50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vroem

Quote from: CFP on June 30, 2013, 02:02:06 PM
To answer my own question: Forget that.

I just understood that it is impossible because of the sensors's bayer pattern. It would result in a monochrome picture. The only usefull skipping values are 3 or 1 (No skipping). Looks like there is no way to increase the 1X mode resolution of any Canon DSLR. The only way I can imagine would be to combine 4 pixel to one cluster and skip clusters instead of pixels. But I doubt that this is possible and it might affect the image quality. Time to stop dreaming and be happy with what we have I guess ;D
In fact at least my 60D has another frame skipping algorithm, it's activated in 5x zoom mode: it skips 2 lines and keeps 3 consecutive lines. But apparently it gives bad aliasing. In general for line skipping to work, the rule is to consecutively skip multiples of 2 lines. You can then keep any amount of lines.

LukeJflowers

Any thoughts as to why the raw module will not let me record any resolution higher than 1500p on a LEXAR 1000x 128 gb card that has write speeds of 145mbs?

Rawolution

Quote from: LukeJflowers on July 02, 2013, 10:14:46 PM
Any thoughts as to why the raw module will not let me record any resolution higher than 1500p on a LEXAR 1000x 128 gb card that has write speeds of 145mbs?

In non crop mode we can record every 3rd line, hence 1528 pixels. In crop mode (zoom) we can do 1080p@24fps.

LukeJflowers

Quote from: Rawolution on July 02, 2013, 10:24:18 PM
In non crop mode we can record every 3rd line, hence 1528 pixels. In crop mode (zoom) we can do 1080p@24fps.

How would one turn it to crop mode?

LukeJflowers

LukeJflowers

Quote from: Rawolution on July 02, 2013, 10:24:18 PM

Although this does skip several frames is this something that has happened to everyone?

Nachelsoul

Getting continous 24p 1584x1056 with Komputerbay 32Gb 1000x. Non crop mode.
Awesome aspect ratio, full sensor. I ve seen improved the aliasing issue with this resolution. Is that possible or just placebo?
Thanks folks awesome job.

logen

Yay, my 50D arrived, so happy  ;D Still waiting for my cf card though...

Btw, if anyone needs to fix a broken submirror pin...

lol

1%

QuoteI ve seen improved the aliasing issue with this resolution. Is that possible or just placebo?

VS h264 for sure, vs other raw, not really.

Nachelsoul

Quote from: 1% on July 03, 2013, 03:36:54 PM
VS h264 for sure, vs other raw, not really.
I should test it more extensively. From what I have "seem" looks better than the 5d2 I own. I will make a comparative with various aspect ratios and cameras. Thanks 1% for your efforts. Good luck with 24p native mod, it will be a giant step for this camera.

ultramaze

Im getting red dots all over my image when I review my footage. Not sure if thats the moire or if the camera is broken or if this is normal...i havent seen these red dots in other peoples videos. HELP! :) thanks

the internet has softened the image a bit but there is a ton of red dots all over the leaves in my footage....

CFP

Quote from: ultramaze on July 03, 2013, 09:04:12 PM
Im getting red dots all over my image when I review my footage. Not sure if thats the moire or if the camera is broken or if this is normal...
What did you use to process the RAW videos? RAW2DNG to create DNG images and something else to convert the DNGs to JPEG I guess?
What ever you used for the DNG->JPEG step probably has a bad debayering algorithm. Use something else.

nightvision04

Quote from: ultramaze on July 03, 2013, 09:04:12 PM
Im getting red dots all over my image when I review my footage. Not sure if thats the moire or if the camera is broken or if this is normal...i havent seen these red dots in other peoples videos. HELP! :) thanks

the internet has softened the image a bit but there is a ton of red dots all over the leaves in my footage....

Looks like a bad case of moire between those leaves and siding.  :(
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

kgv5

It can be some moire issue. On 6D i had many green and blue blocks especially on the trees (very detailed shots) . They are all gone after installing VAF anti aliasing/moire filter.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ultramaze

Quote from: kgv5 on July 03, 2013, 09:35:05 PM
It can be some moire issue. On 6D i had many green and blue blocks especially on the trees (very detailed shots) . They are all gone after installing VAF anti aliasing/moire filter.

okay cool! do you know if the VAF anti aliasing/moire filter for the 60d will work on the 50d???

kgv5

ultramaze

nightvision04

Quote from: ultramaze on July 03, 2013, 09:41:34 PM
okay cool! do you know if the VAF anti aliasing/moire filter for the 60d will work on the 50d???

That's going to be the next hurdle here...

ultramaze

Quote from: nightvision04 on July 03, 2013, 10:10:19 PM
That's going to be the next hurdle here...
hope we can get a filter for the 50d!

kgv5

you can check my thread about VAF-6D

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6577.0

i uploaded some footages, there is also nice comparison video made by noisyboy - it shows how the filter handles those nasty colour blocks. I bet it works the same with 60d, so maybe it could make the same with 50d.
I think the only way is just to find someone with 60d and the filter and try to put it in 50d. Couple days ago I asked mosaic engineering guys if VAF-6D will fit 5D2 but no answer, i think they won't answer about 60d/50d either.

CFP

Since a VAF filter for the 50D is no option at the moment, using a different Software might help too.

I got similar results when I open my DNG images with Google Picasa, but by opening them with Lightroom 4 I got rid of the colorfull borders.
Probably because Picasa's debayering sucks.

So if you aren't using ACR or Lightroom already, you might want to give them a try.

nightvision04

Same thing goes for Resolve. It's debayering isn't as good as results using ACR.

araucaria

Sharp 50D footage needs a pass through ACR, the best way is to import directly into After Effects and use the defringe option.

Play with the amount and with the colors it affects, keep an eye not destroying your edge colors, you might not see it at first sight but it's noticable.

ultramaze

wow. this is all great. thanks guys. gonna run through ACR next time i need it.

ultramaze

Here is a little test film I threw together. Love the 50D and I love my girlfriend :)

https://vimeo.com/69669066