50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gekko

Quote from: Andy600 on August 04, 2013, 10:31:11 AM
Latest builds for the 50D

Magic - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads
Tragic - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Andy, could you please explain the difference between Magic & Tragic?
Thanks alot!
:)

rommex

Quote from: Gekko on August 04, 2013, 10:42:43 PM
Thanks alot!

Andy has explained the difference 3 or 4 times by now. Why don't you look up his earlier posts?

Andy600

Quote from: Gekko on August 04, 2013, 10:42:43 PM
Thanks alot!

One begins with the letter 'M' and the other with 'Tr'  ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dogmydog

Quote from: pulsar124 on August 03, 2013, 04:31:34 PM
I remember some time ago someone posted a link to a guide/tutorial for RAW video on 50D, but I can't find it. Could anyone please repost it? It should probably go to the first post on this thread - it became so long, that for someone in my situation (about to start using 50D for RAW video) it will appear overwhelming.

Thanks!

Is this one it?
Got it from: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3059-canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-review/
"So far, a how-to would be:

Format your CF card in the camera, take it out and put it into the card reader of your computer
Download the current stable, unified 2.3.5 MagicLantern release from http://www.magiclantern.fm/download
Download the most current development snapshot for 50D raw video recording either from https://bitbucket.or...tern/downloads/ (Gregory's 50D Magic Lantern tree) or from https://bitbucket.or...tl50d/downloads (1%'s TragicLantern tree)
Create a folder for the Magic Lantern files on your computer
Unzip the downloaded archive of the stable Magic Lantern release into that folder - and trash the file "autoexec.bin" + the folder "ML"
Unzip the 50D development snapshot into that same folder - after which "autoexec.bin" and the "ML" should be visible again.
In this folder, you should now see a number of files ending with ".fir", the manuals "INSTALL.pdf" and "Userguide.PDF", "autoexec.bin" and the folder "ML".
Copy "autoexec.bin", "ML" and "50D-109.fir" onto your CF card (that still rests in the card reader of your computer).
Cleanly unmount/eject the CF card via the software menu of your operating system and put it into your camera.
Make sure that you have a fully charged, preferably original Canon battery inside your camera.
Switch on the camera. Press the "Menu" button (on the upper left), go to the third  (olive-colored) menu with the tool icon, go to the "Firmware" entry, press the button and run the Firmware update.
Wait for all installation messages till you get the message that it is safe to switch off the camera. Switch off the camera.
Switch it on again, wait a few seconds, and press the trashcan button on the lower left to enter the MagicLantern menu.
With the joystick, navigate into the menu with the video camera. Scroll down and adjust the entries with the big scroll wheel.
Activate the entry "REC key: HalfShutter".
Scroll down to the very bottom to the submenu "RAW video". Activate this option. Then press the "Func" button on the lower left to enter its option menu.
Start with conservative settings/low video resolutions (like 640x480) first. Activate the entry "Small Hacks".
Press the trashcan button to leave the Magic Lantern menu.
Press the Live View button on the upper left (next to "Menu") to enter LiveView. If this does not work, activate LiveView in the normal configuration menu of the camera (in the second olive tool menu).
If Live View is working, adjust shutter speed and aperture (if you are using a modern Canon lens) by pressing the trashcan button and going in the first submenu of Magic Lantern. Press the trashcan icon once you are done.
In Live View, half depress the normal camera release. You now see an indication that raw video is being recorded. Stop by pressing the release again.
When you are done, switch off the camera, copy the files ending with ".raw" from the DCIM folder of the CF card to your computer, use a program like RawMagic for Mac OS X (http://www.magiclant...hp?topic=6218.0) or ... (don't what is the recommended Windows solution at the moment, so I better leave this blank) to transform the files into Cinema DNG sequences, then grade/transform with your favorite raw conversion/grading tool (AE, Lightroom, Resolve...).
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Gekko

Quote from: rommex on August 04, 2013, 10:57:26 PM
Andy has explained the difference 3 or 4 times by now. Why don't you look up his earlier posts?

NOT very helpful.
Did you try a search on this topic? It's a trillion results. If you know where an explanation may be found, please just be so kind and give a more specific localization. Your answer doesn't even give a hint if it's inside the 104 pages of this topic after all. It's like kindly asking for someone's number and hearing "it's in the yellow pages".
Any real help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Andy, perhaps it might be a good idea to include a TXT file inside your tragic lantern bin. :-)

Andy600

Quote from: Gekko on August 04, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
NOT very helpful.
Did you try a search on this topic? It's a trillion results. If you know where an explanation may be found, please just be so kind and give a more specific localization. Your answer doesn't even give a hint if it's inside the 104 pages of this topic after all. It's like kindly asking for someone's number and hearing "it's in the yellow pages".
Any real help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Andy, perhaps it might be a good idea to include a TXT file inside your tragic lantern bin. :-)

Or you could look at the changes on bitbucket.

Ok, in a nutshell, Magic Lantern is the Unified code as developed by a1ex, G3gg0 et al with the addition of the raw video module and other modules ETTR, Pic Viewer etc.

Tragic Lantern is developed by 1% and it's all of the above plus camera-specific enhancements and additional functionality for the 50D (and 6D, EOS-M, 600D).

The latest Tragic Lantern builds have ADTG shutter control which basically makes the shutter behave itself better than it did, Reslock (currently being tested) and also additional settings for raw video (delayed start, auto-Global Draw OFF etc) and a lot of other clever bit's and pieces that I couldn't even begin to explain because I don't know.

I just compile the code (fresh every time) that is available on Bitbucket and upload builds for you to download IF the developers themselves have not done so.

I'm sorry I haven't yet finished the 50D guide but there is a lot in there about all of this stuff (to the best of my own understanding).

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Gekko

Quote from: Andy600 on August 04, 2013, 11:24:58 PM
Tragic Lantern is developed by 1% and it's all of the above plus camera-specific enhancements and additional functionality for the 50D (and 6D, EOS-M, 600D).

The latest Tragic Lantern builds have ADTG shutter control which basically makes the shutter behave itself better than it did, Reslock (currently being tested) and also additional settings for raw video (delayed start, auto-Global Draw OFF etc) and a lot of other clever bit's and pieces

Many, many thanks for that explanation.

pulsar124

Dogmydog: Thanks, that is a good start.

dogmydog

Quote from: pulsar124 on August 05, 2013, 12:52:18 AM
Dogmydog: Thanks, that is a good start.

You're welcome bro.
I'm a noob myself, so it was a relief when I found this step-by-step instructions.

Personally, I would skip this step:
"Activate the entry "REC key: HalfShutter"."
Since in Tragic Lantern Build you record RAW Video by pressing set button.

And Andy600, don't apologize on you delay writing the 50D guide, since you have no obligation at all on doing it.
All your comments and posts have been extremely helpful so far, so tyvm :D
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

LEVISDAVIS

PULSAR124...

The lens data is not recorded in the current firmware. However, G3ggo is working on an entirely new version of DNG files that includes the "metadata." It will be a great compliment for ACR for sure!

Thanks ML!
Levi S. Davis

dan_seddon

Thank you very much for this excellent software. I've used it a few times for testing raw footage for different purposes and it's been fantastic - along with the extended bracketing support which is amazing!!!

I have a question regarding the full frame res vs moire. The current res limitation appears to be from the line/column skipping for video so the camera's native res of approx 4500x3000 becomes approx 1500x1000, skipping 2 in 3 in each direction. This, assumably, is also the reason for the moire. I assume this has been discussed before, but is there a way to skip every 2 - reducing the moire and having the max res be approx 2250x1250, which could itself be cropped to something more manageable. I'm guessing the answer is that the video feed is being determined by parts of the firmware there is currently no access to - but it would be great if this were possible as it could kill 2 birds with 1 stone :)

Thanks

Dan

D.L. Watson

Filmed this video this afternoon. Definitely have a workflow down now.

To my surprise, when using Bachelor, all of my exported frames came out as an extension of .dp-@ rather than .dng files.

Ill be posting a video tutorial on if this happens to you, how you can fix it as well as a look at my workflow.

Thanks for watching!
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

rommex

Quote from: dan_seddon on August 05, 2013, 07:40:30 AM

I assume this has been discussed before, but is there a way to skip every 2 - reducing the moire and having the max res be approx 2250x1250, which could itself be cropped to something more manageable. I'm guessing the answer is that the video feed is being determined by parts of the firmware there is currently no access to - but it would be great if this were possible as it could kill 2 birds with 1 stone :)

Thanks

Dan

Don't dream about it )

johansugarev

Latest Tragic Lantern froze my 50D when I tried to enable Canon GUI to see where the focus box is.

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on August 05, 2013, 08:54:17 PM
Latest Tragic Lantern froze my 50D when I tried to enable Canon GUI to see where the focus box is.

Can you recreate the error and explain what you did?

I shot with the latest TL build today and didn't have any issues.

fromdecember

Here is another video I did just goofing around downtown. 

@1%  About 7-8 seconds in you start to see the 'flashing' I talked about.

Raw to CDNG
ACR Flattened Image
Color Corrected in AE

I'm doing the same video, except corrected in Resolve to test different looks/feels.

leojames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMwhRRpem4

i got some dead pixels at f12 with iso 12,800  is this normal ?

used a LA-7200 Anamorphic lens with a diopter output 1080x816

MPEG STREAM CLIP Hides gamma exposure

1%

I saw it brighten/darken on the monument.. that looks like its from ACR.

leojames

is that a bug from ACR ? because yes i did use ACR before importing into AFX

Andy600

Quote from: leojames on August 05, 2013, 11:05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMwhRRpem4

i got some dead pixels at f12 with iso 12,800  is this normal ?

used a LA-7200 Anamorphic lens with a diopter output 1080x816

MPEG STREAM CLIP Hides gamma exposure

ISO 12800? Are you sure about that? What build are you using?

BTW your video is not working.

Supermac

fromdecember

Is that a bug currently with the raw>acr transition?

1%

Yea, ACR likes to do expo + wb shifts especially if you move certain sliders. Picking older processes helps... also sometimes gets rid of those debayering artefacts.

johansugarev

Quote from: Andy600 on August 05, 2013, 09:19:50 PM
Can you recreate the error and explain what you did?

I shot with the latest TL build today and didn't have any issues.
After enabling all modules, went into Live View and from there hopped back to ML>Live View settings>advanced settings>kill canon gui>off
Back in live view, ML gui started to flicker and the camera stopped responding, had to pull out batteries.
With the other build, the Magic Lantern one, it still flickers but does not crash.
I am guessing it will be sorted out when the time comes.

Btw, I am getting happy results with RawMagic from the app store and Photoshop CC, where I do corrections then export as tiffs and import in AE CC. No shadows flicker even if I use the shadow/highlight recovery and exposure quite hard. I need to test more and I'll post a video.

1%

This sequence is working fine here.