50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJG

Quote from: artiswar on July 23, 2013, 06:58:41 AM
Grades from today:

Looks beautiful! Literally, lol. If you don't mind, when you post the vid, could you describe your workflow? Your images look very smooth and detailed. I always have to de-noise in ACR. And it looks like you're starting with a Log image too?

artiswar

Quote from: DJG on July 24, 2013, 08:49:35 AM
Looks beautiful! Literally, lol. If you don't mind, when you post the vid, could you describe your workflow? Your images look very smooth and detailed. I always have to de-noise in ACR. And it looks like you're starting with a Log image too?

Will do. I'm not doing ACR at all. Straight RAWMagic into DaVinci with this defringing trick. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6845.0

djfremen

What anamorphic lens is that DJD? It makes a lot of sense to go this squeezed route.

DJG

@Artiswar - Awesome. More reason for me to learn Resolve, ha.

@djfremen- It's a Kalart Victorcsope. I took a chance and bought one for $150 on ebay and it seems like it's just as good as the 2x Kowa's and Sankors that go for twice or three times as much, imo. It doesn't flare as well as those, but it has a much cleaner image. Kind of like the Panasonic LA7200 except it blurs the video lines nicely. I would recommend it if you can find one. If not, then a Kowa or Sankor is really good for vintage looks (they might be a little sharper too). ML was right on the money adding the 4:3 mode.

Quote from: djfremen on July 24, 2013, 09:16:11 AM
What anamorphic lens is that DJD? It makes a lot of sense to go this squeezed route.

araucaria

Sorry for the offtopic but could I put one of those anamorphic adapters on my glass (12-24 DX, 28-70 2.8,135 2, 28 1.4) with big front elements of 72-77mm?
I see a lot of people putting these on small m4/3 glass or Russian helios,etc... but I don't have a clue about big lenses. Any cheap recomendation?

crash-film

some pretty extreme grading:

filmed entirely on the 50D. mirrored, graded and some filters on top...

still trying to get a freeware workflow. this is done @work using creative suite and saphire plug ins.
(after effects+acr+scaling => dnxhd proxies/EXR sequences, edited in premiere with dnxhd proxies. sequence replaced with after effects composition. footage replaced with EXR sequences => grading+FX)

dhallowell19

Quote from: crash-film on July 24, 2013, 11:57:44 AM
some pretty extreme grading:

filmed entirely on the 50D. mirrored, graded and some filters on top...

Wasn't that a bit of moire I detect at about 02:0.... (just kidding)

That's quite a piece!  I love the effects.  I'll be keen to learn more about the tools you used - thanks for any further details you might want to share.

Supermac

Quote from: araucaria on July 24, 2013, 11:21:11 AM
Sorry for the offtopic but could I put one of those anamorphic adapters on my glass (12-24 DX, 28-70 2.8,135 2, 28 1.4) with big front elements of 72-77mm?
I see a lot of people putting these on small m4/3 glass or Russian helios,etc... but I don't have a clue about big lenses. Any cheap recomendation?

Hi Araucaria,

On an APS camera using a 16mm Anamorphic adapter you can't go any wider than 50mm otherwise you'll get some serious vignetting. Any more than 100mm becomes difficult to focus due to Anamorphic Astigmatism. You could use your 28-70mm in the mid range using a step down ring and a Redstan adapter. Or you could pick up a helios 58mm for £20. Anyway, I'm gonna run before I get in trouble for going off topic! :)

Cheers

Andy600

Quote from: Supermac on July 24, 2013, 11:12:19 PM
Hi Araucaria,

On an APS camera using a 16mm Anamorphic adapter you can't go any wider than 50mm otherwise you'll get some serious vignetting. Any more than 100mm becomes difficult to focus due to Anamorphic Astigmatism. You could use your 28-70mm in the mid range using a step down ring and a Redstan adapter. Or you could pick up a helios 58mm for £20. Anyway, I'm gonna run before I get in trouble for going off topic! :)

Cheers

That's one thing I would like to see on this forum. A dedicated anamorphic section. It's even more relevant since the introduction of raw and selectable aspect ratios.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Supermac

Quote from: Andy600 on July 24, 2013, 11:19:43 PM
That's one thing I would like to see on this forum. A dedicated anamorphic section. It's even more relevant since the introduction of raw and selectable aspect ratios.

Anamorphic is very relevant and makes a lot of sense with Raw on the 50d. A 2 x squeeze is a lot less extreme with a squarer frame like 1584 x 1056 for example. I don't have to crop 1080p h.264 to get a more normal aspect ratio like 2.4/2.66. And there's more detail and dynamic range too. Cool!

D.L. Watson

Took a camping trip to Diamond Lake and got some shots of Crater Lake just a few miles away using 50D Raw. Some good shots, some not so good shots, but hey, still testing.

See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

TrulyRAW

Great work and impressive videos!
I am always interested in details about posted videos, like build, lens, mm, card, settings etc.

For people interested in anamorphic, have you considered crop mode at something like 1328x1494 up to 1360x1530 with a 2x anamorphic lens?

That would be 16:9 with high resolution and at current maximum bitrate. Vignetting should be less than at 1584x1056 non crop mode. The quality may get higher, but you would get more zoom effect than the non crop mode.

I do not own any anamorphic lens, and would like to know more about them. It would indeed be nice to have that discussion at another thread.

rommex

Quote from: rommex on July 23, 2013, 10:24:00 PM
1. Recently I was testing ACR as I read several posts here on the forum about it being better. However, ACR doesn't solve the issue for me as I wished it would.

goldenchild, I take my words back and now have full agreement with your point. I tested ACR against DV Resolve specifically in terms of moire and aliasing -- ACR ROCKS!

UPDATE: a very noobish question: when importing the cDNG sequence to After Effects, is there a waу to see another than the first frame, and make adjustments against it? thnx

artiswar

Quote from: rommex on July 25, 2013, 03:50:25 PM
goldenchild, I take my words back and now have full agreement with your point. I tested ACR against DV Resolve specifically in terms of moire and aliasing -- ACR ROCKS!

UPDATE: a very noobish question: when importing the cDNG sequence to After Effects, is there a waу to see another than the first frame, and make adjustments against it? thnx

Is there any available format to export from AE that will allow me to utilize the defringing benefits of ACR but still grade in DaVinci with all of the RAW camera options?

artiswar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_tRCWeND8&feature=youtu.be

GH2 and 50D teaser for a Fstoppers BTS. GH2 was only the aerial shot.

djfremen

Cool aerial! What flying rig is that?

artiswar

Quote from: djfremen on July 25, 2013, 10:31:04 PM
Cool aerial! What flying rig is that?

Don't know too much about it besides that it's a cine star 8

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: rommex on July 25, 2013, 03:50:25 PM

Rommex glad you did proper testing.  Davinci is not quite there yet handling DNG's from the Canon's.  I was having the same problem with After Effects there might be but not sure, I'm currently using Lightroom 5 man I tell you I'm in love with it should give it a try as well worflow is very optimized.  Let me know if you need help with Lightroom 5 Cheers. 

GOD Bless

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on July 25, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
Is there any available format to export from AE that will allow me to utilize the defringing benefits of ACR but still grade in DaVinci with all of the RAW camera options?

Don't think so Artiswar the only format you can export to edit in Resolve in ProRes, and a couple others.  In ACR if you save back a DNG Davinci won't recognize the DNG file and it won't read it. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: D.L. Watson on July 25, 2013, 11:18:59 AM
Took a camping trip to Diamond Lake and got some shots of Crater Lake just a few miles away using 50D Raw. Some good shots, some not so good shots, but hey, still testing.

Great video..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on July 25, 2013, 07:03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_tRCWeND8&feature=youtu.be

GH2 and 50D teaser for a Fstoppers BTS. GH2 was only the aerial shot.

Very nice.. like the grit you put in it (grain, and scratches)

artiswar

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 26, 2013, 12:38:30 AM
Very nice.. like the grit you put in it (grain, and scratches)

Thank you. Gorilla Grain is killer.

dhallowell19

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 26, 2013, 12:32:00 AM
I was having the same problem with After Effects there might be but not sure, I'm currently using Lightroom 5 man I tell you I'm in love with it should give it a try as well worflow is very optimized.  Let me know if you need help with Lightroom 5

Would you mind outlining your LR5 workflow - or pointing me to a place where that might already be discussed?

ultramaze

Here is a piece I did as part of the Canon "Long Live Imagination" contest. Shot it all on the Canon 50d in raw. A few1:1 shots in the field at the end..other than that..all at 1580 or whatever because my composition was important and I needed to see what I was recording... Its a shame you cant currently view what is actually being recorded at 1:1 because the image quality is dramatically better. Wanted to test out the lowlight ability of this bad boy and see how it would play in a more professional setting. Hope to use it more soon.

https://www.longliveimagination.com/gallery/video/671
https://vimeo.com/70853696

workflow

ML Raw> RAWMagic> Resolve [converted to BMD Log]> ProRes 4444> Filmconvert> FCPX> Vimeo :)

v1rt

Shot the moon this evening. It was so big! I took the raw video 10 mins after it showed itself above the horizon.