50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 22, 2013, 03:45:21 PM
Hmm.. should actually try his cache hack for all the time and see if it fixes the menus.

Ok also what about shutter speeds?

In movie mode if you follow the timer real speeds are like 1/24 - something... the gui still lets you turn past it and then ML can freeze. Not locking the speeds gives you fake shutters that don't change expo and you still lock when in movie mode it goes to like 20".

I've noticed shutter speeds can be a bit random but don't dip below min shutter speed selected for me (movie mode). I tend to shoot 23.976p, 24p or 25p (because I'm in Europe) and noticed last night under tungsten lighting that I was getting flicker at 24p and had to push up the shutter speed, probably because of FPS override. Would be good (as Driftwood just mentioned in the 5d3 topic) to set a better base shutter in movie mode when using auto ETTR.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@1% - Still having issues with Bit Bucket? Maybe delete some older downloads?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

GregoryOfManhattan

hey Andy600, how are you fixing black point errors in Resolve?
for stills, there are many ways - like the free gimp (see screenshot below with your DNG)
lift doesn't do the same thing as shifting the black point does - so if you have any Resolve tips for adjusting this, let me know.

Andy600

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 22, 2013, 05:32:53 PM
hey Andy600, how are you fixing black point errors in Resolve?
for stills, there are many ways - like the free gimp (see screenshot below with your DNG)
lift doesn't do the same thing as shifting the black point does - so if you have any Resolve tips for adjusting this, let me know.

It's just 1 button press ;)

In the 3-way Color panel just hit the A (auto color) button. It's bottom-left of screen.

I apply Black Magic film settings in Camera Raw (per clip or project) then auto correct the first node, then apply a LUT (I like the Black Magic Film LUT or the Arri Alexa LUT) and grade to taste. Also, WB settings in camera raw are worth playing with but i didn't for the video.

I didn't really do much more than add some Luma sharpening, saturation and slight gamma lift for that test video.

rockfallfilms

Regarding 5x crop can someone tell if what I'm doing is correct?

I activate the following in the menus:

This is the view i get in 5x crop mode

This is what it's like whilst recording:

and this is what the dng looks like.

Is this correct or should i be seeing more of the frame on liveview? As it stands composing a shot is difficult as the LV image differs greatly from the recorded one.

Cheers

Andy600

@rockfallfilms you should be seeing more but I think Grayscale Preview is broken or maybe bypassed atm. I have the same issue now.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on June 22, 2013, 05:49:07 PM
@rockfallfilms you should be seeing more but I think Grayscale Preview is broken or maybe bypassed atm. I have the same issue now.

Ah right, at least it's not just me then. Do you get the black line on the left of frame too?

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 22, 2013, 06:08:34 PM
Ah right, at least it's not just me then. Do you get the black line on the left of frame too?

Yes, it depends on the resolution selected. It's being worked on atm

galaxy

I have a question. I use "80point1" build, i can't set the sutter speed to 1/500, 1/1000 or more. In RAW recording, the image brightness stays like i'ts 1/200. When i take a picture, its brightness matches 1/1000 as i set. Is it the way to set the sutter speed more than 1/200 in RAW video recording?

Andy600

@RockFallFilms - Can you try this build and let me know if you're still getting that left border. try normal and crop, largest resolutions you can select.

The test again with width set to 1920 x (any height)

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600.50D.ML.Border.Fix.Test.Build.Not.Official.zip

Delete your raw config file first.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on June 22, 2013, 06:22:28 PM
@RockFallFilms - Can you try this build and let me know if you're still getting that left border. try normal and crop, largest resolutions you can select.

The test again with width set to 1920 x (any height)

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600.50D.ML.Border.Fix.Test.Build.Not.Official.zip

Delete your raw config file first.

Yeah that's fixed it, no black borders now at the following resolutions:

1584x892
1984*1080
1920*818

I did get all pink frames when shooting at 1344x756 though.

araucaria

Andy, did you have another look at that EDMAC thing you were looking at to get more resolution?

1%

Yea, I dunno, I get that black line.. esp on raw zebras.. I think the skips are fucked.

If it "works' when you change res its just cutting off the black skip area.

BTW, grayscale preview needs GD ON.

* I can't delete anything on bitbucked.. download page just logs me out as if they banned me from uploading or something.

Andy600

Quote from: araucaria on June 22, 2013, 06:46:38 PM
Andy, did you have another look at that EDMAC thing you were looking at to get more resolution?

Yes, we're already using it so it's not news ;D

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 22, 2013, 06:49:27 PM
Yea, I dunno, I get that black line.. esp on raw zebras.. I think the skips are fucked.

If it "works' when you change res its just cutting off the black skip area.

BTW, grayscale preview needs GD ON.

* I can't delete anything on bitbucked.. download page just logs me out as if they banned me from uploading or something.

See: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg54060#msg54060 (if you haven't already)  ;)

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on June 22, 2013, 06:50:59 PM
Yes, were already using it so it's not news ;D
So is there coming more res? :p

1%

From where exactly. Its zoom size or regular size.

araucaria

Quote from: 1% on June 22, 2013, 07:57:38 PM
From where exactly. Its zoom size or regular size.

I was asking about zoom size, I thought when reading a comment by Andy600 that maybe the zoom stream was bigger than 20xx X 10xx  but apparently it's not that way.

1%

If g3gg0 figures out something from the sensor logger.. maybe.. good luck recording it tho.. 1080P or 1038 is about where it maxes write speed. Would help for silent pics.. hopefully no more corruption on those.

araucaria

Quote from: 1% on June 22, 2013, 08:10:35 PM
If g3gg0 figures out something from the sensor logger.. maybe.. good luck recording it tho.. 1080P or 1038 is about where it maxes write speed. Would help for silent pics.. hopefully no more corruption on those.

Yes but if there were 2560 for example, and you could still get 80mb/s, that would make 2560x780@24 or for a more useful format 1:2.50 would give theoretical 2234x893@24.
Anyway, it's just daydreaming ^^.

1%

Yea, not a bad plan. Hopefully something will get found out. Right now its just speculation :(

simulacro

I'm getting these kind of frames when the card is full and camera stops recording

I'm shooting with the last june 20 build and a 60MB/s sandisk extreme card. Recording about 380-450 frames before the camera stops recording.

Andy600

Quote from: simulacro on June 23, 2013, 12:34:55 PM
I'm getting these kind of frames when the card is full and camera stops recording

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm shooting with the last june 20 build and a 60MB/s sandisk extreme card. Recording about 380-450 frames before the camera stops recording.

What all raw videos look like this or just the last one?

crash-film

with 1%s latest build 80point1 i get nearly 80 MB/s writing speed in 1920x1072 @ 24 fps on a 64 GB Komputerbay x1000 card.

the first frame is in 80% of the files okay. all other frames are completely pink. in every .raw file.
tried different drawing modes in 1:1 crop mode but has no effects for me. uncropped mode is flawless.

in other posts i read this is a issue for a lot of people, but there are reports only a few files are corrupted.
what raw unpacker do you guys use?
i´m using raw2cdng  1.1.6 (lowering white levels has no effect since the whole image is affected)

tried to swap rgb channels. no correct solution.

galaxy

My battery ends up very quick in RAW recording, is it normal?