50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermac

Okay so I'm running continuously at 1584 x 1056 which is exciting. I just need to squeeze a bit extra out for my focus peaking on Global Draw, is this possible? I'm using Gregory of Manhattens June 28th build, 32GB Komputerbay 1000x, small hack's on. Global draw just focus peaking activated.

Also when benchmarking do you load the RAW modules first? I'm getting about 75-80MB/s without them loaded and 45-50MB/s with them loaded. Does that sound right?

Sorry for the stupid questions, couldn't find the answers elsewhere.

Cheers

menoc

Quote from: artiswar on July 05, 2013, 12:33:24 PM
Would the CDNGs open in ACR and still be recognized by resolve?

I do it all in After Effects but that's how it should work. ACR modifies the dng files themselves but preserves the structure and format. So, you could reduce noise and defringe in ACR, hit OK to save the files, then import into Resolve. The changes from ACR should be preserved in Resolve.

1%

ACR modifies the files? It never did for me. I'm assuming its applying whatever you picked out to every image when you are previewing/rendering from AE.

I would think you need to do resolve first or just grade the video produced by AE. I can see it doing something like that if you batch through photoshop. Even then wouldn't the settings just get saved to the meta data like with light room, etc. I have ACR 8.1 and this is how it seems to work for me.

dsManning

Quote from: Supermac on July 05, 2013, 03:53:23 PM
Okay so I'm running continuously at 1584 x 1056 which is exciting. I just need to squeeze a bit extra out for my focus peaking on Global Draw, is this possible? I'm using Gregory of Manhattens June 28th build, 32GB Komputerbay 1000x, small hack's on. Global draw just focus peaking activated.

Found this posted somewhere on the forums.  If you can't use Focus Peaking (which is awesome btw) try using Cartoon Look 1 under Creative Effects.  Movie tab -> Creative Effects -> Cartoon Look -> Mode 1

This brings out the edges quite a bit more.  Of course, this does not write to the RAW file, so you're all good.  Not nearly as good as Focus Peaking, but a good alternative for finding edges if you can't get that squeeze.

Supermac

Quote from: dsManning on July 05, 2013, 05:28:54 PM
Found this posted somewhere on the forums.  If you can't use Focus Peaking (which is awesome btw) try using Cartoon Look 1 under Creative Effects.  Movie tab -> Creative Effects -> Cartoon Look -> Mode 1

This brings out the edges quite a bit more.  Of course, this does not write to the RAW file, so you're all good.  Not nearly as good as Focus Peaking, but a good alternative for finding edges if you can't get that squeeze.

Nice tip thanks.

menoc

Quote from: 1% on July 05, 2013, 05:12:08 PM
ACR modifies the files? It never did for me. I'm assuming its applying whatever you picked out to every image when you are previewing/rendering from AE.

I would think you need to do resolve first or just grade the video produced by AE. I can see it doing something like that if you batch through photoshop. Even then wouldn't the settings just get saved to the meta data like with light room, etc. I have ACR 8.1 and this is how it seems to work for me.

Well, I'm gonna test it . . .

ultramaze

ultramaze

Quote from: nightvision04 on July 04, 2013, 09:08:16 AM
Brilliant color! Did you use a Print LUT? Resolve?

At 0:05, I knew it was gonna be a mindblow.
thanks man! ya i used a print LUT in Resolve! just like you! i watched your tutorial on youtube and had to give it a try! thanks for sharing!

ultramaze

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on July 04, 2013, 08:13:36 PM
on 50D i'm seeing the Canon full color screen when in ML Grayscale until i hit record then it switches to grayscale.
(recent unified build)
Movie -> Raw Video -> Preview ->ML Grayscale
is this a bug? is this happening on the tragic builds from 1%?
also, the 50D ML grayscale is beautifully detailed in comparison to ML grayscale on 5D3.

note: for those PM'ing me about pink frames - you should not get pink frames in any recent build.
when the white point  (set in the exif) of the DNG is above the actual white level you will see a pink frame.
these bugs were fixed weeks ago.
do not be fooled by pink preview images.
if you have a DNG from a recent build which is pink when viewed in gimp or a commercial tool then that is a bug.
post the DNG image and build info to the forum.

@ultramaze thanks for the video - like the hand held vérité shots in the car - parthenon is not a bad place for a picnic. 8)
lol thanks! parthenon is a great place for a picnic!

ultramaze

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 04, 2013, 04:50:03 PM
Beautiful footage you making the 50D shine.  What was your workflow?  ACR into Davinci, or RawMagic straight into Davinci?  Did you use any sharpening?
RawMagic to Resolve to FCPX. No sharpening. I used a custon LUT I downloaded off the internet. Learned a lot from my friend Dan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Bg4E2SyRE

KahL

Wanted to share my latest piece using the 50D Raw (off of the June 28th build).
80% shot on raw, and slow mo pieces using 60D video.

It's becoming smoother using Davinci Resolve to start things off. The color matching gets a bit cluttered, but w/ a LOG export setup from the Raw sources, it streamlines things a bit.

ultramaze

Is there anyway to currently be able to view the screen during recording at 1:1 "zoom" mode? If I could see my framing and not have the like 5 fps lag I would be a very happy man.

riccardocovino

Quote from: KahL on July 06, 2013, 08:32:04 AM
Wanted to share my latest piece using the 50D Raw (off of the June 28th build).
80% shot on raw, and slow mo pieces using 60D video.

It's becoming smoother using Davinci Resolve to start things off. The color matching gets a bit cluttered, but w/ a LOG export setup from the Raw sources, it streamlines things a bit.

nice one!
how did you synch audio? did you have a clapboard?
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

timothycnz

Got to try out the 5x crop mode for filming birds today. Always thought the Full HD crop mode was the best kept secret killer feature of the 600D, so I'm really impressed with how well it works on the 50D. :)  Sure beats the 640x480 crop mode on the 550D.

It would be great if you could save presets for commonly used settings so you could quickly respond to different situations without getting bogged down with technicalities each time. I also keep wishing I could choose 'delete last video' or see thumbnails of raw videos on the camera since you can so easily end up with GB's of video you know you're going to have to delete on the computer later.

Used the sigma 70-200 at 200mm.

nightvision04

Quote from: ultramaze on July 06, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
Is there anyway to currently be able to view the screen during recording at 1:1 "zoom" mode? If I could see my framing and not have the like 5 fps lag I would be a very happy man.

Have you tried keeping global draw on?

The older build im using lets me frame in grayscale if you keep global draw on. I get 9 seconds with global draw on (for framing) and about 17 seconds with global draw off (without framing).
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

KahL

Quote from: riccardocovino on July 06, 2013, 10:30:12 AM
nice one!
how did you synch audio? did you have a clapboard?

Somewhat. I used the impromptu hand-clap method on site. I use that often for rushed shots alongside the recorders and it definitely helps.

rommex

Hey all,

I still have some strange behaviour in the latest unified builds:

When I adjust shutter speed in M mode, it does not change freely but at some point ISO starts changing. So I get 800eq while the top LCD shows 1600 ISO.

Will appreciate any tips.

ALSO, recently shot BMCC against 50D in terms of DR. Black Magic definitely wins, but not overwhelmingly. If anyone is interested I will post results.

godweeno

Please post these results BMCC vs 50D.  Can't wait to see how the pocket cinema camera shots are also compared to the 50D.

goldenchild9to5

Hey guy's just uploading a new 50D video.  This test was to simulate film working on a LUT. 

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: rommex on July 06, 2013, 02:14:26 PM
Hey all,

I still have some strange behaviour in the latest unified builds:

When I adjust shutter speed in M mode, it does not change freely but at some point ISO starts changing. So I get 800eq while the top LCD shows 1600 ISO.

Will appreciate any tips.
hi @rommex - did you have LiveView off?
with LiveView off - the shutter speed cannot be adjusted lower than 1/24 from the ML Exposure menu.
obviously, you can use the canon top main dial to adjust the shutter speed to any desired value.
i had to do this last night setting up a timelapse with LiveView off.

see discussion "Shutter speed, what am I missing"  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4055.0

Andy600

@Rommex - Is ETTR on? ML ISO values will usually override Canon values

BTW latest build of @1%'s Tragic Lantern is up if anyone wants to try it: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

QuoteWhen I adjust shutter speed in M mode, it does not change freely but at some point ISO starts changing. So I get 800eq while the top LCD shows 1600 ISO.

50D really lies about shutter. Those lower shutters are not possible in LV, in reality the camera is adjusting ISO to keep the expo sim "accurate". Turn on expo override for it to stop doing this.

menoc

Quote from: 1% on July 05, 2013, 05:12:08 PM

After running some tests, it is evident that Resolve does not see changes made to DNGs in ACR. Since Resolve Lite does not have Noise Remover Enabled, then most likely you'll have to choose one or the other as a post workflow. If you choose Resolve Lite, then you'll have to use a different method of noise reduction. see link below:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg57336#msg57336

rommex

Re: STRANGE SHUTTER SPEEDS

Thanks people for your fast replies.

Now, the LiveView was ON for sure.
I disabled ETTR module completely (basically I don't get the whole idea of auto adjustment of exposure components - they are valuable creative tools for me).
Exposure override was ON as I can remember.

I'm asking all this because there was no such problem in Build 28 May. At all I mean. I was setting shutter speed manually 1/50 or 1/8000 and I could tell from shooting a moving object  it WORKED.

1%

Those speeds are just gain.

Turn off movie recording. Now set a shutter like 32" with expo override on. It will get bright, turn down the aperture and look at the wonderful lines of noise on the screen.