50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 08, 2013, 09:15:40 PM
In what mode are you getting (2000x720) ?  is it on 5X or 10X mode, or regular 16:9 aspect ratio?   I was just reviewing some footage that I just shot with the new Unified build it seems that the shadows are really getting crushed, I'm seeing less detail in the shadows than in the May 28th Build.
1. resolution is 2000x750 (can also do 1920x720) in zoom mode - CinemaScope 8/3 - i love it.
at the moment, you can't see what you're shooting which may be why i like it  tracking the framing issue in a separate thread - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6082.msg48288;topicseen#msg48288

2. have to shoot more to look for any black crushing.

a1ex

The issue can't be fixed once the aliasing got in the digital domain; you just can't fix it in post. Well, maybe if you are Ken Rockwell so you can break some physics laws...

You can also record slightly out of focus. This will work.

Read some signal processing theory before blaming ML or conversion tools or whatever other software things.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: rommex on June 08, 2013, 09:18:14 PM
I do hope there something in the conversion, or else my investment is futile.

I did Raw2DNG -> Import to AE CS5.5 -> Save Frame

What version of Raw2DNG are you using? 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 09:29:26 PM
1. resolution is 2000x750 (can also do 1920x720) in zoom mode - CinemaScope 8/3 - i love it.
at the moment, you can't see what you're shooting which may be why i like it  tracking the framing issue in a separate thread - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6082.msg48288;topicseen#msg48288

2. have to shoot more to look for any black crushing.

That's awesome man we are inching away, when you get a chance please check it out. 

rommex

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 08, 2013, 09:37:36 PM
What version of Raw2DNG are you using?

I'm looking into properties of .exe file and there is no info on version. Where can I look up it?

rommex

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 09:31:42 PM
The issue can't be fixed once the aliasing got in the digital domain; you just can't fix it in post. Well, maybe if you are Ken Rockwell so you can break some physics laws...

Read some signal processing theory before blaming ML or conversion tools or whatever other software things.

Thanks for a nice answer )

menoc

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 08, 2013, 09:15:40 PM
In what mode are you getting (2000x720) ?  is it on 5X or 10X mode, or regular 16:9 aspect ratio?   I was just reviewing some footage that I just shot with the new Unified build it seems that the shadows are really getting crushed, I'm seeing less detail in the shadows than in the May 28th Build.

Whoe! . . . I did not even care to try it before but yes stable at 2000x750 also!!  Note:  this is 5x zoom mode

araucaria

Are the zoom 5x mode colors fixed in the new build? I can't fix them in ACR on 28th may footage.

menoc

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 09:31:42 PM

I have found absolute 0 sharpess in the ML menus combined with 0 sharpness in picture style helps  . . . But I'mnot seeing that much crap like that guy is getting. He shot the worst scenerio possible!

Nachelsoul

Gregory, the build works like a charm. Thank you so much for the hard work you have done. I got 220 frames of full 16:9with a sandisk extreme 60mb/s when with the previous buidl I could only make 50. Good work dude.

LEVISDAVIS

Re-reporting about testing 3 Canon 50D cameras. This morning after going through a series of ML feature sets, specifically global shutter, histogram, and 3:2 display mode, I was able to pass by the 52MB/s recording limit. I am using a 64GB 1000x Komputerbay card, the same card that was writing continuously in a 5:3 aspect ratio on a second Canon 50D camera. Anyway, in my last post I had mentioned that the serial number looked like a much later serial number... It made me wonder if there was some type of Canon factory quality control issue... Rest assured, this is not the case. I had a breakthrough in recording tests after adjusting the ML feature sets and seeing a difference in the write speed per second and also the number of frame captured before the recording stopped. In other words, I was fine tuning the camera. And after shooting about 20 videos in less than 3 minutes and referencing the write speed and frame per second number the camera suddenly began recording upwards of 60MB/s. Interestingly, the tests before, using the same setting as that of the second camera, were only producing a maximum of 54MB/s write speeds. I believe that I was able to reach this recording speed by turning on and off global shutter, histogram, and 3:2 aspect live view mode. It's like the monster woke up by toggling these feature sets on and off. They are now currently turned on. And I have no trouble recording at any resolution.

Sorry that I don't have an exact answer as to why the camera wasn't recording continuously past a 2:1 aspect ratio, however, the camera is now capable of writing a 4GB file in 3:2 aspect ratio with 3-4 bars on screen at a stable 67MB/s write speed.

Got the day off from work... Will be testing away!!! Woohoo! Thanks ML! Thanks everyone!
Levi S. Davis

artiswar

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 09:03:44 PM
beyond 1k - my 08June13 build is a cinema camera - getting stable 2000x720 14bit raw video - wow!

~/bin/raw2dng /Volumes/transfer/ML-TEST/M08-1349-combined.RAW
Resolution  : 2000 x 750
Frames      : 6979
Frame size  : 2625536 bytes
Frame skip  : 1
FPS         : 24.000
Processing frame 1 of 6979...
Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  0.994  0.991  1.000  1.003  0.997  0.994
Processing frame 4679 of 6979...

shooting GD enabled (had to turn off everything)
Hack mode
stable @62.5MB/s

note, it is possible to get your 50D into a very weird state as i did this morning and have it show the Canon GUI.
if you see things like that - reset everything and go through the checklist of settings (which i wish were edited into the first post of this thread)

Whoa, so that's spanning working for you then too? Processed with the cat command I'm assuming?

artiswar

Just tried joining the files in terminal and getting the bizarre switch to pseudo false color at the break in files. Any hope for spanning?

LEVISDAVIS

I have also had issues with aliasing, specifically with ropes on a golf course. There is one way to bring back the aliasing ever so much... In ACR adjust your settings for Chromatic Abboration - - Defringe - - All Edges... - - >It will help take the edge off the color fringed aliased areas.
Levi S. Davis

GregoryOfManhattan

@artiswar - yes spanning works - wished the names fell into default bash order but

cat M08-1601.RAW M08-1601.R01 M08-1601.R02 M08-1601.R03 > M08-1601-combined.RAW

works fine for me on osx (or use the windows equivalent to concatenate files) - what command did you try?

for those who would like to use the rawmagic 1.0 to convert to cinemaDNG on osx - there is a bug with today's raw files in rawmagic as reported already by @rockfallfilms @goldenchild9to5 - no need for further bug reports or testing - we have to wait a while to try again with Resolve (worked for me with a build yesterday).
files work fine with raw2dng

@araucaria - raw file colors are OK now in zoom mode and process fine.
(with older builds i found that gimp and RPP had easily available black point settings which could render OK images)

@rommex to convert from DNG to tiff or jpeg you may also want to try RPP - http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/ ( Наша группа поддержки http://raw-rpp.livejournal.com/ )

@LEVISDAVIS 67MB/s stable would be amazing

@Nachelsoul - the new build has many more resolutions possible, so on a slower card you can get 16x9 by reducing the maximum width. try the various options in the Raw Rec menu, try 1344 or 1280  see where you get continuous recording

menoc

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on June 08, 2013, 10:12:53 PM
I have also had issues with aliasing, specifically with ropes on a golf course. There is one way to bring back the aliasing ever so much... In ACR adjust your settings for Chromatic Abboration - - Defringe - - All Edges... - - >It will help take the edge off the color fringed aliased areas.

Also, Set the Noise Reduction "Color" setting in ACR to 100, and the Color Detail to 0.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: menoc on June 08, 2013, 09:52:11 PM
I have found absolute 0 sharpess in the ML menus combined with 0 sharpness in picture style helps  . . . But I'mnot seeing that much crap like that guy is getting. He shot the worst scenerio possible!

Right on Menoc.. that's what I've been doing all along and the images comes out just perfect.. 

Nameless

Hi Guys,

Fantastic work all round to everyone involved.

Im new to all this but i thought i would run this past you guys with your vast  experience, maybe you can work it out to help the build.

Could you tell me the longest i should expect to get from 3:2 mode in regards to recording time? or any mode at that. Or can someone give me a resolution that they are unable to reach 4gb with so I can test.

Sorry if it is a silly question but i was messing around and stumbled across a way for the camera to continue record for as long as your card can take or at least 10,000 frames at 66.5MB/s. Whilst keeping the stars down.

I find that after this, sometimes the files are accessible and sometimes they are not.

Data is certainly on the card but it doesn't always let me extract the dng's, but that may be down to my process...as im still learning.
I have tried to attach a screenshot showing 25gb at 66.8 mb/s,  but not sure how to lol.

Like i said im not at all knowledgeable in this area so if i sound crazy or there is a stupid obvious reason then its okay...just thought i would run it by you guys first. So go easy on me.

artiswar

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 10:19:42 PM
@artiswar - yes spanning works - wished the names fell into default bash order but

works fine for me on osx (or use the windows equivalent to concatenate files) - what command did you try?

Did the same, do you have to enter the directory of the file along with the name? (Noob question).

Heres the frames

Roman

Quote from: menoc on June 08, 2013, 09:52:11 PM

Any sharpness settings only affect what you see on the liveview screen, being a raw file?

menoc

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 10:19:42 PM

for those who would like to use the rawmagic 1.0 to convert to cinemaDNG on osx - there is a bug with today's raw files in rawmagic as reported already by @rockfallfilms @goldenchild9to5 - no need for further bug reports or testing - we have to wait a while to try again with Resolve (worked for me with a build yesterday).
files work fine with raw2dng

@araucaria - raw file colors are OK now in zoom mode and process fine.
(with older builds i found that gimp and RPP had easily available black point settings which could render OK images)

@rommex to convert from DNG to tiff or jpeg you may also want to try RPP - http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/ ( Наша группа поддержки http://raw-rpp.livejournal.com/ )

@LEVISDAVIS 67MB/s stable would be amazing

@Nachelsoul - the new build has many more resolutions possible, so on a slower card you can get 16x9 by reducing the maximum width. try the various options in the Raw Rec menu, try 1344 or 1280  see where you get continuous recording

. . .and if you're the type that does does not like the command line, you can use a hex editor to combine the files. I use "Hex Fiend", it's light and fast and loads >4GB files with no problem. All I do is copy and paste the hex code of the spanned files at the end of the first .RAW file, then save the  new file with a new name or to a different location.

Now with file spanning working, unlimited recording is possible . . . Interviews and narratives are a go!

GregoryOfManhattan

@artiswar yes, you need to

cd DIRECTORY_OR_PATH_WHERE_THE_FILES_ARE

to the directory where the files are or include the directory (or path) as part of the "cat" concatenate command.

cat /Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.RAW Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.R01 Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.R02 Volumes/EOS_Digital/DCIM/100CANON/M08-1601.R03 >  ~/Desktop/M08-1601-combined.RAW

where is the weird frame from ? the very last frame or somewhere in the middle.
have not tested enough with today's gamechanger build, but i have seem corrupt frames near the end of files in other builds.
Quote from: artiswar on June 08, 2013, 10:46:31 PM
Did the same, do you have to enter the directory of the file along with the name? (Noob question).

menoc

Quote from: Roman on June 08, 2013, 10:57:02 PM
Any sharpness settings only affect what you see on the liveview screen, being a raw file?

You're right. RAW is only affected by Exposure settings. The effect you see is being done by your RAW converter . . .

rockfallfilms

Another test with the latest build, this time at 25fps:

Global draw on
Raw histogram on
Sound set to OFF in raw video menu
Waveform on (not sure if waveform is relevant in RAW mode or not?)

Write speed 59mb/s
Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

LEVISDAVIS

Pushing 67MB/s no problem with Komputerbay 64GB 1000x... Had to go through every setting and look at each and every sub-menu. I turned off anything not related to video... I'd be more specific but there are so many menus and adjustments... However, it's good to know there is a that much room for writing files, right?
Levi S. Davis