50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEVISDAVIS

I do use histogram, global draw, "Under 3:2" in the live view menu and also set my frames per second to low-light frame rates. This is all with the latest build.
Levi S. Davis

menoc

Is RAWMagic working for you guys with combined files??

artiswar

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 11:12:00 PM
@artiswar yes, you need to

cd DIRECTORY_OR_PATH_WHERE_THE_FILES_ARE

to the directory where the files are or include the directory (or path) as part of the "cat" concatenate command.

cat /Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.RAW Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.R01 Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.R02 Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.R03 >  ~/Desktop/M08-1601-combined.RAW

where is the weird frame from ? the very last frame or somewhere in the middle.
have not tested enough with today's gamechanger build, but i have seem corrupt frames near the end of files in other builds.

Weird frame is towards the end of the files but exists for a good chunk, seemingly the spanned portion.

JulianH

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on June 08, 2013, 11:25:43 PM
I do use histogram, global draw, "Under 3:2" in the live view menu and also set my frames per second to low-light frame rates. This is all with the latest build.
What if you set FPS override to exact fps?

I think 'low light' is not ment for video, but to make the visibility better when shooting in the dark. Correct me if I'm wrong...

menoc

Quote from: artiswar on June 08, 2013, 11:30:05 PM
Weird frame is towards the end of the files but exists for a good chunk, seemingly the spanned portion.

Make sure when you're addressing you're home folder you start with the tilda (~). Such as:  ~/Desktop/M08-1441.RAW

Ifani

Quote from: menoc on June 08, 2013, 11:13:52 PM
You're right. RAW is only affected by Exposure settings. The effect you see is being done by your RAW converter . . .

hm i think i dont understand, why turning sharpness in ml menus down if it doesnt affect raw recording.
also picture styles dont have an influence on raw recording do they?

i would appreciate a less sharper image due to the problem of alaising (in my eyes the only "problem" of the 50D raw)
apart from that, its imagequality is just mindblowing and high prieced like.
reverence
greetings and big thanks:)

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 08, 2013, 11:48:04 PM
What if you set FPS override to exact fps?

I think 'low light' is not ment for video, but to make the visibility better when shooting in the dark. Correct me if I'm wrong...

23.976 is better to work with when you sync with audio recorded at 48khz. Most everything digital is shot at 23.976 to avoid the extra step of slowing film shot at 24 to 23.976  for digital . . . But it's not set in stone. You can shoot at true 24 as well but you'll have to get your audio sped up or slow to sync it with the video.

JulianH

Quote from: menoc on June 09, 2013, 12:17:56 AM
23.976 is better to work with when you sync with audio recorded at 48khz. Most everything digital is shot at 23.976 to avoid the extra step of slowing film shot at 24 to 23.976  for digital . . . But it's not set in stone. You can shoot at true 24 as well but you'll have to get your audio sped up or slow to sync it with the video.
You can use FPS override 'exact fps' at 23.976 (or something very, very close at least I think. You have to tweak the clock a bit in the fps override settings). I just thought using the 'exact fps' option would make more sense than 'low light'.

menoc

Quote from: Ifani on June 09, 2013, 12:05:05 AM
hm i think i dont understand, why turning sharpness in ml menus down if it doesnt affect raw recording.
also picture styles dont have an influence on raw recording do they?

i would appreciate a less sharper image due to the problem of alaising (in my eyes the only "problem" of the 50D raw)
apart from that, its imagequality is just mindblowing and high prieced like.
reverence
greetings and big thanks:)

Well, I was wrong in saying that sharpness affects RAW - it doesn't. Basically, RAW is only affected by your exposure settings like aperture and shutter. When you open a RAW file in a RAW converter such as ACR, then ACR will apply some default secondary settings such as sharpness. So, the best way to avoid moire is like Alex said, avoid that sort of environment, shoot a bit defocused or use a filter - which is not available for the 50D at this point.

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 09, 2013, 12:27:38 AM
You can use FPS override 'exact fps' at 23.976 (or something very, very close at least I think. You have to tweak the clock a bit in the fps override settings). I just thought using the 'exact fps' option would make more sense than 'low light'.

They called it "Low light" because it does help in low lighting situations.

JulianH

Doesn't it mean it helps you to view the live view better in low light situations? Live view is 1/30 by default. Say you a shooting at 1/15 sec (photo) you can use fps override low light to get the actual 1/15s preview. That's what I understand at least.

Just noticed that on the june8 build you can choose exact fps at 23.976 - so I'm using that. Probably low light at 23.976 does exactly the same.

Firing up the new build... Results soon!

rue

Finally had a chance to quickly try out the June 8th build

:-) :-) :-)

I'm getting a rock solid 2000x800 with write speeds maxing out at slightly below 66 MB/s. And this with my Komputerbay card benchmarking way below Gregor's. Also works with GlobalDraw on, all features underneath explicitely set to "off".

Great work, Gregor! Thanks!

rockfallfilms

How do I set 2000x800? If I go into the size options and try to change anything it just defaults back to 1584x892

Roman

rue

2000x800 is set in 5x zoom mode with 2048 width and Aspect Ratio 2.5:1 (you will only be able to access these settings if you activate LV, then zoom 5x and then go into the ML RAW menu)

rockfallfilms

Ah right, thanks for that.

7thRest

With the June 08 build, on start up I'm getting a ML/DATA/FONTS.DAT retry...

As descriptive as the error is, I get a font (in ML menu) that may be understood by someone living over the greater seas. How shall it be rectified?

By the way, thanks for the work guys -I purchased a 50D and am thinking of selling the 60D for another 50D plus cards -have been using ML for a year now and have not looked back despite the naysayers.

Edit:

Followed these instructions and it solved the problem:

should load on top of my 28May13 build, smeangols or ML 2.3 -
re-format card
delete ML Config
replace AUTOEXEC.bin
replace MODULES folder
50D ML RAW, 60D ML

menoc

I predict we could do at least 2K RAW or better if we can get 10-bit recording to work . . .

KahL

Using the latest unified build from today myself. Very stable, even when filming the full 1:1 frame of the sensor. I'll definitely be using this feature for plate shooting now for a 2.35:1 re-frame :)

novielo

i tried the build of today without good results.
maybe because i don't know where to look at.

did the scripts folder.
loaded the raw_rec module

but i can't figure out how to start recording in raw or define what resolution to use. no place to be found for these 2 issues.

novielo

forgot to write that the magic.sym doesn't seems to load.

i erased magic.cfg so ML can make a fresh one. without any results

the 28th may is working. i chamged the raw_rec.mo for the one of today but got the vram_clear_lv failed to link modules message

Frerichs

Using the May 28 build and the settings recommended throughout this post, I did a test run and posted the video on Vimeo.  I have a Lexar 64Gb 1000X card and was able to record at 16:9 at 57mbps without filling the buffer but had issues at 3:2 at 71mbps and couldn't achieve more than 450 frames before stopping.

I used an external SmallHD monitor via HDMI and had weird intermittent frame garbage.  I'll post a DNG of the weird magenta blown frame.  Happened in both 16:9 and 3:2.

Workflow was RAW>raw2dng>Photoshop RAW>TIFF>Quicktime>FinalCut 7. 

Shot with a Moller Bolex 1.5x anamorphic lens and Zeiss 80mm f/2.8.

www.vimeo.com/67965891

Frerichs

You might notice in some of the clips (https://vimeo.com/67965891) a slight jump, which looks similar to a dropped frame. 

I didn't notice the magenta blips in the camera display, but when hooked up to a SmallHD HDMI external monitor, I saw the attached frames.  Not consistent and sometimes 1, but usually not more than 3 in a 30-second span.

Happened with both 16:9 at 1600 using all the recommended settings as well as 3:2 at 1600.  Pretty consistent and roughly 90% of my RAW files have them. 

Examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationstarfish/8993240548/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationstarfish/8993241174/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationstarfish/8993241934/

John-Jo

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 08, 2013, 05:52:34 PM
Global draw etc off. the first 3 files were fine at 59mb/s then the write speed dropped on any further files i tried to record.

Formatting in camera didn't change anything but repartitioning and then formatting put the write speed back to 59mb/s

Hey can you tell me more about partitioning the CF card? I think I can do it though disk utility (mac) but what will this do / what size partition and what format FAT etc? Thanks.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

Fioritura

Quote from: Roman on June 08, 2013, 08:23:28 AM
6. Not 50D specific, but I find it a real pain to autofocus in video mode, and usually only do it at the start of a shot. So what I tend to do, (if not manually focus0 is turn liveview off, autofocus the camera the 'normal' way, (as this works very quickly) and then switch it back to liveview and go from there. Would it be possible to automate this sequence? Live view off > autofocus > focus confirmation > liveview on? Assuming anyone else would find that handy of course. If that could be automated to a half shutter press or something, it would be freaken sweet.

You need a high resolution external monitor to get the focus right when filming HD video. I believe there's no way around that.