50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

It should be able to for a bit like 30 sec, sometimes more. 1920x1038 is a bit better.

Have you tried recording any? You can still record H264.

v1rt

Quote from: 1% on June 27, 2013, 04:53:43 PM
It should be able to for a bit like 30 sec, sometimes more. 1920x1038 is a bit better.

Have you tried recording any? You can still record H264.

I haven't bought the KomputerBay 1000x cf card yet. I have an old Transcend 400x which I think is not capable of raw recording at high resolutions with menus. I was able to raw record but I set it to 1280x720 with the menus turned off.

albert-e

Quote from: v1rt on June 27, 2013, 05:04:58 PM
I haven't bought the KomputerBay 1000x cf card yet. I have an old Transcend 400x which I think is not capable of raw recording at high resolutions with menus. I was able to raw record but I set it to 1280x720 with the menus turned off.

Transcend 400x is rated for 60mb/s (150Kbp/s( Industry standard transfer rate) x 400 = 60Mb/s. With KomputerBay 1000x, based on the formula,it is 150Mb/s. The Canon 50D is UDMA 6, based on the CF specification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDMA), it's transfer rate is capable of 133Mb/s.

In the end, KomputerBay is the best;but I heard too that it's out of spec. A lot of manufacturer's are! We'll be happy if it reaches 100Mb/s.

The question: Are the Canon camera's out of spec. or the card manufacturers? or maybe, the software overheard in ML; all the features. The proof is pointing to the features of ML? GD off,ETTR off,etc. and turning off some features makes the big difference. True or not, we'll find out, testers!

:-)

1%

CPU usage by canon/ML definitely affects write speed. If we break more stuff it will be faster.. I'm hoping for maybe 10Mb/s more somehow... not expecting the 100s on UDMA 6 but from SD cards should only be 5MB or less under max write of the card. Just 5 more MB or even like 2 or 3 and 1080P will be continuous. 10MB more and probably stable.

araucaria

Quote from: 1% on June 27, 2013, 05:56:18 PM
CPU usage by canon/ML definitely affects write speed. If we break more stuff it will be faster.. I'm hoping for maybe 10Mb/s more somehow... not expecting the 100s on UDMA 6 but from SD cards should only be 5MB or less under max write of the card. Just 5 more MB or even like 2 or 3 and 1080P will be continuous. 10MB more and probably stable.
That's great to hear, thanks a lot to all of you for your continuous effort. Btw, is there a reason, aka technical limitation, why the 5dmkii still is doing only 70mb/s compared to the 81mb/s of the 50d?

flambe

When selecting resolution in the RAW menu, i get the following message at the bottom of the screen when i try to select 1600 or higher:

1600 is not possible in current video mode (max 1584)

I'm running ML v.2.3 and GregoryOfManhatten's June 11th RAW build with a Lexar 32Gb 1000x CF card on a 50D.

Is this expected?

Thanks!

1%

Yea, I don't have a 5D2... a1ex ported the slowdown hack today.. its only a few MB short  but a bit more convenient... and if you forget to disable timers or are just shooting non zoom LV its winner. Also this method seems to make GD/buffer disabling a bit nicer.. the clear screen actually works, looks better overall.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 27, 2013, 11:13:53 AM
http://www.ultraimg.com/images/z3Nu.gif

Quick grade from today's shoot. So much flexibility from raw. Love it.

Great Color Grading.. was it in Davinci?  should post a short of that video. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 27, 2013, 05:56:18 PM

Great work 1% I believe will be able to squeeze the other 5-10mb in time, but for now the Hacks are more than usable & stable.  Thank you for all your hard work cheers. 

goldenchild9to5

Yesterday I was shooting with the 50D and thought to myself.. I have the ability, or the tool in my hand to shoot in the same league as the big dogs.  With the right skill I should be able to create that elusive Hollywood look the time is now, let's create magic with the 50D and not get too technical with the specs.  Gonna crank it up and do some serious shooting with my 50D got a couple shoots next month, I hope everybody feels the same.  I'm soo grateful  ;D for all the advances and the hard work that everybody on this community has put in thank you.

GOD Bless   

GregoryOfManhattan

1%'s hacks for variable buffering are now in part included in the hudson/unified branch and builds.

is the "estimation of how many frames you are going to get" using the latest raw_rec.mo module with the Small Hacks enabled accurate?

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 17, 2013, 01:53:22 AM

Update 26 June 2013 - there is a new "Small Hacks" feature in the raw_rec module.  in the Raw Rec Detail Menu enable Small Hacks. This is the first 50D hudson/unified build to hit 81MB/s.
a1ex is looking for feedback on the accuracy of the reported speed and frames - please report details if you have them.

@flambe - yes that's the maximum in regular video mode
@araucaria - these "Small Hacks" should bring up the speed on the 5D2 as well
@albert-e - be happy that the canon engineers built a sensor and datapipline capable of these speeds (greater than the red one)
@goldenchild9to5 and @2FAST - feel free to discuss on vimeo - bmcc, pump up the gamma, offset negative red, - a little too yellow and i need to learn to keep the full dynamic range with the detail in the tree bark.  been watching excalibur (1981) and loving green.
@goldenchild9to5 yes shoot it

artiswar

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 27, 2013, 06:52:31 PM
Great Color Grading.. was it in Davinci?  should post a short of that video.

It was indeed DaVinci. I'll post something quick up.

1%

Quoteis the "estimation of how many frames you are going to get" using the latest raw_rec.mo module with the Small Hacks enabled accurate?

Kinda. It goes off of previous writes, hacks or not. Sometimes I notice its predicting too many or too few frames... why is this bad? I think a1ex sets buffer size from it.

a1ex

If it predicts too many, the buffering algorithm is probably overestimating the card speed and it stops too early.

Look for this message: "careful, will overflow in %d.%d seconds, better write only %d frames"

and try to change these:

measured_write_speed * 9 / 100     => that means assume you will get at least 90% of measured speed. Try 80% or something.
frame_limit - 2     => that means it will use a safety margin equal to 2 frames. Try frame_limit - 3 maybe.

If you enable the debug graphs, buffer size should decrease slowly. If it stops while buffer is still large, that's an early stop and it shouldn't happen.

1%

Will have to enable debugging stuff and see what its actually doing.

Quotemeasured_write_speed * 9 / 100

This makes sense most of the time tho.. 81*.90 is about 72.. doesn't drop much lower than that maybe 67-69 at absolute worst. When its properly working the 81 stays for a good length of time.

artiswar

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 27, 2013, 07:11:07 PM
1%'s hacks for variable buffering are now in part included in the hudson/unified branch and builds.

is the "estimation of how many frames you are going to get" using the latest raw_rec.mo module with the Small Hacks enabled accurate?

@albert-e - be happy that the canon engineers built a sensor and datapipline capable of these speeds (greater than the red one)
@goldenchild9to5 and @2FAST - feel free to discuss on vimeo - bmcc, pump up the gamma, offset negative red, - a little too yellow and i need to learn to keep the full dynamic range with the detail in the tree bark.  been watching excalibur (1981) and loving green.

Best way to preserve your detail but still have blacks in DaVinci: Use the eyedropper in the curves window to pin point where on the luma curve the detail you want to keep is. then create another point below that to pull down the remaining dark tones.

albert-e

i'm quite happy too, I have a 50D! but I was expecting >100Mb/s write speed rate but not more than 115Mb/s at any point of recording. But at this stage of development, I'm jumping...like a kid, lol! Three bangs for the ML team ...here it is - !!!

goldenchild9to5

Will do..

briwil

Quote from: albert-e on June 28, 2013, 01:34:06 AM
i'm quite happy too, I have a 50D! but I was expecting >100Mb/s write speed rate but not more than 115Mb/s at any point of recording. But at this stage of development, I'm jumping...like a kid, lol! Three bangs for the ML team ...here it is - !!!

Why would you have ever expected the write speed to be so high?? There's no reason to believe the camera's card reader can get anywhere close to that...

If anyone out there is still looking for a camera, I've decided to sell mine, comes with the 64gb KOMPTERBAY x1000 card and some extra batteries...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181166102079?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

albert-e

Quote from: briwil on June 28, 2013, 02:09:55 AM
Why would you have ever expected the write speed to be so high?? There's no reason to believe the camera's card reader can get anywhere close to that...

If anyone out there is still looking for a camera, I've decided to sell mine, comes with the 64gb KOMPTERBAY x1000 card and some extra batteries...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181166102079?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDMA

I can't tell if it's read transfer rate or write transfer rate. It's probable that those numbers are read transfer rate...not sure!

:....

sschwartz23

Hey guys - I'm in Thailand currently on the island of Koh Samui. I'm about to go out and shoot some raw video. I have the latest build from @gregoryofmanhattan - but it seems like the highest resolution is still 1584 x 892.

How do I get it to record 1920 x 1080? Or just higher resolutions in general? Sorry to be such a n00b about it - just want to shoot some amazing footage on this island to share.

dsManning

Quote from: sschwartz23 on June 28, 2013, 05:16:14 AM
Hey guys - I'm in Thailand currently on the island of Koh Samui. I'm about to go out and shoot some raw video. I have the latest build from @gregoryofmanhattan - but it seems like the highest resolution is still 1584 x 892.

How do I get it to record 1920 x 1080? Or just higher resolutions in general? Sorry to be such a n00b about it - just want to shoot some amazing footage on this island to share.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg54376#msg54376

Ignore part about Debug and Dialog Timers if you are on latest build.  Instead turn on Small Hacks in RAW menu.  Part you want is in bold..

nightvision04

Here's a pretty intense low light test. It was shot on exposure override at f1.8 1/48th shutter speed and 3200ISO. I was very impressed with the resolution we can achieve with such a high ISO!

It was a canon 50mm f1.8 lens. Shot during the darkest part of the night.
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

v1rt

Quote from: nightvision04 on June 28, 2013, 07:26:27 AM
Here's a pretty intense low light test. It was shot on exposure override at f1.8 1/48th shutter speed and 3200ISO. I was very impressed with the resolution we can achieve with such a high ISO!

It was a canon 50mm f1.8 lens. Shot during the darkest part of the night.

Nice video. Which cf card are you using?

v1rt

Hey folks. I just noticed there is another fork called Hudson. So which one should we be using, GregoryofManhattan or Hudson's? Currently, I installed GregoryofManhattan build 2 days ago.

Thanks!