50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on July 19, 2013, 11:05:18 PM
Correct :)

I switch auto ETTR off for low-light shots and stop down and/or use ND filters in strong light. 'Always on' ETTR works well in most situations for me.

Incidentally it seems to work a lot better with ADGT shutter timers in Tragic Lantern but still testing it TBH.

Thank you for the info..

pinger007

Just finished up an interview shot on both the 5DM3 (CU) and the 50D (Medium).  The cameras worked well together, but looking back I would have made the 50D the CU camera in order to avoid the moire.  However, I just updated the 50D to the July 11th build and tested the crop mode at 1920 1:85 and it recorded continuously on my 32GB KomputerBay 1000X CF for 5gb before I stopped it!  This is great!  I'll be sure to use this crop mode next time when I shoot alongside the 5DM3.

all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

D.L. Watson

Quote from: akumiszcza on July 19, 2013, 10:18:10 AM
In an old post:

New post:

So, are you really experiencing continuous recording in 1080p? This means 1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio). I was really trying all options and can't do that on 32gig 1000x Komputerbay card. About 2000 frames max.

Continuous means the buffer is not increasing during filming, you can see it on the screen. And after a while you see "continuous OK" or similar.

I apologize. 1080p was a typo. It's 1920x802 (2.39:1) crop for continious. Sorry for the confusion. I can get continuous recording at 2:20:1 as well.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

pinger007

I'm getting continuous recording with 1920x1038 (1.85) with the KomputerBay 32GB 1000X on the July 11th build.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

mjstudio

QuoteThe horses are turning to zebras! 
People too, I'd rather a rainbow unicorn mode ;D

Quote from: a1ex on July 19, 2013, 08:58:18 AM

Can you upload a DNG converted with raw2dng from the horse video, and one second (or less) of a raw test shot (the RAW file) showing the same problem?

Sure, another exapmple from yesterday as I usually delete raw files straight away. http://s22.postimg.org/9e0aavw1d/DNGM19_1702_000027.jpg

Unfortuantely it's 222mb big as the overexposure stripes are not happening all the time. So had to take the camera out and shoot a lot yesterday, this one is the smallest.

http://speedy.sh/8rnhJ/1702.RAW

Quote from: Andy600 on July 19, 2013, 02:57:56 AM

What build?, what are you converting raw files with? and what's your post app?

The one with horses shot with Gregory's 11 of July build, but it also happened with 11 of June build. Yesterday's one shot with Tragic Lantern posted 2 days ago. I always convert using raw2dng straight through Camera Raw to AfterEffects. Used to look at the histogram, but now it's more than a a must.

a1ex

Can't convert that raw file (maybe download issue). What resolution did you use?

(or, better, paste the conversion log from raw2dng - I can recover the metadata from that).

mjstudio

It was 1584 x 662. I think I found what's wrong - it's the canon's highlight allert form the main menu - will test it later on and let you guys know. Thanks for all help.

v1rt

Quote from: v1rt on July 19, 2013, 07:05:48 PM
What am I doing wrong? I am trying low light. My resulting video is noisy that is similar to 3200 iso.
I chose LowLight from the settings, 1280x720, global off, 23.976 fps, manual aperture to f1.4(Asahi Super Takumar 50mm lens). I remember my ISO was around 400-800. I will try it again tonight once I get home.

Forgot to mention, I'm using the latest GregoryofManhattan build.

Not sure why I didn't get a response :( Should I post a video to get a response?

I tried my best last night and this is the best quality I was able to achieve. Is it acceptable?

Andy600

Quote from: v1rt on July 20, 2013, 01:21:21 PM
Not sure why I didn't get a response :( Should I post a video to get a response?

I tried my best last night and this is the best quality I was able to achieve. Is it acceptable?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Looks like the shot is very under-exposed for the lighting conditions. Can you upload a short raw file and I'll take a look?

Try the same shot with auto ETTR enabled. My guess is that it will hit the ETTR limits (1/25 shutter ISO 1600 in video mode) meaning the scene is too dark anyway. The sensor is still the same as it always was, regardless of the recording format ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JBTML

QuoteCinestyle is a LOG profile and raw is linear. There will obviously be a difference in how the unprocessed images look.

Are you exposing for raw with the raw histogram enabled? Have you tried auto ETTR?

Hey Andy,

Yeah I'm now using the raw histogram and I still feel it's coming in underexposed.  I just downloaded andy's 50D guide so for the next day I'll be trying to get my head around this.  I'll let you know what I find out. 

Thanks All

v1rt

Quote from: Andy600 on July 20, 2013, 03:45:05 PM
Looks like the shot is very under-exposed for the lighting conditions. Can you upload a short raw file and I'll take a look?
Thanks Andy600! I just looked at my raw files. The ones I shot last night is around 1gigabyte. Do you want me to capture another short recording?

QuoteTry the same shot with auto ETTR enabled. My guess is that it will hit the ETTR limits (1/25 shutter ISO 1600 in video mode) meaning the scene is too dark anyway. Cinestyle will look brighter for sure but if you applied the same LOG curve as cinestyle to that footage it will likely look identical to cinestyle.

Andy, I got lost with this one. Where can I find ETTR? Also, I am using Gregory build. Should I use your build? Another thing, where can I find Cinestyle?
Sorry, I'm new to this.

Thanks!

v1rt

Quote from: JBTML on July 20, 2013, 05:04:03 PM
Hey Andy,

Yeah I'm now using the raw histogram and I still feel it's coming in underexposed.  I just downloaded andy's 50D guide so for the next day I'll be trying to get my head around this.  I'll let you know what I find out. 

Thanks All

Can you please post the link to Andy's Canon 50D guide? Thanks!

Andy600

Quote from: v1rt on July 20, 2013, 05:06:38 PM
Thanks Andy600! I just looked at my raw files. The ones I shot last night is around 1gigabyte. Do you want me to capture another short recording?

Andy, I got lost with this one. Where can I find ETTR? Also, I am using Gregory build. Should I use your build? Another thing, where can I find Cinestyle?
Sorry, I'm new to this.

Thanks!

Ignore the Cinestyle bit. I was confusing your issue with the one @v1rt was talking about.

ETTR should be in your modules list no? Look under exposure menu, switch it to 'always on' (for this test). Make sure you have exposure override enabled!

See how that looks and if you are still getting the same problems we'll explore things more. I'm guessing it is your settings and lighting conditions that are causing the issue and although you set ISO to 800 it probably needs more in this case.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@1% - What else can the ADTG be used for? It's working well for the shutter on the 50D :)

v1rt

Quote from: Andy600 on July 20, 2013, 05:11:11 PM
Ignore the Cinestyle bit. I was confusing your issue with the one @v1rt was talking about.

ETTR should be in your modules list no? Look under exposure menu, switch it to 'always on' (for this test). Make sure you have exposure override enabled!

See how that looks and if you are still getting the same problems we'll explore things more. I'm guessing it is your settings and lighting conditions that are causing the issue and although you set ISO to 800 it probably needs more in this case.

I found the ETTR module. It's already set to ON. Also, my exposure enabled was also set to on. So looks like it's lighting conditions. I have a Panasonic TM700 camcorder. It is very clean in low light. I was expecting the video quality would be somewhat the same. I'll try ISO 1600 tonight, same spot.

Thanks!

Update: I was playing with ML and I saw Auto ETTR. What does do? I went inside and it shows
Exposure target says -0.5
Highlight Ignore 0.2%
Clipping Mode: no clipping
Slowest shutter: 1/16

Andy600

Quote from: v1rt on July 20, 2013, 05:29:15 PM
I found the ETTR module. It's already set to ON. Also, my exposure enabled was also set to on. So looks like it's lighting conditions. I have a Panasonic TM700 camcorder. It is very clean in low light. I was expecting the video quality would be somewhat the same. I'll try ISO 1600 tonight, same spot.

Thanks!

Update: I was playing with ML and I saw Auto ETTR. What does do? I went inside and it shows
Exposure target says -0.5
Highlight Ignore 0.2%
Clipping Mode: no clipping
Slowest shutter: 1/16

It automatically sets optimal exposure for raw images (including raw video) by exposing to the right (hence ETTR). Look it up, there is a whole thread about it. It works with raw video but is intended mainly for stills.

v1rt

Another question. Why are my guitar's strings not straight or smooth? The image was converted from DNG to JPG. The DNG when viewed 100% within Lightroom also shows the guitar strings broken and not straight(like the link below).

http://neil.privatedns.org/M000371.jpg

riccardocovino

I try to check twice daily the topic but not sure if i miss something, so.. does anybody know if there's news about the following developments:

- beep for audio sync
- dual ISO (is there proof that 50D cannot do it?)
- 12/10 bit raw

all of them would help a lot in making the 50D usable for real work and not just random testing.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Andy600

Quote from: riccardocovino on July 20, 2013, 08:24:57 PM
I try to check twice daily the topic but not sure if i miss something, so.. does anybody know if there's news about the following developments:

- beep for audio sync
- dual ISO (is there proof that 50D cannot do it?)
- 12/10 bit raw

all of them would help a lot in making the 50D usable for real work and not just random testing.

No (no developments and probably can't do it)
No (50D can't do it)
No (I guess you're talking about compression)

Andy600

Quote from: v1rt on July 20, 2013, 08:10:59 PM
Another question. Why are my guitar's strings not straight or smooth? The image was converted from DNG to JPG. The DNG when viewed 100% within Lightroom also shows the guitar strings broken and not straight(like the link below).

http://neil.privatedns.org/M000371.jpg

jaggy edges = aliasing
colors visible in the strings = moiré

Both caused by line skipping.

riccardocovino

Quote from: Andy600 on July 20, 2013, 08:28:56 PM
No (no developments and probably can't do it)
No (50D can't do it)
No (I guess you're talking about compression)

thanks for the reply.. I wonder why 50D has problems in making a beep, being the camera able to do it while focusing.
as far as i understood right now the command that works in the others does not work for the 50D right?

regarding dual iso, i found a post from 1% dated yesterday that says he's trying to make it work on 50D:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg60409#msg60409

I guess you have more recent news if you say it's not possible :(

12/10 bit: it's compression as long as it cuts 2/4 bits of information, but it's still raw. there was a topic with many different attempts started but none was succesful. BMCC has 12 bit raw and it's more than enough! every way to shrink the size of the files without evident loss in quality is welcome, 8 minutes in 32GB is still a problem for longer productions.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

v1rt

Quote from: Andy600 on July 20, 2013, 08:36:12 PM
jaggy edges = aliasing
colors visible in the strings = moiré

Both caused by line skipping.

Got it. Is there any fix being worked on for this?

a1ex

We can't break the laws of physics. Read some theory before asking the same things over and over.

v1rt

Quote from: a1ex on July 20, 2013, 09:58:38 PM
We can't break the laws of physics. Read some theory before asking the same things over and over.

The reason I asked is because when doing multiple shots using external intervalometer, I can get a very  clean shot on my 50D. I was under the impression that the dng files inside the raw file have the same quality.

Thanks.