50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockfallfilms

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 12, 2013, 08:44:51 PM
posting a build with the latest code if anyone has time to try and report back confirming that Idle time shows up.
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/12june13-50D-8823d8ad10ef.zip
don't have time to test it myself now.
thank you.

Working for me, 68mb/s, 10% idle
Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

a1ex

Yeah, instead of 0% it prints milliseconds.

With 68MB/s and 10% idle, you can push it to around 75, no?

aquinozp

Sorry if someone already posted this.  This is from the CinemaDNG discussion thread.

User chmee created the tool raw2cdng which will convert ML raw video to 16 or 12bit CinemaDNG files.  These files are compatible with Davinci Resolve!!!  8)

Link to thread here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.100

Link to his download page here http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

BokiA

Just wanted to share a recent video I made.
The last two shots were examples of how much you can push the footage. :D

rockfallfilms

Quote from: a1ex on June 12, 2013, 09:05:52 PM
Yeah, instead of 0% it prints milliseconds.

With 68MB/s and 10% idle, you can push it to around 75, no?

Can't seem to get it to go past 68mb/s

Which mode and res should i be testing in?

breaker

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 12, 2013, 08:44:51 PM
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/12june13-50D-8823d8ad10ef.zip

I have a lot of problems with the Auto ETTR in this build. Since Recording has been moved to Set button I have choosen Shutter Doubleclick, but it's not always working. The result is also most of the time wrong. On the build from 08june13 it was great - also with Shutter Doubleclick selected!

Just for info; I'm waiting for a  Toshiba 64 GB 1066X which hopefully will arrive this weekend. I will post my benchmark then. Now i'm just playing with a Kingston 266X...
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

JulianH

Rockfallfilms: Try 1920x960 in 5x zoomed mode. It needs 73.7MB/s. Or 2000x910 at 72.8MB/s.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: JulianH on June 12, 2013, 10:25:07 PM
Rockfallfilms: Try 1920x960 in 5x zoomed mode. It needs 73.7MB/s. Or 2000x910 at 72.8MB/s.

All of a sudden I'm only getting 40mb/s in any mode i try. Card must need a format.

Ok, it's picked back up again but only to 65mb/s in the resolutions above, recording stops pretty quickly.

Hokie123

So I'm getting my Komputerbay 64gb Card tomorrow.  Could someone list the steps I should take to test out my card, such as proper way to format/ benchmark/ etc? I want to make sure the card is fast enough so I don't have to RMA it.

rockfallfilms

How is everyone working out the framing in crop mode? I just had a play about with it but it's hard to know what's in frame.

artiswar

DaVinci seems to be the best workflow. @BoKia - You can pull more out if you open RAWMagic processed CDNGs in DaVinci and set the clip setting to BMD film. See below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

menoc

Quote from: a1ex on June 12, 2013, 08:22:25 PM
Wait a minute, you aren't getting any idle time at all?!

Hey Alex here my idle time mine reports at 1600/16:9. I ran a test to see the consistency of writing to the card. Basically I emptied the card. Then , from a completely cool down camera I started recording and let it record until the camera filled up. On my 64GB 1000x Komputerbay Card that took 20 minutes of recording with 13 spanned files. It worked flawlessly and speed was consistent. The only concern I had was the temperature. See the image below. What are the safe temperatures the camera should be operating on? At what temperature does the camera shuts itself down to prevent damage? I'd assume that on a 128GB card you can go even longer to 40 minutes of recording . . . but would that be recommended?

Also, I know that in h.264 mode FPS Override would force the shutter to 1/FPS. Is this still the case with RAW?

menoc

Quote from: artiswar on June 13, 2013, 12:41:45 AM
DaVinci seems to be the best workflow. @BoKia - You can pull more out if you open RAWMagic processed CDNGs in DaVinci and set the clip setting to BMD film. See below.

Did you by any chance applied Hunter's 5D3 LUT to the image? Kind of looks like his Arri LUT.

artiswar

Quote from: menoc on June 13, 2013, 01:00:42 AM
Did you by any chance applied Hunter's 5D3 LUT to the image? Kind of looks like his Arri LUT.

Nope. Solely the BMD Film color space from Davinci.

AndyNCode

Quote from: a1ex on June 12, 2013, 08:53:11 PM
In this context, idle means it's not writing to the card. So, 10% of time is writing at ~80MB/s, 90% of time is just waiting for buffers to fill.

When idle time becomes 0, the buffer will slowly fill up and recording will stop eventually.

If there's a tiny bit of idle time, it's likely that recording will not stop (continuous recording). With this hint, you know how far you can go (this is used by ML to predict how much you will record at current settings).

Thanks for the explaining. Does that mean speed will not bottleneck at 70mb/s?

The peek speed I got for lower fps is 85mb/s. Hope it will happen in continuous recording in the future.

AndyNCode

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 13, 2013, 12:26:00 AM
How is everyone working out the framing in crop mode? I just had a play about with it but it's hard to know what's in frame.

With the new builds, the default zoom area is the centre of 5x crop image with about half horizontal line of 1920x1080.

I normally checked framing by guessing from the 1x mode according to the drawing in the crop mode thread, than focusing the centre in 5x, noticing edges will not show up there.

Hokie123

Quote from: Hokie123 on June 12, 2013, 11:21:07 PM
So I'm getting my Komputerbay 64gb Card tomorrow.  Could someone list the steps I should take to test out my card, such as proper way to format/ benchmark/ etc? I want to make sure the card is fast enough so I don't have to RMA it.
bump

djfremen

Quote from: Hokie123 on June 13, 2013, 04:59:05 AM
bump

If you're on a mac just download blackmagic's speed test (free). It writes a 5GB file to the card and tells you how many FPS you can expect. They may even have it for PC.

NoWii

Greetings  :D!
I've been testing raw video on my 50D for about a week now..

The first problem I had was, that my computer froze with .raw file on my card (via card reader). No idea why, but compliments to the 9th June update, which solved that problem.

My current problem is, that I can only record 12-15mb/s on raw recording. I have 16gb sandisk 30mb/s card (it achieved 27mb/s write rating on ml benchmark test). I have the latest update installed (from 11.6.) and i have formatted the card in camera (keeping ml).
Before the last update, it was even slower, about 10-12mb/s.

I scrolled trough the last two pages and noticed that you guys have much faster speeds.. Am I doing something wrong, or why does my card perform only 50% of it's potential?
Thx :)
(i hope I haven't opened up a solved issue..)

rockfallfilms

Quote from: NoWii on June 13, 2013, 01:31:41 PM
Greetings  :D!
I've been testing raw video on my 50D for about a week now..

The first problem I had was, that my computer froze with .raw file on my card (via card reader). No idea why, but compliments to the 9th June update, which solved that problem.

My current problem is, that I can only record 12-15mb/s on raw recording. I have 16gb sandisk 30mb/s card (it achieved 27mb/s write rating on ml benchmark test). I have the latest update installed (from 11.6.) and i have formatted the card in camera (keeping ml).
Before the last update, it was even slower, about 10-12mb/s.

I scrolled trough the last two pages and noticed that you guys have much faster speeds.. Am I doing something wrong, or why does my card perform only 50% of it's potential?
Thx :)
(i hope I haven't opened up a solved issue..)

Your card is too slow, most people are using Komputerbay 64gb 1000x cards which are rated at around 100mb/s write, although most people are getting about 70mb/s.

Your 16gb sandisk 30mb/s card won't write fast enough so the buffer will fill up and recording will stop.

KahL

FROM BUILD 6/8/2013

So I went ahead to do a full shoot for a commercial spot using the 50D and came back with a few notes. Some of which I'm sure you guys are aware of already, but these are notes that came up under a pressured shoot situation.

1.   I definitely need a larger card. I originally purchased a 32GB card for testing, but it's obvious that test-shooting and real-shooting are very different. I tend to use longer record times when filming for real and also swapped between 24fps and 30fps (via fps override) to gain a few more frames for slow motion in post. I'd say that the card reached 1GB of space in about 15min, give or take.
2.   The storage indicator doesn't update after footage has been captured. It will continue to say that I have 29.7GBs left on the card, even after several minutes of filming. It wasn't until I changed batteries or turned it off that the indicator updated, informing me that I had run out of space at a really bad time.
3.   50D eats batteries like nobody's business. Seriously, I may have to purchase at least 10 of these puppies.

Roman

How old are your batteries though?

I've got 4 batteries of unknown age, and yes I must admit the 50D hoofs through them a lot quicker than my 600D doing the same thing.

However I've no clue how old they are, I'm sure a fresh set wouldnt go amiss.

In other news, my Samyang 35 F1.4 has actually got a really awesome minimum focus distance even without reversing or extension tubes.

This is a crop at minimum focus distance:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/5rgrkus5.aoh.jpg

Looking forward to trying out the 5x zoom mode at MFD and seeing what interesting or horrifying things I can capture haha.

rockfallfilms

I've just bought a couple of Duracell DRC511 batteries, replacements for the BP-511A. So far they are lasting pretty well and they are only £14 each.

bzhwindtalker

Hey guys, one more report on cards and 50D recording.
I got a 1000x Komputerbay to replace the x600 one that did not write more than 24mo/sec.
Now it's all good, can shoot at full crop, 70mo/sec :) However I still have the pink picture when I zoom X5, I don't know if it is normal?
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

LEVISDAVIS

When outputting HDMI signal from 50D... I am using the May 9th build.

1. Playback of raw footage causes the camera to freeze. (Have two 50Ds and both have the same issue.)

2. ML Overlays have been very tricky. For example, I am able to view Global Draw and use my histogram for exposure settings on startup with the Canon display. Then, I will plug in the HDMI. The external monitor does not show the histograms or anything related to ML (except ML menus). When unplugging the HDMI, I am no longer able to view the ML histograms and feature sets on the Canon display during liveview. It's almost like the camera is back to the original Canon factory settings.

a. When turning on raw_recording I am able to display part of what may appear to be an ML on-screen overlay on the external monitor. It's like part of a very large white square, a square that is offset of the screen. It is blinking.

b. Also, when the camera is recording footage the recording bars are blinking on screen. However, it's nearly impossible to view the status of just how much footage has been captured and how many MB/s the camera is writing to the card.

Oh, I'm outputting the HDMI signal to an 23" LED monitor. It's not a production monitor. BUt that shouldn't affect the test, right?

Lastly, I was able to view the correct ML Global Draw LiveView overlays as though the external monitor were the same as the Canon display, but only one time. I have not yet been able to re-create the same results... This occurred after adjusting ML menu feature sets in the ML menu and not upon upon start up of the external monitor.

... Just want to say thanks g3ggo and ML Team! Thanks GreggoryofManhattan, JulianH... and other ML testers.
Levi S. Davis