50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albert-e

Quote from: nightvision04 on June 29, 2013, 07:26:25 AM
Agreed :) He was just asking if it was possible at the moment though.

:) :) :) :) Cool. By the way, I liked your video "On A Distant Planet"; short but I got the message, in the end I was looking for more. Is it alright if I link or embed the video on a web page.?

araucaria

It seems I fucked up today, I was shooting in Crop mode but the led wouldn't go off after recording, I waited for a few minutes, then I turned off the camera and a ML message "Memory Corruption at frame 327" came on screen. I took out the battery and when I turned on the camera again the card needed format, but I can't format the thing, not on Windows, not in Camera, my nikon D3 formats it but with no result. Any ideas?

dsManning

Thanks for all the hard work on squeezing every bit of speed out of this camera.  Shot another low light concert in Boston last night with great results.  Just built a little stabilizer and it is working out great! http://goo.gl/lz5Iw (Added bike handlebar grip for a nicer fit and look since)

One question on the 'squeeze' though;

Since parts of the Canon base are slowly being taken out or disabled to favor write speed, would this break the LiveView output over USB to another device?

I am having trouble getting an image to display in both DSLR Controller (Android App) and EOS Utility on my computer, which I was instructed to test by the DSLR Controller developer, to see if it was an issue with his app and ML or if something in this build stripped that functionality.  All other controls input through DSLR Controller show changes on my camera.  Change shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc, they all update.  Just no image.

Thanks

1%

It shouldn't break usb output, Ill have to try connecting to something and check.

ninurta

Hello
(sorry for my english)

Could you tell me, how much cropped will be images, for example, in 1320x840 mode? (i want aspect ratio near to 16:9)

I don't have 50d yet and i'm going to buy wide lens soon.
I like samyang 14 mm, but if image will be too cropped, i'd prefer sigma 10-20

Andy600

Quote from: ninurta on June 29, 2013, 04:23:29 PM
Hello
(sorry for my english)

Could you tell me, how much cropped will be images, for example, in 1320x840 mode? (i want aspect ratio near to 16:9)

I don't have 50d yet and i'm going to buy wide lens soon.
I like samyang 14 mm, but if image will be too cropped, i'd prefer sigma 10-20

14mm in crop will be ~ 67mm

10mm will give you approx 50mm

Aspect ratios are selectable and do not affect the crop factor. Crop is ~3x compared to normal mode (full sensor).
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ninurta

Quote from: Andy600 on June 29, 2013, 05:12:17 PM

no, i didn't mean crop mode

as i know, in dslr cameras video uses only 1/3 lines (or less) of sensor

what pixels uses magic lantern in raw video?
if 1/3, so 4752/3=1584
and how can ml get resolution 1320 without cropping?

CFP

Quote from: ninurta on June 29, 2013, 06:34:38 PM
Could you tell me, how much cropped will be images, for example, in 1320x840 mode?
Do the math yourself ;)

The formula is: Max. width / your width X sensor crop

In 1X mode the LiveView resolution is 1584 wide. And the sensor is a APS-C sensor so it has a 1.6 crop factor. For a width of 1320 that means 1584 / 1320 X 1.6 = 1.92. But why do you want to crop? You can record the full width if your card is fast enough ... :D

Your 14mm lens would become a 27mm with a resolution of 1320 X 840. Not that bad, right?
Oh and by the way, 1320 X 840 isn't 16:9 but almost 3:2 (3.14:2)

ninurta

Rawolution

Guys,

I'm a bit confused about which build to use, there are 5 different at the moment (unified, gregor's,a1ex', 1%'s, andy's).

Are we getting a single with all the features and when? We would definately need a wiki with faq and guide. I can start one when I clear the confusion about which build to use. I guess it's too early due to fast development.

fromdecember

I apologize if this has been discussed.  I have searched this topic and the post-production topic.. either skipped it or it hasn't been addressed.  I just tested a video out and I have the raw file (m29-1506) and a rar file of the same file name.  The rar is 'corrupt' and the .raw file won't extract.  Any way to recover/fix this?

fromdecember

pbr

Quote from: fromdecember on June 29, 2013, 09:54:19 PM
Nevermind.  Found it.

I linked a compiled script somewhere back in this thread that i wrote to auto merge spanned raw files.

CFP

Quote from: CFP on June 28, 2013, 04:42:24 PM
But if it would be possible to set the skipping from 3 to 2 the image's size would be 2376 X 1584 right?
To answer my own question: Forget that.

I just understood that it is impossible because of the sensors's bayer pattern. It would result in a monochrome picture. The only usefull skipping values are 3 or 1 (No skipping). Looks like there is no way to increase the 1X mode resolution of any Canon DSLR. The only way I can imagine would be to combine 4 pixel to one cluster and skip clusters instead of pixels. But I doubt that this is possible and it might affect the image quality. Time to stop dreaming and be happy with what we have I guess ;D

1%

There is a chance of making it bigger... it samples X area to get 30FPS.. from getting the native modes it will slow down if you up the rez. so maybe get can get like a 1800xsomething at 24P. Not happening any time soon tho.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 30, 2013, 05:56:33 PM
There is a chance of making it bigger... it samples X area to get 30FPS.. from getting the native modes it will slow down if you up the rez. so maybe get can get like a 1800xsomething at 24P. Not happening any time soon tho.

Wow!!! 1% that would be incredible... would be almost 1920..  What do you need to make this happen?  I know time is one, but what else?

goldenchild9to5

Loving the 50D right about now  ;D.  Tweaking a custom WB setting so far it's yielding great results, but I'm gonna keep testing away until it's perfect, or to my liking this camera has crazy potential...

1%

Understanding of the paths and CMOS/ADTG registers. Right now its only doing shutter speed on 5d3.

nightvision04

Quote from: albert-e on June 29, 2013, 01:07:54 PM
:) :) :) :) Cool. By the way, I liked your video "On A Distant Planet"; short but I got the message, in the end I was looking for more. Is it alright if I link or embed the video on a web page.?

I would be honored!
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

robertgl

dsManning

Quote from: 1% on June 29, 2013, 03:15:54 PM
It shouldn't break usb output, Ill have to try connecting to something and check.

I also tried to Magic Lantern Controller app for Android which does not work for me now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.sztupy.android.mlcontroller&hl=en

I remember trying this on an earlier RAW build (sadly don't remember which, but at least 2 weeks back) and I did have LiveView showing on my tablet using this app. 

Any chance someone else out there could test to see if LiveView over USB is working for them?  Easiest way to test would be EOS Utility if you have it installed on your computer.  Wanting to get this set up before a shoot next weekend and I'd rather not rent a HDMI monitor when I already own a very capable 7" tablet.

Off to dig through my downloads folder to test some old builds on my backup card to see what will work.  Sadly I'm no code expert, so I'm no help in finding it there. Maybe if I can find a working build a smarter up could help me compare?

EDIT: So I jumped back to one of the unified builds.  ml-2013Jun18.50D.109.go.unified.d55f33a1d395 to be exact.  No issue with LiveView in EOS Utility. Going to move forward and try to find where it was broken.

NEW EDIT:  So it turns out after a few tests with quite a few builds, that LiveView works just fine with MagicLantern, until you enable RAW video.  What I was running as my daily driver, I had my modules autostart which led me to believe it was the new builds that broke LiveView.  When you install a new build (or old while I was testing back) the modules are usually set to not load at start.  So with no RAW video enabled, LiveView works  :-\

Thanks

mjstudio

why is everyhing pink in x5 and x10 mode?

1%

QuoteSo with no RAW video enabled, LiveView works

That sucks. Probably canon function messes with USB. Have to plug in and try.

dsManning

Yeah. Bummer.

At least you can frame your shot with a USB monitor.

With camera unplugged from USB;
Power on
Switch LiveView on
Set your desired RAW settings
Go to Modules tab
Disable autolaod modules on boot
Power off (wait for activity lights to stop blinking)
Plug in USB to tablet (USB OTG needed)
Power on (this auto boots DSLR Controller on my tablet)
LiveView should be working!  ;D
Frame your shot
When ready click the Trash icon to get to ML Menu and turn on RAW in Movie tab (this will freeze (or black out) LiveView on your tablet
From here, all adjustments available through DSLR Controller (pretty much every stock Canon setting) is still adjustable through your tablet (just no LiveView on your screen

1%

I don't get it tho.. the jpegs are still being created. I see them in the logs. Cache hacking them off didn't produce a speed increase.. maybe have to save one and see if its black with raw video on.