50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rommex

Quote from: crash-film on June 23, 2013, 06:03:50 PM
hmmm......okay.

but do you also have the problem of flickering images in resolve? every now and then theres a heavily darker image.
and there´s some blue and red noise at the image borders.

crash, I used to have the same issue with Resolve (flicker + glitches at the upper border). Replaced my Resolve with the latest Lite version from BMD site -- the issues are gone.

crash-film

cool rommex. will give it a try.
but there´s no noise reduction in the free version, no tracker.....or did they change that?

i made three short test videos (with the 550D, see in my posts) and all happened in after effects through acr. and i never had flickering issues.

andy600:
yes, i used all the bmd settings (is it somehow confirmed, that bmd settings are correct. or does it just "fit" somehow?)
maybe i´ll get some stable shots today. have some charts and gray boards here and try to get some comparable images and maybe generate a LUT for the 50D. time to take that book of the shelf.....  color correction handbook ......good extra reference for resolve!

just need to finally read it  :P

Andy600

Quote from: crash-film on June 23, 2013, 06:43:09 PM
cool rommex. will give it a try.
but there´s no noise reduction in the free version, no tracker.....or did they change that?

i made three short test videos (with the 550D, see in my posts) and all happened in after effects through acr. and i never had flickering issues.

andy600:
yes, i used all the bmd settings (is it somehow confirmed, that bmd settings are correct. or does it just "fit" somehow?)
maybe i´ll get some stable shots today. have some charts and gray boards here and try to get some comparable images and maybe generate a LUT for the 50D. time to take that book of the shelf.....  color correction handbook ......good extra reference for resolve!

just need to finally read it  :P

No NR but everything else is there including the Tracker. BMD Film settings just seem to work for me (and quite a few others it seems) and I'm using Arri LUTs for a base to grade from. The BM Film LUT is nice too but saturation needs toning down a touch.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

crash-film

Quote from: Andy600 on June 23, 2013, 06:50:51 PM
No NR but everything else is there including the Tracker. BMD Film settings just seem to work for me (and quite a few others it seems) and I'm using Arri LUTs for a base to grade from. The BM Film LUT is nice too but saturation needs toning down a touch.

yeah, two arguments for me for ACR.

NR is a must for raw files. and ACR has the correct canon image settings.

everything´s of course in a very early stage of development and for now it´s okay to drop just any lut on the footage just to get things working. but a lut is a very powerful component. and you can be assured that a arri alexa lut also corrects some flaws of the alexa sensor. what´s good for the alexa or bmd cams can for example emphasize noise with the canon dngs or it provokes false colors. and a grade based on false colors can get pretty uncontrollable.

resolve will be the future first choice. no doubt.
just can´t wait to see resolve 10!
could be the perfect way of avoiding any intermediate format.

Viente

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 05:58:14 PM
May be possible to cache hack away the picture style step.. but I don't think it will help make it any more raw_like.

You mean the very last frame? Its supposed to cut that off? Or it cuts off 1 and the one before that is corrupted?

Yes, the very last frame
This is what i've got

simulacro

I don't know anything about LUTs but with my last shoot i'm aplying to the raw pics the prolost flat principle in Camera Raw: putting all the contrast to the left (-50), the same with the black level (0). i don't touch the brightness or exposure unless the image needs it. I'll post soon a little video using these settings. Hope don't mess it :o

Andy600

Quote from: crash-film on June 23, 2013, 07:07:24 PM
yeah, two arguments for me for ACR.

NR is a must for raw files. and ACR has the correct canon image settings.

everything´s of course in a very early stage of development and for now it´s okay to drop just any lut on the footage just to get things working. but a lut is a very powerful component. and you can be assured that a arri alexa lut also corrects some flaws of the alexa sensor. what´s good for the alexa or bmd cams can for example emphasize noise with the canon dngs or it provokes false colors. and a grade based on false colors can get pretty uncontrollable.

resolve will be the future first choice. no doubt.
just can´t wait to see resolve 10!
could be the perfect way of avoiding any intermediate format.

Of course. Creating a calibrated raw-to-Log or raw-to-REC709 LUT for ML raw video footage would need scopes and measuring equipment. It's a science and I only know the basics ATM. I only use the BMD or Arri ones as a quick 'look' and a useful base to grade from. If I was doing any serious work I would probably grade without one (but I don't do any serious work LOL).

It would be useful to make some 50D specific FPN presets for neat video. Has anyone done that yet?

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Yes, the very last frame
This is what i've got

Do you have that quick ramp up on? Its basically happening when raw is stopping, not much I can do, just write off last 2 or 3 frames (a1ex already cuts the last one I think).

Viente

No, i've just reset all settings and tried again. The same thing.
Not a big deal actually, just want to report as much as i can  :)

artiswar

Question for all of you:

Is there a way to save settings for when the cam powers on? Ie, raw on, res set, sound off, memory hack on?

1%

Yea, it does that.

I'll see if anything makes it go away... refreshes, pause resume LV, etc all can corrupt a frame. I've had some in the first couple frames before and I guess now the last couple :( I'd rather it be at the end tho, haven't seen anything corrupt at start recently.

crash-film

so....the latest version of resolve works. but theres still an issue with dabayering i think. or some superblack issues?? lots of red pixels in the blacks. and acr seems to have an automatic hot pixel remover.

i made some testhots using an old esser gray scale test chart. resolves bmd preset + the auto correction of resolve gives pretty similar results than acr+after effects.

when i generate a lut using the grade settings everything explodes (pixel mismatch, overexposure...)

is anybody working on that pink frame issue? i don´t trust there any "fix it in post" approaches.

dsManning

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 23, 2013, 05:52:42 PM
Sorry if I've missed something, but when I try any of the builds more recent than about June 15th my raw write speeds have dropped to 35-45Mb/s at 1x crop, largest image size.  I've reformatted cards, rebuild core ML, used all the settings that were working before (Global Draw:LiveView, fps override, etc.) -- still it seems odd.  (KompBay 64G 1K card). There was an Andy600 build with a 'fast_raw' that worked fine - then I moved to the mainstream builds and I'm going backwards.  I'm hoping that I might have missed something obvious and that someone might set me straight.
I've searched for answers and read all the posts under this topic.

Many thanks,
D

My process for a cap of 77.7mb/s @ 1920x1080 @ 24fps on a 32GB Komputerbay 1K on 1%'s most recent posted on last page;

Boot camera
Format card
Set all desired settings for recording (FPS, Overlays, Resolution, pretty much just set up your shot now)
To set 1920x1080;    In LV go to 5X Zoom, set Aspect Ratio to 16:9 and Resolution to 1920x1080 in RAW Video settings in ML settings
Power down camera
Boot camera
Open ML menu
Navigate to Debug tab
Scroll down to Dialog Timers and set to Disabled
Open LiveView
Record your first shot @ no crop and let the speed peak (I usually let it sit for a minute)
Zoom to 5x and record your new 1920x1080 shot

Hope this helps. And to the smarter ups, does disabling the Dialog Timer have any negative impact?

Rawolution

Quote from: dsManning on June 23, 2013, 10:30:51 PM
My process for a cap of 77.7mb/s @ 1920x1080 @ 24fps on a 32GB Komputerbay 1K on 1%'s most recent posted on last page;

Boot camera
Format card
Set all desired settings for recording (FPS, Overlays, Resolution, pretty much just set up your shot now)
Power down camera
Boot camera
Open ML menu
Navigate to Debug tab
Open LiveView
Record your first shot @ no crop and let the speed peak (I usually let it sit for a minute)

Hope this helps. And to the smarter ups, does disabling the Dialog Timer have any negative impact?

Finally step by step guide for n00bs. It would save me a lot of time if it was on the very first post of this thread, also I'd add URL for ML build and guide how I could increase resolution above 1584.

Thanks!

dsManning

Granted, you don't need to format every time.  This is just the process I use for speedtests on new builds. 

hijodeibn

Quote from: dsManning on June 23, 2013, 10:30:51 PM

Boot camera
Format card
Power down camera
Boot camera
Open ML menu
Navigate to Debug tab
Open LiveView

Guys....I am still lost......not able to make any RAW recording, I am just getting video recording, a .MOV file each time i tried to record RAW, I will describe what i am doing and will appreciate somebody help me with the missed steps...
1. updated firmware and loaded ML 2.3 in the camera, get the green screen at the end, everything looks OK.
2. downloaded last build from @gregory
3. removed CF card and plug it into de computer (didn`t format the card after ML 2.3 was loaded)
4. deleted autoexec.bin and ML directory from the card
5. copy new autoexec.bin and ML directory from last @gregory build
6. removed card from computer and inserted in the camera, turn on camera
7. enter to ML menu, go to Movie tab and in field Movie Record only have two options.....1920x1080, 30 fps and 640x480, 30 fps
8. go to help tab and see ML version showed is the last build from @gregory
9. go to liveview and shoot
10. turn off, remove CF and plug in into the PC, I only see a file with extension .mov, just a video.....

Any help will be much appreciated!!!! (I am so noob in canon and ML)...thanks

dsManning

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 23, 2013, 11:25:20 PM
Guys....I am still lost......not able to make any RAW recording, I am just getting video recording, a .MOV file each time i tried to record RAW, I will describe what i am doing and will appreciate somebody help me with the missed steps...

Any help will be much appreciated!!!! (I am so noob in canon and ML)...thanks

Far right tab in ML menu is Modules.  You need to enable the modules included in the build (most importantly the RAW one for this, but enable all of them)

Then go back to Movie tab and at the bottom, you will see RAW Video.  Turn on and enjoy :)

hijodeibn

Quote from: dsManning on June 23, 2013, 11:28:03 PM
Far right tab in ML menu is Modules.  You need to enable the modules included in the build (most importantly the RAW one for this, but enable all of them)

Then go back to Movie tab and at the bottom, you will see RAW Video.  Turn on and enjoy :)

Finally......RAW in camera....many thanks!!!!!!!!

simulacro

Quote from: simulacro on June 23, 2013, 12:34:55 PM
I'm getting these kind of frames when the card is full and camera stops recording

I'm shooting with the last june 20 build and a 60MB/s sandisk extreme card. Recording about 380-450 frames before the camera stops recording.

Now the last frame of every clip I record is like the above. When the card gets full it's more, the clip with more weird frames has 64 of them. I have to say, as having a slow card (60MB/s) I record until the camera stops automatically (290-400 frames)

Gonna format the card to see what happens

simulacro

Quote from: Viente on June 23, 2013, 07:07:52 PM
Yes, the very last frame
This is what i've got

I opened my clips with raw2dng and my last frame looks like Viente's.

with rawmagic all the last frames look like a bar code

simulacro

The new build's interface has "buffer use"(?) lines above the raw frame counter, and for me, they look similar to the vertical lines of the last frame (from rawmagic). Can these interface lines be related to the line error?

briwil

Quote from: simulacro on June 24, 2013, 07:31:26 PM
The new build's interface has "buffer use"(?) lines above the raw frame counter, and for me, they look similar to the vertical lines of the last frame (from rawmagic). Can these interface lines be related to the line error?

I'm sure those buffer lines have nothing to do with the last frames being corrupted.
Didn't 1% already comment on this earlier?-

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 07:30:35 PM
Its basically happening when raw is stopping, not much I can do, just write off last 2 or 3 frames (a1ex already cuts the last one I think).

Just don't use the last frames of your clip?

1%

Yea basically, if its 60 bad frames then we have to find whats wrong... if its like 1 or 3, just cut them off.

swaneon

hello
I was wondering how long can the 50d record at 1080p or near 1080p resolution?
thank you.

1%

Until your card runs out.... like 15 minutes max on 64 card.