50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djfremen

Question: since 5x zoom multiplies field of view by 5x times what lens mm on a crop sensor would I need to achieve 50mm? Something like fisheye?

swaneon

Quote from: 1% on June 24, 2013, 10:33:46 PM
Until your card runs out.... like 15 minutes max on 64 card.
ahh excellent
its not like there's a 400 frames then it stops?
on the 5dmk2 I can do 1720 continuous which is great though getting a 50d for under $400 is an additional plus

pinger007

I'm currently shooting a short film with the 5DM3 Raw at 1920x1080.  The image is great, but there's just something about the image from my 50D that I love.  I would like to bring the 50D onboard as a 2nd camera, but am concerned about the two resolutions mixing well together, not to mention the 50D moire.  Do you all think the 50D footage upscaled to 1920x1080 will be consistent with my 5DM3's 1920x1080 footage? 
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

1%

Zoom won't need much upscale. I don't think it has moire in zoom.

araucaria

Quote from: djfremen on June 24, 2013, 11:17:37 PM
Question: since 5x zoom multiplies field of view by 5x times what lens mm on a crop sensor would I need to achieve 50mm? Something like fisheye?

The thing goes like this, 5x zoom is actually 3x additional crop (please correct me if I'm wrong), then there is the 1.6x canon aps-c crop.

So 50/3/1.62= 10.28mm lens will give you a 50mm equivalent fov, depth of field will be the same as on a 10mm lens, so no shallow depth of field.

That would make it slightly smaller than a 1/1.7" sensor area which has a crop factor of 4.55x compared to the 4.86x crop from the 5x zoom mode. I don't know if it exists, but if you put a m43 7-14mm lens on this you could get a 34-68 lens which should be ok for most shots.

djfremen

Quote from: araucaria on June 24, 2013, 11:58:50 PMdepth of field will be the same as on a 10mm lens, so no shallow depth of field.

Oy- that's rough.

The Canon EF-S 10mm - 22mm F/3.5 - 4.5 USM Lens is 600 bucks used.

So everything would be in focus, with no DoF, unless you shot macro ;)

araucaria

Quote from: 1% on June 24, 2013, 11:56:43 PM
Zoom won't need much upscale. I don't think it has moire in zoom.
There could be moire, but the 50d has a very strong aliasing filter so I don't think it will ever show up.

Btw, does anybody know if the 5x is really a 3x crop, and if the same applies on the 5dmkii.

1%

You can always upscale the 15XX*10XX... people had luck with even 2x upres.

simulacro

tonight i catched the moon!

I have a soviet lens that wanted to sell but i think i'm gonna keep it :)

5x video. with my sandisk extreme 60MB/s i only could record 13 second clips aprox, still, very impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrByg6Ke9_c&feature=youtu.be

sschwartz23

This is a short music video I shot in Thailand last week on the 50d with one of the earlier June builds. Enjoy!

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: sschwartz23 on June 25, 2013, 03:47:41 AM
This is a short music video I shot in Thailand last week on the 50d with one of the earlier June builds. Enjoy!

Umm, nice...pool.

So I'm curious, as someone who used to using scratch audio for music video, how did you sync up the video to the track without the 50d having no audio capabilities?

sschwartz23

There are a bunch of ways you can do it - if I had an external sound recorder like an h4n I'd just have to slate it/sync it. In this case I just synced it by eye using more recognizable parts of the song.

robertgl

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: sschwartz23 on June 25, 2013, 04:05:58 AM
There are a bunch of ways you can do it - if I had an external sound recorder like an h4n I'd just have to slate it/sync it. In this case I just synced it by eye using more recognizable parts of the song.

I absolutely loathe syncing it by eye so slating it by specific verse/chorus will have to do. Embedded scratch audio is so much easier, I guess I've gotten lazy.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: simulacro on June 25, 2013, 02:17:51 AM

tonight i catched the moon!

I have a soviet lens that wanted to sell but i think i'm gonna keep it :)

5x video. with my sandisk extreme 60MB/s i only could record 13 second clips aprox, still, very impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrByg6Ke9_c&feature=youtu.be

Nice MOON  :D

Nice video. Nice color grading  :D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: pinger007 on June 24, 2013, 11:37:42 PM
I'm currently shooting a short film with the 5DM3 Raw at 1920x1080.  The image is great, but there's just something about the image from my 50D that I love.  I would like to bring the 50D onboard as a 2nd camera, but am concerned about the two resolutions mixing well together, not to mention the 50D moire.  Do you all think the 50D footage upscaled to 1920x1080 will be consistent with my 5DM3's 1920x1080 footage?

I said the same thing that's why I went with the 50D there is something magical going on with the images coming out of that camera.  I think the images will intercut pretty well, to tell you the truth I haven't been experiencing that much moire on my footages should be all fine..

goldenchild9to5

Great video man.. nice grade also, you made the 50D shine.  By the way what lens did you use?

sschwartz23

Thanks!

I used the Canon L-series 28-70 f2.8 and a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for the wides...

simulacro

I see lot's of RRRAWWW posibilities on your video ;)

Very nice! congratulations!

The first shot is beautiful. The other shots... i was staring at two specific spots so I don't really know ;D

simulacro

Quote from: sschwartz23 on June 25, 2013, 08:26:01 AM
Thanks!

I used the Canon L-series 28-70 f2.8 and a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for the wides...

I saw i very nice use of the zoom in - out movement. I tried once with a 24-105 and it wasn't soft at all

pinger007

when I shoot with the 50D, I definitely get considerable moire (haven't tested in crop mode).  This moire makes it unusable for the film unless it's used solely for facial close ups.  However, if I can utilize the crop mode free of moire, then I've got myself a good b cam.  My only issue is that the liveview framing in crop mode isn't correct - it's showing a much smaller fov compared to what the camera is actually capturing.  I've tried different preview modes (auto, canon, magic lantern grayscale, hacked), but none of them seem to fix the problem.  Am I missing something?  Please help.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

Rawolution

If I understood correctly, there's no way to get FHD at 1:1, only on 5x crop.

Is it a hw constraint or is it being worked on?

pulsar124

Is it even worth the development effort, to use a small fraction of the 50D sensor (effectively turning 50D into a tiny sensor, consumer level camcorder), RAW or not? (I am talking about zoom RAW recording.) With a tiny sensor, you lose most of the advantages of the DSLR-based video-camera - shallow DoF and great light sensitivity.

GregoryOfManhattan

numbers may change but the frames remain the same.
today's builds include code changes to bitrate calculations - so the numbers may display differently than before.
you can compare performance with past builds by maximum frames under some settings (1920x1080 @23.976) or maximum continuous recording at your favorite aspect ratio.
(for the super speed builds, it's looked to me as if the numbers on screen were less than the required bitrate - e.g. 1920x1080p23.976 should be closer to 83MB/s and the 80point1 build reported around 80.1)

@Rawolution - enjoy 1600 maximum width in regular raw video mode - that is it.

@pinger007, @rommex (and the whole moire gang) - i wouldn't go so far as to say unusable - you have to decide where to use it.  it will present issues in environments with regular patterns and hard thin lines.  for myself, i did some camera tests to see a range of conditions.

included a not great panning city scape to show the moire.
at 25second far left top corner the windows have a crazy multicolor pattern,
the rooftops to the left of the Allianz building show some strange flickering digital artifacts which i think is caused by antennas.
the side of the dark brick building center frame at 35second has very visible moire.
in resolve lite, i tried to separate luma and chroma and to blur the chroma to reduce at least the rainbow portions of the moire pattern.  all these things look worse at full resolution viewing the cinemaDNGs - the silver lining in all the compression to post videos online is that the apparent problems are reduced.

the earlier shots of the trees could have been processed (perhaps by masking the backs of the trees or could i have keyed on the tree bark color?) to keep the dark detail in a very wide dynamic range shot.
(note: uploaded a 444 prores with vimeo compression and somewhere - this vimeo gamma is much darker from what i saw on screen - at my limit for the week of uploads - so cannot be replaced)

looks to me like the 50D image can be sharpened and look very nice on organic natural shots - trees, forest , ocean, etc...
a deep focus city shot is going to require post work to reduce the moire.
basically you need to limit depth of field in a city or room with patterns.

the final shot show crop/ zoom mode at 105mm looking at one world trade center (4.2miles / 6.7km ) and 1 penn plaza (1.3 miles / 2.3 km) distance.

@rommex - you may like a documentary film "crumb" (1994) - it shows an artistic interpretation of telephone and power cables. 

Supermac

Hi there, I'm new and find all this amazing. I'm trying to use the 50d to shoot 4:3 for Anamorphic as high res as I can get without crop. I can't get a continuous bit rate of more than 50MB/s though. I'm using Gregory of Manhattan's 70MB/s 9th June build and a Lexar 800x card. I've tried with memory hack on and off but can't seem to get over 50. Best resolution I got was 1152 x 854 and even then all the frames were corrupted like "the last few frame" corruptions on an earlier post I saw. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

Thanks