50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djfremen

I honestly dislike that rawdng outputting a file. Doesn't it output a 422 file and not a 4444 file?

crash-film

i´m striving through the raw therapee forum.
they have really good attempts on integrating some kind of video (aimed at timelapse purposes) functionality.

really good ideas on gpu acceleration, open exr integration (oexr is a rock solid, free image format....whereas tiff is just a container format and can be everything, making it somewhat dangerous to work with) , debayering methods.... and so on.

what i understand in that forum, they really need people to code. just raw man power.

for me the raw recording function and dng extraction works stable and i would use it as a real world production workflow.
now that the first step is done, it would be a really great opportunity to keep magic lantern raw recording really open source and independent.

depending on black magic and hoping they implement and support the #1 pocket cinema killer..... well, it works somehow. but depending on the good will of a profit oriented firm could be the wrong idea.

the adobe way is not free and nobody knows what will happen next in the adobe cloud.

developing a true ML own workflow would be perfect. inventing the wheel from scratch, while there´s a great free tool.... it just feels wrong  ;)

but a cooperation with the raw therapee folks could be the best short cut to a true open source consistent and big name independent raw system.

because: raw means your image is finally created in post

dogmydog

Quote from: menoc on July 16, 2013, 11:15:22 PM
Try to always merge spanned RAW files first before using a RAW file converter like RawMagic. The reason is that, in a spanned RAW sequence, only the last file in the sequence has the RAW file footer in it's contents. At least as far as I know.

Trying to convert a RAW file without the footer could also cause corruption. But please, let me know if I have missed any developments that render my point mute! :P  - developments come so fast I could have missed something.

I sure will. Thanks menoc!
I updated my raw2dng.exe and now I'm joining files with FSJ (recommended on Begginers guide) and no more issues with pink corrupted frames :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

JBTML

Hello all 50D folks,

So far so good with my new 32 gig card as opposed to my first 128gig, from a week back ,but a couple of questions.  When I opened up one of the dng files in photoshop it seems to indicate that i have an 8bit file.  The other issue on the July 11th build is that I'm not having any luck on the 5X and 10X magnification recording, I seem to get a monochrome LV screen during REC.  With all these things still very happy.

Thanks again all

Andy600

Quote from: JBTML on July 17, 2013, 09:03:41 PM
Hello all 50D folks,

So far so good with my new 32 gig card as opposed to my first 128gig, from a week back ,but a couple of questions.  When I opened up one of the dng files in photoshop it seems to indicate that i have an 8bit file.  The other issue on the July 11th build is that I'm not having any luck on the 5X and 10X magnification recording, I seem to get a monochrome LV screen during REC.  With all these things still very happy.

Thanks again all

If it's a DNG converted from a raw file it's 14bit (or 10, 12 or 16bit Cinema DNG if converted with raw2cdng) so Photoshop is lying to you ;)

Grayscale preview in crop mode is normal. I haven't tried with that build but try changing your preview mode to Canon. It's probably set to auto, grayscale or hacked.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Mak44

Hi, I`m new here. I`ve read a few entries here but I`m still not sure if the Eos 50D is able to record RAW video continuasly ( without dropframes ) at 1080x1920 - 24/25 fps with a 1000x CF Card UDMA 7 100MB/second write speed or even greater (I`ve seen one with a speed of 150MB/s).
Does somebody tested it this way ? What`s about heating issues at the sensor or the cpu? Is it possible to record a few minutes not croped HD RAW video ?
Do the 50D will have any other Codec options than RAW for video recording after the ML update ? Or is it maybe a better idea to buy something like a 600D which nativly is able to record vodeo including buttons...
But the problem is that I don`t want to have the hard H264 compression on the video. Does ML supports any other video codec solutions than cropped RAW for all these EOS which haven`t an CF Card slot? for example h264 with a much higher Mbit/s rate or even somethin like
4:2:2 DNxHD or ProRes ( if the copyrights allow those things )? 
Thanks for answering

and thanks for ML – I`m realy excited since I`ve found this homepage!!!

dogmydog

Thanks to the awesome help of you all, I present my results on vimeo.
Dude... RAW is amazing.

Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

johansugarev

Quote from: Mak44 on July 17, 2013, 10:12:13 PM
Hi, I`m new here. I`ve read a few entries here but I`m still not sure if the Eos 50D is able to record RAW video continuasly ( without dropframes ) at 1080x1920 - 24/25 fps with a 1000x CF Card UDMA 7 100MB/second write speed or even greater (I`ve seen one with a speed of 150MB/s).
Does somebody tested it this way ? What`s about heating issues at the sensor or the cpu? Is it possible to record a few minutes not croped HD RAW video ?
Do the 50D will have any other Codec options than RAW for video recording after the ML update ? Or is it maybe a better idea to buy something like a 600D which nativly is able to record vodeo including buttons...
But the problem is that I don`t want to have the hard H264 compression on the video. Does ML supports any other video codec solutions than cropped RAW for all these EOS which haven`t an CF Card slot? for example h264 with a much higher Mbit/s rate or even somethin like
4:2:2 DNxHD or ProRes ( if the copyrights allow those things )? 
Thanks for answering

and thanks for ML – I`m realy excited since I`ve found this homepage!!!
You can forget about codecs, at lest in the near future. With ML the 50D shoots 1080p at 30fps and 640x480 at 30fps, you can sort of change the fps with fps override.
For RAW, a 1000x cf card is a must, and you can shoot in full 1080p HD in cropped mode and in full sensor at 1584x1058 both in 24fps. The max write speed achieved at this time is 81MB/s.
If you want a canon camera for raw, you should buy nothing but the 5Dmk2/3 or the 50D.

Supermac

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help in getting me up and running. Check out the results from my low light test below.

All the clips were taken from the same 7 minute video and adjusted seperately in post.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: dogmydog on July 17, 2013, 11:41:56 PM
Thanks to the awesome help of you all, I present my results on vimeo.
Dude... RAW is amazing.

Great job on your first video dogmydog.. the only thing that I can see is there seems to be something odd with the cadence, or motion.  I believe that your timeline was set to 30fps instead of 24fps.   

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Supermac on July 18, 2013, 03:47:30 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for all your help in getting me up and running. Check out the results from my low light test below.

All the clips were taken from the same 7 minute video and adjusted seperately in post.

Great video Supermac.. very little noise present. 

D.L. Watson

Hey folks! Tested the 2K RAW in 5X mode and I'm getting over 5,000 frames of recording time with my Komputer Bay CF card.

Does anyone have a tutorial or have some knowledge about how to confidently frame your shot using 5X mode? I'm having trouble knowing exactly what I'm shooting and I don't like flying blind.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

djfremen

Quote from: D.L. Watson on July 18, 2013, 07:53:31 AM
Hey folks! Tested the 2K RAW in 5X mode and I'm getting over 5,000 frames

What specific resolution did you get and what MB/s?

My KomputerBay at 1050x 128GB is coming Monday. Can't wait to see if I can break the 81 MB/s speed barrier.

Andy600

The latest 50D Magic Lantern and Tragic Lantern 2.0 builds are up:-

Magic Lantern Unified  - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads

Tragic Lantern 2.0 - https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Extensive guide hopefully coming this weekend if I can find the time to finish it.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

leojames

]Here is some footage shot with 12,800 ISO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfI-UWyHQuw

used ACW to take out the noise

1%

The ADTG shutters should give you a bigger range than 1/110 now.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: D.L. Watson on July 18, 2013, 07:53:31 AM
Hey folks! Tested the 2K RAW in 5X mode and I'm getting over 5,000 frames of recording time with my Komputer Bay CF card.

Does anyone have a tutorial or have some knowledge about how to confidently frame your shot using 5X mode? I'm having trouble knowing exactly what I'm shooting and I don't like flying blind.

Looks really good great job What exact build did you use?  What settings did you use?  I can only get a few seconds @ 2K Raw

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on July 18, 2013, 03:21:43 PM

Great work 1% is it implemented in the new Unified build, or the new Tragic build?

v1rt

Need some tips about settings. When I record video on my 50D, I just make sure the white balance and exposure is right. I also make sure that my setting is at Manual setting. This means, I'll be adjusting iso, aperture and shutter. However, I don't pay attention to the shutter value but I think it's something I need to be concerned about. When I was looking at each dng files, I noticed some are blurry. I was thinking that maybe my shutter had a small value. Am I right that when I shoot, I should aim for at least 1/80 or more to minimize blurriness? I'm also aware that I should increase iso to suck more light but I'm also aware that image quality will be affected(more noise).

What do you think folks?

riccardocovino

@v1rt

shutter speed is mandatory for having a natural look of your images.
what you call "blurry" frames is the motion blur, and is not a problem, it's a requirment if you want the images to be similar to what a human eye would perceive.

so, first rule is that shutter speed has to be costant in your clips.

second rule is that it should be double the frame rate you choose

24 fps -> 1/48
25 fps -> 1/50
30 fps -> 1/60

this rule can be broken if you have extremely fast action scenes, where blurriness would make the picture too confused.
Only in these you can go up at a maximum of double the values explained before.

So, in general, don't try to minimize blur because that's what makes the images look natural!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

v1rt

Quote from: riccardocovino on July 18, 2013, 06:14:17 PM
@v1rt

shutter speed is mandatory for having a natural look of your images.
what you call "blurry" frames is the motion blur, and is not a problem, it's a requirment if you want the images to be similar to what a human eye would perceive.

so, first rule is that shutter speed has to be costant in your clips.

second rule is that it should be double the frame rate you choose

24 fps -> 1/48
25 fps -> 1/50
30 fps -> 1/60

this rule can be broken if you have extremely fast action scenes, where blurriness would make the picture too confused.
Only in these you can go up at a maximum of double the values explained before.

So, in general, don't try to minimize blur because that's what makes the images look natural!

Awesome! I'm going to try this tonight!

Btw, what is the difference between Gregory Of Manhattan Build and Tragic Lantern? What features or improvements is it on each build? Which build do you prefer folks?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: djfremen on July 18, 2013, 08:45:29 AM
What specific resolution did you get and what MB/s?

My KomputerBay at 1050x 128GB is coming Monday. Can't wait to see if I can break the 81 MB/s speed barrier.

Right now, I'm recording 2000x835 in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio. I'm not sure what my MB/s is - all I know is I can basically record more than what I need. The 32gig goes quick though.

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 18, 2013, 04:42:18 PM
Looks really good great job What exact build did you use?  What settings did you use?  I can only get a few seconds @ 2K Raw

Using the July 10th Nightly Build. Shutter 1/48th. 24fps. Raw recorded in the 2.39:1 ratio - global draw turned off, with the ML Grayscale for the live-view during recording, and between ISO -100 through 1600. Hacked settings turned on.

Thanks for watching!
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on July 18, 2013, 03:21:43 PM

Confirmed :)

Shutter works from (roughly) 60 to 359 degrees now.

I think this should be pushed to Unified.

ultramaze

Really wanting to know how to setup the 50d with the 5x crop mode properly. Is there no possible way to view what is actually being recorded? I need to be able to view correct framing.

araucaria

Quote from: ultramaze on July 19, 2013, 01:09:37 AM
Really wanting to know how to setup the 50d with the 5x crop mode properly. Is there no possible way to view what is actually being recorded? I need to be able to view correct framing.
You could make marks around the camera screen to show the crop boundries in relation to the fullsensor mode.