50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

The problem is the raw frame is larger than the preview area. Grayscale preview does I think the whole frame not 1024x640 or whatever of it.

nightvision04

Here's a bit of 1920x 1040 from my 50d. Quick Test for latitude. I accidentally severely underexposed the face yet I was able to bring most of it back. F7 in low light. Wow. A 50mm f1.8 lens was used.

Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

a1ex

Quote from: Andy600 on June 21, 2013, 01:30:06 AM
http://we.tl/ua04qhB1wp 12bit CDNG & Post frame grab Jpegs

I knew it... black level is wrong on all of them...

Can you take some silent pics in the same video mode, and send me the dng?

artiswar

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on June 21, 2013, 01:31:22 AM
Have you set snap to center 5x in zoom box settings? Then press joystick in zoom mode to center on the crop area.

Yeah I've got that selected aswell. I get the greyscale preview when recording but the view stays the same with or without it. I still only get to see the middle of the crop.

I'll format the card later and try a fresh install, maybe something has got screwed up.

rommex

I was testing Unified Build of 19 June.

I often increase contrast of images to see some textures/bugs that are not obvious but could pop up in post.

That's the texture that I saw:

100% crop

And also with x5 zoom:

100% crop

I was doing stable shooting @1600 at Transcend x600 card.

CaptainOfObvious

Still getting 57-60MB/s in 1:1mode, am I missing something?

Viente

Is it possible to move record & buffer information a bit higher so it won't overlap recording image?  ::)

1%

Above, I have this done.

Hmmm... so black level is still wrong, I haven't had the chance to check it yet. Maybe should look at that today.

galaxy

Dumb question: how to open submenu in ML on 50D? On my 600D it appears when i press "Q" button.

FUNC.  :)

Another one. When live view is on, the brightness on the screen is changing everytime i direct the camera to the bright and dark. How to disable that? And what is normal temperature for the chip?

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 02:56:43 PM
Above, I have this done.
Hmmm... so black level is still wrong, I haven't had the chance to check it yet. Maybe should look at that today.
what in the appearance tells you the black level is off?
JulianH and I both measured the DNG size could that have changed or been shifted this past week?
easy enough to shoot some DNGs and find out.
the pink/ magenta clips seem to be an occasional anomaly of the recent [50]80pt1 build ( 2 out of 34 clips had this and it covered the whole frame unlike KahL issue).

this build showed rates as high as 80.5 MB/s but i wonder about the actual data rate required for 1920x1072p23.976 - isn't that 82.4 MB/s?
is the tragic lantern slowing down the frame rate or is it actually recording at a rate greater than the display?
does 50D at 11 really = 83 MB/s?

thanks for everything - love the look even in very low light - ran out to grab some shots late last night : http://vimeo.com/gregoryo/50d-1080p
if i can get any time tonight to try a grade, i'll repost it.

johansugarev

Are your 50D's heating up? After 20 minutes of raw video shooting mine gets to about 50deg. C. It does the same for about an hour continuous h.264 shooting. I shot a concert for two hours straight last week and the camera was pretty hot. The reading showed 57deg.
Normally when I fire it up it shows about 35deg.
How hot should I let it go before I give it a break?

rommex

galaxy

When i turn on thу camera it was 35C, I did 1 test raw recording (3 sec) and it boosted from 35C to 43C. I just thought that it's quite quick.

ddueck88

New guy here, everything seems straightforward, I just have a couple questions because I haven't seen them addressed in the forums thus far:

1) My crop mode clips are pink. My full-sensor clips are fine. What gives?

2) Besides shooting in crop mode, disabling everything I can in the Canon menus, and leaving as little up to the camera as I can (e.g. AWB etc), and turning off Global Draw, what specifically can I do to optimize this camera for higher write speeds? My benchmarks regularly top out at 50-55mb/s and I'm using a 1000x/32GB card. I haven't ruled out the card being bad, but before I send it back what can I do to verify it's not fast enough?

dsManning

Quote from: ddueck88 on June 21, 2013, 05:26:17 PM
New guy here, everything seems straightforward, I just have a couple questions because I haven't seen them addressed in the forums thus far:

1) My crop mode clips are pink. My full-sensor clips are fine. What gives?

2) Besides shooting in crop mode, disabling everything I can in the Canon menus, and leaving as little up to the camera as I can (e.g. AWB etc), and turning off Global Draw, what specifically can I do to optimize this camera for higher write speeds? My benchmarks regularly top out at 50-55mb/s and I'm using a 1000x/32GB card. I haven't ruled out the card being bad, but before I send it back what can I do to verify it's not fast enough?

Same issues with 5x pink frames.  Regular sensor frames are fine.

I have the same card (and am doing a bit faster than yours) and have been tweaking settings like crazy to try to get close to 80mb/s.  I'm capping at about 67mb/s right now. 

Running mlmod Jun20th build by GregoryOfManhattan with the stock raw module included in that pack.

ddueck88

Quote from: dsManning on June 21, 2013, 05:33:45 PM
Running mlmod Jun20th build by GregoryOfManhattan with the stock raw module included in that pack.

I forgot to mention what build I'm using, my bad, but yes, this is the same one I'm running.

nightvision04

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 03:43:18 AM
You have to kill the dialog timers with don't click me and then get into LV.. second record speeds up. Do first in regular mode before you zoom.

1200+ frames of 1920x1072
1000+ 1984x1056
1920x1040 - supposed to be continuous but my card filled

This is the key. I'm getting 77 Mb/s average.

Also I should mention, I'm getting pink frames on 80% of 1:1 @ 1920 x 1040. GregoryOfManhatten build with 1%'s side effect modules. Im using a Toshiba 1066x Exceria 64gb.

Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

a1ex

What about this?

/* change dialog refresh timer from 50ms to 1024ms */
    if (MEM(0xffa84e00) == 0xe3a00032) /* mov r0, #50 */
        cache_fake(0xffa84e00, 0xE3A00B01, TYPE_ICACHE); /* change to mov r0, #1024 */

Should be a bit cleaner (no major side effects).

7thRest

The dreaded Pink screen:

I was using a 1.4 50mm Nikkor S.C with aperture wide open and ETTR enabled (was using 1%'s -don't click me). I noticed when the I changed the ML digital ISO to -2.0 EV I got pink frames, when I zeroed it out I got the friendly screen back. Could be an issue but, ND filters will work for now.

And yes, my 50D heats up quite quickly on this build but, I think a1ex has figured it out.
50D ML RAW, 60D ML

GregoryOfManhattan

temperature - usually 43 with some builds i have transiently hit 57.

does anyone have their 50D and computer near enough eachother to shoot some Silent Picture mode DNGs at regular and zoom mode and upload them?

in response to some color issues, 1% asked for current silent picture mode DNGs - it is especially important if you take one and see a black border of any width - so shoot a light color object or otherwise expose in some way so that any potential black border is visible.

perhaps something has changed which affect the calculations using offsets - i see that the offsets for the 5D2 were adjusted again a couple of days ago.

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on June 21, 2013, 07:44:26 AM
I knew it... black level is wrong on all of them...

Can you take some silent pics in the same video mode, and send me the dng?

@a1ex - Sorry, I was away all day and didn't have a chance to do this sooner.

I've uploaded some silent pics taken with the same settings as last night's 1080p video and also a few with today's commits (just compiled myself). Black level is still wrong.

http://we.tl/GC7rduWeiW  (guys, these are very uninteresting test shots FAO a1ex so please don't waste your time downloading them :) )

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rockfallfilms

I'm still having an issue with previewing in 5x zoom mode, only getting the centre part visible so framing is hard.

I've activated the settings people have mentioned and I'm beginning to think I might have a faulty camera/button but just wanted to check again.

My settings are:

Prefs, snap points - "center to 5x raw"
Movie, Raw video, preview, "ML Grayscale"

When i press the joystick in 5x mode it just takes me back into the ML menu.

Any ideas?

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 21, 2013, 10:26:58 PM
I'm still having an issue with previewing in 5x zoom mode, only getting the centre part visible so framing is hard.

I've activated the settings people have mentioned and I'm beginning to think I might have a faulty camera/button but just wanted to check again.

My settings are:

Prefs, snap points - "center to 5x raw"
Movie, Raw video, preview, "ML Grayscale"

When i press the joystick it just takes me back into the ML menu.

Any ideas?

What build are you using?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on June 21, 2013, 10:27:53 PM
What build are you using?

Todays unified that @gregory posted at the bottom of the other thread.

Just tried your June 18th build and get the same issue.