50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

@krummi - I don't personally have a Mk2 but it does have a slight edge in resolution and better low light ability due to it's full frame sensor. It also doesn't have the 1.6x crop factor of APS-C cameras like the 50d. As for false detail, the DNGs are relatively soft and most footage that has been posted has IMO been over-sharpened. I think this area needs a better workflow to achieve less fringing etc. I think a hacked GH2 will still have an edge over the 50d for detail but obviously not the color depth.

The 50d is a bargain as it shoots better resolution (even when upscaled) compared to H.264. The Rebel cameras get close to H.264 resolution when upscaled but they don't look as good to my eyes and have limited shooting times because of the SD interface.

If a 5d2 is 2.5x the price I would save some money and get a 50d then start saving for a 5d Mk3. I can't see any point getting the 5d2 unless you want that sensor size and a little better low light capability.

One thing to note is that the 5d Mk2 seem to share the same CF controller so they will both max out around the same time. You can get slightly larger frame sizes on the 5d2 but shooting time for larger frame sizes will be reduced.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Hey Krummi,

Have a look at my videos if you haven't seen them. I usually turn sharpness off or at least turn it off in ACR and add a bit in premiere after resizing. I don't like that overprocessed/sharpened 'raw' look either.

I think the hacked GH2 will still beat the 50D on detail for 1080p landscape shots for example (I have a GH2 myself but haven't touched it since I got the 50D... should do a 1vs1 test). But detail isn't everything. I gladly trade some detail for the dynamic range, brilliant colours and all the possibilities it gives you in post. The 50D is definitely better in low light than the GH2.

The 5D II has the same problems as the 50D: moire/aliasing can be nasty in some situations. In real life I can work around it most of the times.

I'd say, keep the GH2 and get a 50D next to it. If you don't like it or if you want to upgrade to the 5D II, it shouldn't be difficult to sell the 50D. It's a very good investment right now and I think you'll love it (I absolutely do). Still it will be good to have a second camera for the times you don't want to bother with shooting process/storage heavy raw.

Viente

Here is few shots from today shooting of music video. The uncompressed footage impressed me a lot! Such a shame YouTube conversion killed it :)

Just very fast draft color correction

ciardi

a night shot example... at iso 200, 400 & 800. RAWMagic + DaVinci Resolve.

krummi

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I'm leaning towards your advice to get a 50D and see if I can muster up the cash for a MKIII down the road.

To be sure, are there any good DNG sequences from relatively new build from the 50D I can download and play with?

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 09, 2013, 10:31:15 PM
@Evan: your actual FPS is still weird...
Did you tweak your fps timers A+B? mine are on 686 and 1751, that gives me exact 23.976.
Just trying to help...
Or am I wrong that it isn't advisable to use an actual fps lower than 23.976?

Will check the cpu usage.

Not recommended. With the 50D you will have to record audio externally and synch in post. You will have synching problems if you deviate from 23.976 (23.988) or 24.

There is a reason for 23.976. Especially if you are doing professional work for broadcast.

scarimbolo

Hi, just dowloaded the RAW-Module for the 50D I am confronted with 1 problem: into which folder on my CF-card should I put the RAW_REC.MO? I've tried various folders but it just doesn't work... please help! Thanks in advance!

menoc

Quote from: scarimbolo on June 10, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
Hi, just dowloaded the RAW-Module for the 50D I am confronted with 1 problem: into which folder on my CF-card should I put the RAW_REC.MO? I've tried various folders but it just doesn't work... please help! Thanks in advance!

Make a folder in the ML directory and name it "MODULES". Place the following files there:  magic.sym, raw_rec.mo

And also make sure you are using the Autoexec.bin from the latest build. See the post below for more info . . .

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg39086#msg39086

evanamorphic

Has anyone successfully gotten all the standard ISO values to work? As of now, the only ISO values that alter exposure for me are 160, 320, 640, etc. Flipping between ISO 200, 400, 800 does nothing in LiveView.

JulianH

Quote from: evanamorphic on June 10, 2013, 05:54:32 PM
Has anyone successfully gotten all the standard ISO values to work? As of now, the only ISO values that alter exposure for me are 160, 320, 640, etc. Flipping between ISO 200, 400, 800 does nothing in LiveView.
Enable H264 Movie mode (!!) and force exposure override (in the first ML tab) - iso 100/200/400 etc works for me.

akumiszcza

My first tests of 50D raw video:

Photos, I mean videos :), taken with Canon 100-400 LIS lens. I had only a Sandisk 30MB/s card, so the resolution was about 1200x600 (I tested several of them). It's nice to be able to process 14-bit dng files.

I used @GregoryOfManhatten's 28 may build. The new 8 June build is especially interesting to me for Auto-ETTR and silent pics functions.

Several questions if I may:
1. How to turn off Live view mode in raw video? Pressing live view again stops it only, turning off camera deletes all settings.
2. Is it possible for ML to remember raw video settings?
3. Was anybody able to use Auto-ETTR of the new build in photo mode? It worked for me (more less) in Live view mode only.

evanamorphic

Quote from: JulianH on June 10, 2013, 05:58:26 PM
Enable H264 Movie mode (!!) and force exposure override (in the first ML tab) - iso 100/200/400 etc works for me.

I had them both on and it still wasn't working.  But then my camera crashed, and I had to remove the battery a few times and now all the ISO settings are working again.

Ok never mind, it looks like ISO 160, 320, 640, etc. are the only values that work in 5x zoom.

Andy600

Quote from: akumiszcza on June 10, 2013, 06:10:53 PM

Several questions if I may:
1. How to turn off Live view mode in raw video? Pressing live view again stops it only, turning off camera deletes all settings.
2. Is it possible for ML to remember raw video settings?
3. Was anybody able to use Auto-ETTR of the new build in photo mode? It worked for me (more less) in Live view mode only.

1. You can switch off raw video and movie mode in the menu.
2. Not yet and not sure if it will be possible as it's a module and doesn't use the config file
3. Same as you. LV mode only. Great feature!  8)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

bzhwindtalker

Hey guys just a report from the field, I cant' get more than 24,5mb on my Komputarbay 600x 32gb, formated in camera.
Anything I could do to improve this? Global draw is off.
Adam
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Cumulus

Quote from: krummi on June 10, 2013, 03:47:07 PM
Thanks so much for the replies guys! I'm leaning towards your advice to get a 50D and see if I can muster up the cash for a MKIII down the road.

To be sure, are there any good DNG sequences from relatively new build from the 50D I can download and play with?

Here's a 25 frame sequence to play with.
http://greatmindspro.com/temp/Canon50D_ML_June8build_DNGs.zip

a1ex

QuoteWas anybody able to use Auto-ETTR of the new build in photo mode?

Are raw zebras and histogram working in photo mode? That's a prerequisite for photo mode ETTR.

father_v

Uh oh - known issue here but was wondering if there was a solution - shot a studio test on the 50D, fine, one of the files however is 4.26GB. Accidentally - I was usually stopping recording before I got near the 4GB max - and now can't get raw2dng to open the file. Is there any solution to that?

KahL

Seriously love the work you guys are putting into this! Gonna be shooting at a gym in LI this evening, so I'll upload a couple of clips once it's all wrapped (using the June 8th build).

1%

Woot! 50D is here.. time to order a card. Have to order a charger though, only have the plug. AA batteries might do in the meantime.

araucaria

Nice to hear 1%

By the way, where do I change to Movie mode? I still get the pink tint during 5x zoom in live view so I guess I'm in photo mode but can't find the setting in the ML menu.
Sorry:
QuoteMost cameras have a dedicated movie mode on the mode dial. In this case, it's obvious what movie mode is.

However, the following cameras do not have a dedicated movie mode. For these cameras, Magic Lantern considers the following configurations as movie mode:

For Canon 5D Mark II: in LiveView, with movie recording enabled AND LiveView display set to Movie. Tip: you can change LiveView display type from Expo menu.
For Canon 50D: in LiveView, with movie recording enabled from ML menu.

Even in moviemode I still get a pink preview (June 6th build)

JulianH

Just saw 1%'s comment, looked around the room and I found two 50D chargers... Forgot to put it in the box when I was packing it, aaargggh stupid!  :-[ Sorry guys. Good to hear the camera arrived though.

@araucaria: there's no solution for the pink screen in zoom yet.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on June 10, 2013, 09:08:58 PM
Woot! 50D is here.. time to order a card. Have to order a charger though, only have the plug. AA batteries might do in the meantime.

YEAHHH  ;D    Its time for an upgrade in the 50D ML 

1%

Yea, I see tons of missing shit.

simulacro

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 10, 2013, 10:39:40 PM
Yea, I see tons of missing shit.

It's certainly a bit 'lite' compared to Tragic Lantern ;)