50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artiswar

Newest Fstoppers piece. Entirely 50D excluding aerial stuff. Full BTS going up now.

riccardocovino

I love that skin tone!
Workflow? Adobe or DaVinci?
Noise is added in post?
Thanks for sharing!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

artiswar

Quote from: riccardocovino on August 02, 2013, 09:37:51 AM
I love that skin tone!
Workflow? Adobe or DaVinci?
Noise is added in post?
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

Joined the raw spanned files in terminal, then through RAWMagic, then Davinci. Since it was BTS and I wasn't sure what I was going to edit as it's BTS I graded it all. Edited in Premiere. Grain is from Gorilla Grain.

Skin tones: I softened the entirety of the mid to high range and overexposed for the skintones. Nice bloomy, soft look.

burton-fzz

Quote from: artiswar on August 02, 2013, 09:42:05 AM
Thank you!

Joined the raw spanned files in terminal, then through RAWMagic, then Davinci.
first of all - nice video!
do you use rawmagic to convert RAW file to CinemaDNG and then importing it directly into Resolve, of do you use other workflow? Do you have that crazy moire issue? with burning and flashing with red every contrast pixels like I posted before?

Quote from: rommex on August 01, 2013, 11:08:46 PM
You can easily search in this thread to find out other "news" about this card  ;)

I have read the whole topic and other before buying 50d, but I cant remember anything about list of "supporterd cards". may be it's time to make it? But I know only two CF which can be used - Komputerbay x1000 (and other x1000 card which COST ALOT) and transcend x600 which I tested yesterday. Komputerbay can't be bought because I can't even google it in russian language - and it mean that there are no shops which want to sell it, neither transcend x600 which is selled for 125 US dollars, or 100Euro for 32GB ver x600. and 230 US dollars for 64gb version.
transcend x1000 costs 20% more. still it's more chipper then Red Mag 1.8" per gigabyte, but 4 times more expensive then really fast SSD from crucial or samsung or ocz...  :(

that's all I know about Compact flash capable for RAW recording
Also there is Kingston CF/*U3 Which costs 90 us dollars for 32gb version, but I doubt of it speed capabilities...

savale

Hey Andy made us a new build  8) thanks, going to check it out asap. Can we already expect the new raw format (mlv) in this build?

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/

riccardocovino

Skin tones: I softened the entirety of the mid to high range and overexposed for the skintones. Nice bloomy, soft look.

may I ask you how you did it in davinci? which curves you edited? it looks terrific to me!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Andy600

Quote from: savale on August 02, 2013, 11:08:33 AM
Hey Andy made us a new build  8) thanks, going to check it out asap. Can we already expect the new raw format (mlv) in this build?

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/

Not just yet.

.mlv is still being developed by g3gg0. It's not yet as fast as .raw and post workflow is a little more involved but we will get it at some point.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

johansugarev

Will the new format change the workflow a lot? I got used to RawMagic to Photoshop to TIFF to After Effects. As I see it the benefit would be easier file spanning and metadata in the dng's?

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on August 02, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
Will the new format change the workflow a lot? I got used to RawMagic to Photoshop to TIFF to After Effects. As I see it the benefit would be easier file spanning and metadata in the dng's?

The new format currently requires converting to .raw first so the converter apps will all need changing. There will be limited metadata and I think file spanning will likely be similar to .raw

You can follow the thread here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

I think this development is best left to mature before porting to the 50D as it doesn't currently perform as well as .raw

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ike

What builds are people currenty using?

I used Gregory's jul27, but whenever I boot my camera iso jumps to 3200 for no reason.
Also when i adjust iso my camera doesnt use canons iso but the equvailent.
Also when i stop my recording i need to hit info a couple of times to get the screen information back.
There is propably some problems with saving the config file or something. Some settings just seem to stay on every startup even though i have changed and saved the new ones.

Thanks

PS.

Do you mean unsharpening mid to highs? or what do you mean by softening?

Andy600

@ike - are you using a custom mode (C1 or C2)? If so it will restore ISO, WB etc to what you saved them as.

My latest builds are here:-

Magic - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads
Tragic - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Both stable

dogmydog

Quote from: ike on August 01, 2013, 12:19:48 AM
Thank u! i think it worked out now. i merged the files together and extracted the dngs with raw2dng
BUT i had some frames that had size of 0bytes??. I could open them and they showed a frame that was intact.
any ideas?

When you finish creating the DNG files with raw2dng, in Windows Explorer, some of them appear as 0kb. However, if you change folder and then come back, you'll notice that windows have corrected the size of those files equal of the size of the others. You can check that by ordering files by size.

This happened to me on set, and I was also alarmed. But it was just windows explorer acting funny :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

ike

Quote from: Andy600 on August 02, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
@ike - are you using a custom mode (C1 or C2)? If so it will restore ISO, WB etc to what you saved them as.

My latest builds are here:-

Magic - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads
Tragic - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Both stable
Im using your magic build now and still it doesnt restore ISO or WB and im using C2

Andy600

@ike - obviously  ::) that's why I asked if you were using a custom mode.

Custom modes are a snapshot of how the camera was set up so ISO, WB etc will load exactly as it was stored (it's nothing to do with Magic Lantern). If you want to save the current state you need to write it again to C2.

ike

@Andy

HAHAHA how dumb of me, ok so i'll be using M mode in the future it is working now.
one more thing! is it possible to have native iso values only like 100 200 400 800 1600. The ones in between have canon digital iso value of -0.3 EV. I mean when u are changing iso I would like to have only the native iso values at my disposal

ah nevermind found it incamera. i came from the 60d so the gui is a bit different

thanks agains and sorry :D

ike

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18087684/test.mp4
Here is some test footage straight from camera. No grading no nothing (WB and exposure done in Lightroom). I'm really pleased to see how crisp and clean the image is. a bit of antializing but not bad i guess.

settings:
1584x1058
23.976 fps
upressed to
16:9 1080p (+ some 2.35 cropping)

I can shoot that continously. with my trancend 64gb 1000x udma 7

There is one frame drop in the 2.35 crop but my card wasn't warm.

With external monitor this 50d is a BEAST!

BTW: does anyone know a goodway to reduce or completely remove the chroma noise?

Supermac

Quote from: ike on August 02, 2013, 08:02:42 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18087684/test.mp4
Here is some test footage straight from camera. No grading no nothing (WB and exposure done in Lightroom). I'm really pleased to see how crisp and clean the image is. a bit of antializing but not bad i guess.

settings:
1584x1058
23.976 fps
upressed to
16:9 1080p (+ some 2.35 cropping)

I can shoot that continously. with my trancend 64gb 1000x udma 7

There is one frame drop in the 2.35 crop but my card wasn't warm.

With external monitor this 50d is a BEAST!

BTW: does anyone know a goodway to reduce or completely remove the chroma noise?

Looks good, nice frame for the crop too.

pulsar124

I can only blame this thread for quite a bit of unplanned expenses :) !  At this point, I haven't shot any RAW video yet, but I already spent money on

• - Zoom H1 recorder (I'm still hoping for a ML solution for video/audio syncing, like making 50D beep at the start of the video...)
    • - Zoom H1 accessories (shock mount from dslrnoob, wind shield)
    • - Power adapter for my 50D
    • - 200W power converter from 12V to 120V (to be used with the power adapter and the car starter battery I already have)
  • - And the latest - I just ordered locally Transcend 32GB 1000x. For Komputerbay 32GB 1000x, shipping to Canada and duties make it as expensive as the Transcend, and from what I've seen the Transcend should be much more reliable.

I am itching now to put all this to good (RAW video) use. I have a few nice lenses to play with (Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Canon 135L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Sigma 10-20mm, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 50mm and 28mm MF lenses).

ike

@pulsar

whatkind of powersolution u have there?

pulsar124

Quote from: ike on August 02, 2013, 11:48:16 PM
@pulsar

whatkind of powersolution u have there?

I haven't received the card yet. I only tried compressed 1080p video on my old Transcend 400x, works fine.

Thai

What raw mod can I use that will work with my UDMA 7 Lexar 800x (45mbs write speed) card?

I installed magiclantern-Andy600.Build.2013Aug01.50D109 and I guess it's 70mbs RAW video and it keeps stopping on me. :(

EDIT - I changed Bitrate mode to FW Default and it works now. :)

EDIT 2 - It appears I have no idea what I was doing. lol. Looks like I have to adjust Resolution to my cards capabilities. :P

artiswar

Full BTS is up.

Converted to CDNGs through RAWMagic. Graded with the BMD film preset. Payed attention to skin tones in terms of color.

For the slight glow on skin tone I created a new node, then used a qualifier to select the skin tones (HSL qualifier), I upped the blur on the qualifier so I could get a bit of bleed on the edges. I then increased the luma curve right around the mid high point and added some blur to it. Usually, I'll maximize the effect to a ridiculous level and tone it down to where I want it using the Gain function in the key tab.

artiswar

Also, interesting issue. I've been having an issue with one card it seems. While recording long spans, the shutter speed will change. Not only this but when converting the RAW files to CDNGs in RAWMagic, the frame rate is recognized as 21.978. What gives?

1%

A few posts (pages?) back: your camera is overheating.

artiswar

Quote from: 1% on August 03, 2013, 04:28:04 AM
A few posts (pages?) back: your camera is overheating.

Whoa. Wild. Cures?