. I don't know what lens you are shooting with (andy) but if there is a shallow depth of field in the shot it's because you are very close to the subject in relation to the background.

So actually it "screwes up" the dof. I would also know how this mode is not a real crop compared to what ever distinct mode there is on the 600d,etc... Just curios ^^.

Regarding anamorphics, I just got a sankor 16c on ebay for 150€ (I know, its not the best deal but it's getting harder to get a decent deal, the sankor still is somehow accesible).
I'm looking for a decent taking lens, I asked on eoshd but..., so I'd like to know if anybody has some experience. I think 58mm 44-2 should be right but if anybody has a better idea I'm starving for suggestions!

Not a bad deal, they're only going to go up in value! 16c has a 42ishmm rear thread, redstan makes a custom clamp for it which is well worth the money. Regarding taking lens, see my last post. Just as relevant to Sankor 16c.

Cheers

1%

QuoteSo if you shoot a 12mm at f4 on 3x crop

The FOV will be different but the image is still at 12mm f/4, you are just taking a portion of it. So if something was out of focus it remains so, etc.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on August 12, 2013, 02:07:35 AM
Mr 1% has done it again! We now have Dual ISO on the 50D  8) \o/ (Tragic Lantern only ATM)

Grab the latest Tragic Lantern build here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Dual ISO only works in photo mode on the 50D so don't shoot in Live View.

Read a1ex's thread for how to use: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg59687#msg59687

You will need the conversion programs which are downloadable via a link in the first post of a1ex's thread. READ AT LEAST THE FIRST POST!!

Don't ask questions about it here. Follow the other thread and READ IT!

All thanks to 1% for the 50D port and a1ex, g3gg0 for this great feature.

p.s. also check whats under the star icon in the menu  ;D

Wow!!! Wow!!! That's awesome @1% @Andy600 great job I can't wait to try.. Do you think it might be damaging to the sensor, or all is good?  I'm so excited right about now 50D just got a new lease in shooting Raw  ;D