50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightvision04

Quote from: 1% on June 20, 2013, 05:46:40 AM
It is a bit bootleg, needs some refinement.. and I think after some recording the last chunk shrinks. Wonder what diff order would do now.

Well any more speed an the camera will just record full res. Its close now. Some side effects are that you lose all dialogs.

That's going to blow up tomorrow in the news. As soon as I saw the post about 80Mbs, I ran to pick up a 50d. Looking forward to running the Toshiba 1066x through some tests.
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

Rawolution

Great job devs, where are paypal donation links, I'd like to send some beer to ease the coding in the hot summer :)

And question, is there a hardware limit to fps speed, it would be nice to be able to use 720x480@100fps?

Regards!

Viente

1%, i can shoot only in 1536 instead of 1584 with your build, is there is something wrong i do?   ::)

Andy600

75MB/s on a 600x Transcend  ;D This is crazy! Nice work man.

@Viente - 1534 is correct. It uses the 512-byte rounding method so 512x3 = 1534. It's less work for the CPU to process

I guess it would be useful for the raw_module to auto-switch to the 512-byte rounding method at 30p and in crop mode. That way we retain max width in normal mode. Normal mode can shoot continuous (16:9) using the old method so it doesn't benefit it as much. Easy done with 2 modules but can it be done in 1?

BTW 1% - I haven't a clue if this is useful but I was looking at EDMAC and #5 is 2912 x 1083 - maybe larger frame sizes are possible? (I don't understand EDMAC TBH)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: nightvision04 on June 20, 2013, 09:38:44 AM
That's going to blow up tomorrow in the news. As soon as I saw the post about 80Mbs, I ran to pick up a 50d....

You mean the previous news that the 50d could shoot continuous raw video wasn't enough to tempt you?  ;D

I just wonder what (if it works) will do for the 5d2 & 3. Looks like steady 2k and above might become a reality soon on the 5d3
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on June 20, 2013, 12:17:38 PM
75MB/s on a 600x Transcend  ;D This is crazy! Nice work man.

@Viente - 1534 is correct. It uses the 512-byte rounding method so 512x3 = 1534. It's less work for the CPU to process

I guess it would be useful for the raw_module to auto-switch to the 512-byte rounding method at 30p and in crop mode. That way we retain max width in normal mode. Normal mode can shoot continuous (16:9) using the old method so it doesn't benefit it as much. Easy done with 2 modules but can it be done in 1?

BTW 1% - I haven't a clue if this is useful but I was looking at EDMAC and #5 is 2912 x 1083 - maybe larger frame sizes are possible? (I don't understand EDMAC TBH)

that would be amazong 2500x780 or something like that would be 80mb/s. Nice for panoramic shots and fighting against the extreme crop of 5x zoom on 1.6 sensor.

Andy600

Quote from: araucaria on June 20, 2013, 01:11:05 PM
that would be amazong 2500x780 or something like that would be 80mb/s. Nice for panoramic shots and fighting against the extreme crop of 5x zoom on 1.6 sensor.

Yes, but don't get your hopes up

rommex

Hey all,
Does anyone know if there is any good progress with truncating 14 bits to 12 bits? Together with the new writing speeds 12 bits would rock )

Andy, using your Transcend x600 card what max resolution you can run steadily @25p? My card is on the way, I'd like to know what to realistically expect ) thank you man

Andy600

@rommex - TBH I don't know now. Everything just changed with 1%'s discovery. I could record non-stop 16:9 and 5:3 (width 1583) no problem. I'm just trying crop modes now and I can get 10-12 seconds at 1920 x 1072. Hoping my Komputerbay card gets here today  ::)

crash-film

now got the komputerbay 32 GB x1000

and i can verify all of your speeds and resolutions. even 2000x836 @23,9 was right from the start no problem. i really wonder, where this will end now...... great work!!!

KahL

I mentioned this in the test thread as well. I got a ton of pink frames during a hot (85-degree) exterior shoot yesterday afternoon (not 1% latest build).
Is this a heat related issue by any chance?

crash-film

there´s another idea i got to overcome the lacking sound ability of the 50D:

is it possible, to fire the flash when raw recording starts?

one could use a regular video camera/dslr as a 2nd unit (e.g. in interviews) to record the sound and then sync both cams using the flash.

it would also be thinkable to record the flash sound via a cheap lavalier microphone and mixing it into the sound signal using a production mixer. this could save the 2nd camera, replacing it by a regular external sound recorder.
fine tuning should be possible with the ttl-settings....

could be some kind of a hardware hack.

1%

The worst I got was a couple of bad frames at the begining.. pink on 600D just like that is from CPU usage.. ie GD on, display filter on, etc.

This lowers CPU by like 10% so should help with that too. Yes, I kept the restriction on frame sizes.. easiest thing would be just to add some back and try it out. Anyone really want the couple of pixels?

In crop mode 1920x1040 kept going most of the time. The 1072 writes slower it seems.

And it does work on other cameras.. 6D got 41MB so 5d3 will probably cruise along at whatever its top speed is. I was actually hoping a1ex with his greater knowledge would find a nicer way to do this but there may be no nicer way, who knows. I can try flipping it on in LV, and see if it speeds up after a few records, then it can just be turned on/off with raw.

necronomfive

Quote from: 1% on June 20, 2013, 02:42:23 PM
This lowers CPU by like 10% so should help with that too. Yes, I kept the restriction on frame sizes.. easiest thing would be just to add some back and try it out. Anyone really want the couple of pixels?

In 1x mode, yes please, since even with the May 28th build, it has never been a problem to record the full sensor size of 1584x1062. I think the 50 pixels matter.

1%

Never been a problem to record the small LV size though, the bandwidth is pretty low... tons of idle.

Andy600

Just looking at some 1920 x 1040 shots (managed about 10-15 seconds each on my 600x card). Just :o

necronomfive

Hmmm, it seems that when I copy %1 newest build over a freshly installed unified ML build from June 19th, the camera freezes when raw_rec is being loaded. Do I do something wrong here?

Andy600

Quote from: necronomfive on June 20, 2013, 03:51:07 PM
Hmmm, it seems that when I copy %1 newest build over a freshly installed unified ML build from June 19th, the camera freezes when raw_rec is being loaded. Do I do something wrong here?

Just be sure the modules folder goes into the ML folder. I had the same thing last night when I was sleepy and didn't notice the modules were outside of ML

Andy600

robertgl

Quote from: crash-film on June 20, 2013, 02:35:05 PM
there´s another idea i got to overcome the lacking sound ability of the 50D:

is it possible, to fire the flash when raw recording starts?

one could use a regular video camera/dslr as a 2nd unit (e.g. in interviews) to record the sound and then sync both cams using the flash.

it would also be thinkable to record the flash sound via a cheap lavalier microphone and mixing it into the sound signal using a production mixer. this could save the 2nd camera, replacing it by a regular external sound recorder.
fine tuning should be possible with the ttl-settings....

could be some kind of a hardware hack.
I think it's best to go the tired and trusted way and use a clapperboard.. other ways i've read are  a pop gun, or a keychain pet clicker

Andy600

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 20, 2013, 01:28:04 AM
Andy600, sounds like 1% is suggesting that we merge the code. lets do that and post a test build tomorrow - separate from unified. try it, see what happens and merge on Friday.

I think things are moving very fast ATM with 1%'s refresh hack and a1ex's buffer sort. Both have dramatically upped the game. If they can be combined we'll certainly get continuous Full HD on the 50d. Probably better to wait for the new stuff to mature a little and for us to fully test before merging?

One thing is for sure, another big raw video news story is about to happen  8)

Viente

Please guys, bring back full width for 1:1 mode :) I had no problems with that. And since we have to upscale the footage every pixel is important! And with smaller width i have to worry about correct framing.

pulsar124

It sounds the RAW hack is super battery hungry - do any of you use a battery grip for your 50D? What kind? Are there grips which provide a lot of power through AA batteries? The ones I saw take 6 AAs; with my Eneloops (2000mAh) it's only 40% more Wh than a single BP-511 battery, doesn't look interesting. Are there grips which would have triple or more the Whs of BP-511? I never had a need for grip, with my 3 batteries, but now with the video feature I might reconsider.

Going back to my question of a beep at the video recording start - I really hope it will materialize. I just received my Zoom H1 recorder - really cool stuff! It'd be great to have a convenient way to sync its audio with the 50D video.

robertgl

any risks with this setup ?
12V battery > inverter to 110v > AC adapter >50D ?