50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsManning

Quote from: dsManning on July 01, 2013, 03:09:22 PM
I also tried to Magic Lantern Controller app for Android which does not work for me now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.sztupy.android.mlcontroller&hl=en

I remember trying this on an earlier RAW build (sadly don't remember which, but at least 2 weeks back) and I did have LiveView showing on my tablet using this app. 

Any chance someone else out there could test to see if LiveView over USB is working for them?  Easiest way to test would be EOS Utility if you have it installed on your computer.  Wanting to get this set up before a shoot next weekend and I'd rather not rent a HDMI monitor when I already own a very capable 7" tablet.

Off to dig through my downloads folder to test some old builds on my backup card to see what will work.  Sadly I'm no code expert, so I'm no help in finding it there. Maybe if I can find a working build a smarter up could help me compare?

EDIT: So I jumped back to one of the unified builds.  ml-2013Jun18.50D.109.go.unified.d55f33a1d395 to be exact.  No issue with LiveView in EOS Utility. Going to move forward and try to find where it was broken.

NEW EDIT:  So it turns out after a few tests with quite a few builds, that LiveView works just fine with MagicLantern, until you enable RAW video.  What I was running as my daily driver, I had my modules autostart which led me to believe it was the new builds that broke LiveView.  When you install a new build (or old while I was testing back) the modules are usually set to not load at start.  So with no RAW video enabled, LiveView works  :-\

Thanks

Sorry to harp on this, but it seems a 5d3 user has liveview working with RAW video on an Android tablet.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7054.msg58951#msg58951

Does anyone using the 50D have a 5D2 as well to help me with some testing?  Seeing as a good amount of hardware is the same in the two, I'd like to know if the 5D2 works and compare to the 5D3 from there.

KahL

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 14, 2013, 05:54:36 AM
You mean by changing ISO's from ML ISO window?  or its something else?

No, they're the specific magic lantern ISO values (rather than the Canon default ISO adjustments) where you can add + or - values. They're used to decrease noise in the darks w/o compromising the highlights (such as through HL tone priority). It usually works, but in VIDEO. I'm unsure if they have an effect, if any at all in RAW frame recording.

LEVISDAVIS

Someone mentioned that the Canon 5OD does work with an Android tablet. However, there are some strange circumstances with the way it works... Might want to do a quick research through the past five pages or so... I kind of considered this option too... However, the limitations made using an HDMI monitor far more user friendly, in my opinion...
Levi S. Davis

jhnkng

Quote from: 1% on July 14, 2013, 04:21:52 AM
With GD off?

Hi 1%, GD was on... I vaguely remember GD being an issue in previous builds but I thought that was all fixed? I kinda rely on the crop overlay because the box showing where the recording area is doesn't work properly when using an external monitor.

I'll test again with global draw off and report back details, but I think going back to the 80point1 build works best for me.

Thanks!

jgerstel

Kermis Best 2013

Camera: Canon 50D with Kowa 8Z anamorphic lens
Recording: RAW recording using magic lantern June 28 build
Workflow: RawMagic - ACR - FCP-X
Original DNG resolution: 1344 x 1058 color depth 14Bit
Kowa Anamorphic ratio is 2:1, so after conversion resolution will be 2688 x 1058
Sound: Zoom H2N 4 channel surround

http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2200_00236.jpg
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2224_00341.jpg
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2225_00594.jpg
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2244_00057.jpg

dsManning

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on July 14, 2013, 08:40:46 AM
Someone mentioned that the Canon 5OD does work with an Android tablet. However, there are some strange circumstances with the way it works... Might want to do a quick research through the past five pages or so... I kind of considered this option too... However, the limitations made using an HDMI monitor far more user friendly, in my opinion...

Yup.... That was me quoting me.... I've done the testing already to show RAW breaks LV on the 50D.  Just trying to make it conversation again, because it seems that the 5D3 has RAW LV, while the 50D does not.

1%

GD on can pink frame older cameras, + do what you see. I do the best of both worlds and turn it off while recording. You can try reducing the # of indicators, check CPU usage see how high it is. 20-30% may be ok, 60-90% will probably give you bad frames.

I have later builds too, lol.

For the LV in dslr controller, etc. Does 50D even support this function without raw? Its pretty old, I'd compare with 5DII.

Andy600

Quote from: jgerstel on July 14, 2013, 02:49:39 PM
Kermis Best 2013

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Camera: Canon 50D with Kowa 8Z anamorphic lens
Recording: RAW recording using magic lantern June 28 build
Workflow: RawMagic - ACR - FCP-X
Original DNG resolution: 1344 x 1058 color depth 14Bit
Kowa Anamorphic ratio is 2:1, so after conversion resolution will be 2688 x 1058, scaled to 1920 x 917 in FCP export
Sound: Zoom H2N 4 channel surround

Download original here: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/95ba4b144f5ad4aa540ecfbbe54b40ca20130714110657/5283384a9f6b65f817e29c13dceea58320130714110657/b0d081

Looks great but I think you forgot to conform your footage? Did you shoot with FPS Override on? I downloaded the original and it plays back at 30p and looks a little fast
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

I'm used to seeing a bit of aliasing and moire and usually avoid shots where it will happen but I decided to test how bad it can be.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The woman's top is alive with a maze pattern and I often see this in highlights when I push them. Is this sensor fixed pattern noise?

Also getting sprinkles here and there.

As I say, I tend to avoid this kind of shot or shoot with a shallower DOF
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

a1ex

Try a better demosaicing algorithm.

1%

Yea, I get those on 6D depending on what I use to convert. So they aren't AF "helper" related? They like following edges too.

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on July 14, 2013, 05:17:20 PM
Try a better demosaicing algorithm.

I would if I knew how  ;D

a1ex

Nope, these are demosaic artifacts. Try AMaZE or DCB (rawtherapee has them).

edit: found a comparison: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4139/4826692002_b975d1b5db_o.jpg

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on July 14, 2013, 05:21:13 PM
Nope, these are demosaic artifacts. Try AMaZE or DCB (rawtherapee has them).

edit: found a comparison: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4139/4826692002_b975d1b5db_o.jpg

So its down to whatever app you use to convert to DNG/CDNG? Doh, ignore that

1%

rockfallfilms

@Andy600

Here's your jpg processed through ACR. It's removed most of the smaller moire artifacts but the woman's shirt is too far gone. Also I suspect there will still be a fair amount of aliasing/flickering left over in the motion version.

Did you process in Resolve?

Andy600

AMaZE works great on this shot.

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on July 14, 2013, 06:01:14 PM
@Andy600

...Here's your jpg processed through ACR. It's removed most of the smaller moire artifacts but the woman's shirt is too far gone. Also I suspect there will still be a fair amount of aliasing/flickering left over in the motion version.

Did you process in Resolve?

Yes, processed in Resolve. I must remember to add that to Resolve feature requests.

Just tried Rawtherapee (for the first time) and it cleaned up nicely. The mosaic pattern is all but gone using AMaZE. I guess I need to refine my pre-Resolve workflow but sucks that Rawtherapee can't output DNG. If it's not one thing it's another!  ;D

rockfallfilms

Yeah there's no solution that's perfect at the moment. Maybe Resolve 10 will offer debayer improvements.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on July 14, 2013, 06:11:20 PM
Yes, processed in Resolve. I must remember to add that to Resolve feature requests.

Just tried Rawtherapee (for the first time) and it cleaned up nicely. The mosaic pattern is all but gone using AMaZE. I guess I need to refine my pre-Resolve workflow but sucks that Rawtherapee can't output DNG. If it's not one thing it's another!  ;D

That's awesome Andy I've been getting those patterns as well but couldn't find a real solution.  Does it also take out edge (Fringing) from leaves?  What output formats does Rawtherapee have?

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 14, 2013, 07:02:57 PM
That's awesome Andy I've been getting those patterns as well but couldn't find a real solution.  Does it also take out edge (Fringing) from leaves?  What output formats does Rawtherapee have?

Jpeg, PNG and Tiff from what I can see. I have only just installed it so I don't know exactly but it looks like it has a full compliment of tools for NR, fixing CA etc. For me it's not really a viable option for daily use because I don't want to work with huge TIFF files and need the exposure control I have with DNG/CDNG in Resolve. It will be useful for the shots where I have issues though... and it's free :)

jgerstel

Quote from: Andy600 on July 14, 2013, 04:23:09 PM
Looks great but I think you forgot to conform your footage? Did you shoot with FPS Override on? I downloaded the original and it plays back at 30p and looks a little fast

Yes you are right, I shot at 24 fps in the 50D and somehow in the conversion it has been set to 30. I corrected and reposted, Thanks!

araucaria

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 14, 2013, 07:02:57 PM
I just tried with a horrible false color shot and it gets rid of it perfectly, also it looks like it got more resolution.
I will use this for the problematic shots!

kazumichi

Hi, Sorry to bother, new  - my first post on ML forums...(just started RAW video on my 50d)
I have a 50d like you, its in as new condition... running a Transcend 32gb UDMA7 1000x card...
It seems to be dropping out and stopping after like 200 frames at 1280x720 and even less at the 1472x828 bigger resolution.
Do you have similar issues? Maybe my new card is buggy? or maybe try a better name brand like Lexar etc?
Any tips would be amazing, thank you. I am keen to get it all going smooth as I am ken to then get it set up on a 5dmk2 etc
thanks
toby kazumcihi.

Quote from: JulianH on May 25, 2013, 05:39:59 PM
Managed to trade my old 5D for the 50D and cash :)

I got raw recording working. Did a benchmark of Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95MB/s in live view, but it doesn't seem to close the benchmark properly. I can't seem to find a log of bmp of the results. Where should it be?

Maximum seems to be around 50MB/s for continuous recording (with my card).

My results (how can I determine exactly at which frame skipping starts?):
Shot at 24 fps (didn't find a setting for 23.975..)

1592x1062 - frame skipping after about 50 frames (67.7MB/s)
1592x840 - frame skipping after about 480 frames (53.5MB/s)
1592x720 - no frame skipping (44.3MB/s)

1320x1062 - frame skipping after about 300 frames (56.1MB/s)
1320x960 - frame skipping after about 1200 frames (50.7MB/s)
1320x840 - no frame skipping (44.3MB/s)

1280x1062 - frame skipping after about 250 frames (54.4 MB/s)
1280x960 - no frame skipping (49.2MB/s)

The 50D did crash 2 times during my tests. Think it happened just after I pressed recording. Nothing happened, screen would stay on, had to take the battery out.

Big thanks to all of you amazing people making this possible. Shooting raw video on a 5 year old dslr... it's still hard to believe!  ;D

AnotherTim

I need to borrow your brains.

I finally got little bit of time to try out my 50d (just to make sure I hadn't bought a dud). I'm trying to work out what data rate I shot. My .RAW file is 215.2 MB and i shot 87 frames what is the data rate? My math puts that at 74MB/s but I shot it on a 133x card that came with the camera, am I missing something? I'm using 11th July unified.

Also my camera won't turn off, the on/off switch does nothing, any ideas?