50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: araucaria on July 15, 2013, 04:21:38 PM
I just tried with a horrible false color shot and it gets rid of it perfectly, also it looks like it got more resolution.
I will use this for the problematic shots!

;D Great to hear.. I'm gonna have to give it a test drive.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: kazumichi on July 15, 2013, 04:28:59 PM
Hi, Sorry to bother, new  - my first post on ML forums...(just started RAW video on my 50d)
I have a 50d like you, its in as new condition... running a Transcend 32gb UDMA7 1000x card...
It seems to be dropping out and stopping after like 200 frames at 1280x720 and even less at the 1472x828 bigger resolution.
Do you have similar issues? Maybe my new card is buggy? or maybe try a better name brand like Lexar etc?
Any tips would be amazing, thank you. I am keen to get it all going smooth as I am ken to then get it set up on a 5dmk2 etc
thanks
toby kazumcihi.

I don't know too much about the Transcend 32gb UDMA7 1000x card..  but the most important question would what "Build" are you using with your 50D (Gregory's / 1% / Andy600) Let me know than I can point you in the right direction. 

goldenchild9to5

50D is an awesome camera glad your using it now.  First of all that card you using (133X) is way too slow to handle Continuous Raw Recording.  Get yourself a Komputerbay 64GB card that, that card is a goto card for Raw recording from the 50D all the way up to the 5D Mark III.  About your power button, or switch not turning off the camera I think that's a hardware problem, not software you should probably take it to a camera shop to get it looked at.  Here is a simple test does it turn off when your not running Magic Lantern?

AnotherTim

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 15, 2013, 05:44:41 PM
50D is an awesome camera glad your using it now.  First of all that card you using (133X) is way too slow to handle Continuous Raw Recording.  Get yourself a Komputerbay 64GB card that, that card is a goto card for Raw recording from the 50D all the way up to the 5D Mark III.  About your power button, or switch not turning off the camera I think that's a hardware problem, not software you should probably take it to a camera shop to get it looked at.  Here is a simple test does it turn off when your not running Magic Lantern?
Thanks for the reply, the card is just what came with the camera till i get my Komputerbay card. But what's with the speed I reported, is my math wrong & where?

akumiszcza

Quote from: AnotherTim on July 15, 2013, 04:32:27 PM
I finally got little bit of time to try out my 50d (just to make sure I hadn't bought a dud). I'm trying to work out what data rate I shot. My .RAW file is 215.2 MB and i shot 87 frames what is the data rate? My math puts that at 74MB/s but I shot it on a 133x card that came with the camera, am I missing something? I'm using 11th July unified.

It depends on your frame rate. For 30 fps it's 74 MB/s, for 24 fps it's 59 MB/s I think. But, the camera has internal memory and can handle some frames before writing them on the card. So you can have some seconds of high resolution video even on a slow card. If your card was fast enough, the video recording would be continuous.

AnotherTim

Quote from: akumiszcza on July 15, 2013, 08:24:54 PM
It depends on your frame rate. For 30 fps it's 74 MB/s, for 24 fps it's 59 MB/s I think. But, the camera has internal memory and can handle some frames before writing them on the card. So you can have some seconds of high resolution video even on a slow card. If your card was fast enough, the video recording would be continuous.

Aha! that's the answer. It was 30fps & 74MB/s is what I got. Can't wait to shoot for real & get active on the forum. I've been lurking since about page 5!

@GoldenChild9to5
The buttons along the bottom don't work at all, from before ML, but ML & Raw works, that'll do for playing, if things get serious I'll get another one/repair.

Thanks, Akumiszcza & GoldenChild

also: ML team is AWESOME!

BartvR

In which framerate records the 50d in raw video? 24fps? And is it adjustable? I'm using the 9june build

rommex

Hey people,

I was shooting today a test shoot with my 50D for a commercial. I'm pretty amazed with images and this is a good start.

But once I overlooked the size of a clip and it got split into 2 parts.

I remember that some 20-30 pages back someone was explaining how to stitch them with some hex editor.... If anyone can help to find that spot, I'll be gratefull. Search on the forum didn't help (

Thanks!

akumiszcza

Quote from: rommex on July 15, 2013, 10:04:22 PM
[...]
But once I overlooked the size of a clip and it got split into 2 parts.
I remember that some 20-30 pages back someone was explaining how to stitch them with some hex editor.... If anyone can help to find that spot, I'll be gratefull. Search on the forum didn't help (

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.msg39968#msg39968 et al.

mjstudio

Lads, today I tried shooting with 100mm L lens and the IS is not working. Any ideas?

johansugarev

mjstudio, it's a known issue. Raw recording is done while Live View is idle (at least on the canon firmware side). When it's not taking a picture or a video, IS is off to preserve battery life.
I guess they'll fix it in the future.

mjstudio

Quote from: johansugarev on July 16, 2013, 12:29:25 AM
mjstudio, it's a known issue. Raw recording is done while Live View is idle (at least on the canon firmware side).
You're right, but at the same time it works well on 5dmkII
Fingers crossed!

dogmydog

I'm about to give up shooting raw with my 50d :(
All I get are pink corrupted frames. ALL of them. It's really frustrating.

An example:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vv7xtg

My setup:
Canon 50D with 10-22mm lenses
Sandisk Extreme 16GB 60mb/s and Transcend 16GB 1000x UDMA
Magic Lantern 2.35 stable build
magiclantern-2013Jul11.50D.109.go.unified.5db91070a1aa for RAW video
All settings reset to default, no HTP, GD off

I'm using the workflow by cantsin
(source: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3059-canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-review/)

"Format your CF card in the camera, take it out and put it into the card reader of your computer
Download the current stable, unified 2.3.5 MagicLantern release from http://www.magiclantern.fm/download
Download the most current development snapshot for 50D raw video recording either from https://bitbucket.or...tern/downloads/ (Gregory's 50D Magic Lantern tree) or from https://bitbucket.or...tl50d/downloads (1%'s TragicLantern tree)
Create a folder for the Magic Lantern files on your computer
Unzip the downloaded archive of the stable Magic Lantern release into that folder - and trash the file "autoexec.bin" + the folder "ML"
Unzip the 50D development snapshot into that same folder - after which "autoexec.bin" and the "ML" should be visible again.
In this folder, you should now see a number of files ending with ".fir", the manuals "INSTALL.pdf" and "Userguide.PDF", "autoexec.bin" and the folder "ML".
Copy "autoexec.bin", "ML" and "50D-109.fir" onto your CF card (that still rests in the card reader of your computer).
Cleanly unmount/eject the CF card via the software menu of your operating system and put it into your camera.
Make sure that you have a fully charged, preferably original Canon battery inside your camera.
Switch on the camera. Press the "Menu" button (on the upper left), go to the third  (olive-colored) menu with the tool icon, go to the "Firmware" entry, press the button and run the Firmware update.
Wait for all installation messages till you get the message that it is safe to switch off the camera. Switch off the camera.
Switch it on again, wait a few seconds, and press the trashcan button on the lower left to enter the MagicLantern menu.
With the joystick, navigate into the menu with the video camera. Scroll down and adjust the entries with the big scroll wheel.
Activate the entry "REC key: HalfShutter".
Scroll down to the very bottom to the submenu "RAW video". Activate this option. Then press the "Func" button on the lower left to enter its option menu.
Start with conservative settings/low video resolutions (like 640x480) first. Activate the entry "Small Hacks".
Press the trashcan button to leave the Magic Lantern menu.
Press the Live View button on the upper left (next to "Menu") to enter LiveView. If this does not work, activate LiveView in the normal configuration menu of the camera (in the second olive tool menu).
If Live View is working, adjust shutter speed and aperture (if you are using a modern Canon lens) by pressing the trashcan button and going in the first submenu of Magic Lantern. Press the trashcan icon once you are done.
In Live View, half depress the normal camera release. You now see an indication that raw video is being recorded. Stop by pressing the release again.
When you are done, switch off the camera, copy the files ending with ".raw" from the DCIM folder of the CF card to your computer, use a program like RawMagic for Mac OS X (http://www.magiclant...hp?topic=6218.0) or ... (don't what is the recommended Windows solution at the moment, so I better leave this blank) to transform the files into Cinema DNG sequences, then grade/transform with your favorite raw conversion/grading tool (AE, Lightroom, Resolve...). "

Can anyone help me plz?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

akumiszcza

mjstudio, it's a known issue. Raw recording is done while Live View is idle (at least on the canon firmware side). When it's not taking a picture or a video, IS is off to preserve battery life.

I was recording raw video with IS working on my 17-55/2.8 at least (I think I didn't check other lenses). All I had to do was keeping shutter half-pressed during recording.

Andy600

Quote from: dogmydog on July 16, 2013, 06:33:04 AM
[spoiler]
An example:

My setup:
Canon 50D with 10-22mm lenses
Sandisk Extreme 16GB 60mb/s and Transcend 16GB 1000x UDMA
Magic Lantern 2.35 stable build
magiclantern-2013Jul11.50D.109.go.unified.5db91070a1aa for RAW video
All settings reset to default, no HTP, GD off

I'm using the workflow by cantsin
(source: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3059-canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-review/)

"Format your CF card in the camera, take it out and put it into the card reader of your computer
Download the current stable, unified 2.3.5 MagicLantern release from http://www.magiclantern.fm/download
Download the most current development snapshot for 50D raw video recording either from https://bitbucket.or...tern/downloads/ (Gregory's 50D Magic Lantern tree) or from https://bitbucket.or...tl50d/downloads (1%'s TragicLantern tree)
Create a folder for the Magic Lantern files on your computer
Unzip the downloaded archive of the stable Magic Lantern release into that folder - and trash the file "autoexec.bin" + the folder "ML"
Unzip the 50D development snapshot into that same folder - after which "autoexec.bin" and the "ML" should be visible again.
In this folder, you should now see a number of files ending with ".fir", the manuals "INSTALL.pdf" and "Userguide.PDF", "autoexec.bin" and the folder "ML".
Copy "autoexec.bin", "ML" and "50D-109.fir" onto your CF card (that still rests in the card reader of your computer).
Cleanly unmount/eject the CF card via the software menu of your operating system and put it into your camera.
Make sure that you have a fully charged, preferably original Canon battery inside your camera.
Switch on the camera. Press the "Menu" button (on the upper left), go to the third  (olive-colored) menu with the tool icon, go to the "Firmware" entry, press the button and run the Firmware update.
Wait for all installation messages till you get the message that it is safe to switch off the camera. Switch off the camera.
Switch it on again, wait a few seconds, and press the trashcan button on the lower left to enter the MagicLantern menu.
With the joystick, navigate into the menu with the video camera. Scroll down and adjust the entries with the big scroll wheel.
Activate the entry "REC key: HalfShutter".
Scroll down to the very bottom to the submenu "RAW video". Activate this option. Then press the "Func" button on the lower left to enter its option menu.
Start with conservative settings/low video resolutions (like 640x480) first. Activate the entry "Small Hacks".
Press the trashcan button to leave the Magic Lantern menu.
Press the Live View button on the upper left (next to "Menu") to enter LiveView. If this does not work, activate LiveView in the normal configuration menu of the camera (in the second olive tool menu).
If Live View is working, adjust shutter speed and aperture (if you are using a modern Canon lens) by pressing the trashcan button and going in the first submenu of Magic Lantern. Press the trashcan icon once you are done.
In Live View, half depress the normal camera release. You now see an indication that raw video is being recorded. Stop by pressing the release again.
When you are done, switch off the camera, copy the files ending with ".raw" from the DCIM folder of the CF card to your computer, use a program like RawMagic for Mac OS X (http://www.magiclant...hp?topic=6218.0) or ... (don't what is the recommended Windows solution at the moment, so I better leave this blank) to transform the files into Cinema DNG sequences, then grade/transform with your favorite raw conversion/grading tool (AE, Lightroom, Resolve...). "
[/spoiler]

Can anyone help me plz?

Did you get this from EOSHD forums? Read my comment under Cantsin's reply.

What card are you using? Slower cards tend to corrupt data.

Try deleting your config file (magic.cfg) and try again. If you're still getting the problem try another build.

I'm nearly finished writing a proper guide for the 50d ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

LEVISDAVIS

I too am getting IS to work when half-pressing the shutter button during recording... Wonder if it can be implemented without pressing shutter?
Levi S. Davis

mjstudio

Quote from: akumiszcza on July 16, 2013, 07:37:50 AM
I was recording raw video with IS working on my 17-55/2.8 at least (I think I didn't check other lenses). All I had to do was keeping shutter half-pressed during recording.

akumiszcza you're the man! Thank you so much!

akumiszcza

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on July 16, 2013, 11:00:31 AM
I too am getting IS to work when half-pressing the shutter button during recording... Wonder if it can be implemented without pressing shutter?

There is an option for that in ML menu, but it doesn't work. So it's probably not implemented on 50D yet.

dhallowell19

Quote from: dogmydog on July 16, 2013, 06:33:04 AM

An example:

I'm having good luck with the 50D -- let me mention a few places where my workflow differs from your list:
-I install the unified ML build on the camera (firmware update step) before bringing the RAW devt build into the picture.
You say you replace the unified build ML folder with one from a development build, then do the whole ML install.  I have seen situations where it was necessary to simply add the devt ML/MODULES folder, keeping other content that had been in the original ML.
- I set the FPS override to 24 (you don't mention that)
- I set the Exp Override ON

Not sure if there's any help there, but I'm mentioning those for completeness as you consider potential causes.

crash-film

hi!

back again. found some time to test 50Ds low light capabilities.   see video description for details.

i´m also refining my post workflow (see: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6683.msg53727#msg53727 )
for your moiré needs with ACR see: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6242.msg54704#msg54704

i also tested rawtherapee  a few weeks ago. the different debayering methods are amazing. the tone mapping function is also very interesting.
but it is very slooooow and crashes from time to time.
rawtherapee+gpu raw encoding would be great.... and they´re working on it!

dogmydog

Quote from: Andy600 on July 16, 2013, 09:47:51 AM
Did you get this from EOSHD forums? Read my comment under Cantsin's reply.

What card are you using? Slower cards tend to corrupt data.

Try deleting your config file (magic.cfg) and try again. If you're still getting the problem try another build.

I'm nearly finished writing a proper guide for the 50d ;)

Ty for the help, Andy!
I'm using the Sandisk 16 GB 60mb/s and Transcend 16GB 1000x.

I formated both cards several times and got similar results, specially with videos over 1 or 2min.
I also tried the Tragic Lantern, with no luck either.

Looking foward to read ur guide :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dogmydog

Quote from: dhallowell19 on July 16, 2013, 12:05:32 PM
I'm having good luck with the 50D -- let me mention a few places where my workflow differs from your list:
-I install the unified ML build on the camera (firmware update step) before bringing the RAW devt build into the picture.
You say you replace the unified build ML folder with one from a development build, then do the whole ML install.  I have seen situations where it was necessary to simply add the devt ML/MODULES folder, keeping other content that had been in the original ML.
- I set the FPS override to 24 (you don't mention that)
- I set the Exp Override ON

Not sure if there's any help there, but I'm mentioning those for completeness as you consider potential causes.

Thx for the help, dhallowell19!
- What i do is copying the whole ML 2.35 stable build into the card (after formating in the camera) and then overwriting the content with the development build (autoexec bin and modules folder). I don't understand what you mean by doing the whole ML install. Can you try to explain it again plz? Sorry for the trouble :(
- I set the FPS override to 23.976 (maybe thats the issue?). I'll try 24 :D
- When I turn on Small Hacks, it kills the Exposure Sim (I see the item ticked on my screen). Can I turn it off on another setting?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Andy600

Quote from: dogmydog on July 16, 2013, 02:43:13 PM
Ty for the help, Andy!
I'm using the Sandisk 16 GB 60mb/s and Transcend 16GB 1000x.

I formated both cards several times and got similar results, specially with videos over 1 or 2min.
I also tried the Tragic Lantern, with no luck either.

Looking foward to read ur guide :)

Do you get the same issues when recording lower resolutions? or when recording shots under 4gb?

I just don't get these problems TBH. You could try my latest build of Tragic Lantern https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads if you haven't already.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dogmydog

Quote from: Andy600 on July 16, 2013, 02:54:19 PM
Do you get the same issues when recording lower resolutions? or when recording shots under 4gb?

I just don't get these problems TBH. You could try my latest build of Tragic Lantern https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads if you haven't already.

At shots under 4gb, it all works fine. But that doesn't help me since i need to record stuff at least two minutes long.
If your build doesn't work, I'll try at resolutions under 1584x960.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D