50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: crash-film on June 23, 2013, 02:27:31 PM
with 1%s latest build 80point1 i get nearly 80 MB/s writing speed in 1920x1072 @ 24 fps on a 64 GB Komputerbay x1000 card.

the first frame is in 80% of the files okay. all other frames are completely pink. in every .raw file.
tried different drawing modes in 1:1 crop mode but has no effects for me. uncropped mode is flawless.

in other posts i read this is a issue for a lot of people, but there are reports only a few files are corrupted.
what raw unpacker do you guys use?
i´m using raw2cdng  1.1.6 (lowering white levels has no effect since the whole image is affected)

tried to swap rgb channels. no correct solution.

I managed to fix it but the downside is that it might cause the same 'pink' issues with silent pics. https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600.50D.ML.Border.Fix.Test.Build.Not.Official.zip This is based on Unified code and doesn't have 1%'s cache hack for increasing speed so you're not gonna get 81MB/s.

I'm currently testing 1%'s new code. I'm sure he will upload a build when we're sure it's working.

As for your pink footage, the video I shot in 1080p also had pink frames. It's easily remedied in Davinci Resolve Lite. Just use auto-color in the first node (it's the round 'A' button in the color wheels panel) and then apply CC, sharpening etc (be sure to set it to Black Magic Film in Raw Camera settings).
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: galaxy on June 23, 2013, 03:30:58 PM
My battery ends up very quick in RAW recording, is it normal?

How old is you battery? What are it's voltage and mAh?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

galaxy

It's original 50D's battery 1400mah 7.4v as i remember. I didn't noticed that it discarged fast in regular use, but in raw recording i have about 5-10 min. It's quite old, 2 year. How long your battery lives in raw? Maybe my battery is just old, i don't know.

simulacro

Quote from: Andy600 on June 23, 2013, 01:41:30 PM
What all raw videos look like this or just the last one?

Only the last clip, when the card is full. If I erase one clip and record anything, the same error. Something between 3-15 frames with those weird lines at the end of the clip

Andy600

Quote from: galaxy on June 23, 2013, 03:58:15 PM
It's original 50D's battery 1400mah 7.4v as i remember. I didn't noticed that it discarged fast in regular use, but in raw recording i have about 5-10 min. It's quite old, 2 year. How long your battery lives in raw? Maybe my battery is just old, i don't know.

How long does it last in regular movie mode? Raw video does seem a bit power hungry but I have a 5 year old battery that lasts about 20 mins. I would advise getting a new battery or better still get a couple. I bought 2 cheap replacement 1600 mAh 7.4v unbranded after-market batteries and they give me about 40 mins each. My card can get filled and formatted several times on one charge.

Andy600

Quote from: simulacro on June 23, 2013, 04:05:12 PM
Only the last clip, when the card is full. If I erase one clip and record anything, the same error. Something between 3-15 frames with those weird lines at the end of the clip

Maybe try stopping recording manually before the card maxes out. It should show a warning when your card is full?

simulacro

Quote from: Andy600 on June 23, 2013, 04:08:25 PM
Maybe try stopping recording manually before the card maxes out. It should show a warning when your card is full?
Yeah, i see the warning, something like "there is an error, maybe the card is full"

the clips with the error:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc49OhjJPJQ&feature=youtu.be

1%

The free space doesn't update for a while. I know because I keep refilling /deleting the card.

crash-film

thank you andy!

pretty frustrating since i use resolve for a while, but somehow the images come pretty dirty and noisy in resolve.
i still prefer ACR, it is much slower but the images are a lot cleaner.
or is this all just a preview/real time issue of resolve?

using 1%s side effects build the pink images are gone for some image size settings. will keep testing on this.

what´s the reason for the pink? is it a recording or a decoding/debayering issue?

Viente

Andy, with your build i have to take the battery off every time after i switch off the camera in order to make it working again...
Just want to let you know  :)

1%

Andy600

Quote from: Viente on June 23, 2013, 04:40:10 PM
Andy, with your build i have to take the battery off every time after i switch off the camera in order to make it working again...
Just want to let you know  :)

Thanks. Not happening on my camera. Maybe delete all your config files.

Try 1%'s new build. It's working well here with dialog timers disabled in the menu (set before switching to Live View)

Viente

1%, the last frame of the footage appears corrupted on your latest build here...Plase let me know if you need more info.

goldenchild9to5

Running footage through Davinci Resolve is clean plus it gives you the option to convert to Film Log mode which is a plus.   

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 23, 2013, 05:38:46 PM
Running footage through Davinci Resolve is clean plus it gives you the option to convert to Film Log mode which is a plus.

Not to mention the waaaay better sharpening, upscaling, anti-aliasing etc. The tracker is also amazing for image stabilization and for using chroma blurring (in a window or a qualified selection) to reduce moire if a shot has it. ;)

artiswar

Quote from: Andy600 on June 23, 2013, 05:42:15 PM
Not to mention the waaaay better sharpening, upscaling, anti-aliasing etc. The tracker is also amazing for image stabilization and for using chroma blurring (in a window or a qualified selection) to reduce moire if a shot has it. ;)

Noticeable improvement to footage when at export you choose "Force to highest res" and "force debayer to highest quality."

Andy600

1% - random OT thought: I wonder if it's possible to take picture styles out of the equation when recording H.264. i.e. switch them off. This, as i understand is done prior to encoding; so could the pre-encoder feed be intercepted to do this? If so, we would have H.264 footage that matches raw video (albeit compressed and 8bit).

Andy600

Quote from: artiswar on June 23, 2013, 05:47:46 PM
Noticeable improvement to footage when at export you choose "Force to highest res" and "force debayer to highest quality."

Yes, I do that by default. TBH no NLE that I have used comes close to the quality you can get (with a bit of work) from Resolve.

dhallowell19

Sorry if I've missed something, but when I try any of the builds more recent than about June 15th my raw write speeds have dropped to 35-45Mb/s at 1x crop, largest image size.  I've reformatted cards, rebuild core ML, used all the settings that were working before (Global Draw:LiveView, fps override, etc.) -- still it seems odd.  (KompBay 64G 1K card). There was an Andy600 build with a 'fast_raw' that worked fine - then I moved to the mainstream builds and I'm going backwards.  I'm hoping that I might have missed something obvious and that someone might set me straight.
I've searched for answers and read all the posts under this topic.

Many thanks,
D

Andy600

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 23, 2013, 05:52:42 PM
Sorry if I've missed something, but when I try any of the builds more recent than about June 15th my raw write speeds have dropped to 35-45Mb/s at 1x crop, largest image size.  I've reformatted cards, rebuild core ML, used all the settings that were working before (Global Draw:LiveView, fps override, etc.) -- still it seems odd.  (KompBay 64G 1K card). There was an Andy600 build with a 'fast_raw' that worked fine - then I moved to the mainstream builds and I'm going backwards.  I'm hoping that I might have missed something obvious and that someone might set me straight.
I've searched for answers and read all the posts under this topic.

Many thanks,
D

If you want speed see Reply #1760 ;)

1%

May be possible to cache hack away the picture style step.. but I don't think it will help make it any more raw_like.

1%, the last frame of the footage appears corrupted on your latest build here...Plase let me know if you need more info.

You mean the very last frame? Its supposed to cut that off? Or it cuts off 1 and the one before that is corrupted?

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 23, 2013, 05:58:14 PM
May be possible to cache hack away the picture style step.. but I don't think it will help make it any more raw_like.

Not for resolution or color depth of course but it should match raw's colors no? I'm just curios to see what a no-picture-style, post encoded compressed image looks like. It would be linear wouldn't it?

crash-film

hmmm......okay.

but do you also have the problem of flickering images in resolve? every now and then theres a heavily darker image.
and there´s some blue and red noise at the image borders.

sorry for my questions but visually ACR gives me from the start  less noise and since ACR is optimized for photo camera raw and the different raw interpretation methods of ACR changed during the last years noticeable. i think there´s a lot of optimization going on in the background. also not to forget the easy possibility to remove CA.

but i´ll continue experimenting with resolve.

edit: just compared one shot in ACR to resolve. somehow pink (maybe) dead pixels visible in resolve are gone via ACR.

Andy600

Quote from: crash-film on June 23, 2013, 06:03:50 PM
hmmm......okay.

but do you also have the problem of flickering images in resolve? every now and then theres a heavily darker image.
and there´s some blue and red noise at the image borders....

I've not noticed that on any raw footage I've put through Resolve. Did you set camera raw to BMD Film etc? ACR is known to cause flicker. I don't use it at all. I denoise in AE and lens choice/settings helps with CA.

I convert to 12bit Cinema DNG btw.

1%

It won't match the raw colors, the conversion to 8 bit is what messes it up and you can't take that out.