50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacssfreak

Quote from: Andy600 on June 11, 2013, 10:58:29 PM
Have you tried a benchmark in movie mode with LV and raw video enabled? Speeds will be less but more accurate of achievable raw video performance.

Also, have you tried Gregory's new upload? https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads (I'm getting slower benchmarks with this build for some reason and my batteries just died so I need to charge before trying it again)

In LV with raw video enabled the camera stalls while benchmarking. I have no idea why it performs so weird.

Andy600

Quote from: dacssfreak on June 11, 2013, 11:09:14 PM
In LV with raw video enabled the camera stalls while benchmarking. I have no idea why it performs so weird.

Yes, I'm getting that happen to  ???

BTW here is a benchmark I pulled off just before my batteries died using Gregory's very latest build (uploaded today).

Transcend 600x UDMA7 16GB

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

hijodeibn

Quote from: menoc on June 11, 2013, 11:02:57 PM
Lexar Profesional 32GB 600x. Stable @1600/16:9 with the June 9th build:

Thanks menoc!......I just bought a Lexar 32GB 1000x which I should receive tomorrow......hope it will perform at least as you showed.

Ifani

@ breaker & goldenchild9to5

i reinstalled ML (vers. 9th of june) and downloaded the latest raw2dng.exe
(https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads)
and gave it an other try.
luckily it worked but i don't know why:)

thank you for your help.

Rolfe Klement

Wow - I am getting 70mb with latest build!! Thanks to all.

Someone showed me there is a useful filter in Photoshop CS5 for DNG conversion in the sharpness tab (noise reduction - colour /luminance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh1X7MTvWyM )

Thanks again!

rockfallfilms

It was sunny at the weekend so I went and shot something. Sorry it's shaky, didn't have my shoulder rig or tripod.

- Using GregoryofManhattan's 8th June build
- Shot at 1584x892 and upscaled to 1080
- DNG's extracted with RAWMagic 1.0 Beta 4
- Raw processing in ACR
- A bit of sharpening in Resolve
- Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Viente

Sorry for OT but is it necessary to upscale 1584x892 to 1920x1080 for Vimeo if you don't have Pro account. I guess it will downscale to 720p back...

Viente

Quote from: Andy600 on June 11, 2013, 10:17:09 PM
@Ifani the 1000x isn't 'as slow as the 600x' it's actually slower

@Viente - Hey man, you got the 50d now?  8) As for the Silicon Power CF's I have no idea but from my research you need to buy 32GB and up if you're getting a 1000x speed card (although 128GB cards can be slow as is the case with the Komputerbay cards). 16GB 600x speed cards are generally faster than 1000x 16GB cards but they are not all the same. I had a Kingston 600x and it was a lot slower than my Transcend 16GB 600x. I checked both cards for alignment and both were ok but later discovered that the Kingston isn't using DMA (apparently) which would explain things.

Here are some benchmarks for (upto) 600x cards I found: http://en.gomemory.net/index.php?page=cf

Yeah couldn't resist :) Found a very hard used body with a lot of scratches and scars, but very cheap (about 300 USD). I called Canon and they can replace the case for about 150 USD which is not bad.

Not so many options to buy fast CF cards in local stores without pre ordering. I'll try that Silicon Power and post my results tomorrow.

Andy600

@Viente - Nice deal! Got the same problem here regarding CF cards. Very limited selection of fast ones locally. I'm interested to know how the Silicon Power cards perform because I can get them here quite cheap. Sandisk/Lexar are almost double the cost of US prices :(
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Viente on June 12, 2013, 12:52:39 AM
Sorry for OT but is it necessary to upscale 1584x892 to 1920x1080 for Vimeo if you don't have Pro account. I guess it will downscale to 720p back...

I finished in 1080p to test the workflow for future projects. Vimeo will just scale it.

simulacro

With the new 09 june build: 285 frames at 25p size 1584 with my 60MB/s Sandisk Extreme. Very happy

GregoryOfManhatann, Thank you very much!

edit: now i get 200 frames, not so bad :)

Chris50d

Well after testing the latest build i found one interesting thing... when i enable h264 movie mode, before shooting raw footage i get 50mb/s speed. if i disable movie mode i get 45-46 mb/s..humm interesting..
another interesting fact was that my digic 4 got so hot like 48deg that i think that fogged the back of my 24.70 l lens -.-'
could this be possible? i mean like the lens is weather sealed and this didn't happened before...

AndyNCode

Quote from: Ifani on June 12, 2013, 12:20:44 AM

i reinstalled ML (vers. 9th of june) and downloaded the latest raw2dng.exe
(https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads)
and gave it an other try.
luckily it worked but i don't know why:)

I also got the same problem of "camera model isn't supported by the installed version of camera raw" on DNGs from some RAW files, after I install the newest build. Perhaps, I need to reinstall the whole thing again to keep use RAW2DNG. Luckily, RAWMagic saved those problematic RAW file with ease. I think I will stick to RAWMagic from now on, because it gave me easier previews of CinemaDNGs than photo-DNGs from RAW2DNG.

Here are some results of SUPER MACRO clips of MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro lens combined with 5x crop mode about plankton in my nano fishtank. Fish and shrimp shots are h264, which are dramatically softer than the raw clips. But H264 are quick and dirty, working fine together with the raw sequences, although with noticeable differences.

With up to 15x macro capability, I just realised how many protists can live on a tiny stone :o . Big Diotam can be easily spotted when a baby snail  is grazing on them.

And also! Timelapse haven't been this easy to simply use 2-12fps at 1920x1080 to reveal the slow movements of protists. Big thanks to this wonderful community and developers!  ;D

AndyNCode

Quote from: Viente on June 12, 2013, 12:58:20 AM
Yeah couldn't resist :) Found a very hard used body with a lot of scratches and scars, but very cheap (about 300 USD). I called Canon and they can replace the case for about 150 USD which is not bad.

Not so many options to buy fast CF cards in local stores without pre ordering. I'll try that Silicon Power and post my results tomorrow.

Just read your post! Stay away from Silicon Power! I got a 32GB 600X, only gave me 37m/s, very sad! And I just got KomputerBay from US Fedex (7days to AU), 67m/s stable, so easy!

Dunc101

Quote from: AndyNCode on June 12, 2013, 06:37:48 AM
I also got the same problem of "camera model isn't supported by the installed version of camera raw" on DNGs from some RAW files, after I install the newest build. Perhaps, I need to reinstall the whole thing again to keep use RAW2DNG. Luckily, RAWMagic saved those problematic RAW file with ease. I think I will stick to RAWMagic from now on, because it gave me easier previews of CinemaDNGs than photo-DNGs from RAW2DNG.

Here are some results of SUPER MACRO clips of MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro lens combined with 5x crop mode about plankton in my nano fishtank. Fish and shrimp shots are h264, which are dramatically softer than the raw clips. But H264 are quick and dirty, working fine together with the raw sequences, although with noticeable differences.

With up to 15x macro capability, I just realised how many protists can live on a tiny stone :o . Big Diotam can be easily spotted when a baby snail  is grazing on them.

And also! Timelapse haven't been this easy to simply use 2-12fps at 1920x1080 to reveal the slow movements of protists. Big thanks to this wonderful community and developers!  ;D

Hi Andy,

This video is incredible!! It really is fantastic.
Which build did you use as I can't get that resolution on my build? Can i do this on the 5d as reduced frame rate May allow theis resolution. How did you set up lights and did you put your lens up against the glass of the tank.
I am hoping to make a tank of pond life and film similar animals for a kids show.

Thanks
D

AndyNCode

Quote from: Dunc101 on June 12, 2013, 04:02:52 PM
Hi Andy,

This video is incredible!! It really is fantastic.
Which build did you use as I can't get that resolution on my build? Can i do this on the 5d as reduced frame rate May allow theis resolution. How did you set up lights and did you put your lens up against the glass of the tank.
I am hoping to make a tank of pond life and film similar animals for a kids show.

Thanks
D

Glad you like it! I'm using 9th June build but with a slow 600x card which only give me 37mb (just receive komputerbay today that give me 67mb). Anyway I shot the most microscopic clip with 2-4fps at 1920x1080 crop mode, partially because of my slow card, but also because I need timelapse.

5D definitely can do it, I guess you can get 15-20fps at 1920x1080 (both crop mode or 1x nearly 1080p mode) with a fast card.

I used 20+ led arrays as a diffused light and a led torch on the side as the shadow light to darken the background. The lens I am using it's the beast macro MP-E 1-5x, thats why it's interesting to try even higher power of magnification by crop mode to get microscopic video, meanwhile, still give me several centimeters to work with away from the glass. Normal 100mm macro lens will do it on relatively larger plankton with even more working distance.

I'm quite interested in your pond life film. Hope to follow up your progress in future.

Cheers,

Andy

araucaria

Is there any way to have slow framerates without rising exposure compared to normal framerates? (and without having to use an ND filter)

Roman

Dont think so, apart from apeture or ND filters.

Situation might get a little better if someone fishes around and finds a native 24fps mode to reduce fps from rather than 30.

simulacro

With june 09 build in a 60 MB/s card, -memory hack off- i am getting more frames, 300, even with raw histograma on. Raw zebras uses lots of memory, only get 100 frames , -1584 resolution--

AndyNCode

Hey guys, could anyone remind me where did we talked about this? The thread is huge to go through to find something about this unusual writing speed. I sort of remember someone mentioned this before.

70mb build, Komputerbay 64GB 1000X crop mode 1920x1080 2fps (that's why it does't make sense)
Otherwise the card stabilised at around 68mb/s

a1ex

Wait a minute, you aren't getting any idle time at all?!

AndyNCode

Quote from: a1ex on June 12, 2013, 08:22:25 PM
Wait a minute, you aren't getting any idle time at all?!

Yes, I will get it seconds later. 89-91% idle. Speed varies at 75-80mb/s. Sorry for the dummy question, I don't really know what idle is...

GregoryOfManhattan

posting a build with the latest code if anyone has time to try and report back confirming that Idle time shows up.
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/12june13-50D-8823d8ad10ef.zip
don't have time to test it myself now.
thank you.

a1ex

In this context, idle means it's not writing to the card. So, 10% of time is writing at ~80MB/s, 90% of time is just waiting for buffers to fill.

When idle time becomes 0, the buffer will slowly fill up and recording will stop eventually.

If there's a tiny bit of idle time, it's likely that recording will not stop (continuous recording). With this hint, you know how far you can go (this is used by ML to predict how much you will record at current settings).

JulianH

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 12, 2013, 08:44:51 PM
posting a build with the latest code if anyone has time to try and report back confirming that Idle time shows up.
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/12june13-50D-8823d8ad10ef.zip
don't have time to test it myself now.
thank you.
Just checked, it works.
Noticed that sometimes it displays idle time in ms and then in %. The milliseconds showed up when I was recording at the card limit I think, after a while it changed to 1% (and then stopped recording shortly after).

Build seems fast. Squeezed out more than 4GB on 1584x950 with my card (limits around 60MB/s) never got that far I think.

Hopefully get my Komputerbay 64GB tomorrow :)