50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulforte

Is it likely the 50D will one day be able to record 23.98 at 1920 x 1080?

1%

The zoom mode res is close to that... we'd have to get LV edmacs killed to try to get enough speed.

No force left... did a search of the  FW for regs. Section that has force left on the other cameras is missing... fw is too old. Anything with LV_STATE won't have it.

briwil

Quote from: 1% on June 19, 2013, 11:16:21 PM
The zoom mode res is close to that... we'd have to get LV edmacs killed to try to get enough speed.

So non-crop mode will never be able to do more than 1592x1062, yeah?

I'm fine with that for what it is, I'm not complaining; but I really don't think I'll ever be able to shoot anything in crop mode, I don't see myself being able to compose a shot with a good chunk of it offscreen.

hijodeibn

OK! I finally got my 50d and a Lexar 32GB 1000x.......now is time for the first noob question (first time I ever touch a canon camera).
I did update the firmware and installed ML 2.3v and looks like everything is ok, but now I have to install RAW and a little confused, what`s next?, I think I have to format the card again (is there an option to format the card from ML menu or do i have to do it from canon menu?) and then copy in the card the following files: autoexec.bin and the directory ML with all subdirectories from one of the builds that Gregory has released......then just turn on and ready?

briwil

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 20, 2013, 12:16:21 AM
OK! I finally got my 50d and a Lexar 32GB 1000x.......now is time for the first noob question (first time I ever touch a canon camera).
I did update the firmware and installed ML 2.3v and looks like everything is ok, but now I have to install RAW and a little confused, what`s next?, I think I have to format the card again (is there an option to format the card from ML menu or do i have to do it from canon menu?) and then copy in the card the following files: autoexec.bin and the directory ML with all subdirectories from one of the builds that Gregory has released......then just turn on and ready?

I don't think you need to reformat the card; you should just be able to copy the files from Gregory's build onto the card, overriding the files that you already have on the card from the orignal ML install, and you're good to go.

And this assuming you already made the card bootable with macboot.

1%

I've fixed the "flicker" with 2 cache hacks... I think.

ROM:FFB52D94                 BL      str_UnvisibleLvDialogItemForBlackout

The offending function is there....

For crop mode, what do you mean you can't compose the shot.. just use ML grayscale preview.. display filter works off my repo.. .should be merged to main.

Shit maybe spoke too soon, will keep looking.

Well now I kinda did it but it never updates... there is a startdialogrefreshtimer called 3x, kill them and canon stops being crazy. I'm looking at one spot where its called after some msleep.

ROM:FFA872D4                 BEQ     loc_FFA872F0
ROM:FFA872D8                 LDR     R0, [R4,#0x30]
ROM:FFA872DC                 CMP     R0, #1
ROM:FFA872E0                 BNE     loc_FFA872F0
ROM:FFA872E4                 MOV     R0, #8
ROM:FFA872E8                 BL      msleep
ROM:FFA872EC                 STR     R6, [R4,#0x30]
ROM:FFA872F0
ROM:FFA872F0 loc_FFA872F0                            ; CODE XREF: sub_FFA86E8C+448j
ROM:FFA872F0                                         ; sub_FFA86E8C+454j
ROM:FFA872F0                 BL      str_StartDialogRefreshTimer
ROM:FFA872F4                 B       loc_FFA880E0   

briwil

Quote from: 1% on June 20, 2013, 12:29:26 AM
For crop mode, what do you mean you can't compose the shot.. just use ML grayscale preview.. display filter works off my repo.. .should be merged to main.

Well, I think I may just be an idiot, I don't know anything about grayscale previews or their existence; I'll go do my research, thanks.

Andy600

Quote from: briwil on June 20, 2013, 12:34:44 AM
Well, I think I may just be an idiot, I don't know anything about grayscale previews or their existence; I'll go do my research, thanks.

You set preview mode in the raw module. Grayscale preview in crop mode shows corrected frame albeit in a lower quality.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

GregoryOfManhattan

Andy600, sounds like 1% is suggesting that we merge the code. lets do that and post a test build tomorrow - separate from unified. try it, see what happens and merge on Friday.

albert-e

Quote from: briwil on June 20, 2013, 12:25:31 AM
I don't think you need to reformat the card; you should just be able to copy the files from Gregory's build onto the card, overriding the files that you already have on the card from the orignal ML install, and you're good to go.

And this assuming you already made the card bootable with macboot.

When do we need Macboot.? It was never mentioned in ML Installation. Do we need to use to properly install ML and forward.?

araucaria

Just got my 32gb komputerbay 1000x, getting 70mb/s continous recording in 1:1 mode, 67mb/s in crop mode, using the unified 19/6 build.

1%

Got 76MB/s now from stopping the refresh. Its faster in zoom for some reason.

Ha! I was recording 30P.. get 80MB/s in 24P.

Lulz, I'm recording almost 1080P steady.

Probably makes sense to run the don't click me before opening LV. 2nd or 3rd record in reggo mode should get you up to speed, then switch to 5X.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5B50D%5D%20Side%20Effects.zip

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on June 20, 2013, 02:22:22 AM
Got 76MB/s now from stopping the refresh. Its faster in zoom for some reason.

Ha! I was recording 30P.. get 80MB/s in 24P.

Lulz, I'm recording almost 1080P steady.

UNBELIEVABLE   :o

;D ;D ;D

1%

Don't set your camera on fire... maybe this will work on others... lowers cpu usage tho.

Switching between photo and movie helps... seems to write the same in both eventually tho.

1920x1040 is decent the 1072 isn't continuous.

GD deff off at record. If there was a way to kill edmacs or lower cpu usage it could write faster. I think kill flicker on top helps but may not... test away.

nightvision04

Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

robertgl

ok i guess i'ts time to get a 1000x card now

dsManning

Quote from: robertgl on June 20, 2013, 03:26:53 AM
ok i guess i'ts time to get a 1000x card now

Yup, cruising along @ 30fps and even had enough buffer and idle to turn raw histogram on during recording.  Getting about 73-76mb/s write and still have some idle.  Wonderful work :)

truelove

Quote from: dsManning on June 20, 2013, 03:39:14 AM
Yup, cruising along @ 30fps and even had enough buffer and idle to turn raw histogram on during recording.  Getting about 73-76mb/s write and still have some idle.  Wonderful work :)

Lurker here! Just want to say that I am so thrilled with the work you all are doing and that I am having the time of my life grading raw video (in AE). I got a lightly used 50d three weeks ago and have been dragging it with me everywhere! You all have renewed my passion of shooting and for that I am so grateful.  :)

My latest little vid: http://vimeo.com/m/68553373

robertgl

that looks very good.. clean images and has sortof an emulsion quality to it.. also no aliasing.. what res did you shoot at?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 20, 2013, 03:11:40 AM

Don't set your camera on fire... maybe this will work on others... lowers cpu usage tho.

Switching between photo and movie helps... seems to write the same in both eventually tho.

1920x1040 is decent the 1072 isn't continuous.

GD deff off at record. If there was a way to kill edmacs or lower cpu usage it could write faster. I think kill flicker on top helps but may not... test away.

Great work man.. 80mb/s that's awesome that's really close to what the Mark III is pushing, can't believe it & there is still room for more speed Wow!!!

1%

It is a bit bootleg, needs some refinement.. and I think after some recording the last chunk shrinks. Wonder what diff order would do now.

Well any more speed an the camera will just record full res. Its close now. Some side effects are that you lose all dialogs.

GregoryOfManhattan

sounds like the dial is really going to hit 11. :D

John-Jo

Quote from: 1% on June 20, 2013, 05:46:40 AM
It is a bit bootleg, needs some refinement.. and I think after some recording the last chunk shrinks. Wonder what diff order would do now.

Well any more speed an the camera will just record full res. Its close now. Some side effects are that you lose all dialogs.

AWESOME!
-awaiting komputerbay 64GB and praying it aint a dud.   ....any day now...
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

hijodeibn

Quote from: albert-e on June 20, 2013, 01:50:13 AM
When do we need Macboot.? It was never mentioned in ML Installation. Do we need to use to properly install ML and forward.?

Macboot?...first time I heard is needed for ML.....can anyone of the expert (@gregory, @1%, @Andy, etc) give us some light?
how do we install RAW after the ML firmware is loaded?

briwil

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 20, 2013, 07:16:25 AM
Macboot?...first time I heard is needed for ML.....can anyone of the expert (@gregory, @1%, @Andy, etc) give us some light?
how do we install RAW after the ML firmware is loaded?

It's needed for SDXC cards; it's in the installation guide. Needed for 64gb and higher cards.
wiki.magiclantern.fm/install