50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

Quote from: pinger007 on July 26, 2013, 07:57:21 PM
Shot RAW on the 5DM3 and 50D using the Magic Lantern Hack. The 5DM3 was shot at 1920x1038 (1.85). The 50D was shot at 1920x1038 resolution in cropped mode to match the 5D. A pair of 64GB 1000X KomputerBay CF cards were used for the shoot. The ratio of 5D/50D is approximately 60/40.  Can you tell which shots are which?

https://vimeo.com/71108800

The RAW files were converted to dng sequences with Rawanizer ver 0.5.5. DNxHD proxies were used to edit the footage in Adobe Premiere CC. Once edited, the sequence was brought into Adobe After Effects CC via Dynamic Link and the proxies were replaced with the RAW footage. First light color correction was done in ACR, and additional corrections were performed in AE. All compositing was performed within AE.  Gorilla Grain was added to the final output.

Very nice video  :D  With what you did the fireworks??

pulsar124

Not exactly on topic, but I'm trying to learn 50D movie recording using the old non-RAW (compressed 1080p) video hack, which produces MOV files. If anyone here did shoot video this style - what is your workflow? I have an external recorder (Zoom H1), so the workflow should include a way to demux MOV into h264, sync it with external WAV audio, and mux it into something like MKV or M2TS. Is there a tutorial somewhere which would explain every step? Also, may be there is a tutorial on shooting non-RAW video with 50D - what settings to use (like, picture profiles etc.) and how?

Finally - it is probably impossible, but perhaps there is a way to join compressed video produced by 50D (which is 1080/30p h264) with the output of my Canon HD camcorder, which produces 1080/60i h264 - without recoding? I think there are containers out there which allow video stream to switch frame rates, interlacing and non-interlacing, in the middle of the stream. May be MKV can do that? Which video tool would let me join non matching frame rate files? I tried a few (AVdemux, tsMuxerGUI etc.) but it doesn't work.

akumiszcza

Quote from: DJG on July 26, 2013, 01:52:12 PM

Hey Rommex, are you using Raw2CDNG on a PC? It doesn't seem to be working for me, ver.1.2.1. I joined a split file and now have 4.95GB file I load into RAW2CDNG, but I get an error "RAW2CDNG has stopped working" every time. RAW2CDNG also is showing under Resolution: 4385 and FPS: 555512.80. Basically weird numbers.

Did you read my post a few posts after Rommex'es post? Maybe it will work for you: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg61023#msg61023

jplxpto

jplxpto

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 09:28:37 PM
It seems a possibility but the whole 40d port needs resurrecting by someone.

One day our dream will become a reality .... :)
I have not given up! Soon, I'll try to compile ML for 40D.
I'm predicting some difficulties ... The development team is unstoppable.
I'm amazed at the amount of changes that exist in the source code.

vraja

Loving the hack for the 50d - all glories to those who have developed it! For some reason in different shots in this vid I am getting strong cyan and pinky color coming through. Perhaps it is my camera?

v1rt

Another macro videography! This time, there was good light. ISO was at 200.

ultramaze

Quote from: riccardocovino on July 26, 2013, 10:51:46 AM
great shots, but noise is at an insane level!
I can see it even in daylight shots :(
which were the settings of the camera?

it was intentional. added it in post with film convert.

ultramaze

Quote from: Andy600 on July 26, 2013, 12:06:34 PM
If you're getting noise in daylight shots you're either seriously underexposing or your ISO is set very high. Use the raw histogram and expose to the right.
it was intentional. added it in film convert

ultramaze

Quote from: Andy600 on July 26, 2013, 12:29:28 PM
Sorry Riccardo, I misunderstood what you wrote previously.

Yes, I agree. The video is very dark and noisy. Maybe it was an intentional look and noise was added in post? but it still looks very underexposed to me. It could also be down to an uncalibrated monitor when grading.
much of what i shot was cranked to the highest iso settings and noise was added in post.

goldenchild9to5

My lastest test with the 50D Loving it  ;D refining my workflow gearing-up for a video shoot..

Shot on a Canon 50D with Magic Lantern Raw Hack. (Thank you ML)
Hack Build: 1% - Andy600 (Tragic 2) it's a wonderful build.
All shot @ max resolution (1584 x 896)
Global Draw: On (Waveform, Zebra, Histogram)
Small Hack: On
CF Card: Komputerbay 64gb 1000X
Lens: Vintage Nikon 50mm f1.8 Series E
Post WorkFlow: RawMagic - LightRoom 5 to .tiff sequences - Imported into QuickTime 7 Pro exported to ProRes 422 - Imported in Premiere Pro CS6 quick edit & finally used plugin (FilmConvert) to add grain and a little bit of film color. Image is a little shaky because it was shot all handheld, it was a quick test preparing myself for a major shoot for next month.

artiswar

I seem to be having issue on the July 16 build on one of my 2 KomputerBay cards. Midway through a recording, the shutter speed will drop from 1/48 to 1/84. I have FPS override on and at exact framerate for 23.976.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 28, 2013, 08:47:04 PM
My lastest test with the 50D Loving it  ;D refining my workflow gearing-up for a video shoot..

Shot on a Canon 50D with Magic Lantern Raw Hack. (Thank you ML)
Hack Build: 1% - Andy600 (Tragic 2) it's a wonderful build.
All shot @ max resolution (1584 x 896)
Global Draw: On (Waveform, Zebra, Histogram)
Small Hack: On
CF Card: Komputerbay 64gb 1000X
Lens: Vintage Nikon 50mm f1.8 Series E
Post WorkFlow: RawMagic - LightRoom 5 to .tiff sequences - Imported into QuickTime 7 Pro exported to ProRes 422 - Imported in Premiere Pro CS6 quick edit & finally used plugin (FilmConvert) to add grain and a little bit of film color. Image is a little shaky because it was shot all handheld, it was a quick test preparing myself for a major shoot for next month.

Nice shoot and nice music! Good luke with the video  :D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on July 28, 2013, 11:47:16 PM
I seem to be having issue on the July 16 build on one of my 2 KomputerBay cards. Midway through a recording, the shutter speed will drop from 1/48 to 1/84. I have FPS override on and at exact framerate for 23.976.

Artiswar you talking about (Tragic 2) ?  if it is I haven't had any problems with it yet.  I think the problem stems from using ETTR, everytime I use it my shutter changes automatically & @ times It drops to 1 and locks so I have to reboot the camera.  Also on my camera when Liveview is not (On) my shutter always on 1/84, so I'm thinking that something is switching your liveview (On & Off) Report back let me know if you got it fixed Cheers. 

GOD Bless

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: arrinkiiii on July 29, 2013, 12:50:57 AM
Nice shoot and nice music! Good luke with the video  :D

Thank you ArrinKiiii appreciate it I'm getting more and more comfortable shooting Raw with the 50D, got a couple more hurtles to jump but I'll get there.  The song is called "SuperStar" if your wondering, it's a single that I produced for American Idols Top 24 singer "Ashley Robles" she's amazing.  I'll keep you & the forum updated on the shoot for my upcoming (EDM) project. 

GOD Bless

arrinkiiii

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 29, 2013, 01:36:26 AM
Thank you ArrinKiiii appreciate it I'm getting more and more comfortable shooting Raw with the 50D, got a couple more hurtles to jump but I'll get there.  The song is called "SuperStar" if your wondering, it's a single that I produced for American Idols Top 24 singer "Ashley Robles" she's amazing.  I'll keep you & the forum updated on the shoot for my upcoming (EDM) project. 

GOD Bless

God bless you to.

Yes, good track and good singer. Please, keep us updated with your next video... if possible with a BTS  ;D 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: arrinkiiii on July 29, 2013, 01:46:12 AM
God bless you to.

Yes, good track and good singer. Please, keep us updated with your next video... if possible with a BTS  ;D

I sure will..  8)

mjstudio

Lads, I still get the zebra thing. I use histogram, but even thou sometimes overexposed areas must appear and I'm down. I tried resetting factory settings, reinstalling ML, bu no good. Of course global draw is off.

Dng frame:
http://speedy.sh/5k7B8/DNGM20-1508-000093.dng
Raw file:
http://speedy.sh/xth3q/1508.RAW

Andy600

Quote from: mjstudio on July 29, 2013, 10:52:56 AM
Lads, I still get the zebra thing. I use histogram, but even thou sometimes overexposed areas must appear and I'm down. I tried resetting factory settings, reinstalling ML, bu no good. Of course global draw is off.

It's your conversion routine that's the problem. I just downloaded your dng and get the same issue but I also downloaded your raw file and converted with BATCHelor (v3). The issue goes away.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

riccardocovino

Quote from: ultramaze on July 28, 2013, 11:34:09 AM
it was intentional. added it in post with film convert.

ahh ok.. so your video is not a quality test but an artistic maniulation, understood.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

DJG

Quote from: Supermac on July 26, 2013, 10:10:29 PM
I've been using Rawanizer and it's been working fine automatically stitching spanned files.

Thanks! Rawanizer is doing the trick perfectly for me on a PC.

mjstudio

Quote from: Andy600 on July 29, 2013, 11:20:41 AM
It's your conversion routine that's the problem. I just downloaded your dng and get the same issue but I also downloaded your raw file and converted with BATCHelor (v3). The issue goes away.

sweet lord Jesus, you saved my ass!
many many thanks!

araucaria

Is ETTR still not working one the 50D with raw video?
I've been shooting in crop mode and noise is really a problem, don't even think of iso 200 unless you can severly overexpose, that's why I'm asking. It's  a pain in the ass having to turn historgrams on and off before everyshot. Turning off automaticly globaldraw would help a lot,too. Maybe this is already implemented and I haven't noticed.

pinger007

@arrinkiiii

The fireworks were done in After Effects using a mix of Red Giant's Particular and some of Video Copilot's Action Essentials II for the smoke effects.  I used a mix of Chroma Key and rotoscoping to mask the fireworks to the sky. 

https://vimeo.com/71108800

Glad you enjoyed it.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you