50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: ultramaze on July 19, 2013, 01:09:37 AM
Really wanting to know how to setup the 50d with the 5x crop mode properly. Is there no possible way to view what is actually being recorded? I need to be able to view correct framing.

No! Hacked preview mode will only let you see a low-res preview of the recordable crop area before recording. It will revert to 5x grayscale when you hit record. No fixes for this yet and don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Just how critical is your framing that you can't use an educated guess as to what the recorded frame will look like? Think of it like a broadcast safe guide overlay in your NLE and you are seeing the safe area.  You have to think a bit 'old skool' with the 50D ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

mjstudio

Thank you for a new build lads!

I need your help again. Every overexposed element gets stripes. Any cure?

Andy600

Quote from: mjstudio on July 19, 2013, 02:55:10 AM

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I've not seen that one before  ;D

What build?, what are you converting raw files with? and what's your post app?

For a cure, the first thing that comes to mind is don't over expose your shots ;) Are you using the raw histogram?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dsManning

The horses are turning to zebras!  Almost looks like your zebras from GD are being put into RAW (not really happening, just what it looks like).

Sorry that's happening, good luck on a cure.

JBTML

Hey Folks,

So here is a good one, I'm loving the raw but this one I can't quite figure this one out  So I shot and exposed for a greyscale chart  in both H264 Cinestyle and then a minute later clicked to shoot raw with the same settings:shutter 1/50,5.0, iso 160 cinestyle and here is what I got. The first shot is the H264 and it looks like what I expected. I then shot the identical chart in RAW converted in RawtoDNG and brought a still frame in CS5 s.  When I pull up the shot It looks at least 2-3 stops underexposed and as a default the brightness is defaulting to "50" already!!!!.  Yes I could crank up exposure but then I start adding noise. This must be something I am messing up.  The H264 is pretty close to what I see on the back of the camera and I'm making sure with the histogram i'm not crushing or blowing out. Really strange. I guess I expected a very similar Cine flat raw file. Could it be some thing in the ML setting that is crushing the image?

So This is the July 11th build with a 32gig Komputer card, Global Draw off and that's about it.  Creating DNG files with Raw2DNG and then I'm looking at raw dng file in cs5 and this is what I see,

What do you think?

Thanks in advance, loving the possibilities!!!!

Will try to put up stills tomorrow

JBTML

So Here are the two grabs from the previous post.  First is the H264 cine and the 2nd is the first thing I see in Cs5 when I open up a DNG still from the same greyscale shot in raw.

Thanks again

v1rt

in Desired FPS, do you pick 23.976 or 24? I'm using the former.

ultramaze

Quote from: Andy600 on July 19, 2013, 02:31:18 AM
No! Hacked preview mode will only let you see a low-res preview of the recordable crop area before recording. It will revert to 5x grayscale when you hit record. No fixes for this yet and don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Just how critical is your framing that you can't use an educated guess as to what the recorded frame will look like? Think of it like a broadcast safe guide overlay in your NLE and you are seeing the safe area.  You have to think a bit 'old skool' with the 50D ;)

My framing is very critical lol. I want to be able to see what im recording at all times! :P I guess I will just stick with the standard mode.... need to get a 5d3...

a1ex

Every overexposed element gets stripes.

Can you upload a DNG converted with raw2dng from the horse video, and one second (or less) of a raw test shot (the RAW file) showing the same problem?

akumiszcza

In an old post:

Quote from: D.L. Watson on July 13, 2013, 06:31:40 AM
[...]
By the way, I'm using the Komputer Bay 1000x 32gig and I'm experiencing continuous recording in 5X mode, 1080p.
[...]

New post:

Quote from: D.L. Watson on July 18, 2013, 07:08:46 PM
Right now, I'm recording 2000x835 in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio. I'm not sure what my MB/s is - all I know is I can basically record more than what I need. The 32gig goes quick though.

Using the July 10th Nightly Build. Shutter 1/48th. 24fps. Raw recorded in the 2.39:1 ratio - global draw turned off, with the ML Grayscale for the live-view during recording, and between ISO -100 through 1600. Hacked settings turned on.

So, are you really experiencing continuous recording in 1080p? This means 1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio). I was really trying all options and can't do that on 32gig 1000x Komputerbay card. About 2000 frames max.

Continuous means the buffer is not increasing during filming, you can see it on the screen. And after a while you see "continuous OK" or similar.

Andy600

Quote from: JBTML on July 19, 2013, 04:53:19 AM

Could it be some thing in the ML setting that is crushing the image?

Cinestyle is a LOG profile and raw is linear. There will obviously be a difference in how the unprocessed images look.

Are you exposing for raw with the raw histogram enabled? Have you tried auto ETTR?

2FAST

Quote from: JBTML on July 19, 2013, 05:37:37 AM
So Here are the two grabs from the previous post.  First is the H264 cine and the 2nd is the first thing I see in Cs5 when I open up a DNG still from the same greyscale shot in raw.

Thanks again

I have same kind of problem. I can get only darker and almost grey image. I tried to many way like use raw2dng, ACR and Rawmagic, Davinci. But I could not any good result. Image is darker and grey always...

Andy600

If you can't wait for my free 50D guide Andrew Reid of EOSHD has just released his 50D raw shooters guide for the introductory price of $19.99 (usual price $29.99).

http://www.eoshd.com/the-eoshd-50d-raw-shooters-guide

I haven't bought or read it but it will likely be packed with useful information.

My free guide (coming asap) no doubt covers a lot of the same topics but there will be areas where the guides differ. Andrew Reid is very knowledgeable in his field and will offer a pro's perspective and tips while I approach the 50D from the position of the end user who uses the 50D as their main camera (and on a budget). The free guide also explores the idiosyncrasies of the 50D, the workarounds, the problems and development of Magic Lantern in easy to understand language and all based on my own working experience with the camera. I also cover 1%'s Tragic Lantern 2.0 in detail, explaining the differences between it and the Unified code plus I try to answer a lot of your questions from beginners through to more advanced users.

I'll post the guide online hopefully in the next few days but if you can't wait, check out EOSHD's offering :)

John-Jo

Thanks for putting it all together Andy. Looking forward to reading your guide. I check here most days to keep up to speed but soo much to keep track of. All the info in one package would be a big help.

Thanks again.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

LEVISDAVIS

Using the right picture profile is tricky... For example, I've been working with some profiles such as Cinestyle and I too get similar results with the H264 exposure vs the raw... The reality of the processed image in LiveView is not the same as the raw footage being recorded to the card. Though I love looking at the Cinestyle picture profile compared to other picture profiles, especially in low-light... I will actually tend to shoot raw in Standard picture. Personally, I tend to dial in the Standard picture profile in a way that provides consistent exposure/noise floor results. Eventually, you'll be able to push the image as far as Cinestyle in post, but you've got to find the right pathway to the sensor and the LiveView.

The histogram doesn't lie... The Auto ETTR will push your shot right to the max without over clipping... You could technically continue to shoot with different picture profiles, but you'll definitely want to be zoned in on the histogram. Essentially, there are some picture profiles that truly boost the image to a great degree in LiveView. But, the data in the card is reading the information directly from the sensor. Keep practicing and stay true to the sensor readouts... They are there for you to push the limits. The LiveView simply serves as a constant unchanging rhythm featuring a dynamic range similar to a poor/standard quality computer monitor & television. Feel free to tune the LiveView to lean towards the results you most keenly require in post such as skin tones, black levels, and/or highlights.

Hang in there and keep up with the posts. Thanks everyone! Thanks ML Team!
Levi S. Davis

BT

For this video, I shot with a slower CF Card (60MBS) that gave me 1152 X 864 resolution at 24 FPS in 4:3 mode without skipping frames. I could shoot for at least 4 minutes (I didn't try shooting longer). I did my color correction with Adobe Photoshop and converted to 2304 X 864 in Compressor. Does anyone know what the resolution size limitations are when shooting in 4:3 mode? Do the limitations depend upon the speed of the card? Thank you.

hijodeibn

Quote from: Andy600 on July 19, 2013, 11:49:29 AM
If you can't wait for my free 50D guide Andrew Reid of EOSHD has just released his 50D raw shooters guide for the introductory price of $19.99 (usual price $29.99).

http://www.eoshd.com/the-eoshd-50d-raw-shooters-guide

I haven't bought or read it but it will likely be packed with useful information.

My free guide (coming asap) no doubt covers a lot of the same topics but there will be areas where the guides differ. Andrew Reid is very knowledgeable in his field and will offer a pro's perspective and tips while I approach the 50D from the position of the end user who uses the 50D as their main camera (and on a budget). The free guide also explores the idiosyncrasies of the 50D, the workarounds, the problems and development of Magic Lantern in easy to understand language and all based on my own working experience with the camera. I also cover 1%'s Tragic Lantern 2.0 in detail, explaining the differences between it and the Unified code plus I try to answer a lot of your questions from beginners through to more advanced users.

I'll post the guide online hopefully in the next few days but if you can't wait, check out EOSHD's offering :)

This is exactly what I was waiting for.......your guide certainlly will help us a lot Andy.....Thanks for all your hard work!

v1rt

What am I doing wrong? I am trying low light. My resulting video is noisy that is similar to 3200 iso.
I chose LowLight from the settings, 1280x720, global off, 23.976 fps, manual aperture to f1.4(Asahi Super Takumar 50mm lens). I remember my ISO was around 400-800. I will try it again tonight once I get home.

Forgot to mention, I'm using the latest GregoryofManhattan build.

jgerstel

filmed end of the day with nice sun.

Canon 50D Raw test to check moire in high contrast. You can see moire in the water.
Lens: Kowa 8z anamorphic

Some parts were over exposed, is very hard to see in the display, sorry for that.

EOSHD

Quote from: BT on July 19, 2013, 05:06:06 PM

For this video, I shot with a slower CF Card (60MBS) that gave me 1152 X 864 resolution at 24 FPS in 4:3 mode without skipping frames. I could shoot for at least 4 minutes (I didn't try shooting longer). I did my color correction with Adobe Photoshop and converted to 2304 X 864 in Compressor. Does anyone know what the resolution size limitations are when shooting in 4:3 mode? Do the limitations depend upon the speed of the card? Thank you.

Some really nice shots in there sir.

The opening flare was epic.

Is this the Kowa 8Z-alike Bell & Howell? Black barrel?

jgerstel

Quote from: EOSHD on July 19, 2013, 09:12:58 PM
Some really nice shots in there sir.

The opening flare was epic.

Is this the Kowa 8Z-alike Bell & Howell? Black barrel?
Yeas very nice anamorphic flares, I like 8)

goldenchild9to5

@Gregoryofmanhattan July17 build seems to be reducing write speeds and less stable.. but on the other hand the July11 build is rock solid Love it  ;D .   Just reporting back on my findings.  I have a question what's up with the ETTR mode seems that everytime it is on the shutter speeds get's all screwed-up and you can't fix it until you turn the camera off. 

Mak44

Quote from: Mak44 on July 17, 2013, 10:12:13 PM
Hi, I`m new here. I`ve read a few entries here but I`m still not sure if the Eos 50D is able to record RAW video continuasly ( without dropframes ) at 1080x1920 - 24/25 fps with a 1000x CF Card UDMA 7 100MB/second write speed or even greater (I`ve seen one with a speed of 150MB/s).
Does somebody tested it this way ? What`s about heating issues at the sensor or the cpu? Is it possible to record a few minutes not croped HD RAW video ?
Do the 50D will have any other Codec options than RAW for video recording after the ML update ? Or is it maybe a better idea to buy something like a 600D which nativly is able to record vodeo including buttons...
But the problem is that I don`t want to have the hard H264 compression on the video. Does ML supports any other video codec solutions than cropped RAW for all these EOS which haven`t an CF Card slot? for example h264 with a much higher Mbit/s rate or even somethin like
4:2:2 DNxHD or ProRes ( if the copyrights allow those things )? 
Thanks for answering

and thanks for ML – I`m realy excited since I`ve found this homepage!!!

thanks a lot for answering... ( johansugarev )
Does anybody know if it`s still possible to use software based remote ( via usb ) after installing ML ?

akumiszcza

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 19, 2013, 10:01:34 PM
I have a question what's up with the ETTR mode seems that everytime it is on the shutter speeds get's all screwed-up and you can't fix it until you turn the camera off.

I think it's this problem (exposure limits of LiveView): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg59013#msg59013 - see explanation by a1ex.

Andy600

Quote from: akumiszcza on July 19, 2013, 10:54:38 PM
I think it's this problem (exposure limits of LiveView): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg59013#msg59013 - see explanation by a1ex.

Correct :)

I switch auto ETTR off for low-light shots and stop down and/or use ND filters in strong light. 'Always on' ETTR works well in most situations for me.

Incidentally it seems to work a lot better with ADGT shutter timers in Tragic Lantern but still testing it TBH.