50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Yea, with DMM. Show normal voltages.. but they are cheapies... maybe lithium ones would work.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 02:41:16 AM
Yea, with DMM. Show normal voltages.. but they are cheapies... maybe lithium ones would work.

Probably not worth the cost only to have the same thing happen unless you have some laying around. The 50d is quite hungry. I have 2 chargers on the go all the time but my batteries are quite old.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

AndyNCode

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 02:08:41 AM
I got the komputerbay 64gb card. Formatted to fat32 (bleh).. aligned to 4096 with 64K clusters (largest fat32 formatter can make and best according to shield's tests). Still waiting on charger or ac adapter. Dunno why new AA's go from full to flat in 10 sec.

I got a similar thing happened when I firstly realigned my card to 4096. Battery suddenly died after I insert the card. But nothing went wrong after I recharged it. Weird!

TVMol

Quote from: Andy600 on June 14, 2013, 07:09:13 PM
I'm going to re-write the first post later and want a few nice 'showcase' videos so everyone can see what the 50d is really capable of with raw video. I already know a few that are contenders but let me know if you have any suggestions for the following categories (need maybe 6-10):

Macro
Low Light / Night
Anamorphic
Motion
Skin
Aliasing and Moire (worst case scenarios)
Color

Any other suggestions welcome :)

Thanks!

Hi all,
Thank you all for made this possible.  It's not only an amazing story but it's the thruth ... 14 bit RAW + 50MBYTE/s when recording 24, 25, 30 frames/s on a canon 50D from 2008.

Haven't seen green screen results yet.  So if ... I suggest a cattegorie for it.

TVMol 

bzhwindtalker

Hey guys I'm still getting pink tones in all modes (not just in hightlights), despite using a recent build of RAW2dng, with the june 13 build in camera. Is it normal?
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

BokiA

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on June 15, 2013, 02:27:56 PM
Hey guys I'm still getting pink tones in all modes (not just in hightlights), despite using a recent build of RAW2dng, with the june 13 build in camera. Is it normal?

Yes it is, when you import the DNG's to AE, they will open themselves in CRaw and there you can just move a slider for the green/magenta tint from +148 to +70 and that will remove all the pink tones and everything will look 'normal', then render it out as prores 422 and edit it :)

krashnik

I'm working on a 4k Build and other tweaks... just wondering where the latest branch is which I should use for the 50D?
I know multiple ppl have various branches.  Any insight on which has the cleanest & most up to date code?

bzhwindtalker

Here's my first real edit with the 50D, cant wait to get shooting projects with it!
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: krashnik on June 15, 2013, 06:29:40 PM
I'm working on a 4k Build and other tweaks... just wondering where the latest branch is which I should use for the 50D?
I know multiple ppl have various branches.  Any insight on which has the cleanest & most up to date code?

Yeah contact @Gregoryofmanhattan his been working diligently on 50D's code & thanks to his hard work we currently getting 70mb/s.  Are you talking about 4K build for the 50D or I'm reading it wrong? Is that even possible?

1%

I'm going to say no... but let him try to surprise us.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on June 15, 2013, 07:35:35 PM
Here's my first real edit with the 50D, cant wait to get shooting projects with it!

That is beautiful man great test.. What shots were shot in 2000X crop mode cause I can't tell the difference in quality.  Keep the videos coming... if you really wanna tweak your images you should try to concert to .DNG's and do your initial color correction with Adobe Camera Raw in After effects. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 08:40:11 PM
I'm going to say no... but let him try to surprise us.

That's what I said too.. let's wait and see.  I see you having problems with batteries on your 50D because you don't have the charger, hope you get it up and running soon..  When is your charger coming?

krashnik

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 15, 2013, 08:35:18 PM
Yeah contact @Gregoryofmanhattan his been working diligently on 50D's code & thanks to his hard work we currently getting 70mb/s.  Are you talking about 4K build for the 50D or I'm reading it wrong? Is that even possible?

I just forked @Gregoryofmanhattan on bitbucket.  Hopefully that will work.  I am talking about 4k on 50D.  It will definitely work, it's just a matter of how high of quality it will be & if reverse-engineering is worth the effort.  I'll post progress on bitbucket. Best of luck to other weekend coders!

CFP

Quote from: krashnik on June 15, 2013, 09:14:59 PM
I am talking about 4k on 50D.  It will definitely work
That's interesting. 14-bit RAW videos with a resolution of 4096 X 2304 at 24 frames per second require 378 Megabyte/s write speed.
Might become a little tight with the 50D's write speed ... ;D

But for silent pictures 4K would be a nice feature on all Canon DSLR.

krashnik

Quote from: CFP on June 15, 2013, 09:27:58 PM
That's interesting. 14-bit RAW videos with a resolution of 4096 X 2304 at 24 frames per second require 378 Megabyte/s write speed.
Might become a little tight with the 50D's write speed ... ;D

But for silent pictures 4K would be a nice feature on all Canon DSLR.

I'm not talking about 4K raw.  I'm talking about JPG at 4k.  This requires significantly less throughput.  We already have small JPG image capability on the camera, just need to put this in silent burst mode and see how many frames per second we can make happen with it. 

This mod will allow us to sacrifice dynamic range & low-light capability for increased resolution with the same bandwidth.  We can also start with 8-bit and work our way up to higher br until bandwidth is at max threshold.

a1ex

just need to put this in silent burst mode and see how many frames per second we can make happen with it. 

This is the easiest part. The question is... how do you get high-res jpegs without moving the shutter?

Low-res jpegs are trivial, and so is mjpeg. See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2803.0 (one of my posts from there contains a mjpeg video, 1120x752 on 5D2)

1%

QuoteWhen is your charger coming?

I'm tracking and says out for delivery... but its saturday 3PM so I dunno wtf the post office is doing.

Lol, it wasn't that trivial since it never got 100% usable and the FPS wasn't that big... maybe now with edmac on 50D/5D2 it would work because of lv_save_jpeg.

a1ex

Yes, back then it wasn't trivial, but now I expect it to work just fine on old cameras if you replace the source buffers in raw_rec and slap a mjpeg header.

On 5D3 I still don't know how to get the jpegs, except for the EOS utility trick.

1%

The jpeg function still didn't work for me when I was tethered, just crashed LV. On 600D tetherin worked... seems like a nice idea to revisit and possible to just cache hack the jpeg to be larger sized... it has the whole raw size to work with. But even in EOS utility the FPS is closer to 20 with the small ones.. maybe the jpeg engine isn't fast enough? And 2 in 2 out would imply it processes 2 frames at once?

Also lv_save_sndpass size should be investigated for 422. That way maybe there could be a choice, RAW -> 422 -> jpeg. Would completely obsolete H264

krashnik

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 10:29:29 PM
The jpeg function still didn't work for me when I was tethered, just crashed LV. On 600D tetherin worked... seems like a nice idea to revisit and possible to just cache hack the jpeg to be larger sized... it has the whole raw size to work with. But even in EOS utility the FPS is closer to 20 with the small ones.. maybe the jpeg engine isn't fast enough? And 2 in 2 out would imply it processes 2 frames at once?

Also lv_save_sndpass size should be investigated for 422. That way maybe there could be a choice, RAW -> 422 -> jpeg. Would completely obsolete H264

Yes, this is why I want to revisit it.  I believe the knowledge gained from RAW can be applied to what you have already tried on JPG in past. 
I feel the architecture of the canon firmware was designed to accept slow CF cards.  We could optimize this for 1000x cards only - which would cause slower cards to crash, but at least give us new buffers & capabilities for the faster cards we have today. 

The RAW -> 422 -> jpeg setup sounds great as long as the buffer doesn't get filled too quickly since we will be re-introducing compression.

1%

True.. if you're up for it start disassembling the FW. 50D has other stuff to FIX first so its at least up to 5DII.

QuoteI feel the architecture of the canon firmware was designed to accept slow CF cards.

Why, it just kinda works with whatever you throw into it. For the buffers it may help to somehow alter the contiguous memory to be faster. Right now only the first chunk is 29M and the rest are 27. I dunno if optimal write on this camera is closer to 31MB or 28, 29, etc. Memory can be "re-organized" by several functions in the resource manager... also find a way to get the blue blocks back.

Check the asm+hardware first tho... this isn't a 1 day and you're done type of thing unless you're superman.

Frerichs

Second test video. First using the 08June13 build.  Still experiencing a lot of magenta frames (1-5 per 30 second shots) and a lot more "flickering" as in jumping aperture.  Average write speed was 57mbps and had no issues with the buffer (usually 1 star, maybe 2 stars) and could record without filling up the buffer.

Used a Lexar 64gb 1000X card, Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 taking lens and Moller Bolex 1.5x anamorphic lens.  Shot on a gloomy windy day, mid afternoon.

Workflow RAW>RAWMagic>Photoshop>Quicktime>Final Cut 7 (export from QT at 1280x720 then scaled to 640x480 with -33% for anamorphic)

Recorded at 1584x892 at 1600 using all of the forum suggestions.

JulianH

Nice shots Frerichs, I don't understand why you have those issues. I don't experience any of them. Try a clean install and a new build I'd say...

Btw: why didn't you unsqueeze the footage? You shot 16:9 with an 1.5x anamorphic, but your final export is 16:9 (and looks squeezed) - you should resize the 1584 width to 150% (2376 pixels).

I don't know how it works in FCP, but in Premiere I just make a project with my desired resolution (in your case that would be 2376x892) then import the files and stretch the clips (150% in your case). Then you could export to 1920x720 for example.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Frerichs on June 15, 2013, 11:19:39 PM
and a lot more "flickering" as in jumping aperture. 

This was probably caused by Adobe camera raw, I got the same issue as have others. ACR seems to be doing auto adjusting behind the scenes and causing a flicker in the highlights. So far there doesn't seem to be a solution, other than going direct to Resolve.