50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawolution

Could anyone tell me is it technically possible to increase FPS and lower resolution? Is it planned for the future? Perfect for slow motion clips...

dhallowell19

Quote from: 1% on June 26, 2013, 06:00:28 PM
That got moved + you're looking at a unified build which is 1 commit behind to boot.
Here you can try it...

[50D] Still fast in photo mode.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!x9JUUTaQ!crrTnHy6f7ziG9HUfKhhrFkbdx0cnmMykXCOLCjFJ5g

Bingo -- that put me back in action -- now seeing "Continuous OK' and in the 60-65 Mb/s range.

Thanks!

v1rt

Which 64g cf card should I buy? Transcend or KomputerBay?

briwil

Quote from: v1rt on June 26, 2013, 10:53:49 PM
Which 64g cf card should I buy? Transcend or KomputerBay?

Komputerbay

pbr

Quote from: 1% on June 26, 2013, 06:00:28 PM

Here you can try it...

[50D] Still fast in photo mode.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!x9JUUTaQ!crrTnHy6f7ziG9HUfKhhrFkbdx0cnmMykXCOLCjFJ5g

I'm suffering from a speed depression.  Last night installed gregory's june 25th build and was able to get about 8gbs of 1584x1058.  However after a couple clips, I couldn't seem to get more than 60.1mb/s with that build and today the same with the one you linked above.  Also just tried Gregory's June 26th build (just uploaded) and I can't get above 62.5 mb/s in 16:9.  Using the Komputerbay 1000x 64 formatted in camera and haven't changed anything (global draw off, etc).  What could be the problem?

1%

I dunno, good question. You should try with timers off (debug menu) and in photo mode, you can still do 1038 and full non zoom (room to spare).... but a couple of days ago I had 1920x1080 almost continuous in MOVIE mode.

Using the Komputerbay 1000x 64 formatted in camera

This actually works and doesn't make your card 32gb?
hm... so you can... except it does 32KB clusters and cuts speed down a tiny bit

Andy600

No problem here. Still getting around 72MB/s with timers off 1080p 25p gives me about 15 seconds per clip on my card which isn't bad. BTW 1% - I just added the pink frame fix to raw_rec.c in my TL clone. I presume it wont do any harm?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

I'm using it now, just haven't pushed/remade a bin.

Heh, started 1/2 way on a full format and speed jumped up, maybe its the cards?

Andy600

Cool. How you getting on with that ADTG thing on the 50d? Any luck?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Nope, on 6D neither... I'll see whats in the bins... if its just REG [03232] -> then its what I see on LV. can't figure out the reg #s to write to.

going to fully format the card for 64K and see if speed comes back.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5B50D%5D%20NewerHacks.zip

v1rt

Am I right folks that with raw recording in 50D using fast cf card, we can only record less than 20 seconds?

dsManning

Quote from: v1rt on June 27, 2013, 04:19:33 AM
Am I right folks that with raw recording in 50D using fast cf card, we can only record less than 20 seconds?

No.  I am using a Komputerbay 1000x card (like many here) and can record at full sensor (1584x892 @ 16.9 ratio) continuous till I fill my card.  And this upscales quite nicely if you are good with your original capture exposure, and handiness in RAW edits.  At 24fps this only requires about 55mb/s.  Cropped frame (1920x1080) for me shoots about 30-45 seconds sometimes using 1%'s Dialog Timer "off" settings.  This requires about 83mb/s which my card currently caps at around 77-78mb/s (resulting in less than 45 second full HD recordings seeing as the buffer will eventually fill with no idle, forcing the recording to stop).

GregoryOfManhattan

tried that latest hudson/unied build with today's removal of pink frame code.
if you have had pink frames in crop/zoom mode you may want to try it as a.d. has confirmed this is an improvement on the 5D2

at 23.976 frames per second
getting continuous recording at:
1584x1058
1920x872
1920x1080 got 221 frames in a single test.
at 25 fps 1584x1058 got 1835 frames in a single test (for the 50hz anamorphic users).

reformatting these FAT32 cards periodically is a very good idea, for anyone who is experiencing speed challenges.
tried this setting a 64k block size with perhaps better results
1920x1080 got 227 frames in a single test
at 25fps 1584x1058 got 2400 frames and then 3400 frames.

did get into some state where the canon info menus re-appeared - power cycle seemed to cure it.

unified build seem to be fine with real speeds near 70MB/s.

KENNEDYR21

@1%

Can you or anyone point me in the right direction regarding disabling the timer.  I have looked for it in debug  as mention, but none in my list say timer. I'm using the most current Greg build.
Thank you!

pbr

Quote from: 1% on June 27, 2013, 01:03:47 AM
I dunno, good question. You should try with timers off (debug menu) and in photo mode, you can still do 1038 and full non zoom (room to spare).... but a couple of days ago I had 1920x1080 almost continuous in MOVIE mode.

This actually works and doesn't make your card 32gb?
hm... so you can... except it does 32KB clusters and cuts speed down a tiny bit

I've been doing in camera formats for awhile and pretty sure I've recorded 32gb+ at least a couple times.  I'll try it with timers off and a FAT 32 format tmr. 
Thx.

Chazo

wow amazing work! ML RAW is insane for the 50d :)
any idea of the dynamic range we are getting?

rommex

Quote from: Chazo on June 27, 2013, 08:26:46 AM
wow amazing work! ML RAW is insane for the 50d :)
any idea of the dynamic range we are getting?

I guess it's around what we get from still RAWs. But needs some testing...

frontloop

Is there any chance to use one of the mosaic engineering filters in 50D an reduce moire and aliasing?

rommex

Quote from: frontloop on June 27, 2013, 10:57:14 AM
Is there any chance to use one of the mosaic engineering filters in 50D an reduce moire and aliasing?

It has been discussed 2-3 times earlier in this thread. To put it short: no.

artiswar

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/z3Nu.gif

Quick grade from today's shoot. So much flexibility from raw. Love it.

2FAST

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 25, 2013, 04:56:15 PM

included a not great panning city scape to show the moire.
at 25second far left top corner the windows have a crazy multicolor pattern,
the rooftops to the left of the Allianz building show some strange flickering digital artifacts which i think is caused by antennas.
the side of the dark brick building center frame at 35second has very visible moire.
in resolve lite, i tried to separate luma and chroma and to blur the chroma to reduce at least the rainbow portions of the moire pattern.  all these things look worse at full resolution viewing the cinemaDNGs - the silver lining in all the compression to post videos online is that the apparent problems are reduced.

the earlier shots of the trees could have been processed (perhaps by masking the backs of the trees or could i have keyed on the tree bark color?) to keep the dark detail in a very wide dynamic range shot.
(note: uploaded a 444 prores with vimeo compression and somewhere - this vimeo gamma is much darker from what i saw on screen - at my limit for the week of uploads - so cannot be replaced)

looks to me like the 50D image can be sharpened and look very nice on organic natural shots - trees, forest , ocean, etc...
a deep focus city shot is going to require post work to reduce the moire.
basically you need to limit depth of field in a city or room with patterns.

the final shot show crop/ zoom mode at 105mm looking at one world trade center (4.2miles / 6.7km ) and 1 penn plaza (1.3 miles / 2.3 km) distance.

@rommex - you may like a documentary film "crumb" (1994) - it shows an artistic interpretation of telephone and power cables.

Very great looks! Which LUT are you using in Resolve? Especially I'm loving the color of forest footage.

araucaria

Tonight there is a Jazz concert in my town and my nikon lens adapters just arrived, I'm still on an older build and I wanted to know which is the latest stable/fast one to try out zoom mode. Was the 80mb/s wrong info? As I'm reading 70megs lately.

1%

v1rt

Quote from: dsManning on June 27, 2013, 05:39:07 AM
No.  I am using a Komputerbay 1000x card (like many here) and can record at full sensor (1584x892 @ 16.9 ratio) continuous till I fill my card.  And this upscales quite nicely if you are good with your original capture exposure, and handiness in RAW edits.  At 24fps this only requires about 55mb/s.  Cropped frame (1920x1080) for me shoots about 30-45 seconds sometimes using 1%'s Dialog Timer "off" settings.  This requires about 83mb/s which my card currently caps at around 77-78mb/s (resulting in less than 45 second full HD recordings seeing as the buffer will eventually fill with no idle, forcing the recording to stop).

Ok. I got confused when you mentioned Cropped frame 1920x1080. Can our 50D record at 1920x1080 raw? The old ML I was using allows me to record at 1920x1080 but not raw.