50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsManning

Nice video simulacro.  I like your still composition for quite a few of the shots.  Your exposure and dynamic range look pretty good.  Watch a few videos for Resolve tutorials to really pull some colours.  The waveform scope has become my new best friend.  Hitting ⌘D to show before and after, even just after expanding my colour range in Resolve, shows a world of difference.

Good video & Good luck

johansugarev

Can I have a moment to share a quick suggestion?
Since I get more frames when shooting in JPEG mode, rather than RAW mode (in Canon Menu), when I shoot video I change the mode. But then I want to take a picture, so I do. Only on the computer I realise that I forget to turn the mode to RAW again.
I know about the bad settings warning feature in ML, but when I use it it constantly blinks when I shoot raw video.

So is there a way to maybe make the camera switch to JPEG when RAW video is enabled, and then switch back to RAW? Or maybe desable the bad settings warning when RAW video is enabled?

1%

The latter might be the best idea.

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on July 11, 2013, 08:32:12 PM
Can I have a moment to share a quick suggestion?
Since I get more frames when shooting in JPEG mode, rather than RAW mode (in Canon Menu), when I shoot video I change the mode. But then I want to take a picture, so I do. Only on the computer I realise that I forget to turn the mode to RAW again.
I know about the bad settings warning feature in ML, but when I use it it constantly blinks when I shoot raw video.

So is there a way to maybe make the camera switch to JPEG when RAW video is enabled, and then switch back to RAW? Or maybe desable the bad settings warning when RAW video is enabled?

Why not just use C1 or C2 for raw video and the other modes for photos?  ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

johansugarev

Thought of that and just did it. Let's hope I don't forget again.

simulacro

Quote from: dsManning on July 11, 2013, 08:17:09 PM
Nice video simulacro.  I like your still composition for quite a few of the shots.  Your exposure and dynamic range look pretty good.  Watch a few videos for Resolve tutorials to really pull some colours.  The waveform scope has become my new best friend.  Hitting ⌘D to show before and after, even just after expanding my colour range in Resolve, shows a world of difference.

Good video & Good luck

Thanks dsManning. Unfortunately i can´t work with Resolve, I have an old 2008 macbook. Working with AE and premiere. Gonna check some Resolve tutorial to see if i can use some tips with camera raw and premiere

EOSHD

I have been shooting with the 50D, feel free to pixel peep this. Variety of modes - full sensor with anamorphic 1.5x, 2x and crop mode. I'm getting 1920x818 continuously in crop mode. 65MB/s seems to be my maximum. What do you have to turn off to get 80MB/s?

1%

Dialog refresh timer. Slowing it down only knocks the CPU down 80% of the way. Only down side is you have to toggle LV on/off to enable it if you need the canon menus to update.

R4dev

Hi everyone.
I've been following this thread for some time and am currently saving money for a 50D. I've had an idea for a while and would like to hear what you all think. Since crop mode outputs a higher resolution and is free of moire and aliasing, how about using some old c-mount lenses that would not otherwise cover the sensor? Like cheap cctv lenses or old 16mm camera glass? Wouldn't this be cheaper than buying a super-wide lens that will be cropped, in case you'd like to have something wider than tele or standard range? This way only the part that isn't covering the sensor will get cropped anyway. Of course it will varry from lens to lens, but do you think it could give good results? Would there be problems with focus because of c-mount to EOS adapters or any other problems you think might occur?

Danne

I have been thinking the same for a while. I think one problem is the reading from the sensor in crop mode being far to the left. C-mount lenses are smaller so there will be vignetting and black borders? The second problem is how to get a c-mount lens to fit infinity on an eos camera. Not sure if the distance won,t hit the mirror being to close to the sensor. Anyone?
So, my conclusion is that the lens would be put to the left and a bit closer to the sensor than the eos lenses. Could be wrong though...

cantsin

No chance - c-mount lenses only have 17.5 mm flange distance to the sensor. They would need to sit in the mirror box of the 50D in order to  focus beyond macro distance.

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: EOSHD on July 11, 2013, 11:56:27 PM
I have been shooting with the 50D, feel free to pixel peep this. Variety of modes - full sensor with anamorphic 1.5x, 2x and crop mode. I'm getting 1920x818 continuously in crop mode. 65MB/s seems to be my maximum. What do you have to turn off to get 80MB/s?

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 17, 2013, 01:53:22 AM
Update 26 June 2013 - there is a new "Small Hacks" feature in the raw_rec module.  in the Raw Rec Detail Menu enable Small Hacks.  50D builds hit 81MB/s for hundreds or more frames at 1920x1080 in crop/zoom mode only. The goal is 83/84 MB/s as this would permit continuous 1080p24 recording. 

on unified builds for many cameras the options are
Movie->Raw Video->Small Hacks

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/b77a85f7ac68098b219754d827fe2102fdbc5c38

EOSHD

Quote from: 1% on July 12, 2013, 12:00:31 AM
Dialog refresh timer. Slowing it down only knocks the CPU down 80% of the way. Only down side is you have to toggle LV on/off to enable it if you need the canon menus to update.

Edit: question answered by GregoryOfManhattan. Thanks

Edit2: using Andy600's compiled build https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: EOSHD on July 12, 2013, 01:23:08 AM
Edit: question answered by GregoryOfManhattan. Thanks

I must be using the wrong build, since Small Hacks don't show in the raw video menu. Which build shall I download from the Tragic Lantern directory?

hi EOSHD -
1% has been producing builds and developments to
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
and its critical that a significant group of users try those builds under his direction and report back issues.

based on the code which a1ex has integrated into unified, i put together builds for 50D at:
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads
these make it easier for me to use the exact same code on a 50D as well as a 5D3 and hopefully helps the community to ensure that unified works well on the 50D.

the big speed ups the past month have happened with variable buffering and much experimentation by a1ex and the "Small Hacks" that 1% discovered to slow down Canon dialog refresh and disable Canon AE and AutoWB.

hopefully its not too confusing that there are different code bases for this alpha stage software.
a1ex and 1% may use different terminology.
with either code base, at the moment and for weeks now, one can record at 1920x1080p24 for 1000s of frames.
the instructions for the unified builds apply to all cameras - so what helps you achieve 1920x1080p24 on 50D gets you 2.2k on 5D3 and increases the number of frames at 3.5k.

several users have posted 50D 1920x1080p24 videos over the past 2 weeks with 80MB/s and more.

basically, as several users have asked - you don't get because you don't need 80MB/s for regular 1584x896p24 RAW video on the 50D - you only need 58MB/s
for 25p anamorphic shooters you could use 70MB/s for 1584x1058p25
with any of the recent builds "Small Hacks" enabled on unified - you should be able to shoot at
1584x1058p25.
i just did a test and have continuous recording at 1584x1058p25

please confirm that you can get that data rate and perhaps you could update your 11 July article as to the 65 MB/s limit.

robertgl

Quote from: funkysensation on July 10, 2013, 02:07:45 PM
I´m thinking about the 3x zoom mode.
Maybe it´s possible to use a B4 lens on the 50D with 3x zoom mode.
This is the theory
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cojSlCkZDkI/Udx5rn-AYxI/AAAAAAAAABc/P8gSubLisC4/s1600/crop_text.jpg
http://550draw.blogspot.com/
Theres a B4 to EOS adapter from ciecio I presume  - is 340$ on ebay  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I have three S16 arri bayonet lenses that I bet would look amazing in crop mode, but it would cost 300+$  to even test.
I guess i'll have to use them for film, or buy a BMPC or hope for a RAW video nikon V3

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: EOSHD on July 11, 2013, 11:56:27 PM

Andrew that's incredible footage right there.  Love the organic look of it, and it's really filmic, Like I said before I think the 50D is more filmic than the Mark III but that's just my opinion.  Great job man keep the 50D videos coming. 

Andy600

I'm writing a comprehensive '50d raw video set-up and shoot guide' which will encompass the additional features of Tragic Lantern 2.0. It should be ready within the next few days. I'll post links.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rue

Big thumbs up for this, Andy -  I have been following rather closely and tested especially Gregory's builds but have to admit that things moved pretty quick and it was quite easy to loose track ;-)

EOSHD

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 12, 2013, 02:02:21 AMplease confirm that you can get that data rate and perhaps you could update your 11 July article as to the 65 MB/s limit.

Thanks. Although I was using a build without Small Hacks enabled, I did mention in the article that 80MB/s speeds were possible with the latest experimental builds. I am testing your build now and will update the blog when I've had more shooting experience with it. Right now I can't get above 70MB/s but will carry on testing and see if I can get higher, using my KomputerBay 64GB 1000x card which does 100MB/s+ in the 5D3. Keep up the good work. It's very exciting stuff.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on July 12, 2013, 10:55:05 AM
I'm writing a comprehensive '50d raw video set-up and shoot guide' which will encompass the additional features of Tragic Lantern 2.0. It should be ready within the next few days. I'll post links.

That would be great for Newbies Andy.. by the way yesterday was testing your lastest build for some reason my camera heated up quickly that's the first time I got the Red overheating warning any thoughts on why this is occurring? 

araucaria

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 12, 2013, 04:22:22 PM
That would be great for Newbies Andy.. by the way yesterday was testing your lastest build for some reason my camera heated up quickly that's the first time I got the Red overheating warning any thoughts on why this is occurring?
Maybe it's the summer.

1%

50D gets really fcking hot. I only had the warning once though. I haven't gotten it when the display timer is killed... but I haven't been shooting in the 90F heat outside so ymmv

goldenchild9to5

Tested out both (Raw & JPEG) picture quality settings from Canon menu when shooting Raw but they both seem to output the same amount of (mb/s) your take @Gregoryofmanhattan @1% @Andy600 @EOSHD and to anybody else reading this.  I remember in the early stages of the Hack (JPEG) Picture Quality was the setting to put the 50D on, but it seems by putting it on (RAW) I'm getting a little more filmic cadence, or motion out of the picture. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on July 12, 2013, 04:46:20 PM
50D gets really fcking hot. I only had the warning once though. I haven't gotten it when the display timer is killed... but I haven't been shooting in the 90F heat outside so ymmv

Does the overheating effects the sensor after sometime?