50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: v1rt on June 26, 2013, 05:12:19 AM
WOW! Just saw this thread. I have a 3 year old Canon 50D with Magic Lantern. However, I don't have this new version. Is the download for the latest ML for Canon 50D only found in the first page? I was thinking there might another download link posted embedded on a different page.

Check out my video which was recorded by Magic Lantern WITHOUT Raw support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVHmU7Mn0lU

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You guys are awesome! I've seen some video recordings and it is phenomenal! Awesome work!

Go to this link and you will find all the Raw Builds for the 50D, by the way nice video.

https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads

goldenchild9to5

v1rt

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 26, 2013, 05:32:11 AM
Go to this link and you will find all the Raw Builds for the 50D, by the way nice video.

https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads

Thank you for the kind words. I'll try to update it tonight. I'll make a lot of test and will post it as well!!! :D

I will use the following lenses for my test
Asahi Takumar 50mm 1.4
Canon 70-200 F4L
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Sears 50mm 2.0

I'm so happy, I don't need to buy GH2. Glad I really saw this thread! :)

flambe

Quote from: CFP on June 26, 2013, 04:52:13 AM
That is bullshit.

Thanks. It sounded weird when I read it!
I guess everything you read on the Internet isn't true after all.

v1rt

I got it installed on my 50D. Any ideas why recordings stops after few seconds? I even chose a smaller resolution like 1280x720, it still stops. Is there a setting that I forgot to turn off/on?

All I did was extract the file magiclantern-2013Jun25.50D.109.go.unified.282abfa87fef.zip onto my compact flash. I'm not sure if there are other files that I need to download.

PressureFM

Quote from: v1rt on June 26, 2013, 07:19:22 AM
I got it installed on my 50D. Any ideas why recordings stops after few seconds? I even chose a smaller resolution like 1280x720, it still stops. Is there a setting that I forgot to turn off/on?

All I did was extract the file magiclantern-2013Jun25.50D.109.go.unified.282abfa87fef.zip onto my compact flash. I'm not sure if there are other files that I need to download.

Well, what Compactflash Card do you have?  :)

rommex

I woudtn't advice you to use the latest releases for non-test purposes. Besides short sequences, they have other malfunctions. That's why I still use 28May build )
Quote from: v1rt link=topicort hs=5586.msg55078#msg55078 date=1372223962

a1ex

Quotethey have other malfunctions.

Which ones? I'm not aware of any...

Hokie123

Can someone instruct me on how to record in crop mode? I get only about a split second of recording before it stops. Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

Andy600

Quote from: Hokie123 on June 26, 2013, 11:29:48 AM
Can someone instruct me on how to record in crop mode? I get only about a split second of recording before it stops. Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

have you actually read this? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

Also, no mention what build you are using? In another post you state you are only getting 45MB/s in your card benchmark. Read up on Benchmarking and then check your card alignment. You won't actually learn anything without following the steps yourself. If you learn how to correctly set up for raw video you will save yourself a ton of time in the future.

There is a whole section of this forum dedicated to raw video. Everything you get stuck on has already been answered.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=49.0
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rommex

In the latest build of 25 June after I have set ISO and trying to adjust exposure, changing aperture is fine but attempt to modify the shutter speed modifies ISO for some reason.... But the main drawback of this build is 2-3 seconds sequence and then skipped frame. While 28 May  build works fine continuously. With all GD settings the same.

Quote from: a1ex on June 26, 2013, 11:19:03 AM
Which ones? I'm not aware of any...

a1ex

Post a video showing the problems. Make sure you use the same config file for both (and paste it too).

v1rt

Quote from: PressureFM on June 26, 2013, 11:10:43 AM
Well, what Compactflash Card do you have?  :)

It's a Transcend 32g 400x. Looks like it's a slow card? If so, which should I buy?

rommex

Quote from: v1rt on June 26, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
It's a Transcend 32g 400x. Looks like it's a slow card? If so, which should I buy?

I used to record continuous 720p on such card. Build 28 May, GD on, histogram and scopes ON, but zebra stops recording, so was OFF.

simulacro

Last sunday i was trying to catch the full moon with no luck, too much wind for my tripod. I was with my 135mm lens instead my vivitar 28-90 and only could take long focal distance shots. It was "La noche de San Juan" and people was dancing, jumping in fire, so i made a video.

There are some 5x shots, with my slow card only 1600x900. One of them was magenta magenta so I did what I could in ACR

The very last clip of the card had 13 bad frames. The rest of them, only one bad frame.

Thanks again for this development guys!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPPrYAmvznk&feature=youtu.be

1%

QuoteIn the latest build of 25 June after I have set ISO and trying to adjust exposure, changing aperture is fine but attempt to modify the shutter speed modifies ISO for some reason

50D doesn't have manual exposure in movie mode.. if you don't have expo override on canon changes the ISO once it runs out of "real" shutter speeds. It ill say iso XXX eq. Also be aware aperture may not be really clicking down either, or at least not where you're putting it.

*new builds working the exact same for me.. but I turn the dialog timers off so still get like 80MB/s

hmm... tested some more.. there is a speed difference between photo mode and movie mode

eatbuckshot

I went to Great Falls Park, and tried out a couple res on some waterfalls and friends

I made the final video have 2048x1152 so it would trigger youtube's original res for 18-26 MBPS

Edit: I've also uploaded a Final uncompressed output with 8bit lagarith lossless codec (5.6 GB) available here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxmF1M7jtUvFZzhhOVlHUV9Ub0U/edit?usp=sharing

dhallowell19

Sorry, again, if I'm missing something obvious - but I was doing great with the builds up to the end of May or so.  64G KompBay 1K card, 65+Gb/s write rates with 1600 1x crop raw.   
Then, as I've started trying the more recent builds (unified, mostly) - my speeds have dropped into the 40-45 Gb/s range. 
I have all the other menu choices as before (Global Draw LiveView, 24.000 fps override, etc.). 

I see discussion about turning off dialog timers, and searching the forum, mention that that involves the "Dont Click Me' menu - clicking that with latest posted build gives me weird sliding screens and a crash.
I have cleaned and rebuilt the card from scratch a few times.   Ran benchmarks again, and I think they look OK.

Oddly - when I select RAW video, the message at the bottom of the screen says "565.7GB/s needed for 24p" -- making me wonder if something is configured wrong.  I'm scratchin' my head.  Maybe someone has a clue that'll help?

1%

That got moved + you're looking at a unified build which is 1 commit behind to boot.

Nice to see that there is extra 10MB left to discover.

Its not shutter... fake movie mode in real photo mode has same speeds as before... it also shouldn't be the indicators as they still display in fake movie mode... wtf else changed.

Here you can try it...

[50D] Still fast in photo mode.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!x9JUUTaQ!crrTnHy6f7ziG9HUfKhhrFkbdx0cnmMykXCOLCjFJ5g

timers are above don't click me.. which is now "native" 24fps... for H264 this resizes it... just noticed this morning... so I'm going to see what happens with the larger sizes again. Hmm.. maybe its just aspect ratio

Andy600

@1% - So raw video and H.264 is 24p without FSP override now?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Yea, but meta data not changed. Still testing this and other debug functions... maybe there is a way to disable ae and wb, the command used now isn't present.. also face detection.

Also the ADTG based shutters should work but I dunno how to translate reg # to reg address

So disabling AE and probably wb works... saves a tiny bit off cpu.. gonna see f its the same for face detection.

I can set face detection address to 0x0... dunno if it helps, the ae stuff locks expo while recording unless you change from ML.. dunno good? bad? Went up to 81Mb/s in photo mode... really no reason to use movie mode till this is fixed... also can select LV output device.. have to check on that...

what else is eating gilbert's grapes? LV jpeg creation is constant... we need to kill this

81.x MB shrinking lv to "vga" size.

briwil

Quote from: araucaria on June 25, 2013, 11:33:41 PM
was that in 5x zoom mode?

I think the only shot which was done in crop mode was the bird in the sand. Everything else was upscaled to 1920 from the 16xx resolution (can't remember the exact number).

dsManning

Quote from: 1% on June 26, 2013, 07:01:21 PM
also can select LV output device.. have to check on that...

Does that include over USB?  I used to use DSLR Controller with my Nexus 7 for photo composition and time lapse functions before I installed Magic Lantern.  Currently locks up using RAW video and or Zoom Mode.  Not a huge issue, would just be nice to use a nice 7in screen I already usually have with me as an external display.

Anyone else use this app for Android? 

http://dslrcontroller.com/

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 25, 2013, 04:56:15 PM
numbers may change but the frames remain the same.
today's builds include code changes to bitrate calculations - so the numbers may display differently than before.
you can compare performance with past builds by maximum frames under some settings (1920x1080 @23.976) or maximum continuous recording at your favorite aspect ratio.
in the last couple of days a1ex modified the code in hudson/unified branch which reports the speed (bitrate) so numerical comparisons with past and other builds may not be accurate.
there has been a single change (commit) since i posted the unified build yesterday - a "fix typo" where speed in one place is shown 10x greater than actual. no functional differences.

1%

Yea, but shouldn't drop 80MB/s in movie mode to 76 or stop that initial record so quickly.

I was more thinking of this: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/81765310b9533d061092c1e8d4e5a8056a8e4eff