50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: oc_masta on August 10, 2013, 04:58:04 PM
Thank you for the reply Andy600 and Rockfallfilms.
Would I be correct in thinking the 50d with the latest tragic lantern can do 1920x1080 for at least 1 minute of recording?

Yes, with a fast CF card but full HD is only possible in crop mode so it's 3x crop in addition to APS-C's 1.6x
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

crash-film

here´s another video....all is shot on the 50D, mostly with 10 to 12 fps.
still better, than just lamp posts ;-)

i tried, to bring a narrative component to good old timelapse. enjoy:

riccardocovino

Quote from: crash-film on August 10, 2013, 06:14:15 PM
here´s another video....all is shot on the 50D, mostly with 10 to 12 fps.
still better, than just lamp posts ;-)

i tried, to bring a narrative component to good old timelapse. enjoy:

Really nice!
I love the 3D mix and the wise use of mirroring plane.
Great architectural shots too!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

akumiszcza

Quote from: Andy600 on August 10, 2013, 10:20:15 AM
Latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 build is up: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Includes @Pravdomil's new Auto Exposure module (photo mode only), Crazy Colors which helps setting WB, Raw spot meter and a bunch of tweaks and fixes.

Auto Exposure is great! I can't find what "Crazy Colors" is though. I've searched through commits on bitbucket and browsed options in camera, but couldn't find it

caseyinhd

Here's a 1080p shot using the newest Tragic Lantern.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: caseyinhd on August 11, 2013, 05:53:39 AM

Great Job Casey... Like the colors, the smooth motion pan, and image is just right not too sharp and not too soft.  What Was your workflow like?  AE, Davinci, or Photoshop / Lightroom?  Finally what lens did you use?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on August 10, 2013, 10:20:15 AM
Latest Tragic Lantern 2.0 build is up: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Includes @Pravdomil's new Auto Exposure module (photo mode only), Crazy Colors which helps setting WB, Raw spot meter and a bunch of tweaks and fixes.

1% has also added code for the Dual ISO module :o but it's not working (yet) so I haven't included it in this build.

I would seriously recommend using Tragic Lantern on the 50D as it has much better shutter control in video mode.

As ever, this is developed for the 50D by 1% and includes all the latest Unified updates and fixes from a1ex, g3ggo and co. So thank them, not me ;)

Andy what do you mean by "Crazy Colors which helps setting WB"?  Does it mean that the color science has been improved, or just pulling out more colors and better colors from the sensor?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: caseyinhd on August 11, 2013, 05:53:39 AM

It's my good friend Casey. Welcome to the forums!

Great video! Was this true 1080p (5x crop) or did you shoot at 1280 and upscale?
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 11, 2013, 06:13:17 AM
Andy what do you mean by "Crazy Colors which helps setting WB"?  Does it mean that the color science has been improved, or just pulling out more colors and better colors from the sensor?

As I understand it Crazy colors will let you see when your WB has too much magenta or green as it amplifies it. You use it by changing your K levels until the magenta and green colors are minimized or removed. I haven't used it and not sure I will TBH but it's another method of setting correct WB.

The colors are only shown in previews, not in the recording.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on August 11, 2013, 10:17:33 AM
As I understand it Crazy colors will let you see when your WB has too much magenta or green as it amplifies it. You use it by changing your K levels until the magenta and green colors are minimized or removed. I haven't used it and not sure I will TBH but it's another method of setting correct WB.

The colors are only shown in previews, not in the recording.

So it works when you are in LiveView mode while shooting, or when you are processing your DNG's.  Is that an option you turn on from the ML menu?

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on August 11, 2013, 03:59:24 PM
So it works when you are in LiveView mode while shooting, or when you are processing your DNG's.  Is that an option you turn on from the ML menu?

It's for setting WB. Preview only so switch on/off when or if you need it.

Andy600

Does anyone else think the grayscale preview (50D crop) is a bit too crushed?

I just shot some fairly well-exposed close-ups of facial features and could hardly make out any detail in the all the blackness, especially when a face covers the whole frame. It makes focusing a nightmare in what would ordinarily be an easy situation. I think the contrast needs reducing quite a bit or the shadows need raising if possible. What do you think?

1%

I only trust it as far as framing and use the histogram. I just focus in normal preview or 10x.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 04:31:05 PM
I only trust it as far as framing and use the histogram. I just focus in normal preview or 10x.

I do too usually but I'm working with very shallow DOF so I have to pull focus. It's guesswork because the preview is totally crushed.

I'm shooting something like this:-

but the grayscale preview looks like this

Which makes it difficult to track focus on the eyes especially when she turns to face the camera. Even if I shoot deeper DOF it's the same problem.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on August 11, 2013, 04:39:14 PM
I do too usually but I'm working with very shallow DOF so I have to pull focus. It's guesswork because the preview is totally crushed.

I'm shooting something like this:-

but the grayscale preview looks like this

Which makes it difficult to track focus on the eyes especially when she turns to face the camera. Even if I shoot deeper DOF it's the same problem.

That's a very nice shot..

Silkway

hey dudes
help me please

i got canon 50d and lexar x1000 16gb card

i try to record raw video it gives 30 fps

i try to FPS override and i get 2 fps

whats wrong?

i need 24 fps anyone know how to get 24 fps?

or which card should i use on canon 50d?
or should i format lexar x1000 in some way to get 24 fps?

pulsar124

What I find very frustrating when it comes to RAW video recording on 50D is the lack of information from ML developers about the most basic things - where to start, how does it work, which camera settings to use. I am good in photography, but novice in DSLR video, and I've been struggling for some time to get some answers here. It is probably here, spread in small bits across 109 pages of this massive thread, which makes it essentially unusable.

Anyway, I did some googling, and here is the number one place to visit if you are new to 50D RAW video:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10770/canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-review

This is a great review, aimed at novices like myself. For the first time I figured out what are differences, advantages and drawbacks for the full sensor and crop video recording. Now I know that the actual full sensor video resolution of 50D is 1584 x 1058 pixels, and it has some serious artifacts because of the way Canon does it. From reading other web resources I know now that how exactly DLR sensor is used for 1080p video recording is is not known - it is a "black box", fully hidden inside Canon firmware, or perhaps even done on hardware level. People can only speculate, based on actual video resolution measured from video, and amount of aliasing and moire artifacts. It looks like the best possible approach - binning sensor pixels into super-pixels for video - is not possible because of the limited bandwidth from the sensor. People speculate that some combination of binning and line skipping takes place, to reduce the bandwidth. This is really bad from a photographer's perspective - with huge DSLR sensors you'd expect to gain a lot in terms of light sensitivity (compared to consumer camcorders), but if you only do skipping, you don't gain anything - DSLR pixels are probably as small (or even smaller) than camcorder pixels.

People seem to be obsessed with crop video shooting, with the idea that the image quality should be much better, but as a photographer I can tell you that even the most expensive lenses (like my 135L) don't shine when viewed as 100% crops, especially wide open (and that's how I always use them - for DoF control). In other words, image quality is not great in crop video mode because of the lens limitations. One has to stop lenses down a lot to beat that. The second big negative coming from the crop mode is that you give up on DoF control (if you ask me, the main reason one should do DSLR video, and not consumer camcorder video) - because of the stopping down, and because of the fact that you are effectively working with a tiny size sensor (probably same size as camcorder sensor).

I wish this info, and more (like, details on shutter, aperture and ISO control when shooting raw video) where available somewhere as a single post, for novices. Then your great product would be appreciated even more.

johansugarev

Quote from: Silkway on August 11, 2013, 04:55:05 PM
hey dudes
help me please

i got canon 50d and lexar x1000 16gb card

i try to record raw video it gives 30 fps

i try to FPS override and i get 2 fps

whats wrong?

i need 24 fps anyone know how to get 24 fps?

or which card should i use on canon 50d?
or should i format lexar x1000 in some way to get 24 fps?
Enable FPS override and push the FUNC button. A menu will popup where you can select your desired fps. Anything below 30 works like a charm. You also have to interpret the footage as 24fps in you NLE.
BTW, what mode of FPS override do you guys choose with RAW? I leave it with low light.

Andy600

@Pulsar124 - that would be an awfully long post.

1 - ETTR.
2 - ISO - If your shot needs it you can increase ISO up to 1600. Noise looks good but can be removed. Any higher and it's hit or miss.
3 - shutter speed and aperture - same applies as for any film/video

The shot I posted above is 3x crop ISO800 at F4 - is that not shallow? I could shoot the same thing again in non-crop and the DOF will be no different. I think the crop vs non-crop argument is more relevant to print resolution. Afterall, there is only a certain amount of pixels on a screen/monitor. Crop mode removes the aliasing/moire problems. Shallower DOF helps with those issues for non-crop modes.

4 - You are right that there needs to be more info. I've been writing a guide covering the 50D, ML and Tragic Lantern, raw video etc but if you cant wait get the EOSHD one.

5 - We are all novices when it comes to raw video on the Canons'. Raw video has only been part of Magic Lantern for 2-3 months. We're all still learning. I learned everything I know from practice and from reading posts and notes in the ML source code.

Gekko

Quote from: pulsar124 on August 11, 2013, 04:57:40 PM
What I find very frustrating when it comes to RAW video recording on 50D is the lack of information from ML developers about the most basic things - where to start, how does it work, which camera settings to use.

It can be frustrating when jumping into technical details, i agree. But there is a really good strating point for basic explanation of functionality on this site: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide
It helped me a lot.
:)

1%

That is a big difference on the preview, like the black is crushed. I haven't even looked how it does the playback/preview wonder if it does the black level different.

There is real "crop mode" where DOF is screwed up (EOS-M/600D/650D) and the 5X zoom mode where its just less pixel skipping so DOF is the same, you're just shooting through the middle (hopefully) of the lens. Actually it should be better quality since you're using the center and can cut off vignettes/edge distortion/etc.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
...That is a big difference on the preview, like the black is crushed. I haven't even looked how it does the playback/preview wonder if it does the black level different.

The playback contrast is much better so if you could match that for grayscale preview or maybe even have a lower contrast it would be much more useable in tough lighting conditions. I know the grayscale contrast is a workaround to combat the pink screen/half shutter problem and a1ex wrote in the commit that he 'dropped the shadow level' so maybe it just needs pulling up?

I don't know what the hex value in raw_rec is for exactly or I'd try to change it myself.

I think it's line 1144 - 1146 in raw_rec that sets the grayscale and contrast?

Andy600

1%

For the grayscale preview he does it with digic registers so thats not a raw preview, just regular YUV in grayscale. There is also the 1/2 shutter ML grayscale from display filters, which one is this?

rockfallfilms

A question for anamorphic shooters:

I've got one of these lenses, which I haven't used for years. I was going to sell it but figured I might as well try it with the 50D as a way to get more resolution.

Does anybody know what is the widest taking lens I could pair it with? It's got a 39mm rear thread if that makes a difference.

Cheers!