50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BT

Leave A Trail - Canon 50D Raw Short Film, 1920 X 1080

Shooting raw on the Canon 50D. I shot with a faster CF Card (100 MBS) that gave me 1584 X 892 resolution at 24 FPS using the newest Magic Lantern Raw hack without skipping frames. I could shoot for at least 4 minutes (I didn't try shooting longer). I did my color correction with Adobe Photoshop and converted to 1920 X 1080 for Vimeo in Compressor.

Comments welcome. Thank you.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: BT on August 03, 2013, 05:40:14 AM

Leave A Trail - Canon 50D Raw Short Film, 1920 X 1080

Shooting raw on the Canon 50D. I shot with a faster CF Card (100 MBS) that gave me 1584 X 892 resolution at 24 FPS using the newest Magic Lantern Raw hack without skipping frames. I could shoot for at least 4 minutes (I didn't try shooting longer). I did my color correction with Adobe Photoshop and converted to 1920 X 1080 for Vimeo in Compressor.

Comments welcome. Thank you.

Nice video, beautiful place. How do you transfer/workflow the files for color correction with photoshop? 

BT

I do most of the cc work in Photoshop before exporting to tiff and then pro res. I do lots of still work, and Photoshop is a powerful tool when working with raw files.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 03, 2013, 05:47:50 AM
Nice video, beautiful place. How do you transfer/workflow the files for color correction with photoshop?

Great job real organic footage.. Keep posting more vids.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on August 02, 2013, 09:32:55 AM

Newest Fstoppers piece. Entirely 50D excluding aerial stuff. Full BTS going up now.

Great job on both BTS videos.. footage looks amazing.  You really got the grain down pack.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: BT on August 03, 2013, 06:46:36 AM
I do most of the cc work in Photoshop before exporting to tiff and then pro res. I do lots of still work, and Photoshop is a powerful tool when working with raw files.

Right on.. ACR sure gives the best result.  Do you export your .Tiff's through Quicktime 7, or bring them into after effects?

BT

arrinkiiii

riccardocovino

Quote from: artiswar on August 03, 2013, 02:56:34 AM
For the slight glow on skin tone I created a new node, then used a qualifier to select the skin tones (HSL qualifier), I upped the blur on the qualifier so I could get a bit of bleed on the edges. I then increased the luma curve right around the mid high point and added some blur to it. Usually, I'll maximize the effect to a ridiculous level and tone it down to where I want it using the Gain function in the key tab.

thanks for the deep explanation!
I think there-s no solution for heating, how long were those shots? more than 20 mins? (i doubt, you would need a 128GB card!).
If it was heating after 10 mins it's strange, maybe it was already a really sunny hot day?
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

ike

What kind of sharpness and denoise settings have u been using in Lightroom to get the best out of your shots?

And do you resize in lightroom/photoshop or in video editing software?

arrinkiiii

Were can i download only the ETTR module?

Thank youuu  :D

1%

No real cure for the overheating but maybe needs a warning in FPS override.. if fps = ~21 and set fps !=21 pop up a warning so you don't come back with 21fps deliverables on a project.

pulsar124

I remember some time ago someone posted a link to a guide/tutorial for RAW video on 50D, but I can't find it. Could anyone please repost it? It should probably go to the first post on this thread - it became so long, that for someone in my situation (about to start using 50D for RAW video) it will appear overwhelming.

Thanks!

fromdecember

When I shoot some of my video, say in front of a green screen with steady lighting... my subjects are somewhat 'blinking'.  The light is flashing like it's doing automatic quick exposure.  How can I fix this?

Gekko

Quote from: fromdecember on August 03, 2013, 06:11:33 PM
When I shoot some of my video, say in front of a green screen with steady lighting... my subjects are somewhat 'blinking'.  The light is flashing like it's doing automatic quick exposure.  How can I fix this?

Sounds as if you have the "HDR Video" function switched on. In this mode, the camera will bracket every sequence in different exposure settings, giving you a "flickery" result. See if it's turned on and switch it off to return to normal exposing.

Gekko

Quote from: pulsar124 on August 03, 2013, 04:31:34 PM
I remember some time ago someone posted a link to a guide/tutorial for RAW video on 50D, but I can't find it. Could anyone please repost it? It should probably go to the first post on this thread - it became so long, that for someone in my situation (about to start using 50D for RAW video) it will appear overwhelming.

Thanks!

I think you are referring to Andy who is still writing a tutorial on this subject. However EOSHD.com released a tutorial on the 50D shooting RAW, it can be found here http://www.eoshd.com/the-eoshd-50d-raw-shooters-guide but it will cost a lot.

fromdecember

Shot this yesterday messing around.

Disease

I only get a few seconds recording before the buffer maxes out and I get the message. "Recording has been automatically stoppped".
I have a Komputerbay card so why is it only allowing me roughly 45mb/s bitrates before it closes itself down?
I have made a post about it if anyone can please help me. maybe reply on that instead of here or PM me please.. Many thanks!

fromdecember

HDR is off. Still blinks. Any other ideas to check for?

1%

Expo override, auto WB (could have trouble on green screen). Post a video of it maybe?

darko

@ fromdecember - when filming green screen you need to go higher shutter speed to eliminate flicker with all cameras,try raising it to about
between 1/80 - 1/100, also if using some cheaper fluorescent lights this can be issue.
I ve been doing green screen extensivly for past 7 years since mini DV 1/4 inch camcorders were the only option for indy film makers and had to encounter all kind of issues...
Hope this will help out.

D.L. Watson

Hey folks! I just wanted to share a free Adobe Camera RAW preset that I believe will be very useful for others as it has been for me. An easy to use preset to flatten your footage to kickstart your color-grading.

This plugin will take your footage and flatten your image so you can render into Pro-Res, DNxHD, or Cineform and color-grade in whatever program you wish.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Download and read more information here: http://www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

*footage shown in video is from a Canon 50D.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

pulsar124

My understanding is many here are using ACR as part of the workflow. That's what I always use for my raw photos, and I love it. One important reason I like is because it can automatically correct many lens defects across multiple photos - distortion, vignetting, and chromatic aberration. CA is probably not very important for video, but distortion and vignetting are.

In your workflow, at the ACR stage, does it get all the relevant meta data (EXIF)? Is there any meta data in the RAW video? At the very least, one would want to have the lens ID, aperture, and focal length (for zooms) at the start of the video. Better still to have it for each frame. Are there any plans for such feature, if it doesn't exist yet?

rommex

[offtopic mode on]
I can hear about this progress with 7D RAW... Damn I sold my beloved 7D because it was the least ML'd camera at the time. Then I bought 550D as the the then most ML'd camera. Then I bought 50D as the cheapest "RAW monster".... Now everything comes back to 7D  ;) ML ROCKS
[offtopic mode off]